• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 22 - 28 Aug

mutsu

ziran said:
PS2 Tales of Legendia 246,000, 75% shipment sold. it notes Symphonia debut was 257,000 and went on to sell 379,000.

Considering that Symphonia was released on the Gamecube before PS2, and Legendia is a brand new game on PS2, Legendia did really bad.

Actually, this would imply Dawn of Sorrow was a success (I STRESS, comparatively speaking in relation to the earlier GBA installments)

Aria of Sorrow was on GBA (much higher penatration than DS) and sold marginally better.

As long as the series is on the rise than all is well as far as Konami is concerned. I doubt the budget for Dawn of Sorrow was significantly higher than Aria either. But then again, franchise games always get a nice boost from new hardware, this is obvious, and probably the biggest reason why it sold well compartively. Everybody wants a new game for their newly bought system, regardless if they were big fans or not of the previous titles. This obviously applies to 360 and PS3 as well.

PezRadar said:
OH SHIT LA BOMBA LOLOLOLOLOL IM FUNNY /sarcasm

iseewhat3ag5vq.jpg

...sorry, I had to use it sometime.

C- Warrior said:
Actually, this would imply Dawn of Sorrow was a success (I STRESS, comparatively speaking in relation to the earlier GBA installments)

Aria of Sorrow was on GBA (much higher penatration than DS) and sold marginally better.

QFT! I'm actually surprised that it sold over 10k ...

dog$

Hates quality gaming
10K? I really doubt Konami would ever plan for 10K of sales in anything. 10K is what something like their latest Pop'n or DDR game pulls in; usually their Castlevania sales are slightly better.

I can't find any data on what the launch day totals were for the GBA, but unless the GBA sold more than 4.4 million units in Japan on the first day, Circle of the Moon did better than Dawn of Sorrow, in relative terms of sales.

wazoo

the first Castlevania on GBA sold like 25k in Japan and 500k worldwide.

same for the sequels (selling poorly in Japan)

jarrod

Banned
wazoo said:
the first Castlevania on GBA sold like 25k in Japan and 500k worldwide.

same for the sequels (selling poorly in Japan)
Actually, it was more like 30k in Japan and 500k in America. Worldwide I'd guess it closer to 700k overall. :)

I expect DoS will pass at least 200k in the US, though that depends on Konami's supply and distribution model (which sucks for GBA).

heidern

Igarashi said:
To tell the truth, I don't think it's even that 2D is only possible on handhelds, but more that it's only possible on DS.
CVXFREAK said:
22,224 22,224 2001/03/21 (CIRCLE OF THE MOON)
19,450 19,450 2003/05/08 (ARIA OF SORROW)
12,841 12,841 2002/06/06 (HARMONY OF DISSONANCE)
10. NDS Akumajou Dracula: Sougetsu no Juujika - Konami - 15,000 (new)
dog$ said:
Well, it doesn't seem "possible" on the DS either, Iga. What's your next excuse?

Actually, you are forgetting one very very very important fact. The DS card media is much cheaper than GBA carts, ergo the business model for the DS provides a significantly greater per unit profit than the GBA. So if sales on DS are comparable to GBA sales than the profit is actually greater than the GBA profit. So yeah, 2D is very much possible on the DS.

NWO

Tony HoTT said:
Why would Japanese developers move their games from DS to PSP because non-games are selling better on DS? PSP games aren't selling at all either.

True.

But these people are trying to argue why a Castlevania game should be put on the PSP and using PSP sales figures isn't really going to prove their point. It makes more sense for them to act like the game bombed on the DS because then people would assume that it should have gone on the PSP where in reality it would have just cost more to make and bombed even harder.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
heidern said:
if sales on DS are comparable to GBA sales than the profit is actually greater than the GBA profit
15000 is 67% of 22224.

I guess to some people that would be "comparable", but to me that's one-third less from what it reasonably should have been.

Do DS games cost 1/3rd less to create and distribute than GBA games? I doubt it, and unfortunately that's what your argument is hinging on here.

ps: if it needs repeating, my own personal stance is that a new Castlevania "belongs" on a console or it shouldn't exist. If Dawn of Sorrow was for PSP I still wouldn't want it.

CoolTrick

Banned
15000 is 67% of 22224.

Yes but you're dealing with low numbers for game sales both ways. If Dawn of Sorrow was a GBA game, I highly doubt the 7,000 or so difference was tha big in terms of profit.

heidern

dog$ said:
15000 is 67% of 22224.

ps: if it needs repeating, my own personal stance is that a new Castlevania "belongs" on a console or it shouldn't exist. If Dawn of Sorrow was for PSP I still wouldn't want it.

First, what you will find is the performance gap will decrease. Over time DoS will probably come between 75-90% of what CotM managed.

However, even then your comparison isn't the one that should be made. Regarding where does Castlevania "belong", the question that supercedes that is "where is Castlevania viable?". Due to development costs it is not viable on home consoles, as well as the fact people don't buy many console 2D games anymore. Those same issues apply to the psp, except that sales are even worse.

That leaves the GBA and the DS. When comparing you need to look at recent performance, you should not be looking at CotM. We're not comparing then to now, we're looking at now to now. The last GBA Castlevania launched at only 12,841 which is significantly less than DoS. In fact a new GBA Castlevania may sell even less. So in terms of sales and profitability the DS is better than the GBA. As well as that, the DS can make a much better CV game. It has the hardware potential to make the best CV game ever, even better than SotN(one day hopfully :) ). So in conclusion, the DS is the best place for a 2D Castlevania.

AniHawk

heidern said:
First, what you will find is the performance gap will decrease. Over time DoS will probably come between 75-90% of what CotM managed.

However, even then your comparison isn't the one that should be made. Regarding where does Castlevania "belong", the question that supercedes that is "where is Castlevania viable?". Due to development costs it is not viable on home consoles, as well as the fact people don't buy many console 2D games anymore. Those same issues apply to the psp, except that sales are even worse.

That leaves the GBA and the DS. When comparing you need to look at recent performance, you should not be looking at CotM. We're not comparing then to now, we're looking at now to now. The last GBA Castlevania launched at only 12,841 which is significantly less than DoS. In fact a new GBA Castlevania may sell even less. So in terms of sales and profitability the DS is better than the GBA. As well as that, the DS can make a much better CV game. It has the hardware potential to make the best CV game ever, even better than SotN(one day hopfully :) ). So in conclusion, the DS is the best place for a 2D Castlevania.

Actually the last GBA CV was Aria of Sorrow, and not Harmony of Dissonance.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
DS - 57,313
PS2 - 27,161
PSP - 20,322
GBASP - 11,144
GC - 2,586
GBA - 652
Xbox - 130

YTD / LTD
DS - 1,520,298 / 3,015,894
PSP - 1,170,476 / 1,652,728
DS Lead - 349,822 / 1,363,166

The DS breaks 3 million in Japan and after 8 months it has finally surpassed what it sold in the 5 weeks of 2004 (1,495,596).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Fuzzy said:
DS - 57,313
PS2 - 27,161
PSP - 20,322
GBASP - 11,144
GC - 2,586
GBA - 652
Xbox - 130

YTD / LTD

The DS breaks 3 million in Japan and after 8 months it has finally surpassed what it sold in the 5 weeks of 2004 (1,495,596).
:O

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Fuzzy said:
DS - 57,313
PS2 - 27,161
PSP - 20,322
GBASP - 11,144
GC - 2,586
GBA - 652
Xbox - 130

YTD / LTD

It's something freaky about DS almost outselling the PSP, GBA and PS2 combined.

Fuzzy

Anyone think the DS has a chance to break 4.5 million in Japan by the end of the year?

Fuzzy

AniHawk said:
That is absolutely incredible. What were the first 9 months of PS2 sales? GBA sales?
The PS2 launched March 4th 2000 and had 3,748,232 by the end of the year. The GBA launched March 21st 2001 and had 4,200,374 by the end of the year. So the DS is behind both of them.

Tim the Wiz said:
iseewhat3ag5vq.jpg

...sorry, I had to use it sometime.

QFT! I'm actually surprised that it sold over 10k ...

Some of you are fucking horrible at using the owl pics. Fucking christ. Run it right into the ground in record time.

mutsu

I think for DS, being a new "brand", to be getting this kind of sales is just incredible.

I mean, think about it, the PS2 sold 1 million on its first day/week, but DS sold only about 250K in the first week. The fact that after 9 months the DS is keeping up means that it is selling at a rate that PS2s were sold back in those days.

Jonnyram

Fuzzy said:
Anyone think the DS has a chance to break 4.5 million in Japan by the end of the year?
No sweat :)
Nintendo hardware always sells a ton at Christmas and with a new bunch of Touch! Generations games they should gain a lot of new non-gamers too.

Culex

Banned
Damn, August was a monstrous month in terms of DS hardware sales!

From August 1st to the 28th, the DS sold in Japan, 285,018 units.

That's quite insane.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
evilromero said:
Some of you are fucking horrible at using the owl pics. Fucking christ. Run it right into the ground in record time.

That shit happened 5 pages after the very topic it was started in.

Fuzzy

Culex said:
Damn, August was a monstrous month in terms of DS hardware sales!

From August 1st to the 28th, the DS sold in Japan, 285,018 units.

That's quite insane.
The insane part is that it came within 15K of outselling everything else combined (299,611).

Other notable numbers:

The "Nintendo Portable YTD" of DS+GBASP+GBA passed 2 million this week.

93.1% of Nintendo hardware units sold this year were portables. For Sony, it's 46.4%.

Fuzzy said:
If that's through the week of December 26, that's 18 weeks to go, averaging 82,451 units a week. Definitely a chance; just depends on exactly how big the bubble will be in December. At least 4.25 million.

mutsu said:
I mean, think about it, the PS2 sold 1 million on its first day/week, but DS sold only about 250K in the first week.
Week one in Japan was 468,883 by Media Create.

AniHawk

Fuzzy said:
The PS2 launched March 4th 2000 and had 3,748,232 by the end of the year. The GBA launched March 21st 2001 and had 4,200,374 by the end of the year. So the DS is behind both of them.

Thanks.

Still rather incredible, especially considering mid-January until Easter.

Jonnyram

AniHawk said:
White PSP might do the trick. Especially with WE9 and FFVIIAC (that's coming out that day, right?).
FFVIIAC on 14th, White PSP on 15th. However, it's worth considering that UMD movies have not taken off in Japan anywhere near as much as in the US.

DSXBoy

DS sales for the week - just over 48% of total hardware sales. Surely NDS can reach gamers that hardcore consoles can't. I wonder what the 20000 PSP buyers use their consoles for as there are so few PSP games. Financial losses are mounting for SONY!!!
:lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
DSXBoy said:
DS sales for the week - just over 48% of total hardware sales. Surely NDS can reach gamers that hardcore consoles can't. I wonder what the 20000 PSP buyers use their consoles for as there are so few PSP games. Financial losses are mounting for SONY!!!
:lol

Did you forget about NA?

heidern

Fuzzy said:
Yeah, there is a chance. For reference, the GBA did over 400K this past December even with the new handhelds. With the DS being the premier handheld it should be able to beat that. Possibly as high as 6-700K in December alone. That would mean if it does 800-1000K in the next 3 months it's got a great shot. But averaging 300K a month is gonna be tough.

Fuzzy said:
Not a totally fair comparison since the DS had the launch and Christmas boosts together. The GBA and ps2 had their launch boost, and then the Christmas boost. If you do a comparison come the end of this year(13 month comparison) the DS will have closed the gap significantly.

AniHawk said:
White PSP might do the trick. Especially with WE9 and FFVIIAC
The only thing is, Gyakuten Saiban, and perhaps more importantly Tamagotchi DS come out on the 15th too. So the DS may even beat the psp easily that week too. Although of course the GBM launch is gonna smash them both that week.

argon

Now that the DS is on fire, anyone think the GBmicro is going to cannibalize its sales? It just seems like the kind of classic blunder one would expect from Nintendo =)

AniHawk

argon said:
Now that the DS is on fire, anyone think the GBmicro is going to cannibalize its sales? It just seems like the kind of classic blunder one would expect from Nintendo =)

I expect the GBA to start competing with the Xbox more and more each week as SP sales drop to GCish levels as the micro replaces the SP's usual sales. Mushiking will prolly get a boost. Emerald prolly will too.

AniHawk

GDGF said:
Micro is the only thing. PSP is RIP in JPN.

20k/week is hardly dead. PSP will get a much belated revival on the 14th/15th. Remember how people were saying the DS was dead earlier in the year? Don't be that person.

cvxfreak

A Pokemon Blue or Yellow remake should have been released on the Micro launch in Japan. D/P are still a ways off, too. Should still do well, though. Maybe a few more Famicom Mini titles or even a 4th series would have been spectacular.

Top Bottom