• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Charts: Media Create 19 - 25 September

soundwave05

Member
Sep 30, 2004
10,681
0
0
DCharlie said:
..... err... what ?

anyways, it explains why the exercises improve your brain thinking and the maths problems and colour recognition puzzles aren't that simple.

the puzzles with the house with people coming in and out is just hell!
Yeah that's what I thought, there are specific games in Brain Training that are designed to "activate/work out" certain different regions of the brain.

It's not just a bunch of random math questions.
 

mutsu

Member
Apr 15, 2005
3,399
0
0
Sydney, Australia
DCharlie said:
the puzzles with the house with people coming in and out is just hell!
I am actually pretty good with this one :D

Different people are good in different areas. like I suck at calculations for some reason.

That's why this game was designed in the first place, to improve different areas of your brain. If you keep on doing the tests everyday, you will most surely improve gradually.
 

Deku

Banned
Jan 6, 2005
16,689
0
1,455
カナダ
mutsu said:
I think people in Nintendo would have. That's why they are so confident in the first place I would think.
Well, it cuts both ways. They've been confident before and came out like total fools living in their dreamland, mainly with how they approached the GameCube. But I think people underestimated Nintendo and especially Iwata. GameCube was a transitional console since Yamauchi started it and Iwata launched it. DS was really the 1st major hardware under Iwata and if its a sign of things to come, Nintendo might finally get to pad its cash reserved up to $10 billion in a few years time.
 

soundwave05

Member
Sep 30, 2004
10,681
0
0
mutsu said:
I am actually pretty good with this one :D

Different people are good in different areas. like I suck at calculations for some reason.

That's why this game was designed in the first place, to improve different areas of your brain. If you keep on doing the tests everyday, you will most surely improve gradually.
I think that's part of the appeal too, playing and then handing it over to your friend and seeing how they do and in what areas they're better/worse than you.

It's pretty ingenious actually.
 

mj1108

Member
Jun 8, 2004
14,373
0
0
mutsu said:
I think people in Nintendo would have. That's why they are so confident in the first place I would think.
When I meant "ANYONE here", I was referring to GAF, not Nintendo themselves. :)

HW Predictions:

Micro: 80k
DS: 60k
PSP: 40k
GBA: 7k
GCN: 2k
XBox: 120
 

Rock_Man

Member
Feb 17, 2005
879
0
1,250
Next week (again) is the final chance for PSP to beat DS with 5 new games including Guilty Gear XX Reload, Gallery Fake and Densha de Go! Pocket. I don´t think any of those will sell more than Brain Training in that week though...

New PSP titles this week did pretty bad according to Dengeki:
#6 Gundam Battle Tactics
#19 Princess Crown
#23 Formula One 2005 Portable
 

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Oct 11, 2004
16,868
1
0
Rock_Man said:
Next week (again) is the final chance for PSP to beat DS with 5 new games including Guilty Gear XX Reload, Gallery Fake and Densha de Go! Pocket. I don´t think any of those will sell more than Brain Training in that week though...

New PSP titles this week did pretty bad according to Dengeki:
#6 Gundam Battle Tactics
#19 Princess Crown
#23 Formula One 2005 Portable
Don't think those games will have any chance of upsetting the current hardware trend.
 

soundwave05

Member
Sep 30, 2004
10,681
0
0
DS vs. PSP battle for Japan is basically over. At least for this year.

The only question now is how high Brain Training will go. Could it reach 2 million?

Also will GB Micro sales continue to be this high or will they go back to SP levels?
 

mj1108

Member
Jun 8, 2004
14,373
0
0
soundwave05 said:
DS vs. PSP battle for Japan is basically over. At least for this year.

The only question now is how high Brain Training will go. Could it reach 2 million?

Also will GB Micro sales continue to be this high or will they go back to SP levels?
Stay tuned for "As the GAF Sales Thread Turns...."
 

PkunkFury

Member
Jun 17, 2004
4,092
542
1,605
USA
DCharlie said:
the puzzles with the house with people coming in and out is just hell!
ahhh, that is my favorite puzzle, especially when they come out of the chimney! :D

Brain training is a lot of fun for a budget title, I can see why it is selling so well. I'm not sure if it really makes you smarter, but as your daily graph climbs higher and higher, you certainly feel a bit smarter, especially when you get a space ship

I think the funniest part is that the dev cost for Brain Training must have been super low. It looks like something a grad student would be forced to make for an RA position, and the only graphic is the professor's low-poly head. Considering how much the game has sold, profit must be huge
 

ziran

Member
Mar 25, 2005
5,155
0
0
PkunkFury said:
I think the funniest part is that the dev cost for Brain Training must have been super low. It looks like something a grad student would be forced to make for an RA position, and the only graphic is the professor's low-poly head. Considering how much the game has sold, profit must be huge
yeah, it must be a very profitable game for nintendo. in iwata's tgs speech he said brain training was developed in 4 months!
 

mutsu

Member
Apr 15, 2005
3,399
0
0
Sydney, Australia
Sad to see Screw Breaker bomba...

I hope Gunstar Super Heroes don't get the same treatment...

STOP GETTING OLD GAMES LIKE SUPER MARIO BROS AND GET SOME NEW GAMES
though I am one proud owner of the Famicom mini Super Mario Bros myself
.
 

Rock_Man

Member
Feb 17, 2005
879
0
1,250
Both Brain Training and Nintendogs are doing better than Pokemon Red/Green did the first 17 weeks after launch.
In fact, it took Pokemon 25 weeks to reach 500k and 45 weeks to break 1 million according to Famitsu.
In these graphs week 1 = launch week.



 

Kangu

Banned
Mar 9, 2005
3,794
0
0
Considering how worried Nintendo is about innovation in the market they sure aren't helping things along by releasing a 20 year old game and having it trash everything else on the sales charts.

Also, has anyone played this new tamagotchi? Is it more advanced like nintendogs or is it the same old thing?
 

mutsu

Member
Apr 15, 2005
3,399
0
0
Sydney, Australia
If I read correctly, this Tamagotchi isn't about pet simulation, it's about running some shops.

Tamagotchi has grown in Japan to be more than just a simulation game... it has a world of its own, and this is just a game that is set in this world.
 

Taker666

Member
Apr 26, 2005
4,060
2
0
soundwave05 said:
DS vs. PSP battle for Japan is basically over. At least for this year.
I'm not so sure.

Considering the current love for non-games, I could see "Talkman" possibly doing big things for the PSP in Japan.
 

jamesinclair

Banned
May 13, 2005
26,056
0
0
Taker666 said:
I'm not so sure.

Considering the current love for non-games, I could see "Talkman" possibly doing big things for the PSP in Japan.
I disagree, Talkman is more like the DS dictionarys then the brain training games.
 

ziran

Member
Mar 25, 2005
5,155
0
0
ki/oon said:
Hardware sales :

DS = 68 000
PSP = 50 000
GBM = 46 000
very good psp sales.

i expected a big drop for gb micro, i didn't expect another 70k week for ds!
 

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Jun 8, 2004
7,000
1
1,415
As if the Xbox 360 wasn't going to have a hard enough time in Japan, it looks like it's going to be released in the midst of a portable orgy where people seem less interested overall in consoles.
 
Apr 17, 2005
6,476
0
1,490
human5892 said:
As if the Xbox 360 wasn't going to have a hard enough time in Japan, it looks like it's going to be released in the midst of a portable orgy where people seem less interested overall in consoles.
QFT, rly o.o
 

Michirou_53

Member
Jun 9, 2004
78
0
0
It seems like Xbox finally fallen from the triple figure line.
Obviously 10 people held their Xbox purchase because of
the Xbox 360 announcment.

I forgot to post the numbers. I'm not sure which week.
But it's supposedly a week sales. Apparently those are
rounded numbers.

PS2 25000
PSP 12000
Box 90
 

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
May 4, 2005
15,816
5,051
1,875
32
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
OMFG if Brain Training continued to sell on a rate of around 35k/week, it would reach 1 million within 12 weeks. But there will be christmas during the next 3 months and Brain Training will most realisticly go up quite a bit during that time. So I really think, Brain Training will surpass 1 million this year.
 

Tiktaalik

Member
Aug 6, 2004
12,871
0
1,430
DS sales like this coupled with the sort of crazy games that are selling well makes me believe that the Revolution has the potential to do really, really well in Japan.
 

heidern

Junior Member
Jun 7, 2004
2,288
0
1,375
Rock_Man said:
Both Brain Training and Nintendogs are doing better than Pokemon Red/Green did the first 17 weeks after launch.
In fact, it took Pokemon 25 weeks to reach 500k and 45 weeks to break 1 million according to Famitsu.

That's interesting. Also, it seems as if Nintendogs sales have actually been going up the past 6 weeks or so? Looking at the DS hardware sales I suppose that's not so surprising, but looks like the DS may already have 2 "Pokemons" on it's hands. I was saying how it's gonna be tough for the DS to keep going at 300K a month through Sept/Oct/Nov, but it's pretty damn close even before the Pokemon games have hit.

ki/oon said:
Hardware sales :

DS = 68 000
psp = 50 000
GBM = 46 000
I'd really like to know what the GBA numbers are as well. Crazy DS numbers as usual. The psp numbers aren't so hot. It's a drop of 29% from last week even with 4 new releases. That compares with Kirby+Colours second week seeing the DS drop 25% but no more new releases. The battle is definitely over this year now, well I suppose there's a minute chance of a psp recovery next week. I don't see Talkman doing great things, unlike Brain Training which are a budget 2800 Yen price Talkman is a premium 6000+ Yen price.
 

Culex

Member
Jun 7, 2004
6,211
1
0
37
No new software and DS STILL trounced the PSP, which had new releases and a new color.

Game Over.
 

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
May 4, 2005
15,816
5,051
1,875
32
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
I didn't mean DS, Culex said, PSP had a new colour important to these charts but I didn't hear anything about a new colour besides the white one which was released a week ego.
 

AniHawk

Member
Jun 7, 2004
74,679
3
1,595
I really should find some posts from back in February/March in these MC topics... but that's beneath me.

Oh wait, no it isn't.
 

Culex

Member
Jun 7, 2004
6,211
1
0
37
Yoshi said:
They had a new colour again?
No, but the new white PSP from last week + new software should have tipped the scale in Sony's favor.

It didn't.

This week and last week were supposed to be PSP dominated.
 

mj1108

Member
Jun 8, 2004
14,373
0
0
AniHawk said:
I really should find some posts from back in February/March in these MC topics... but that's beneath me.

Oh wait, no it isn't.
You mean find posts that was proclaiming Nintendo doomed forever in Japan and that the DS was going to get pounced on in Japan?

We can do that.

Culex said:
No, but the new white PSP from last week + new software should have tipped the scale in Sony's favor.

It didn't.

This week and last week were supposed to be PSP dominated.
These numbers are the 2nd week the white PSP was out. Last week's numbers were the first.
 

Rock_Man

Member
Feb 17, 2005
879
0
1,250
heidern said:
That's interesting. Also, it seems as if Nintendogs sales have actually been going up the past 6 weeks or so? Looking at the DS hardware sales I suppose that's not so surprising, but looks like the DS may already have 2 "Pokemons" on it's hands. I was saying how it's gonna be tough for the DS to keep going at 300K a month through Sept/Oct/Nov, but it's pretty damn close even before the Pokemon games have hit.
Nintendogs went down again in week 19, 20 and 21 not shown in the graph, but it´s still over 10k/week.

Also, about the Pokemon comparison I did, I have to mention one more thing. Pokemon Red/Green did significantly better in its second year.
Feb 27, 1996 - March 2, 1997: 1,322,394 (weekly average 25,431)
March 3, 1997 - March 1, 1998: 3,569,998 (weekly average 68,654)
 

AniHawk

Member
Jun 7, 2004
74,679
3
1,595
N-BOTS ... BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH!

I would like to bet that PSP will break 1.1 million units in Japan by March 15th. (March 15th is a Tuesday, so technically this is the week ending March 13.)

I was gonna bet 1 million units, but that's practically a gimme at this point. The extra .1 is to make things ... interesting.

Period of ban to be 2 weeks.

WHO WILL BE FIRST TO FACE MY CHALLENGE?!
Count me in on this one. At the rate things are going (as expected) it'll be pretty much a "1.1 down, 8.9 more to go!" declaration for me anyway. Of course if I'm wrong then it'll just be an earlier taste of what I'll be getting after 2005!

You heard us Nintendudes! 1.1 million PSPs in Japan by March 13th or we get banned for 2 weeks! Come on! Stack your GAF-ban coupons!
I'll take you up on this too only if it's a 2 periodd of 2 weeks

I just hope Naruto DS comes out before March to slow down PSP sales.
I think from here on out, PSP will regularily be the no.1 portable in Japan.

DS will be able to overtake it on certain weeks due to certain titles being released, but regularily it'll be PSP at no.1.

Game Boy Next better be something really good.
i wonder if ds will ever outsell psp again.
I'm betting the DS will outsell the PSP again next week. If it doesn't you can ban me for a month.
What the hell is goin on here- who has hacked my account?

This is not funny...

Mods, please!
Looks like a trend has been firmly established. Of course, at this rate it will take forever for the PSP to catch up...but it will happen.
DS's damage is all front-loaded. The PSP has outsold it by a considerable *proportion* for much longer than that. Basically, if the PSP continues to outsell Nintendo's combined handheld sales like this, then it's not gonna take that long to outsell the DS once sales pick up. These are the slow times. Isn't the end of March a big sales time in Japan? What happens when that 20k unit gap suddenly balloons to 60-100k units for weeks at a time? I wouldn't expect Nintendo to be satisfied with such a tenuous lead. I think they'd want to see sustained sales power, which the DS is not showing right now. Selling 20-30k units per week couldn't have been in their plans. PEACE.
yet a single week of data is uber impressive because the PSP is outselling all of Nintendos hardware?

Just to restate : as doomed as the apparently NDS is, the NDS has outsold the PSP, the old PS2 model, and the new slimline PS2 model since it's launch in Japan.

lol - self ownership is the best! I was basing this off 1.8 million NDS sales, but Media create state different numbers. Still, i'm just trying to point out that fapping over these 1 week data snap shots is somewhat meaningless.

it's like running a marathon and declaring yourself the winner because you ran the 10th - 14th Km faster than the current leader (who is still 8 km ahead), sure it shows a potential trend, but it guarantees nothing. Nintendos sales are already in the bag.
Eh. Not as fun as I thought.