• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 21 - 27 Mar

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Oli sells his DS and buys a PSP

DS outsells PSP in japan.

Coincidence? I THINK NOT

Speevy

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Oli sells his DS and buys a PSP

DS outsells PSP in japan.

Coincidence? I THINK NOT

Shigeru Miyamoto got his wife to pose nude for the Japanese people. They had no choice but to buy DS's.

cvxfreak

One of the Japanese magazines (Corocoro or Jump) will probably reveal Pokemon Diamond and Pearl information within the next two weeks.

We have uh oh.

GaimeGuy

CVXFREAK said:
One of the Japanese magazines (Corocoro or Jump) will probably reveal Pokemon Diamond and Pearl information within the next two weeks.

We have uh oh.
*sets up sandbags*

Speevy

Banned
Mrbob said:
Yes the Gamecube has pretty much fallen flat in Japan.

I could never understand boost in hardware sales due to new colors. It happens every time multicolored consoles/portables are released.

Did the Cube get a boost from that Tales-themed system?

duckroll

My my! What a SURPRISE indeed! Yeah PSP got owned this week. No question about it. Ducky May Cry... coming for the PSP this Summer. :(

Fuzzy said:
DS - 55,825
PSP - 43,043
PS2 - 40,398
GBASP - 14,904
GC - 4,568
GBA - 653
Xbox - 406

LTD's
DS - 1,980,966
PSP - 1,105,415
DS lead - 875,551

It's sorta interesting. DS sells big numbers due to new colors and possibly Kirby (altho I don't think Kirby is the killer app GAFers are making it out to be) and yet GBASP still sells pretty well all things considered. GBASP has too many things going for it (price, size, content) for Nintendo to ignore. If Nintendo is smart they'll work hard to improve the DS library as a PSP offset but they'll also keep big games coming out for GBA line -- the margins are just too great there. I hope they've got new big franchise games (Pokemon/Mario/Zelda/etc) in the pipes for GBA and plan to keep them coming for quite some time. IMHO what DS and PSP sales show is that Nintendo needs to not rush to kill the cash cow that is the GBA line.

For now DS and PSP are small fish splashing in GBA/GBASP's ocean.

flsh

Banned
I just don't understand Nintendo... Everytime they release another color for their handhelds the sales get a big boost, why not gamecube?

Jonnyram

ddkawaii said:
DS sells big numbers due to new colors and possibly Kirby (altho I don't think Kirby is the killer app GAFers are making it out to be)
There's actually been a LOT of software released recently. It seems to be having a cumulative effect though. You can see from the Dengeki top 50 that 10 DS games made the charts this week, versus the PSPs 6. This is the result of a solid release list versus a thin selection of new titles, in my opinion. The unfortunate thing for Sony is that this trend looks set to continue for some time.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
There's actually been a LOT of software released recently. It seems to be having a cumulative effect though. You can see from the Dengeki top 50 that 10 DS games made the charts this week, versus the PSPs 6. This is the result of a solid release list versus a thin selection of new titles, in my opinion. The unfortunate thing for Sony is that this trend looks set to continue for some time.

Actually the outlook seems bad for both systems. After the March releases, there isn't even a single DS/PSP big release until late June. We are now at the drought point :\ But I guess that's good for the wallet :p

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
Actually the outlook seems bad for both systems. After the March releases, there isn't even a single DS/PSP big release until late June. We are now at the drought point :\ But I guess that's good for the wallet :p
Don't make me pull an olimario on you :p April is packed and May has a couple of decent releases too. Although I guess a lot of the stuff might not be considered games, per se.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Don't make me pull an olimario on you :p April is packed and May has a couple of decent releases too. Although I guess a lot of the stuff might not be considered games, per se.

Yea you may be right. But I mean I keep a calendar marked with all my pre-orders and the next DS game I have down is Advanced Wars in June, then Jump Superstars. The next PSP game...doesn't exist at this point. And you know my posting, I buy almost every major game released each week :p

duckroll

Jonnyram said:

What....... you're going to send morphix naked pictures of Bebpo in exchange for money to buy... Nintendogs? Please tell me that's not true! T_T

heidern

-Electroplankton (Nintendo)

-Minna no Mahjong: Kenkou Mahjong (MTO)

-Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 3 (TOMY)
-Nintendogs: Chihuahua and Friends (Nintendo)
-Nintendogs: Dachshund and Friends (Nintendo)
-Nintendogs: Shiba and Friends (Nintendo)

-Devilish: Ball Bounder (Starfish)
-GuruGuru Nagetto (Success)

Not too bad a release list really. Gonna be interesting to see how the sales continue and whether it will go back to psp outselling the DS every week. At least in the short term Nintendo will be alright with some solid software and more colours on the way, but I wonder how the psp will do. It seems to be pretty consistent at just over 40K a week, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of software to keep it up there and could very well start to drop off too. But it hasn't so far so there's no guarantee either way there.

When is Jump Superstars coming out? That is gonna be a killer app for the DS in Japan.

SSB gameplay + Popular anime characters = Success

I would be shocked if it didn't sell more then 300k.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
cheap carny tricks succeed where software has failed! now nintendo just needs to release new ds colors every week. the chromatic spectrum is pretty big!

Speevy

Banned
drohne said:
cheap carny tricks succeed where software has failed! now nintendo just needs to release new ds colors every week. the chromatic spectrum is pretty big!

Looking at the software charts for...the past 4 months, I think Japanese DS owners are very motivated to buy games. They're just not buying DS's for said games. But who knows when that could change. Nintendogs is a new IP. It should be interesting to see whether Japan gets puppy fever.

dkeane

masud said:
Where the fuck are the funny pictures? Come on Nintendo fans!
my.php

You asked for it!

Odnetnin

Banned
ElectroPlankton hits on the 7th of April? That's amazingly soon. Can't wait for hands on of the title when it gets released. Looks like a killer title

Speevy

Banned
Carry on my colored screens
For there'll be sales when you are seen
Lay your weary pen to rest
Now don't you touch no more

Once I rose above the noise and confusion
Just to get a glimpse beyond the illusion
Sales were falling ever lower, but they fell too low

Though it had two screens it still had a dim light
Though its pen could touch it still was a poor sight
All the fanboys were laughing'
But then I heard someone say

Carry on my colored screens
For there'll be sales when you are seen
Lay your weary pen to rest
Now don't you touch no more

Bebpo

Banned
heidern said:
-Electroplankton (Nintendo)

-Minna no Mahjong: Kenkou Mahjong (MTO)

-Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 3 (TOMY)
-Nintendogs: Chihuahua and Friends (Nintendo)
-Nintendogs: Dachshund and Friends (Nintendo)
-Nintendogs: Shiba and Friends (Nintendo)

-Devilish: Ball Bounder (Starfish)
-GuruGuru Nagetto (Success)

;_;

...well I guess PSP is just as shitty (sans Wipeout on the 7th). You'd think Sony would release more US PSP games (Twisted Metal, THUG2,etc..) to fill their empty schedule.

Man, I hope E3 holds a ton of interesting xmas DS/PSP games or despite the interesting starts for the systems I see myself losing all interest in handheld gaming once again.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Rocket9 said:

That soon? I dunno the current anime arc is winding down pretty quickly it might be done by the summer actually. A few months isn't long enough for a filler arc~

Rocket9

With one episode every week it comes down to 31-34 episodes. I've stopped following the anime a long time ago so im not sure where they are exactly but one thing's sure, the writers are master at stretching a season with meaningless episodes.

The Johto arc had like 25-30 fillers between every gym battle. The league tournament (always the best episodes) should be around 15 episodes itself so , unless he already has his 8th badge or hasnt reached the 6th gym, 30 something episodes seems reasonnable to me

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The Experiment said:
Who the fuck buys video game machines for Easter gifts? I remember when I was a kid, we had candy...and maybe a quarter here and there.
My best friend growing up was given a NES by his neighbour (not even family) for Easter when we were kids. Each year he would get a NES game from them until he got a SNES and then they started giving him SNES games. I would tell him how unfair it was that his neighbour gave him those gifts when I got squat from my family (let alone my neighbour).

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Rocket9 said:
With one episode every week it comes down to 31-34 episodes. I've stopped following the anime a long time ago so im not sure where they are exactly but one thing's sure, the writers are master at stretching a season with meaningless episodes.

The Johto arc had like 25-30 fillers between every gym battle. The league tournament (always the best episodes) should be around 15 episodes itself so , unless he already has his 8th badge or hasnt reached the 6th gym, 30 something episodes seems reasonnable to me

AG isn't Johto. There's been relatively few true filler episodes. May's tournament starts next week and lasts 3 episods. The tournament for Ash starts in 6 weeks on May 13th. Previous tourneys lasted 6, 2 and 7 episodes so I doubt the latest one'll be stretched that long.

cvxfreak

Rocket9 said:

In the Hoenn arc (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald-based with some Fire Red and Leaf Green influence), we're going to hit the Hoenn League tournament in about 5 to 1o episodes from now. Ash won his eight badges, and May won her five Contest ribbons. The eighth Pokemon season started only recently though, so there should be a little time until the Diamond/Pearl season. So I estimate this summer or in November since that's when both the Johto and Hoenn arcs began.

GaimeGuy

speaking of pokemon... did that one pokemon website (I can't remember the name, but it was something like celebi.net) get taken down?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
GaimeGuy said:
holy shit they're at the 400 episode mark? l

Don't say that around Dogas(s)u.....

"POCKET MONSTERS ADVANCED GENERATION IS A BRAND NEW SHOW ITS NOT RELEATED TO POCKET MONSTERS YOU CAN TELL CAUSE THEY CHANGED THE TITLE AND RESTARTED THE EPISODE NUMBERING SYSTEM"

And Serebii.net sucks. Or maybe I should be honored they ripped me off?

cvxfreak

Dogasu's a cool, if very opinionated guy.

Say, how did Serebii rip you off? He mentioned stealing information before, but I don't know how.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
CVXFREAK said:
Dogasu's a cool, if very opinionated guy.

Say, how did Serebii rip you off? He mentioned stealing information before, but I don't know how.

I dunno about info~more like style. Ya notice how he's changing the site banner for holidays nowadays? Never did that before. Last summer I began a-changing UPNetwork's color scheme & banners seasonally. Serebii didn't start changing his banner until around Christmas when UPN was on its 3rd alteration. ~_~ Not to mention his idea to color-code POKéDEX entries (though to be fair I don't think he got around to implenting that).

Top Bottom