• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan’s ‘Your Name’ Poised to Win China Box Office Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

Interesting that its crushing Moana in China, wonder if that has any effect on future greenlighting especially as China overtakes the USA as the biggest movie box office market.

I know a lot of people touted that Moana was great for NOT having a love interest and stuff but I've noticed in a lot of asian markets, that is considered a pretty important part of a "good movie". Although Zootopia didn't and i think it did really well worldwide?

Disney and Pixar animated movies generally have not done well in China. Zootopia was an exception. Other studios have done better with Kung Fu Panda, Ice Age, the Despicable Me series, and even Angry Birds.

I think the problem with Moana is perhaps it being a bit too strange and eccentric for the Chinese audience to relate to. I very much related to it as I was reading its connotations but a lot of times these connotations are lost on an audience who is reading subtitles and doesn't have the cultural background to fully understand the humour, etc.

Zootopia on the other hand is very relatable to the Chinese life, many people move from their hometowns to other cities, usually bigger cities, to start a new life either for work or study; so the experience is very directly relatable to Chinese people.

I didn't watch the Japanese film yet, but I will soon. Based on his other films, I can say there are consistencies in sentiments of the youth among countries such as China and Japan based on cultural influences.

LProtag

I really want to see this.

Though, I keep remembering I haven't seen Children Who Chase Lost Voices or The Garden of Words yet, so I can watch them while I wait.

I loved 5cm per Second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom