• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 2 - 8 May

Firest0rm

Amir0x said:
You do realize that PSP has a better tie ratio than DS in Japan, right? These recent good software sales will help DS out a lot I reckon, but uh... your logic fails :p

Yea but with this trend that ratio will go down, you do realize that?

Amir0x

Banned
Firest0rm said:
Yea but with this trend that ratio will go down, you do realize that?

Hey, that sure is true but way to completely miss the point.

He said "PSP software does not sell, bad idea to add media capabilities!"

I said, uh, PSP software actually has a better tie ratio to PSP than DS software does... what does that say?

I'm sure the tie ratio is quickly approaching even ground with numbers like this, but the point is clear and completely undeniable.

Hey Amirox, people don't play GBA games on their DS systems do they?

So all this talk about PSP's slightly better tie ratiio is somewhat pointless. GBA games still sell and DS owners are buying them. Food for thought.

Amir0x

Banned
TotalBastard said:

So all this talk about PSP's slightly better tie ratiio is somewhat pointless. GBA games still sell and DS owners are buying them. Food for thought.

What the flying fuck, you're trying to add GBA titles to the NDS tie ratio?

LMFAO

TotalBastard said:

Ami has less than consistent memory. GAF Alzheimer's is the diagnosis. (I can find the link for the dx, if you would like). Sometimes lucid. Sometimes...Well ya gotta forgive him. ;)

Amir0x

Banned
Crankenstein said:
Ami has less than consistent memory. GAF Alzheimer's is the diagnosis. (I can find the link for the dx, if you would like). Sometimes lucid. Sometimes...Well ya gotta forgive him. ;)

Crankenstein, please tell me you're more intelligent than to try to include GBA games in the DS tie ratio.

I'm not trying to include GBA games in the DS tie ratio.

What I'm actually saying is that nerdy discussions on software tie ratios are somewhat irrelevant merely because people buy more than just DS games to play on their DS systems.

Makes sense doesn't it?

Amir0x

Banned
No, it's not a grey area. DS games are DS games, GBA games are GBA games. When discussing tie ratios, we do not say "WELL FOR THE FIRST YEAR PS2 HAD PSX GAMES, WHAT A GREAT INCREASE IN TIE RATIO!"

We say "PS2 games had a very low tie ratio at first, but it vastly improved over the years."

Similarly, when discussing NDS we say "The tie ratio is improving, although PSP has the edge here."

That's all. No excuses. No gray areas.

Total Bastard said:
What I'm actually saying is that nerdy discussions on software tie ratios are somewhat irrelevant merely because people buy more than just DS games to play on their DS systems.

Makes sense doesn't it?

Uh oh, here comes the bloodshed. I'm still waiting for those numbers on PSP returns, by the way. Seems to me you failed to produce any evidence of that, hm?

Anyway, leaving that in the past - anyway, no it is not irrelevant. ThongyDonk made a statement about PSP software, and I made a qualifying statement that shows why he is wrong. It's pretty simple. NDS has a smaller tie ratio than PSP does. So do we say that GBA games are taking away from the NDS software? Well, you certainly could make a case - but that doesn't change the tie ratio discussion at all or how much software is being sold for the respective systems.

I think their point was that GBA games will be cannabalising DS game sales and vice versa. It's impossible to know who bought 'what', 'for which system', 'over what other choice' though.... and that's a problem Nintendo brought on themselves by deciding to try this three pillar thing.

Your point is valid, but ties are proportional. Nintendo are doing really well. Like I tried to convey earlier though - even ~33k is good. As the userbase increases it will become naturally easier for PSP titles to tap the top 20 more and more. PSP is here to stay.

Amir0x

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
Your point is valid, but ties are proportional. Nintendo are doing really well. Like I tried to convey earlier though - even ~33k is good. As the userbase increases it will become naturally easier for PSP titles to tap the top 20 more and more. PSP is here to stay.

This is seperate. Of course Nintendo is doing well - very well. Nobody is denying that. I'm simply debunking ThongyDonk's statement, because it's false. That's all. PSP has like a 1.6 or 1.7 tieratio in Japan, and DS has like a 1.2 or 1.3 tie ratio if I remember. I don't know how it changed with the last three weeks of software sales, though.

Amir0x said:
Crankenstein, please tell me you're more intelligent than to try to include GBA games in the DS tie ratio.

I'm not suggesting that at all. But the other extreme of denying that the GBA port on the DS competes with potential DS software sales is silly. The PSP has other media hampering its software ratio. The DS has a huge library of GBA games in direct competition with DS software. That is all.

jarrod

Banned
Interesting to not that the difference in launch month tie-ratio in the US between Xbox/PS2 and PSP/GBA were identical. PSP looks firmly planted within the "handheld ghetto". :)

Amir0x

Banned
jarrod said:
Interesting to not that the difference in launch month tie-ratio in the US between Xbox/PS2 and PSP/GBA were identical. PSP looks firmly planted within the "handheld ghetto". :)

And none of them touch the Xbox US Launch tie ratio! :lol

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I'm sure if the number of games on the DS were proportional to the number of games on the PSP factoring it's million unit lead the tie ratio would be much closer if not tipped in favor of DS. As it stands now the PSP has more software with a little more than half the userbase of the DS and being within the first year of it's launch when choices are limited ofcourse the PSP will have a higher tie-in (the console with the most selection usually does). But the DS iianm has had a higher tie-in for a few weeks with more software coming out for it than the PSP has lately? That is quite a feat given the fact that the DS was sometimes doubling and tripling PSP sales in those weeks.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Amir0x said:
And none of them touch the Xbox US Launch tie ratio! :lol

Yup, forced launch bundles are the way to go. MS and retailers are gonna screw us with at least one crap game in the 360 bundles this christmas.

Amir0x

Banned
Shaheed79 said:
Yup, forced launch bundles are the way to go. MS and retailers are gonna screw us with at least one crap game in the 360 bundles this christmas.

As long as it's not DOA4.

And I'm not saying that because of the graphics, it's because I hate DOA!

heidern

ki/oon said:
Hardware sales :

DS : 67 000 (+3000)
PSP : 33000 (-5000)

PSP am cry.

Woah. Fantastic week for the DS. Normally DS sales head inexorably downwards until Nintendo release something cool, but for once the sales have held up. Sure Golden Week had an effect but this is very good for the system. Also a bit surprising was just how strongly Naruto and Nintendogs held up, with Kirby also gaining strength. In fact in a week or two Naruto will become the biggest next gen 3rd party portable game all year, overtaking Tales of Eternia.

On the other hand the psp has fallen back down again. Looks like last week may have been a flash in the pan, bought on by being the first half of Golden Week. Sales of a little over 30K are solid, but definitely nowhere near market leading success status. It's even worse when you factor in the 15-20K the GBA also probably pulled in this week. The danger though, is that with such a shit release list so far this year, and not much coming in the near future the psp sales could fall away at some point.

Oh, and Dengeki had the following info regarding time to selling 2 Million units:
PS2 3 months
GBA 4 months
DS 5 months
GC 16 months
N64 17 months

The psp is headed for that mark in around 10 months from launch, which would make it the strongest second system in ages, perhaps ever.

Amir0x

Banned
Crankenstein said:
Dang it, Ami! Can't we agree on anything? I like DOA. :(

hopefully we can agree on the fact that Pikmin 2 owns, and that Virtua Fighter 4:Evo is a several hundred times superior to DOA. :)

Amir0x said:
hopefully we can agree on the fact that Pikmin 2 owns, and that Virtua Fighter 4:Evo is a several hundred times superior to DOA. :)

Pikmin 2 is very good. VF4:Evo is truly excellent, but the arcadey, button mashing of DOA is quite fun. We kinda agree on a couple things.

Deku

Banned
The DS - PSP tie ratio isn't leaps and bounds apart. Trying to extract grand universal market truths from it is a bit of a red herring.

That said, the observation that PSP games aren't selling is still fairly valid regardless of tie ratio. Developers look at nominal numbers as well as ancillary numbers like tie ratio. The bottom line is, PSP is more expensive to develop for and the games out on it aren't selling quite as many units as a DS game might. That will have implications in terms of economic considerations of some developers.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ThongyDonk said:
didn't someone say the other day the DS now IS beating the PSP tie ratio?
Unless they had access to the complete sales data after April 11th for EVERY DS and PSP game (MC doesn't give that out for free), they're talking out of their ass.

Hollywood

Banned
WTF is a tie ratio?
How many games bought per system sold if I'm right? Well considering the DS has sold more systems than the PSP by a good margin, wtf does tie ratio matter? I mean would you rather have a company sell 4 systems and 16 games or 2 systems and 10 games? But, but ... one tie ratio is 4 and one is 5 ... the 5 MUST mean its better! Also you wanna play with tie ratio, try the tie ratio of first party games sold for each system, then tell me who is leading. Nintendo is kicking their ass in every category, and you can't spin it any other way.

Amir0x

Banned
Hollywood said:
WTF is a tie ratio?
How many games bought per system sold if I'm right? Well considering the DS has sold more systems than the PSP by a good margin, wtf does tie ratio matter? I mean would you rather have a company sell 4 systems and 16 games or 2 systems and 10 games? But, but ... one tie ratio is 4 and one is 5 ... the 5 MUST mean its better! Also you wanna play with tie ratio, try the tie ratio of first party games sold for each system, then tell me who is leading. Nintendo is kicking their ass in every category, and you can't spin it any other way.

You are so fucking slow that it is actually starting to have a marginal effect on the Earth's rotation causing us to lose that extra leap day we have every 4 years.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ThongyDonk said:
I'm betting that he just added the totals from the top 10 (which are the only free totals MC lists on their site each week) to the totals from http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=46193 and then calculated the tie-ratio that way. Like I said, unless he had access to the sales data for ALL the games (which I betting that he doesn't) he's talking out of his ass.

EDIT: Or what Amir0x said. :)

Amir0x

Banned
ThongyDonk said:
like i said i think it was

And i did post with ???

No, it's cool. Not adding in this weeks sales (too lazy to calculate them), it should be 1.88 PSP and 1.53 for DS. Not massive cavernous differences, as you can see - NDS only needs a few solid weeks of stellar sales like this to catch up in terms of tie ratio.

This is also especially interesting when discussion how third party developers will approach both systems...

DS 1st party
1. Super Mario 64 DS - Nintendo - 711,424
2. Sawaru Made in Wario - Nintendo - 710,371
3. Pokemon Dash - Pokemon - 323,741
4. Daigassou! Band Brothers - Nintendo - 166,071
5. Catch! Touch! Yoshi! - Nintendo - 163,963
6. Touch! Kirby - Nintendo - 127,690
7. Another Code Futatsu no Kioku - Nintendo - 104,114
8. Chokkan Hitofude - Nintendo - 102,330
9. Electroplankton - Nintendo - 5,545
10. Yakuman DS - Nintendo - 4,791

2,420,040 total
242,004 average
Tie ratio: 1.18

DS 3rd party
1. Kimi no tame nara Shineru - Sega - 97,629
2. Puyo Puyo Fever - Sega - 82,898
3. Kenshuui Tendou Dokuta - Spike - 76,724
4. Pac Pix - Namco - 70,514
5. Bokujou Monogatari Corobockle Station - Marvellous - 56,987
6. Tennis no Oujisama 2005 Crystal Drive - Konami - 49,385
7. Egg Monster Hero - Square Enix - 49,131
8. Mister Driller Drill Spirits - Namco - 47,976
9. Zoo Keeper - Success - 45,412
10. Meteos - Bandai - 39,232
11. Mahjong Taikai - Koei - 34,545
12. Spiderman 2 - Taito - 26,633
13. The Urbs: Sims in the City - EA - 24,685
14. Kamen Genei Satsujin Jiken - Genki - 10,254
15. Cool 104 Joker & Setline - Aruze - 9,613
16. Tiger Woods PGA Tour - EA - 3,381
17. Space Invaders DS - Taito - 3,249

728,248 total
42,838 average
Tie ratio: 0.35

PSP 1st party
1. Minna no Golf Portable - SCE - 337,972
2. Piposaru Academia - SCE - 108,599
3. Dokodemo Issho - SCE - 86,255
4. Popolocrois Monogatari - SCE - 70,364
5. Bleach - SCE - 52,140
6. Sarugetchu P! - SCE - 42,674
7. Wipeout Pure - SCE - 5,772

703,776 total
100,539 average
Tie ratio: 0.60

PSP 3rd party
1. Ridge Racers - Namco - 274,682
2. Shin Sangoku Musou - Koei - 268,514
3. Tales of Eternia - Namco - 157,043
4. Metal Gear Acid - Konami - 99,871
5. Kotoba no Puzzle Mojipittan - Namco - 98,109
6. Gagharv Trilogy: Shiroki Majou - Bandai - 89,202
7. Mahjong Fight Club - Konami - 77,137
8. Namco Museum - Namco - 61,895
9. Armored Core Formula Front - From Software - 58,288
10. Puyo Puyo Fever - Sega - 49,345
11. Lumines - Bandai - 37,271
12. Vampire Chronicles - Capcom - 37,184
13. Rengoku: The Tower of Purgatory - Hudson - 36,424
14. Need for Speed Underground Rivals - EA - 25,689
15. Soukyuu no Fafner - Bandai - 25,622
16. Mahjong Taikai - Koei - 15,264
17. Mobile Train Simulator + Densha de Go! - Ongakukan - 12,861
18. Puzzle Bobble Pocket - Taito - 11,943
19. Sangokushi V - Koei - 9,910
20. AI Shogi - Marvellous - 9,684
21. Shinten Makai: GOCIV Another Side - Idea Factory - 9,534
22. AI Mahjong - Marvellous - 8,649
23. AI Igo - Marvellous - 8,479
24. Kollon - Cyberfront - 8,184
25. Harukanaru Toki no Naka de: Iroetebako - Koei - 1,559

1,492,343 total
59,694 average
Tie ratio: 1.28

Hollywood

Banned
Amir0x said:
You are so fucking slow that it is actually starting to have a marginal effect on the Earth's rotation causing us to lose that extra leap day we have every 4 years.

Oh darn, you hurt my feelings I can't get so in depth involved in your fucking videogame terminology. I am own3d.

heidern

Amir0x said:

:lol :lol :lol

ThongyDonk said:

Yeah, that was the tie ratio for that week. It was posted earlier in the thread that the DS total software sales were 140K and the PSP 58K(14 games). I'm guessing it was based of a top 100 or something, so should be only a little low overall. The thing is, it's been like that for a while. You can see from how the DS has been dominating the charts in terms of software sales. Whatever the total psp vs DS tie ratio is, right now in terms of a weekly or even monthly tie ratio the DS is doing better, and in terms of absolute software sales on a weekly basis doing much much better.

Personally, I blame the low initial DS tie ratio on backwards compatibility and a weak line up for the 2 months post launch(although launch was great). On the other hand, the psp benefited from an absolutely fantastic launch week software line up, and has been suffering ever since from weak line up. You know its bad when the strongest game on a ps2/Dreamcast(depending on your bias) level system is the psone port of Tales of Eternia.

heidern said:
Personally, I blame the low initial DS tie ratio on backwards compatibility...

Everyone here understands this except for Amirox.

Keep up the good fight Amirox, this futile argument is a great use of your time :lol

Amir0x

Banned
TotalBastard said:
Everyone here understands this except for Amirox.

Keep up the good fight Amirox, this futile argument is a great use of your time :lol

no, see, you're failing to read. ThongyDonk said it was a bad idea to include media capabilities in the PSP and it shows because of bad software sales. I simply corrected him - that is not the case, since PSP has a better tie ratio than even NDS.

In case you have trouble reading into this comment, it essentially means if it was a bad idea to include media capabilities in PSP than what's the excuse for NDS? You must then conclude it was a bad idea to include backward compatibility in the NDS.

You'll notice this choice quote from my previous post...

Amir0x said:
ThongyDonk made a statement about PSP software, and I made a qualifying statement that shows why he is wrong. It's pretty simple. NDS has a smaller tie ratio than PSP does. So do we say that GBA games are taking away from the NDS software? Well, you certainly could make a case - but that doesn't change the tie ratio discussion at all or how much software is being sold for the respective systems.

LowTecky

Nintendogs and Naruto hardly went down from the previous week at all, thats really impressive with or without Golden Week. Im curious to see how long at least one Nintendogs game will stay in the top ten. Wario and Mario stayed there for a rediculously long time. Word of mouth seems to help the DS a lot.

Edit: btw, I dont think Nintendo cares if the DS tie ratio is low because they are buying GBA games instead. They win either way..

Deku

Banned
no, see, you're failing to read. ThongyDonk said it was a bad idea to include media capabilities in the PSP and it shows because of bad software sales. I simply corrected him - that is not the case, since PSP has a better tie ratio than even NDS. In case you have trouble reading into this comment, it essentially means if it was a bad idea to include media capabilities in PSP than what's the excuse for NDS? You must then conclude it was a bad idea to include backward compatibility in the NDS.

I think your numbers are outdated and even if you were correct, it was a point difference in the fractions.

As for the PSP's media capabilities, it remains to be seen how well it will pan out, but overpriced UMDs and poor selection certainly isn't helping it much.

As one poster said, a "CS degree and $100 in addons is required to get full use out of the PSP's media capabilities" and frankly, the casual gamers probably won't disagree with that statement, even if they are as rabid a PSP supporter as you are, minus the endless hours you spend reading and posting in this forum.

heidern

Amir0x said:
no, see, you're failing to read. ThongyDonk said it was a bad idea to include media capabilities in the PSP and it shows because of bad software sales. I simply corrected him - that is not the case, since PSP has a better tie ratio than even NDS.

I think the jury is still out on this one. Sure the DS tie-ratio is low, but it is recovering every single week. Looking at the trend in software sales the backwards compatibility looks like it's effect may in the end be negligible. The thing with the psp is that the tie ratio had a better start, but it is not improving. In fact some weeks it seems it may be getting worse. It could be that in the long term the media capabilities will really hurt game sales. But really, I think the level of game sales correlates directly to the quality of the release schedule rather than anything to do with hardware features(except that backwards compatibility is always going to hurt a launch somewhat because people better have the luxury of waiting for better games).

Amir0x

Banned
Deku said:
I think your numbers are outdated and even if you were correct, it was a point difference in the fractions.

As for the PSP's media capabilities, it remains to be seen how well it will pan out, but overpriced UMDs and poor selection certainly isn't helping it much.

The numbers are outdated, by a week or two. And yes, the difference is only mere franctions. This, once more, changes absolutely nothing about the point - if PSP's media capabilities were holding it back than you should conclude that GBA backward compatibility is holding the NDS back even more. Alternatively, you can say they're both going to have a negligible affect on software sales in the long run (this is what I believe). That's not to say things won't be very different in a few weeks or even at the moment.

You can even read it another way - both features (media capabilities and GBA BC) has no real meaningful affect on software sales. Limited releases or undesirable titles do.

Deku said:
As one poster said, a "CS degree and $100 in addons is required to get full use out of the PSP's media capabilities" and frankly, the casual gamers probably won't disagree with that statement, even if they are as rabid a PSP supporter as you are, minus the endless hours you spend reading and posting in this forum.

I'm a DS supporter, and I rarely play my PSP at all anymore (well, I picked up Hot Shots so that's not entirely accurate as of Tuesday). You'd know that if you actually did follow my endless posts. I'm just not a blind, dumb and deaf supporter of any given company and that lends me only to tell the truth about the issues at hand.

heidern said:
I think the jury is still out on this one. Sure the DS tie-ratio is low, but it is recovering every single week. Looking at the trend in software sales the backwards compatibility looks like it's effect may in the end be negligible. The thing with the psp is that the tie ratio had a better start, but it is not improving. In fact some weeks it seems it may be getting worse. It could be that in the long term the media capabilities will really hurt game sales. But really, I think the level of game sales correlates directly to the quality of the release schedule rather than anything to do with hardware features(except that backwards compatibility is always going to hurt a launch somewhat because people better have the luxury of waiting for better games).

PSP had a better start but is slowing down, DS had a worse start but is speeding up. What does this tell you? Again, you're selectively choosing what you like to believe. YES, DS is recovering every week - no one is suggesting otherwise. Listen, it's pretty simple.

Thongy suggested media capabilities is hurting PSP, and the implication was that you can see from DS that not having these features helps it.
I submitted that this is not true, since PSP has an even better tie ratio than NDS. Therefore, either BC is hurting NDS in other, somewhat similar ways or they're both going to have a negligible effect on software sales.

MY conclusion was the ladder, and it's the only valid conclusion frankly.

Top Bottom