• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jan Nintendo Power thread (TMNT Wii Game from Smash and ex-Team Ninja devs)

donny2112

duckroll said:
Is it confirmed in the article that Game Arts is working on this, or are you just guessing?

I have the issue, and it is Game Arts. They even have an interview with Noriaki Kazama, "chief director at Game Arts" about the TMNT game. I haven't read the article, yet, but the screens look like someone modded Super Smash Bros. Brawl with a Turtles overlay. :lol

Also, good news on Spyborgs! They're scrapping what they've shown so far, and it is being "significantly retooled and will bear little resemblance to what's been shown thus far." Best news from the magazine that I've had for 10 minutes. :D Capcom = good. Spyborgs previous art-style = bad, in my opinion. :lol

Dascu

donny2112 said:
I have the issue, and it is Game Arts. They even have an interview with Noriaki Kazama, "chief director at Game Arts" about the TMNT game. I haven't read the article, yet, but the screens look like someone modded Super Smash Bros. Brawl with a Turtles overlay. :lol

Also, good news on Spyborgs! They're scrapping what they've shown so far, and it is being "significantly retooled and will bear little resemblance to what's been shown thus far." Best news from the magazine that I've had for 10 minutes. :D Capcom = good. Spyborgs previous art-style = bad, in my opinion. :lol
Good news on Spyborgs. The first footage looked like a damn cartoon cash-in.

donny2112 said:
I totally forgot about this game, does it mention when it's coming?

MisterHero

Make it based on the 80s series with voice/music samples borrowed from them and this will be so fucking bought

nothing beats uncle phil as the shredder

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
..pakbeka.. said:

It was originally 09 but I wouldn't be surprised it its pushed back to 2010 if the game is being retooled.

Penguin

donny2112 said:

I am actually interested in Spyborgs, but I wonder what the retooled graphics would look like. Think one game that could get a cel-shaded overlay for the cartoony look.

Wii 09 is really starting to shape up.

acidviper

Banned
MisterHero said:

Woah mind blown. I remember when uncle phil showed up on Family Matters too.

Anyways hopefully not more Cam Clark. I hate that guy from Denver the last Dinosaur to Akira to Liquid. His voice is so fucking annoying.

Sanjuro

As the GAF chief TMNT fan here I'm honestly not to excited. I really like the possibilty of having a comic book themed TMNT game, I just much rather have a actual adventure/action game over a Smash Brothers clone.

Still, I'm interested and most likely will check this out when it releases. I sill wish that Konami and UbiSoft extended their deal to release Turtles in Time as well to the XBLA.

wsippel

Banned
MisterHero said:
Make it based on the 80s series with voice/music samples borrowed from them and this will be so fucking bought
God no! Make it based on the original comics by Laird and Eastman!

It seems I'll get my wish, since Laird or Eastman will write the game... :D

donny2112

..pakbeka.. said:

Nope.

SPYBORGS

Though Capcom announced Spyborgs a while ago, the game has remained in hiding ever since, and with good reason - it evidently is being significantly retooled and will bear little resemblance to what's been shown thus far, other than that you'll be controlling superpowered secret agents. With former Insomniac (makers of Ratchet & Clank) staffers helming the development, we remain optimistic. - Chris H.

MisterHero said:
I'm sorry but I hate pretty much every character from the new show

Doesn't the new show have them with empty white eyes and all the same color? The art in the article shows character models with empty white eyes and all the same color, but the characters in the screenshots have different colors and irises in their eyes.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but they say they'll have "a very robust online multiplayer mode."

MisterHero

donny2112 said:
Doesn't the new show have them with empty white eyes and all the same color? The art in the article shows character models with empty white eyes and all the same color, but the characters in the screenshots have different colors and irises in their eyes.
The Eastman/Laird comics versions are the ones with red headbands and white eyes. They added the pupils to the new Turtles to make it closer to the CG movie.

I still want the 80s Turtles though. :p

Gomu Gomu

MisterHero said:

whoever makes the decision: listen to this man.

BDGAME

Dascu said:
This game is only going to be worth buying if they include a "Subspace Emissary"-ish gameplay mode.

Igree. And Tean Ninja staffs make it, with a gameplay that remenber the classics Ninja Gaiden games.

Backflip

antispin said:
My french is too middle-school to grep that "stages" bit in the middle. Could you translate s'il vous plait? Thanks.

Well, he told me that everything that was said in the article was true. Then he told me that he couldn't say anything more.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Penguin said:
I am actually interested in Spyborgs, but I wonder what the retooled graphics would look like. Think one game that could get a cel-shaded overlay for the cartoony look.

Is Spyborgs the weird, somewhat cel-shaded minigame collection that was unveiled a few months back, with some sort of minigame that seemed to resemble two freaks on a raft in a sewer?

Haunted

Pimpbaa said:
Of course something like this gets announced AFTER I sell my wii.
Whois16.gif

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Base it on the old Comic, The old Live action Movie or the Archie cartoon's. NOTHING ELSE :mad:

*EDIT*

DO NOT WANT! I thought it was a Fighter... Not some Smash Bros rubbish.

Darkpen

Banned
Router said:
Base it on the old Comic, The old Live action Movie or the Archie cartoon's. NOTHING ELSE :mad:

*EDIT*

DO NOT WANT! I thought it was a Fighter... Not some Smash Bros rubbish.
I think the new CG movie is in line with the old action movies, so I'd go for that as well.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
NEXT MONTH - An RPG explosion draws near! We'll go in depth with all the role-playing epics coming to Wii and DS, Including Dragon Quest V, Arc Rise Fantasia, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, and a few surprises.
I know we cant post pics from the magazine, but are we allowed to post the NEXT MONTH page? there might be a clue in the pic, that someone might catch.

Before any of you gets excited, remember the month before Sonic and the Black Knight was announced... expect an unexpected game (I'm not expecting a CB blowout.)

DavidDayton said:
Is Spyborgs the weird, somewhat cel-shaded minigame collection that was unveiled a few months back, with some sort of minigame that seemed to resemble two freaks on a raft in a sewer?

Yes.

wsippel

Banned
DavidDayton said:
It's not a minigame collection. It's an action adventure heavily focused on coop gameplay. The minigames are playable TV ads that "interrupt" the actual game every now and then.

SilverLunar said:
.....A fighting game?
>_>

*leaves*

you know, i have to say... i really hate that internet face. always have. okay, glad i got that out there.

edit: OH - and very exciting news! Interesting, too...would have never thought. Hopefully it's a truly great rendition of the NES/SNES ones

Nothing beats going into a topic like this, and seeing, "Ugh, it's on the Wii"

From undoubtedly the same type of poster who claims the Wii has no good games.

Irony eats up your brain forever. :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
donny2112 said:
Previous month. The Ocarina of Time 10th Anniversary interview, right?

Yeah. That was the previous issue? Weird, it just came out like 2 weeks ago.

donny2112

SilverLunar said:
That mode was the only reason I bought the game.

There is a story mode in this Turtles game, but it is not a side-scroller like Subspace Emissary. Peter Laird worked on the story.

Some other details:
* The CG TMNT movie has the most individual influence on the game, but the comics and cartoon influenced the game, as well.
* The Team Ninja folks had worked on all of the DOA games (except XBV1/2) and Ninja Gaiden series (not DS game).
* Started planning in October 2007 and actual work in January 2008.
* Nothing from previous games is really being added just because it was in the previous games. i.e. Not trying to recreate Tournament Fighters or TMNT IV.
* Game being designed for Wiimote+Nunchuk but multiple control schemes being considered. Wiimote-only? Yes. GameCube? Unknown.

So is this actually confirmed to be close to the comic book style?

I just got the NECA figures for christmas and they are such cool designs.

Also, do we have any idea who exactly is making this? Is it from that studio that Ninty made just for Brawl? Or has that been disbanded and some of the people moved to this team?

But either way, PLEASE BE FUCKING AWESOME!

TreIII

donny2112 said:
There is a story mode in this Turtles game, but it is not a side-scroller like Subspace Emissary.

Damn. I was really hoping that this game's story mode would be possibly something akin to a "Subspace Emissary done right", complete with up to 4 player co-op to really give off that old "TMNT arcade" feel.

It would have been something nice to tide over guys like myself who REALLY have been itching for another solid TMNT beat em up.

Ah well....I'm still willing to give this game a chance.

Heads up. Thrippa at TSS posted more Black Knight info from the issue:

You have at least some control over which style of fighting you use, because you acquire new skills based on the style in which you ran the level. It appears to be measured in 'stars' but the article doesn't specify if you find them or just earn them based on score.

You start in Misty Lake - dunno if you get your sword from a Lady there or not! - then go through Camelot Castle, Molten Mine and Titanic Plain (presumably among others). There are two paths through the game, so you can't play all the areas in one playthrough, and it sounds like you may be able to cross between the two like you could in ShTH.

Blaze, Shadow and Knux/Sir Gawain, as stated before, are knights loyal to Arthur, in spite of his affliction, until Sonic shows them the error of their ways. Tails is a blacksmith - and I do wish they'd stop calling him a mutant squirrel. He turns items collected into useful devices.

For once I got the magazine less than a week behind everyone else.

Sorry to double post, but I'm looking at high-quality scans of the Black Knight preview right now,m and I'll type up any info we've missed:

- Like in SR, you get a gauge-based move called the Soul Surge, which is used by holding B and then shaking the Wiimote, which has Sonic unleash *shot* a "series of deadly lock-on strikes or a blinding turbo boost that can get the hedgehog out of almost any dangerous situation".

- Some of the skills you can acquire are carried over from SR, none are specifically mentioned though. Two new ones include the Paladin's shield-breaking ability, and the Cavalier's wall-climbing Splash Jump.

- This is either a typo, or the sword is called specifically Caliburn.

- With the ability to customize your character, you can add offensive and defensive effects, such as immunity from elemental status ailments.

- Yes, the tracks in the Molten Mine are of minecarts, in case people were still thinking they were train tracks...

- YOU CAN CUT THE GRASS IN THE TITANIC PLAIN!!!

- Seems that you won't be able to visit some stages until subsequent playthroughs, oh boy...

- Tails is stupidly called a mutant squirrel... :/

- In multiplayer, you do have the option of fighting against the CPU!

- They mention a March release.

Oh, and I saved what might be the best for last:

- Sonic's in the middle of a chilli-dog feast when he's being summoned into the book! :lol :lol :lol

I can t wait for better screens, Game Arts + Team Ninja developers + Turtles could be a great game. Game looks good as i can tell but not as dark some mentioned.

Dascu

Better delete that link, no scans allowed.

As for the scans themselves: God I wish this had been a side-scrolling beat-em-up instead. :/

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hero of Legend said:
Sorry to double post, but I'm looking at high-quality scans of the Black Knight preview right now,m and I'll type up any info we've missed:

- Like in SR, you get a gauge-based move called the Soul Surge, which is used by holding B and then shaking the Wiimote, which has Sonic unleash *shot* a "series of deadly lock-on strikes or a blinding turbo boost that can get the hedgehog out of almost any dangerous situation".

- Some of the skills you can acquire are carried over from SR, none are specifically mentioned though. Two new ones include the Paladin's shield-breaking ability, and the Cavalier's wall-climbing Splash Jump.

- This is either a typo, or the sword is called specifically Caliburn.

- With the ability to customize your character, you can add offensive and defensive effects, such as immunity from elemental status ailments.

- Yes, the tracks in the Molten Mine are of minecarts, in case people were still thinking they were train tracks...

- YOU CAN CUT THE GRASS IN THE TITANIC PLAIN!!!

- Seems that you won't be able to visit some stages until subsequent playthroughs, oh boy...

- Tails is stupidly called a mutant squirrel... :/

- In multiplayer, you do have the option of fighting against the CPU!

- They mention a March release.

Oh, and I saved what might be the best for last:

- Sonic's in the middle of a chilli-dog feast when he's being summoned into the book! :lol :lol :lol

This sounds closer to a proper Sonic game than anything in years. Minus the "Tails is a mutant squirrel" thing.

[edit] Wow those TMNT screens look great. Probably because GameArts/Team Ninja has had a year to work on it. The environments appear to be even more destructable than SSBB, which is neat.

Top Bottom