• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jan Nintendo Power thread (TMNT Wii Game from Smash and ex-Team Ninja devs)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So what do people think the RPG coverage next month will be? Already known games, localization announcements, or new announcements altogether?

DQV DS? DQIX DS?
Black Sigil?
Arc Rise Fantasia?
Suikoden Tierkeris?
Avalon Code?
Valkyrie Profile DS?
Mario and Luigi 3?
Devil Survivor?
7th Dragon?

If it has to be a "new" announcement, I'd assume it's FFIV The After WiiWare based on the image in the teaser page.

Stumpokapow said:
So what do people think the RPG coverage next month will be? Already known games, localization announcements, or new announcements altogether?

DQV DS? DQIX DS?
Black Sigil?
Arc Rise Fantasia?
Suikoden Tierkeris?
Avalon Code?
Valkyrie Profile DS?
Mario and Luigi 3?
Devil Survivor?
7th Dragon?

If it has to be a "new" announcement, I'd assume it's FFIV The After WiiWare based on the image in the teaser page.

Dragon Quest V and Arc Rise Fantasia are confirmed to be in the next issue from the teaser (along with Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon).

They say 'a few surprises'. I'd guess that there will be probably be one new announcement, which might be IV: The After for Wii Ware, or maybe Dragon Quest X.

Mario and Luigi 3 would make sense to showcase, as well. And I'm sure DQ IX will be in the issue.

beje

Banned
There are already some scans for the TMNT game out there. As usual, you will have to look for them XD

Actually looks nice but it is too simmilar to Smash Bros, so much that it could really pass as a reskinning job.

Yep, just saw the scans!

The Turtle designs are right out of the movie.

The glowing is awkward looking, but I can't blame them for doing that, since from a distance, they are very difficult to tell apart unless you are a TMNT fan and can tell them apart like that easily.

The graphics are fantastic in my opinion! :D

I really hope the include GC controls, it's vital for Smash veterans like myself. :(

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
OK, some info for the TMNT game

Gamearts and Sakurai working on it along some ex team Ninja members.

Won't post the source because it has scans.

Now I am excited.

EDIT: Deleted the post because it was a transcript from the article of Nintendo Power (I had to look in the scans to notice it).

Sorry for that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Stumpokapow said:

DQV DS? DQIX DS?
Black Sigil?
Arc Rise Fantasia?
Suikoden Tierkeris?
Avalon Code?
Valkyrie Profile DS?
Mario and Luigi 3?
Devil Survivor?
7th Dragon?

Fragile!

...:(

KevinCow

Banned
Woah, that sounds awesome.

Now get on my idea of making it a crossover with Power Rangers and you'll have the single greatest game ever.

EVER.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I really want to look forward to this, but I'm not doing so until I start seeing footage.

If its too much like a Smash clone it will just go on my meh pile, despite being a Turtles fan. Brawl is enough for me. If this plays far too similar to it I'll save my money for other games.

If it's got enough different stuff going on (sounds like it might) then I'll definitely keep my eye on it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
KevinCow said:
Woah, that sounds awesome.

Now get on my idea of making it a crossover with Power Rangers and you'll have the single greatest game ever.

EVER.

Capcom's already making that game, they're replacing the Tatsunoko characters with them for the Western release.

Sike!

Struct09

Sakurai working on a TMNT game??! That's like a dream of my inner child come true.

EDIT: And I'm surprised no one here has posted the cover yet:

etzgp3.jpg

EDIT 2: I guess Sakurai's involvement is unconfirmed. I still remain hopeful.

Enkidu

Does it actually say that Sakurai is working on the game? Based on the transcript that was here before I'm not sure if he actually is.

Struct09

Enkidu said:
Does it actually say that Sakurai is working on the game? Based on the transcript that was here before I'm not sure if he actually is.

Upon closer reading, I guess it never explicitly says that.

Dascu

Uhh, I really doubt Sakurai would be working on this. Heck, there's a bigger chance of Itagaki being involved than Sakurai.

TreIII

I have the magazine for myself.

While it does state that GameArts and Team Ninja personnel are DEFINITELY involved, Sakurai, the Cherry-Don himself, as well as his company at Sora, are thus far NOT a part of this.

I would have thought that if he was, they wouldn't have any problem saying as such. After all, that would just be another great name pedigree to add. But thus far, I don't think Cherry-Don, or Sora at all, for that matter, is a part of this.

Which is just as fine, in my opinion. It'll be interested to see what kind of differences that can be generated with different people in the mix. Or at the least, maybe they'll focus on actual things that will truly have an impact on gameplay, instead of silly things like "tripping". :lol

I have the issue, and I'm taking requests for info!

Most importantly, I can confirm that Klonoa is in fact coming to NA!

Here's a small summary of the four page article:

- Seems to be JUST called Klonoa.
- Spring 2009 release.
- Original design is being kept after massive support for it in the surveys
- NA exclusive gesture controls. B for grabbing enemies and flick the Wiimote to throw them.
- Classic, Cube, and of course Sideways Wiimote controls confirmed.
- Klonoa 2 remake plans and sequel plans are mentioned.

Yep, everything said before was true.

I'm scared to think that the poor sales in Japan may cause them to reconsider their plans. :'(

Also, there's previews and mini-previews of the following big games, among others:

Rune Factory Frontier
Little King's Story
Arc Rise Fantasia
MadWorld
Muramasa The Demon Blade
Sonic and the Black Knight as we already have the summary of.
House of the Dead Overkill
Monster Hunter 3 (No NA confirmation yet)
Sin and Punishment 2

Plus more!

I can put up the entire list of games if necessary.

JSnake

Stumpokapow said:

DQV DS? DQIX DS?
Black Sigil?
Arc Rise Fantasia?
Suikoden Tierkeris?
Avalon Code?
Valkyrie Profile DS?
Mario and Luigi 3?
Devil Survivor?
7th Dragon?

MOTHER 3!

Link

The Autumn Wind
Klonoa 2 would pretty much just be a port, no? I'm definitely buying Klonoa, assuming it's priced reasonably, but I'd be hesitant to buy Klonoa 2, considering it would practically be the same game.

Zihark

ARF preview was short and old news. But RFF, LKS, STBK, MADWORLD, TMNT, GTA:CTW, CONDUIT,KLONOA had lengthy previews and interviews.

TreIII

Hero of Legend said:
I'm scared to think that the poor sales in Japan may cause them to reconsider their plans. :'(

It probably will also have a lot to do with how NA takes to this game, as well as a possible K2 remake/port.

If America pulls through, that might add extra incentive for them to maybe re-orient future Klonoa games more to American standards, ideally through possibly not being afraid to amp up the difficulty.

Ookami-chan told me about how they not only made the Wii-make much easier because of the extended life-bar, even some platforming parts that were moderately challenging before have been nerfed. Good grief, it's not like this series was all that hard before, and they made it even EASIER?! :lol

Again, all I would ask is that they just maybe up the difficulty again. I really, REALLY hope that new "design" that was shown a lil ago will never rear his ugly head ever again. :lol

Zihark

KLONOA- extras for Wii
choose to have longer life bar
some stages flattened out so easier to navigate
increase speed at which klonoa runs, length of his shot, adjust hit range of enemies, tweaked floating jump
extra costumes for klonoa, character model viewer, music player, mirror versions of all stages in game. Mirror mode has bonus areas with time-attack challenges-intended for hardcore fans. Also plans for K2 and beyond depend on this remake's recception, so its up to you NA WII owners.

Here's some more from Klonoa's article:

The director, Hideo Yoshizawa who also directed the original as well as Ninja Gaiden for the NES, says "I feel that Klonoa is a game with a very strong fanbase, and we've received a lot of requests from those fans saying that they'd like to see a new title in the series".

When Bandai and Namco merged, the vice-president Shin Unozawa, who's a fan of the franchise, asked for the team to revive it, and to start, they wanted to go back to the beginning and remake the first game, AND VIOLA!

The Wii was selected for the diversity of its users.

Klonoa of course was originally created to appeal to a wide range of fans.

Even when writing the story, they they felt it was "the type of story that could appeal to a wide range of people because children could enjoy the adventure-like aspects of it while older players could appreciate some of the emotional plot twists. And considering how the Wii as a home console has such a wide appeal, we thought it was best suited for this title."

The remake's team includes chief planner Tsuyoshi Kobayashi, visual chief Yoshihiko Arai, and sound designer Kanako Kakino.

Olaeh

I really want to like this TMNT game but in the scan I saw it looks like cheap shovelware.

I will do my part for Klonoa though, I'll buy 1 and 2 day one.

Tim-E

IsntChrisL said:
It looks like it plays a lot like Brawl. I hope they get rid of the glow too though, or at least let you turn it off.

There are scans with the glow off so it seems as if it's an option you can choose to have on.

KevinCow

Banned
I think the glow around the characters is a good idea. Sometimes I lose track of my character in Brawl, especially if I'm playing as a human character against other human characters. And in a TMNT game, you have four characters who look nearly identical except for the weapons they're holding and the colors of their headbands.

I think it could be a bit more subtle, though.

KevinCow said:
I think the glow around the characters is a good idea. Sometimes I lose track of my character in Brawl, especially if I'm playing as a human character against other human characters. And in a TMNT game, you have four characters who look nearly identical except for the weapons they're holding and the colors of their headbands.

I think it could be a bit more subtle, though.

Yeah, while it not not seem necessary, imagine playing Brawl with 4, let's say, Sonic's, where the only difference between them is a small accessory on their body (Sonic's wrist bracelets and the Turtles headbands). When the action gets really frantic sometimes you lose track of which player you are. I do wish they could make it a little subtler or, if they couldn't, just have P# or your name over your character

dyls

Zihark said:
KLONOA- extras for Wii
choose to have longer life bar
some stages flattened out so easier to navigate
increase speed at which klonoa runs, length of his shot, adjust hit range of enemies, tweaked floating jump
extra costumes for klonoa, character model viewer, music player, mirror versions of all stages in game. Mirror mode has bonus areas with time-attack challenges-intended for hardcore fans. Also plans for K2 and beyond depend on this remake's recception, so its up to you NA WII owners.

Bolded the awesome. Especially the running faster thing. Hope the time attacks have online leaderboards.

Not sure how I feel about the flattened out stages.

TreIII

Zoramon089 said:
Yeah, while it not not seem necessary, imagine playing Brawl with 4, let's say, Sonic's, where the only difference between them is a small accessory on their body (Sonic's wrist bracelets and the Turtles headbands). When the action gets really frantic sometimes you lose track of which player you are. I do wish they could make it a little subtler or, if they couldn't, just have P# or your name over your character

Like Cow, I mostly agree with this. A little aura thingie can go a long way to making sure you don't lose your character, especially on a darker stage.

My ideal way of handling it would probably be to just make it so that, when the action zooms out far enough, the aura would appear, and then disappear as the action zoomed in again. This would be something that could just serve to annex to the P# and/or Name, rather than replace it outright.

Teknoman

Getting Klonoa since I never played the retail version of the first one. If the second one gets remade to take full advantage of the Wii's strengths, and not just some PS2 port, i'll buy that too.

Davey Cakes

I'm excited to see how Klonoa turns out. Definitely keeping my eye on it; looks to be something that I'd appreciate, especially on Wii.

As for any news concerning Sonic & The Black Knight? Well, I've been pretty much completely optimistic about that from the beginning. The storybook idea for the Sonic games isn't the greatest on paper, but I heavily enjoyed Secret Rings for the things that it did right. If Black Knight is a continuation of the same basic idea presented in SSR, there's no doubt I'll be along for the ride.

TMNT could go either way. There aren't enough details yet. I'm on board with it being more of a brawler than a pure fighting game, though.

Eteric Rice

Getting Klonoa as well.

But guys, am I the only one that finds it interesting that Nintendo Power actually gets reveals and shit?

I mean, seriously.

Davey Cakes

Well, I stopped subscribing to NP when it became complete and utter crap back during the beginning of the GC era.

It's at least good to know that the magazine has made vast improvements since then.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Link said:
Klonoa 2 would pretty much just be a port, no? I'm definitely buying Klonoa, assuming it's priced reasonably, but I'd be hesitant to buy Klonoa 2, considering it would practically be the same game.

Well the Klonoa Wii look better than Klonoa 2, but maybe they will just say fuckit looks good enough. Klonoa 2 has aged pretty well though

Top Bottom