• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 21 - 27 Mar

Jonnyram

Software
1. PS2 World Soccer Winning Eleven 8 Liveware Evolution - Konami - 238,000 (NEW)
2. PS2 Wild Arms The 4th Detonator - SCE - 131,000 (NEW)
3. NDS Touch! Kirby - Nintendo - 75,000 (NEW)
4. PS2 Shining Force Neo - Sega - 63,000 (NEW)
5. PSP Bleach: Heat the Soul - SCE - 37,000 (NEW)
6. NDS Egg Monster Hero - Square Enix - 31,000 (NEW)
7. PS2 Dynasty Warriors 5 - Koei - 26,000 (825,000)
8. PS2 Phantom Kingdom - Nippon Ichi - 17,000 (90,000)
9. NDS Harvest Moon Corobockle Station - Marvellous - 17,000 (45,000)
10. NGC Donkey Konga 3 Tabehoudai - Nintendo - 16,000 (53,000)

Hardware
DS 55,825
PSP 43,043
PS2 40,398
GBASP 14,904
GC 4,568
GBA 653
Xbox 406

cvxfreak

Interesting, Kirby's kind of low. But it'll definitely be a long seller. Winning Eleven 8 also looks a bit underwhelming, too.

1 PS2 Winning Eleven 7 International Konami 306,900 306,900
1 GBA Hoshi no Kirby: Kagami no Daimeikyuu Nintendo 188,800 188,800

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, finally we get a week with crazy numbers.

Kirby DS opened great and it totally deserves it, should hit 200-300k lifetime. The Wild Arms 4 sales are pretty sad, I mean 130k is a bigger rpg opening than almost anything non-SE that I can remember, what a lame game to get all those sales.

SFN sales are ok, but the game actually seems like a good budget was put into it so to Sega SFN is probably another bomb sadly (it's a fun game!) :(

Egg Monster Hereo is a bomb, but that's predictable since nobody actually likes the Hanjuku series and the DS game doesn't seem like much of a game.

I read on 2ch that even though Bleach PSP only hit 37k, it was at like 99% sell-through rate so it might have some legs due to the anime's popularity.

And of course Spikeout XBOX & Phantasy Star 2 remake don't even make the charts ^^;

Having put time into both WA4 and SFN, WA4 is a piece of shit, and SFN is surprisingly good. Way better than the recent PS2/GBA offerings. Hope sales pick up...

Jonnyram

I'm probably gonna pick up SFN myself, but am waiting for the imminent price drop. I'm getting pissed off with buying PS2 games at launch for 7000 yen then seeing them at half price a few weeks later because they bombed. It doesn't happen so much with the small publishers, but with big titles from Namco, Capcom, Konami and Sega it's happening more and more recently.

Jonnyram said:
I'm probably gonna pick up SFN myself, but am waiting for the imminent price drop. I'm getting pissed off with buying PS2 games at launch for 7000 yen then seeing them at half price a few weeks later because they bombed..

Yeah, I had to write it up for 1UP, so I had to buy it now ... but at around 3000 yen or so it'll be a steal! It's a fun party-based Diablo-style dungeon hack. 7000 yen is just a stupid amount for new releases...

WA4 had be depressed for about a day after I played it. I thought that maybe the fire of gaming had gone out in my soul and I would never like anything JRPG related ever again. Fortunately, the actual problem was just that WA4 sucked.

Bebpo

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
WA4 had be depressed for about a day after I played it. I thought that maybe the fire of gaming had gone out in my soul and I would never like anything JRPG related ever again. Fortunately, the actual problem was just that WA4 sucked.

play Shadow Hearts

heidern

Pretty strong week overall. Harvest Moon sales held up very well this week. Egg Monster Hero didn't have too bad a start either. Now that 3rd parties have started to release software for the DS again, it will be interesting to see how well sales hold up over a longer period of time. I can see both of these hitting 100K. Kirby had a pretty good, if unexplosive start. Doesn't bode so well for the hardware numbers, but them, handheld software never does.

I must be playing different games than you guys because I feel the opposite about Shining Force Neo and Wild Arms. Ten hours into Shining Force and I hate it so much that I don't want to play it any more. Five hours into Wild Arms and I can't stop playing.

Jonnyram

Dengeki is saying Kirby sold 97,000. Quite a difference.
They also have WA4 down for 146k (more than the 3rd).

I've been reading rumours on 2ch that PSP didn't have such a good week for some reason, and dengeki's top 50 seems to say the same thing:
http://www.dengekionline.com/soft/ranking/ranking.htm
Lots of the long sellers have disappeared off the chart this week.

This is pretty much the last week of the 2004 fiscal year, and the highest selling games were:
DQ8 (3.34mil)
Pokemon Emerald (1.46m)
WE8 (1.06m)
GT4 (1m)
Fist of the North Star Pachislot (965k)

So only 4 million sellers last year. Software was down 0.6% on 2003 and hardware was up 6.7%.

Kai

Hmm... I just don't get the japanese market... NDS software sales seem to always be selling consistantly better and with more frequency than PSP software, yet the PSP hardware sales always trump the NDS sales every week...

Guess the japanese are really using the PSP's non-gaming functions (i.e. music and movies)...

neo2046

Jonnyram said:
Dengeki is saying Kirby sold 97,000. Quite a difference.
They also have WA4 down for 146k (more than the 3rd).
Jonny, you forget to mention

Xbox's Spikeout BS is the 50th in the chat :(
and DS has sold 56,000 units this week :D

Jonnyram

neo2046 said:
Jonny, you forget to mention

Xbox's Spikeout BS is the 50th in the chat :(
and DS has sold 56,000 units this week :D
Yeah, I didn't want to cause too much trouble ;) Specifically, DS sold 2.6x as much as last week is what Dengeki says.

Amir0x

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Yeah, I didn't want to cause too much trouble ;) Specifically, DS sold 2.6x as much as last week is what Dengeki says.

Haha, the thread for the hardware numbers is going to be comedy gold.

Jonnyram

The number I have so far is DS 55k vs PSP 43k.
Not sure if it's Media Create, Enterbrain or Media Works.
Apparently Sunday was a great day for DS sales.

2.6 * 22000 = 57K(+)

Sweetness!!

wonder if it keeps up next week, or just a one off?
Or if this is down to Kirby more than the new colours??

Socreges

Banned
1. PS2 World Soccer Winning Eleven 8 Liveware Evolution - Konami - 238,000
1. PS2 Winning Eleven 7 International Konami 306,900 306,900

Hmmm are they finally growing tired of the series??

Jonnyram

Socreges said:
1. PS2 World Soccer Winning Eleven 8 Liveware Evolution - Konami - 238,000
1. PS2 Winning Eleven 7 International Konami 306,900 306,900

Hmmm are they finally growing tired of the series??
I wouldn't say so. The main sales point of WE8 LW is its online content. It shouldn't be expected to sell the same as a regular update.

Alcibiades

Why would Sunday be a big day for DS, Easter sales?

I know Kirby was out a few days before, as well as the new colors...

What happened Sunday, or was it a normal weekend surge + new colors/Kirby?

Socreges

Banned
Jonnyram said:
I wouldn't say so. The main sales point of WE8 LW is its online content. It shouldn't be expected to sell the same as a regular update.
No, WE8 LW is essentially WE8 International. I think you're confusing WE7I with WE7.

Amir0x

Banned
Alcibiades said:
Why would Sunday be a big day for DS, Easter sales?

I know Kirby was out a few days before, as well as the new colors...

What happened Sunday, or was it a normal weekend surge + new colors/Kirby?

I don't think Kirby had anything to do with it, actually, mostly colors + Easter. People love that shit.

the Kirby numbers are the biggest in a long while though?

Reckon they should rename Nintendogs------PokeDogs.

Might sell more!!

Jonnyram

I won't offer any reason about why Sunday was better than other days, but I will tell you that Jesus and chocolate eggs have absolutely no influence on Japanese citizens. I didn't see a single chocolate egg this year, not even from my family back home.

WTF would Easter have to do with Japanese game sales? Do you explain U.S. sales spikes wiith Respect for the Aged Day?

Amir0x said:
Giving a shit about Easter really is not the point. It's just an extra "day" with some added significance.
NOT IN JAPAN! You people.

Amir0x

Banned
ki/oon said:
Except Japanese people don't give a shit about Easter.

Giving a shit about Easter really is not the point. It's just an extra "day" with some added significance. Whether or not it's important to sales is irrelevant, because the colors were enough to boost that. Showing that Japanese people love colors. Colors - well - any day for sales is good.

Amir0x said:
Giving a shit about Easter really is not the point. It's just an extra "day" with some added significance. Whether or not it's important to sales is irrelevant, because the colors were enough to boost that. Showing that Japanese people love colors. Colors - well - any day for sales is good.

??? WTF ???

you said it was about easter!!

Amir0x

Banned
ThongyDonk said:
??? WTF ???

you said it was about easter!!

No, I said it was "colors + easter." Colors were the driving point, Easter was the day (according to johnnyram Sunday was the day DS sales had that boost).

Amir0x said:
No, I said it was "colors + easter." Colors were the driving point, Easter was the day (according to johnnyram Sunday was the day DS sales had that boost).

Except in Japan, it wasn't Easter. It was March 27th.

Amir0x

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
Except in Japan, it wasn't Easter. It was March 27th.

Now see, this I didn't know! But that still has nothing to do with what I said really, colors was still the point :|

Alcibiades

I think it's probably all 3 to some small extent... on top of the fact that weekends are usually better for Nintendo

Kirby + new colors + Easter + weekend day

all added up little by little sales force... Kirby and new colors had already been released, but maybe people waited for weekend, and the bigger traffic might have helped having those new items...

Amir0x

Banned
Alcibiades said:
all added up little by little sales force... Kirby and new colors had already been released, but maybe people waited for weekend, and the bigger traffic might have helped having those new items...

The reason I don't think Kirby had much to do with anything is because to my knowledge at least one other DS game opened with similarly good sales (post launch) and units pushed did not change much at all. I think that game might have been Yoshi, I might be wrong.

john tv

readme.JPG

Top Bottom