• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 11-17 April

Jonnyram

1. PS2 Tengai Makyou III NAMIDA - 87,000 (NEW)
2. PS2 Gundam: One Year War - 46,000 (205,000)
3. PS2 Pro Baseball Spirits - 24,000 (80,000)
4. PS2 Tekken 5 - 24,000 (242,000)
5. PS2 Saint Seiya - 18,000 (108,000)
6. PS2 Winning Eleven 8 Liveware Evo - 14,000 (343,000)
7. NDS Touch! Kirby - 10,000 (138,000)
8. GBA Rockman EXE Team of Colonel - 6,000 (156,000)
9. PS2 Shin Sangoku Musou 4 - 6,000 (856,000)
10. PS2 Wild Arms 4th Detonator - 5,000 (174,000)

A pitiful week. Only two new games released, one of which didn't make the top 20.
Some games less than 10,000 in the top 10, some games less than 1,000 in the top 100!
PSP and SP sales up this week, putting the PSP slightly on top of the DS, but not by much.
It seems Meteos climbed up the charts a bit this week too, suggesting it could sell for a long time.

Full hardware data tomorrow.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I guess it's safe to assume that the PSP is back over (or very close to) 30K this week.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
1. PS2 Tengai Makyou III NAMIDA - 87,000 (NEW)

That's actually pretty good considering the normal version is 8000yen, the LE is 15000yen, and that the game got terrible reviews. Where was this fanbase when the TM2 remake came out?

Pray to your little loser gods that Nintendogs doesn't BOMBA or there will be such Drinky Crow trash talk as to make you weep

Amir0x

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
Pray to your little loser gods that Nintendogs doesn't BOMBA or there will be such Drinky Crow trash talk as to make you weep

there is no way it's gonna bomba. 110,000 sold.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Anyone know Yoshi's sales so far in Japan?

Kirby seems to be doing same or slightly better, if I recall.
(Yet it seems as if neither is doing as well as Ninty would have wanted)

I mean, these games are COMPLETLY unique to the DS. Basically, these are the games Ninty has been preaching, right? They can't be too thrilled with these sales... even though they aren't bad... but these are the types of games Ninty is banking their entire new handled "innovative movment" on, right? So if games like these don't sell well, and games like Mario 64 always blowing away sales....

Doesn't that kind of prove them wrong?
I mean, the traditonal games overpowering the 'innovative' ones in sales?
I guess that will totally dictate the types of games that come out in the next 2 years or so...

(Well, personally, I play Touch & Go alot more than I do M64, anyway... but its where the money is that counts in the end)

GhaleonEB

Drinky Crow said:

For the record, I'm so glad you were cut lose after the hacking incident. I actually come into these kinds of theads just to see if you're getting the N-philes up in arms, kind of like following a wolf around (from a distance) as it rampages through the sheep. Keeps this place even more intereting. :)

Rock_Man

First 3 week sales:
DS Yoshi ~110k
DS Kirby ~128k
DS Mario ~266k
DS Wario ~270k

Yoshi is now at around 170-180k.

Yes, I think sales of Yoshi and Kirby are a bit dissapointing. But not bad either..

I mean, the traditonal games overpowering the 'innovative' ones in sales?

Some say Nintendogs will change that...

Rock_Man said:
Some say Nintendogs will change that...

I see 'dogs selling 20K-40K its first week of sale. The type of person this game appeals to has no real reason to run out to the store and buy a game near release...If it's good it might have legs ... if it's bad it'll prolly dissapoint all those here expecting it to set DS sales afire...

Rock_Man

20-40 k for all 3 o them? Well, I don´t expect very good first week sales either, but 7 k would be worse than pokemon blue/red sold back in 96 :D

All the Blogs i've read have the game selling VERY well.
Can't wait to see the numbers though what with the Pink and Blue DS's out as well!!!

Fuzzy

PS2 - 30,572
PSP - 28,950
DS - 21,698
GBASP - 10,529
GC - 3,376
GBA - 397
Xbox - 315

LTD's
DS - 2,075,715
PSP - 1,197,124
DS Lead - 878,591

Next week, new DS colours.

Amir0x

Banned
Fuzzy said:
PS2 - 30,572
PSP - 28,950
DS - 21,698
GBASP - 10,529
GC - 3,376
GBA - 397
Xbox - 315

LTD's
DS - 2,075,715
PSP - 1,197,124
DS Lead - 878,591

Next week, new DS colours.

Jesus Christ, it WAS a horrible week.

Also, next week we get Nintendogs sales, right?

Spike

Damn, low sales all around.

Is there an upcoming game that is big enough to pull these numbers up? Or, will this be the norm for a while?

I know about Nintendogs and the new coloured DS'. I mean anything else.

cvxfreak

Not only was this a horrible week, it was a downright weird one too.

12. Pokemon Emerald
39. Minna no Golf 4 (PS2 The Best)
46. Hoshi no Kirby: Kagami no Daimeikyuu (!!!)
49. Pokemon Fire Red w/ Wireless Adapter (!!!)

M3wThr33 said:
People talk about the DS eating up the SP, but what about the PSP gobbling up PS2 sales?
I've wondered this too. Checking GameScience now for some 2004 numbers. Of course from year to year there are always fluctuations, but what other way to check is there.

PS2 2004
Mar 01: 43,200
Mar 08: 42,400
Mar 15: 45,700
Mar 22: 64,866
Mar 29: 65,600
Apr 05: 47,391
Apr 12: 37,100

PS2 2005
Feb 28: 44,228
Mar 07: 41,349
Mar 14: 40,270
Mar 21: 40,398
Mar 28: 44,117
Apr 04: 37,870
Apr 11: 30,572

Looks like there could be a negative relation, though not a big one. There are two weeks in there where 2004 is much bigger, but Dragon Quest V remake had just released.

Fuzzy

I'd say the drop in PS2 weekly sales year over year has a lot more to do with almost 3 million PS2's being sold in the space of that year instead of the PSP eating into sales.

jarrod

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Looks like there could be a negative relation, though not a big one. There are two weeks in there where 2004 is much bigger, but Dragon Quest V remake had just released.
You should also take into account that PStwo just released recently though. I'm sure GBA sales would be holding up better if the SP was released just last fall...

Monorojo

Banned
DS:
7) Kirby DS
11) Egg Monster Heroes
17) Mario 64 DS
18) Wario Ware DS
22) ElectroPlankton
30) Pac Pix
45) Yoshi Touch and Go

PSP:
15) Tales of Eternia
16) Hot Shots Golf
22) Bleach: Heat the Soul
24) Ape Escape: On the Loose
27) Wipeout Pure
31) Namco Musuem
34) Romance of the Three Kingdoms V
37) Shinten Makai: GOCIV Another Side
43) Dynasty Warriors

GBA:
8) Rockman EXE 5 Blue
12) Pokemon Emerald
25) Dynasty Warriors Advance
32) Mario Party Advance
36) Rockman EXE 5 Red
44) ???????????
46) Kirby & the Amazing Mirror

jarrod

Banned
So where's hardware? I get the feeling DS probably dipped below PSP this week in anticipation of new colors on the 21st... both should be around 25-30k though.

Mrbob

jarrod said:
So where's hardware? I get the feeling DS probably dipped below PSP this week in anticipation of new colors on the 21st... both should be around 25-30k though.

It is in the thread. :p

PSP is at 29K. DS at about 21,600.

Mrbob

Yes.

If only Nintendo had new colors they could release bi-weekly all year.

Oh wait you are talking about something else, right?

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
Yes.

If only Nintendo had new colors they could release bi-weekly all year.

Oh wait you are talking about something else, right?
The implication he made was this week's sales would be down in anticipation of the new colors. Happens to every machine the week before new models/colors are out.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
M3wThr33 said:
People talk about the DS eating up the SP, but what about the PSP gobbling up PS2 sales?

I don't see it.... at the lowest common denominator you've got one portable purchase vs. another with the portables... at this point I don't see how the PSP could turn a potential console home purchase in to a portable purchase...

DarienA said:
I don't see it.... at the lowest common denominator you've got one portable purchase vs. another with the portables... at this point I don't see how the PSP could turn a potential console home purchase in to a portable purchase...
Part of the appeal of the PSP has been getting more console-like games for the portable. It's easy to imagine someone who doesn't mind not using the big screen choosing the portable at the expense of the home console.

Top Bottom