• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan: After three days, Monster Hunter X passes MH4G on the 3DS eShop all-time chart

D974YOo.png

Monster Hunter X surpassed Monster Hunter 4G (Ultimate) LTD digital sales in three days

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/software/ranking.html

This was posted at 9:33PM EST so about 7 hours ago.

I'm not sure how long it took MH4G to reach that spot on the chart, but MHX reaching it in only 3 days is something else. There are stock issues at retail but even then, wow.

Also, Mpl90 reported earlier that back when it was #18, since it outdid Gunman Clive, it was at least at 140k copies sold on the eShop about 12 hours earlier:

Well, the sold out is helping downloads: the game's already 18th in the 3DS eShop All-Time Chart. Thus, since Gunman Clive is outside it, it's already over 140,000 digital copies sold, at least.

chrono01

Monster sales for a monster franchise.

It continues to impress me how popular it is over in Japan but, having played the game(s) myself, it's completely warranted. They're incredible.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Great news! Hope an English release announcement will come soon. Here's another proof why its the correct decision to move the series away from Sony handheld.

No surprises at all. All my students kept on bragging about it to me, asking if I had it. Can't since I don't have a Japanese 3DS. :(

Before reports were coming out, I was pretty sure this game would have sold less than MH4 and MH4G - a spin-off, after all, and the fourth MH game on 3DS in 5 years... It seems the idea was good, and it's actually outpacing even the mainline series.

I'd still consider this a mainline game, even though it was probably advertised as a spin-off to not anger the fans, because of the changes made. But it looks like people love these, so take those granted to be in the next mainline game as well.

Dommel

This is hopefully Project Z at 8-4, they did an excellent job with MH4U and X needs to be coming to the west sooner than later please!

This is hopefully Project Z at 8-4, they did an excellent job with MH4U and X needs to be coming to the west sooner than later please!

Wasn't Project "X" Xenoblade Chronicles X or did I miss something? Haven't listened to the latest podcast yet.

Edit: Never mind I heard it.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Wow, is this a sign of digital gaining grounds in japan, or just that the game is phenomenally successful?

So glad Monster Hunter is still on the rise. Capcom really needs to step up the speed of the localization, i need this game!!! Waiting over a year for every Monster Hunter is not healthy!

I'd still consider this a mainline game, even though it was probably advertised as a spin-off to not anger the fans, because of the changes made. But it looks like people love these, so take those granted to be in the next mainline game as well.

It's not a mainline entry - it collects the best parts (enemies, scenarios) of the previous mainline entries with a MH4 skin and some new moves and gameplay styles. Also, of course it was advertised as such: it's called MHX and not MH4X or MH5.

It's not a mainline entry - it collects the best parts (enemies, scenarios) of the previous mainline entries with a MH4 skin and some new moves and gameplay styles. Also, of course it was advertised as such: it's called MHX and not MH4X or MH5.

Yeah I know. It's still not spin-offy like say the airou games. There's also new monsters.

DrWong

Good to see some franchises are still alive and kicking in Japan.

I'm pretty sure Verendus has mentioned that a PS4 version is in the works.

Edit: Why is Verendus banned?
Maybe because a PS4 version is not in the work? :p (I don't know).

Not sure about MH ending up on PS4 unless the want to give up on handheld, which seems to be killing the franchise in Japan (based on sales on earlier entries on home consoles, when Japan still bought them). NX looks more likely, because that seems to be two devices with a home console and a handheld.

I have no horse in this race, because I own a PS4 and probably buy NX. But that's my thought.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Do we know if/when they are gonna localize?

I gotta imagine Capcom would want to fast track this to the West for multiple reasons. Trend off the good vibes of the Japanese launch, the rising popularity of the franchise in the West, and of course to get it out before any NX fuckery overshadows.

Well digital sales were always really low in Japan guess it's the sign it's also starting to grow there.

Japanese gamers have shown plenty of times how they are willing to buy digital if there are no physical copies left - AC sold 500k units on the eShop, Splatoon should be close to 200k units. Otherwise, they are pretty happy with buying at retail.

There's no real impetus to buy digital over physical here because the digital price will always be 1-2000 yen higher than physical and you can sell games back for decent money.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

I gotta imagine Capcom would want to fast track this to the West for multiple reasons. Trend off the good vibes of the Japanese launch, the rising popularity of the franchise in the West, and of course to get it out before any NX fuckery overshadows.

Or, maybe, they want to localise this right in time with the "NX fuckery", Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate style :p

You have to be careful with hunting games in the west, Koei's hamfisted approoach killed the small potential the original Toukiden had on Vita.

MH4G is such a massive game, I think it'd be best for the series to stay silent till MHXG fall 2016 as a 3DS and NX multiplat.

On a similar note, I won't be surprised if that Verendus fellow turns out to be a fraud.

18-Volt

Maybe because a PS4 version is not in the work? :p (I don't know).

Producers said they were thinking about making a game on a platform with better hardware. But I think it's safe to assume franchise will remain exclusively on handhelds (3DS and possibly NX) after this crazy success.

Date for the West? Capcom? Nintendo?

Localization is done by NoE I believe, so it should take usual amount of time: 1 - 1,5 years.

Meier

Just curious, is this game considered a spin-off or is it an expansion of MH4 or how does it fall in line with this series?

You have to be careful with hunting games in the west, Koei's hamfisted approoach killed the small potential the original Toukiden had on Vita.

MH4G is such a massive game, I think it'd be best for the series to stay silent till MHXG fall 2016 as a 3DS and NX multiplat.

MHX is a meaty game as well. No need to wait for a G version, not even sure there will be one actually.

Just curious, is this game considered a spin-off or is it an expansion of MH4 or how does it fall in line with this series?

It's Monster Hunter All-stars playing around with some new ideas like different hunting styles and hunting arts. But overall it's still Monster Hunter.

sörine

Banned
It's essentially what became of the Portable series now that the core series moved to handhelds. Same creative leads too I believe.

Oregano

Yeah but it could totally do Destiny numbers on PS4!/s

I wonder what kind of legs this will have and whether MH Stories will affect them.

I don't see it as a spin-off.

You still get the core Monster Hunter experience, with some new experimental additions.

It's a gap game between the fourth and the fifth generation. It uses the MH4 engine but the content is a mix of all Monster Hunter games. It's not tied to the fourth generation.

MHX is a meaty game as well. No need to wait for a G version, not even sure there will be one actually.
Every Monster Hunter is meaty.
Except maybe MH3 but I still played it for over 1000 hours.

The thing is, Capcom needs a new Monster Hunter game every year to save their tragic financial reports, and I doubt they are anywhree close to releasing Monster Hunter 5. I'm betting on MHXG HD for NX, one year from now, worldwide launch. Please anticipate.

I kinda feel they might have 5 ready by 2017. They still have stories this year. Stories was planned as early as 2012 I think? Whatever it is they have to hurry up, because I'm playing with the thought to import right now. I have no japanese 3ds yet and my friend said we wait for the pal version. So I'm in a kinda weird situation right now.

Edit: Excuse me, stories is 2016. Sorry I'm kinda already moved on to the next year.

TreIII

I kinda feel they might have 5 ready by 2017. They still have stories this year. Stories was planned as early as 2012 I think? Whatever it is they have to hurry up, because I'm playing with the thought to import right now. I have no japanese 3ds yet and my friend said we wait for the pal version. So I'm in a kinda weird situation right now.

I'd agree, but think it will depend on how well Stories does.

Considering that game is a part of a multimedia blitzkrieg that includes an anime and likely toyline (among other things), there's a possibility that Stories may end up becoming just as big a deal as the main series, which may mean that the two series may get a chance to alternate every other year. And if so, maybe the Portable/X team will be the ones who get to head up MH5 by early 2017, after proving they can handle the ongoing main series after X's almost-assured success.

Top Bottom