• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 21 - 27 Mar

cvxfreak

Lindsay said:
I dunno about info~more like style. Ya notice how he's changing the site banner for holidays nowadays? Never did that before. Last summer I began a-changing UPNetwork's color scheme & banners seasonally. Serebii didn't start changing his banner until around Christmas when UPN was on its 3rd alteration. ~_~ Not to mention his idea to color-code POKéDEX entries (though to be fair I don't think he got around to implenting that).

Interesting to say the least.

BTW, can you give me the URL to your site? Thanks. :)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
CVXFREAK said:
Interesting to say the least.

BTW, can you give me the URL to your site? Thanks. :)

Its not my site I just worked for it (and did all of the work for it lol) but eh why bother linking it? The FTP "exploded" in early February and I nor the sites owner have been able to access it to update since.

And uh to get back on topic from this POKé-geekfest uh.......I refuse to believe D/P are DS bound. They mentioned the games once... six months ago and never again since. With rumors of another GB in the works~ya never know. If the games are delayed to another GB then the anime ending soon makes sense cause there'd be plenty of time to do an Orre / Battle Frontier arc to stretch things out until the games is ready.

cvxfreak

Lindsay said:
And uh to get back on topic from this POKé-geekfest uh.......I refuse to believe D/P are DS bound. They mentioned the games once... six months ago and never again since. With rumors of another GB in the works~ya never know. If the games are delayed to another GB then the anime ending soon makes sense cause there'd be plenty of time to do an Orre / Battle Frontier arc to stretch things out until the games is ready.

I forgot about the Battle Frontier. :O That sounds like a half season right there...

I think Diamond and Pearl are indeed DS bound. They haven't revealed much in months, but they probably announced them to generate interest in the DS... and it doesn't seem to be in full effect yet.

Meier

Of course Diamond and Pearl are DS bound -- it's ludicrous to think otherwise. Even if there was a new GB in the works, they'd simply have another Pokemon in development for that on top of the DS offerings. The series is too important for their handhelds to not have an iteration on them (if not multiple versions).

xavean1

Banned
japan_weekly.png

jarrod

Banned
Just to exapnd on the handheld release lists...

Nintendo DS

-Electroplankton (Nintendo)

-Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 3 (TOMY)
-Nintendogs: Chihuahua and Friends (Nintendo)
-Nintendogs: Dachshund and Friends (Nintendo)
-Nintendogs: Shiba and Friends (Nintendo)

-Devilish: Ball Bounder (Starfish)
-GuruGuru Nagetto (Success)
-Minna no Mahjong DS: Kenkou Mahjong (MTO)

04.2005 tba
-Ganbare Goemon! DS (Konami)

-Bomberman DS (Hudson)
-Nou o Kitaeru Otona no DS Training (Nintendo)

05.2005 tba
-SD Gundam G Genretaion DS (Bandai)
-Londonian Gothics: Mekyuu no Lolita (Mega Cyber)

Spring 2005 tba
-Caduceus: Surgical Operation (Atlus)
-Deep Labyrinth (Interactive Brains)
-Need for Speed Underground 2 DS (Electronic Arts)
-Toy Heads World (Interactive Brains)

-Famicom Wars DS: Battle for Omega Land (Nintendo)

06.2005 tba
-DS Rakubiki Jiten (Nintendo)
-Gyakuten Saiban: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Capcom)
-Yawaraka Atama-juku (Nintendo)

-Jump Super Stars (Nintendo)

Summer 2005 tba
-Jissen Pachislot Hisshouhou DS! Hokuto no Ken (Sega)
-Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest 2 (Square Enix)

PlayStation Portable

-Sangokushi V (Koei)

-Harukanaru Jikuu no Uchi de: Sae Techou (Koei)
-Wipeout Pure (SCEI)

-Derby Time (SCEI)
-Shutokou Battle: Zone of Control (Genki)

04.2005 tba
-Doraslot: Shuyaku wa Senkei (Dorart)

-Higanshima (Now Production)

-Space Invader Pocket (Taito)

-Intelligent License (Now Production)

Spring 2005
-Hoshigari Enbuusa (Takuyo)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour R (Electronic Arts)

-Eiyuu Densetsu Gagharv Trilogy: Akai Shizuku (Bandai)

Summer 2005 tba
-Coded Arms (Konami)
-Jissen Pachislot Hisshouhou! Hokuto no Ken (Sega)
-Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (Konami)

Game Boy Advance

-Kessakusen! Ganbare Goemon 1+2 (Konami)
-Meitantei Conan: Atasuki no Monument (Banpresto)
-Rockman Zero 4 (Capcom)

-Ochainu no Yume Bouken (MTO)
-One Piece Dragon Dream (Bandai)
-Relaxuma na Mainichi (Imagineer)
-The Tower SP (Nintendo)
-Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters: Beginner Pack 2005 (Konami)

04.2005 tba
-Insect Monster Battle Mastering (Culture Brain)
-Insect Monster Battle Stadium (Culture Brain)
-Insect Monster 2 (Culture Brain)

-Bura Bura Donkey Kong (Nintendo)
-Fantastic Children (Bandai)

Spring 2005 tba
-Elemental Gerad (TOMY)
-Shin Bokura no Taiyou (Konami)

-Mahou Sensei Negima! (Marvelous)

-Nonono Puzzle Chai-Rian (Nintendo)

-Kouchuu Ouja Mushiking: Greatest Champion (Sega)

-Momotarou Densetsu G: Gold Deck wo Tsukure! (Hudson)

07.2005 tba
-Bleach (Sega)
-Rockman Anniversary Collection (Capcom)

Summer 2005 tba
-Konjiki no Gashbell!! The Card Battle (Banpresto)
-Mamiume Mogacho TakoBall (Idea Factory)

anibananadsgray.gif
anibananadsgray.gif

Sorry, I've been waiting months for a chance to properly use that outside of my avatar. :)

What seems strange to me is that it appears like DS's upsurge dragged all the other Nintendo systems along with it. Here are the week-to-week percentage changes.

GameCube: +36.1%
Game Boy Advance: +36.9%
Game Boy Advance SP: +35.3%
Nintendo DS: +148.7%
PlayStation 2: +0.3%
PSP: -1.4%
Xbox: +17.7%

And now on to my regular numbers.

DS weekly share of PSP/DS is 56.5%, its highest since the week of January 3, and actually a slightly better share than it had PSP's launch week. The Nintendo portable share if you toss in GBA/SP is 62.4%, again the highest since the week of January 3.

Though DS sold better this week, its overall share still went down, to 64.2% of the PSP/DS market. It was only a decrease of 0.2%, though, which is the second lowest drop yet. The smallest was the week of December 20, where it actually gained 0.1%.

If every week was like this week, PSP would be expected to meet the DS in total sales in -68.5 weeks. So expect them to meet December 3rd of 2003 at -1,842,977 units apiece.

If DS stopped selling and PSP continued selling at this pace, it would catch up on August 16, 2005.

DS being at 1,980,966, expect it to pass 2 million next week unless its learned to give people herpes, in which case expect it to pass 2.3 million.

mediacreate20050321.gif

Culex

Banned
It's not a trend, that's for sure. Even Media-Create thinks the sudden boost will only last this one time.

In the hardware market, the launch of new colors for DS led to the first gains in quite some time. Nevertheless, there were no outstanding trends among platforms aside from DS, and it appears that the increase in sales was nothing more than temporary growth due to the launch of new colors.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
JoshuaJSlone said:
Though DS sold better this week, its overall share still went down, to 64.2% of the PSP/DS market.
This has to be wrong. How can a system outsell another system but still lose market share if those two systems are the only two in the measured market?

NLB2

Banned
borghe said:
This has to be wrong. How can a system outsell another system but still lose market share if those two systems are the only two in the measured market?
Shit dude, simple:
Week 1:
Product A: 2 sales
Product B: 0 sales
Product A has 100% market share
Week 2:
Product B: 1 sale
Product A has 80% market share

AniHawk

JackFrost2012 said:
N-BOTS ... BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH!

I would like to bet that PSP will break 1.1 million units in Japan by March 15th. (March 15th is a Tuesday, so technically this is the week ending March 13.)

I was gonna bet 1 million units, but that's practically a gimme at this point. The extra .1 is to make things ... interesting.

Period of ban to be 2 weeks.

WHO WILL BE FIRST TO FACE MY CHALLENGE?!

duckroll said:
Count me in on this one. At the rate things are going (as expected) it'll be pretty much a "1.1 down, 8.9 more to go!" declaration for me anyway. Of course if I'm wrong then it'll just be an earlier taste of what I'll be getting after 2005! :lol

You heard us Nintendudes! 1.1 million PSPs in Japan by March 13th or we get banned for 2 weeks! Come on! Stack your GAF-ban coupons! :D

GSG Flash said:
I'll take you up on this too only if it's a 2 periodd of 2 weeks

I just hope Naruto DS comes out before March to slow down PSP sales.

Ruh-roh.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
NLB2 said:
Shit dude, simple:
Week 1:
Product B: 0 sales
Product A has 100% market share
Week 2:
Product B: 1 sale
Product A has 80% market share
well, your example was meaningless, but I figured it out anyway and feel stupid. nm.

essentially market share is meaningless at this point. all that matters is week to week sales because that percentage will eventually pan out market share.

i.e. if DS only sells 56% of market share week in and week out eventually it will only have 56% of total market share.

heidern

Culex said:
It's not a trend, that's for sure. Even Media-Create thinks the sudden boost will only last this one time.

That's not totally true. There is a chance that sales fill fall back straight away, but I'd expect a more gradual decline. Probably heading to between 30-40K in a couple of weeks time. Of course, Nintendo will be releasing games and colours in the meantime so they could once again boost the sales back up to these levels or beyond before any impending dips become too severe. In fact I'd say achieving these kinds of sales is becoming more likely now that the software library is filling up and there are now 3 colours to tempt the buyers. Put another way, I'd say that it is unlikely sales fill fall back to 20-25K levels anytime soon, perhaps not even till the summer or even all year.

cvxfreak

I think this week proved that it is indeed possible for the DS to outdo the PSP. With the GameCube vs. PS2, no matter how hard the GameCube tried, it would never outsell the PS2 except for three occasions in Japan: launch, Smash Bros. DX, and Tales of Symphonia. With the DS, it's very different. If Nintendo could work with third parties in getting good software out there, as well as putting out new colors every so often to increase awareness, then the DS is good to go against the PSP. The next set of games which should help sell the system are Nintendogs and Naruto, and sales of Kirby, Wario and Mario should continue. And the two new colors should bring in fans of flashier colors, like most girls and younger kids. The PokePark DS should also be a success. Overall, Nintendo just has to use its smaller guns and third parties to keep the DS up against the PSP, so eventually, Nintendo will have good momentum when it clinches the battle with Pokemon Diamond and Pearl.

CVXFREAK said:
I think this week proved that it is indeed possible for the DS to outdo the PSP. With the GameCube vs. PS2, no matter how hard the GameCube tried, it would never outsell the PS2 except for three occasions in Japan: launch, Smash Bros. DX, and Tales of Symphonia. With the DS, it's very different. If Nintendo could work with third parties in getting good software out there, as well as putting out new colors every so often to increase awareness, then the DS is good to go against the PSP. The next set of games which should help sell the system are Nintendogs and Naruto, and sales of Kirby, Wario and Mario should continue. And the two new colors should bring in fans of flashier colors, like most girls and younger kids. The PokePark DS should also be a success. Overall, Nintendo just has to use its smaller guns and third parties to keep the DS up against the PSP, so eventually, Nintendo will have good momentum when it clinches the battle with Pokemon Diamond and Pearl.

That Boy speaks sense

Top Bottom