• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 21 - 27 Mar

Amir0x

Banned
It's not a government holiday, but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people who celebrate Easter in some form in Japan.

In Japan, the festival is observed by the Christian faithful. According to a 2000 survey, there were less than two million Japanese Christians of all denominations in Japan, out of a total population of 127 million. Outside the 6,800 or so churches in the country, Easter has little effect on the lives of the vast majority of the population. It passes almost without notice

So some people DO celebrate it in Japan :p

Amir0x said:
It's not a government holiday, but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people who celebrate Easter in some form in Japan.

It passes almost without notice. It passes almost without notice. It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.

Amir0x

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
It passes almost without notice. It passes almost without notice. It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.It passes almost without notice.

You...missed the point.

john tv

Amir0x said:
So some people DO celebrate it in Japan :p
Yes, I am one of them. But it is not a holiday in Japan, much less a day when people purchase gifts for each other. Do you understand the difference? :)

And thus this thread falls into the shitter along with many many other threads of late, wonderful. The stubbornness is completely unnecessary, no one gives a shit.

Amir0x

Banned
johntv said:
Yes, I am one of them. But it is not a holiday in Japan, much less a day when people purchase gifts for each other. Do you understand the difference?

We don't really purchase gifts for each other in the US for Easter either. At least that's not a custom I'm familiar with, unless you consider buying chocolate bunnies "gifts."

DarthWufei said:
And thus this thread falls into the shitter along with many many other threads of late, wonderful. The stubbornness is completely unnecessary, no one gives a shit.

After all your whining and bitching about arguing about the "same topic", here comes a different one and you still cry! I think you should stick to checking for game news and playing weaksauce MMORPGs like FFXI :D

Amir0x said:
You...missed the point.
Why would a holiday which a very small religious minority celebrate as a private religious affair, with absolutely NO presence in the public or economic spheres, in any way, shape, or form affect DS sales?

Easter is not unpopular in the Japanese mind, it is non-extant.

Alcibiades

I've gotten videogames and stuff like that for Easter, but nothing big...

Christmas & Santa were for the big stuff (systems, TV's, etc...)

Easter I might get a game, CD, jacket, or something worth $10-$30...

Amir0x said:
After all your whining and bitching about arguing about the "same topic", here comes a different one and you still cry! I think you should stick to checking for game news and playing weaksauce MMORPGs like FFXI :D
Nope. this isn't different at all in my eyes, the subject is definitely, but not the concept. And it's plaguing the forum. Reread my post in MAF's thread as I go into more detail about it.

Amir0x

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
Why would a holiday which a very small religious minority celebrate as a private religious affair, with absolutely NO presence in the public or economic spheres, in any way, shape, or form affect DS sales?

Easter is not unpopular in the Japanese mind, it is non-extant.

Maybe you missed the point where I wasn't saying Easter affected sales at all? I assumed Easter was Sunday, the only reason I mentioned Easter was because I thought that was the day that the DS received a boost - Johnnyram said it was a Sunday, and I thought that was Easter in Japan. It meant nothing other than an acknowledgement that the sales boost came on such a day, even though we know now it didn't.

The only thing that was meant by it was...

a.) Colors were what drove sales
b.) (I thought) Easter was the day this occurred (Note: Not that Easter had any affected on it)

Perhaps I should have wrote it more clearly, but everyone is so content to argue this silliness now :p

DarthWufei said:
Nope. this isn't different at all in my eyes, the subject is definitely, but not the concept. And it's plaguing the forum. Reread my post in MAF's thread as I go into more detail about it.

The concept...of this argument...is that Easter happens in Japan? Anyone, if you didn't notice I was ribbing you as a result of reading your comment in MAFs thread. You bitch too much. Debating is the real meat.

Amir0x said:
The concept...of this argument...is that Easter happens in Japan? Anyone, if you didn't notice I was ribbing you as a result of reading your comment in MAFs thread. You bitch too much. Debating is the real meat.
I did notice, which is why I said to reread it.

Amir0x

Banned
DarthWufei said:
I did notice, which is why I said to reread it.

So them stop whinin', hombre. Just sit back and relax, nobody who is sane brings any ill will after a debate. We're on a forum, we debate shit. We're gamers, that's what we do. It's good shit. I'll sell you some for 10 bucks.

Amir0x said:
So them stop whinin', hombre. Just sit back and relax, nobody who is sane brings any ill will after a debate. We're on a forum, we debate shit. We're gamers, that's what we do. It's good shit. I'll sell you some for 10 bucks.
What are you even talking about? I generally stay out of these things, the MAF thread is really the only time I've taken a serious thought to it. And again, reread it, I'm all for debating, but you're missing the point of what i don't like it. We can get into it in PM though if you'd like, I dunno, not tha timportant. But I feel I'm somewhat contributing to it at the moment. :p

Amir0x

Banned
DarthWufei said:
What are you even talking about? I generally stay out of these things, the MAF thread is really the only time I've taken a serious thought to it. And again, reread it, I'm all for debating, but you're missing the point of what i don't like it. We can get into it in PM though if you'd like, I dunno, not tha timportant. But I feel I'm somewhat contributing to it at the moment. :p

Well alright then, but I still say that this is a different kind of "argument" and that you should totally be celebrating our choice of different subject. If you like, we can debate about the concept behind our debate, and whether it was different enough to be worth bitchin' about :D

But seriouslah, I'm just joshin'. But as you know, the debates will rage on - forEVER (just wait 'til E3!)

Izzy said:
Great DS hardware numbers. :)
Well, color me surprised on the numbers really. I was pretty skeptical about how extra colors would really do for the system. Didn't expect a jump over over 50k, hell even 40k. But like I mentioned before, I haven't really seen the results of additional colors on hardware sales before.

But where's the algebra for this thread? At least it's not boring by any means.

Hero

Great DS sales.

It'll be interesting to see if it can keep this up for a while.

If not, it looks like Nintendogs + the other 2 colors will give it another boost later in April.

Izzy

Banned
DarthWufei said:
But where's the algebra for this thread?

Logically, it's hard to do algebra without solid numbers for anything other than DS - but I'd be more than happy do it if you'd provide the sales info. :)

cvxfreak

john tv said:
readme.JPG

:lol:lol:lol

Izzy said:
Logically, it's hard to do algebra without solid numbers for anything other than DS - but I'd be more than happy do it if you'd provide the sales info. :)
:lol You've already got a small set of hardware numbers and enough osftware numbers, go for it. :p

:lol I'm only kidding.

Mrbob

It's amazing what adding different colors to a product line can do to boost sales. Now Sony needs to counter with a rainbow color selection of PSPs! :D

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
if you think this is big wait till you see the final passover numbers.

now THOSE will be big.

Kai said:
Hmm... I just don't get the japanese market... NDS software sales seem to always be selling consistantly better and with more frequency than PSP software, yet the PSP hardware sales always trump the NDS sales every week...

Guess the japanese are really using the PSP's non-gaming functions (i.e. music and movies)...
No no no no no no no. Last we've seen, tie ratios are quite similar between DS and PSP; PSP even had the slight edge. The fact remains, though, that while PSP has outdone DS in hardware sales for nearly all of this year, DS still has about 80% more units total out there, and that makes quite a big difference when showing only the top 10 or whatever of software sales. If those three DS games sold at the same ratio to PSP owners, they'd have sold something like 43K, 18K, and 10K, dropping Kirby from 3rd to 4th, Egg Monster from 6th to 7th, and Harvest Moon right off the list.

Odnetnin

Banned
lol @ amirox's easter argument. I can't read it cause of the ignore user but :lol :lol

wrong but argumentative. As usual. zzz

And oh. WOW @ DS numbers. Did PSP get a boost? If anything it shows there's a demand, maybe gamers are waiting on the coloured DSes.

cja

Consumers wanting the new colours probably delayed their purchase of a DS for a week or two waiting for the new machines. Nintendo gave plenty of advance warning.

I'm surprised these particular colurs had such an impact on sales. The second set are far more appealing and coinciding with Nintendogs, could possibly puch the DS to 100k that week.

Kai said:
Hmm... I just don't get the japanese market... NDS software sales seem to always be selling consistantly better and with more frequency than PSP software, yet the PSP hardware sales always trump the NDS sales every week...

Guess the japanese are really using the PSP's non-gaming functions (i.e. music and movies)...

nintendo's gain

sony's debt

Bebpo

Banned
Kai said:

From personal experience I'd hazard a guess that because PSP games are long with a lot of replay value, PSP owners don't really buy many games. I mean the average businessman playing MGA on the train to work each day isn't going to beat the game for a month or two so why buy another PSP game. Whereas if they bought Pac-pix and finished it in 2-3 days, they'd wanna get something new to keep them occupied.

Just a thought...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
DS - 55,825
PSP - 43,043
PS2 - 40,398
GBASP - 14,904
GC - 4,568
GBA - 653
Xbox - 406

LTD's
DS - 1,980,966
PSP - 1,105,415
DS lead - 875,551

Mrbob

Yes the Gamecube has pretty much fallen flat in Japan.

I could never understand boost in hardware sales due to new colors. It happens every time multicolored consoles/portables are released.

Top Bottom