• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Charts: Media Create 19 - 25 September

Jonnyram

1. NDS Tamagotchi no Petit Petit Omisettchi - Bandai - 55,000 (205,000)
2. PS2 Shin Sangoku Musou 4 Moshouden - Koei - 54,000 (257,000)
3. GBA Famicom Mini Super Mario Bros 20th Anniversary Reprint - Nintendo - 51,000 (238,000)
4. PS2 Rhapsodia - Konami - 43,000 (new)
5. NDS Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training - Nintendo - 39,000 (591,000)
6. PSP Gundam Battle Tactics - Bandai - 37,000 (new)
7. PSP Winning Eleven 9 Ubiquitous Edition - Konami - 29,000 (136,000)
8. GBA Super Robot Taisen J - Banpresto - 28,000 (124,000)
9. NDS Yawaraka Atamajuku - Nintendo - 25,000 (516,000)
10. PS2 Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3 - Koei - 21,000 (new)

Jeff-DSA

Man, just as one title begins to finally slide from the charts another takes the its place for the DS. Japan has the dual screen fever, and it looks like nobody can find a cure.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Holyshit@tamagotchi.

What do you know about this DS version? How full-featured of a pet sim is it? Bare-bones and just sort of an enhanced version of the LCD versions, or is it a real actual pet sim, with some meat?

mutsu

Tamagotchi, I underestimated you...

Tamagotchi is now the best selling 3rd party game on DS isn't it? Beating out Naruto...

Is it safe to say that Brain Training has better legs than any game in Japan since Pokemon?

There's almost no drop off from week to week.

Bebpo

Banned
4. PS2 Rhapsodia - Konami - 43,000 (new)

Not bad at all. Probably made at least double the cost of development. I guess Konami was smart in bringing the series back to the market.

I bet Suikoden I+II does at least 50k opening on PSP and Suikoden V will probably do 80k+ opening.

mutsu

Brain Training DS has, once again, surpassed last week's sales by 2,000 copies. Looks like Tamagotchi is pushing even more DS out the door to new gamers.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
mutsu said:
Tamagotchi, I underestimated you...

Tamagotchi is now the best selling 3rd party game on DS isn't it? Beating out Naruto...

Yup:
194,000 Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 3 (Tomy) (4/21/05) - rounded off through Aug 28/05
It's on pace to beat out Kirby for the 8th highest selling DS game in Japan with 237,000.
Crazy how it came out of nowhere.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
If Tamagotchi and Brain Traing have got this much legs what Happens when those Pokemon Come back....

Are Actual Games like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart going to be passed over for more of these Non-Games?

littlewig

Banned
soundwave05 said:
I can't even imagine how high DS sales will be during the holiday shopping season rush this year in Japan.

yea, considering Animal Crossing(which has been in the top 20 mosted wanted chart since being announced), Mario kart, and Pokemon will be released, I wonder if Nintendo will be able to meet demand.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the day Brain Training is not in the top ten is the day they release a new Brain Training

like Bepbo pointed out Rhapsodia sold pretty well interesting.

and Super Mario Bros. wow a 20 year old game still selling so well speaks volumes about how amazing the game is.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"7. PSP Winning Eleven 9 Ubiquitous Edition - Konami - 29,000 (136,000)"

that's quite a drop.

On amazing abundance of second handcopies might not have helped.

Spike

VOOK said:
If Tamagotchi and Brain Traing have got this much legs what Happens when those Pokemon Come back....

Are Actual Games like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart going to be passed over for more of these Non-Games?

Umm...

If Square doesn't have Final Fantasy III for the DS this holiday shopping season in Japan, talk about terrible planning on their part.

I wonder though if they're heavily remaking the game like with touchscreen control/battle menus and maybe even WiFi/online play or something.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
What Animal Crossing is Game! It has a Goal to it... Well Sorta... :S

Brain Training is actually more of a game than Animal Crossing is, I'd say.

I wonder how popular online DS play will be in Japan in regards to Mario Kart and Animal Crossing.

soundwave05 said:
If Square doesn't have Final Fantasy III for the DS this holiday shopping season in Japan, talk about terrible planning on their part.

I wonder though if they're heavily remaking the game like with touchscreen control/battle menus and maybe even WiFi/online play or something.

FF3 should have been released already. Hell, Super Mario RPG should have been released.

heidern

Oh shit, great week for the DS with Brain Training going up yet again. In fact it looks like this'll actually carry on selling through Christmas. 800K seems a lock, and 1M looks like a very real possibility. Tamagotchi also did great and looks like it'll be challenging Jump Super Stars in terms of total sales. On the other hand, looks like a bad week for the psp. WE had a big drop off(73% down compared to 63% down for Tamagotchi). Out of the 4 new releases, only Gundam made the charts and 37K is a pretty average opening week.

Hardware predictions:
NDS 58K
psp 46K
GBM 70K
GBA 9K

Oh, and DS holiday sales will be absolutely utterly insane. Mario Kart Online and Animal Crossing Online will both be huge. But there's also Dragon Quest Slime Mori Mori 2 in December, Dynasty Warriors Online, Powerpro Online, Mushiking, a couple of Pokemon branded games, Princess Peach and the next set of touch generations games and lord knows what else could come out of left field.

Culex

Banned
WOW, I guess this means that DS won again this week?

I seriously figured that the PSP hardware would sell more, since there's nothing new on the DS. I never would have imagined Tamagotchi would continue dominating the charts.

And to add insult to injury, Brain Training still > WE9 PSP

Sony am cry.

I count both Brain Training games as one title (as far as their totals go), just like Nintendogs and Pokemon.

So Brain Training is already well over 1 million. 1.5 million seems a lock, which would make it one of the biggest game series' (er, soon to be series) in Japan already.

I think only Pokemon, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest have sold more than 1.5 million in a single iteration this past generation in Japan (not sure about Winning Eleven or GT3).

Doogdogg

Brain Training will sell forever I think, as long as DS systems are sold, people will pick them up along with the DS systems. :lol

Oh just wait and see these brain games jumping to like 50-100k/week this holiday seasons when DS gets a huge boost. It'll undoubtfully propelled the titles to new heights.

mj1108

Error2k4 said:
the day Brain Training is not in the top ten is the day they release a new Brain Training

No. The new Brain Training title will simply join the existing Brain Training titles.

Soon, the charts will look like this

1. NDS Brain Training
2. NDS Brain Training
3. NDS Brain Training
4. NDS Brain Training
5. NDS Brain Training
6. NDS Brain Training
7. NDS Brain Training
8. NDS Brain Training
9. NDS Brain Training
10. NDS Brain Training

littlewig

Banned
mj1108 said:
No. The new Brain Training title will simply join the existing Brain Training titles.

Soon, the charts will look like this

1. NDS Brain Training
2. NDS Brain Training
3. NDS Brain Training
4. NDS Brain Training
5. NDS Brain Training
6. NDS Brain Training
7. NDS Brain Training
8. NDS Brain Training
9. NDS Brain Training
10. NDS Brain Training

Media Create will soon only track Brain Training!

5. NDS Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training - Nintendo - 39,000 (591,000)
6. PSP Gundam Battle Tactics - Bandai - 37,000 (new)

The people at Bandai must be pissed at this. But then of course, they look up the charts and get all happy again.

And seriously, how much will brain training start to sell when christmas and new year come around? Or how about the real next easter?

Maybe by then a sequal will be out. "Mega-ultimate brain training".

littlewig

Banned
Just wait until Nintendo releases a 2pack Brain Training set, or bundle the game with the DS. But of course with these sales that wait will be a long time.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
huzkee said:
Is Brain Training FUN? I can't understand how it's selling so much.

I heard that it's because it helps with Japanese school exams or something, and those are of huge importance over there.

cvxfreak

littlewig said:
Just wait until Nintendo releases a 2pack Brain Training set, or bundle the game with the DS. But of course with these sales that wait will be a long time.

That wouldn't be a bad idea for the dreaded day sales begin to decline.

BorkBork said:
I heard that it's because it helps with Japanese school exams or something, and those are of huge importance over there.

I think yeah, a lot of people can play Brain Training without the guilt of "I just wasted all that time playing a stupid video game", so its kind of a clever way of branding on Nintendo's part.

I've really wanted Brain Training even before it came out in Japan, because I'm curious about the whole thing that it relaxes you by making your right brain work and then your left brain work and what not.

I thought it would sell maybe a decent 300-400k, but I never expected this.

mutsu

huzkee said:
Is Brain Training FUN? I can't understand how it's selling so much.

It IS fun. Seriously. I have been a gamer for over 15 years, and I truly find that I can enjoy those two Brain Training games. They are awesome.

I even got my wife into it, and multiplayer is even better (for Yawaraka Atama Juku at least).

littlewig

Banned
Does Brain Training actually improve your brain, or is it just a new gimmick/fad that is sweeping Japan?

I don't see how doing a bunch of small math problems and color recognition tests can vastly improve your brain.

Culex

Banned
littlewig said:
Does Brain Training actually improve your brain, or is it just a new gimmick/fad that is sweeping Japan?

I don't see how doing a bunch of small math problems and color recognition tests can vastly improve your brain.

It's about as much a fad in Japan as Pokemon.

Figure that comparison out from there :)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"I don't see how doing a bunch of small math problems and color recognition tests can vastly improve your brain."

..... err... what ?

anyways, it explains why the exercises improve your brain thinking and the maths problems and colour recognition puzzles aren't that simple.

the puzzles with the house with people coming in and out is just hell!

Top Bottom