• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 22 - 28 Aug

Jonnyram

software
1. PS2 Tales of Legendia - Namco - 242,000 (new)
2. PS2 Gundam Seed Destiny: Generation of C.E. - Bandai - 118,000 (new)
3. PS2 Naruto Uzumaki Ninden - Bandai - 34,000 (130,000)
4. NDS Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training - Nintendo - 32,000 (454,000)
5. PS2 Winning Eleven 9 - Konami - 30,000 (762,000)
6. PS2 Winning Post 7 - Koei - 28,000 (new)
7. NDS Yawaraka Atamajuku - Nintendo - 28,000 (412,000)
8. NDS Jump Super Stars - Nintendo - 28,000 (306,000)
9. GBA Mushiking - Sega - 15,000 (505,000)
10. NDS Akumajou Dracula: Sougetsu no Juujika - Konami - 15,000 (new)

hardware tomorrow

I guess Jump Super Stars is too hardcore for the japanese DS users, it certainly isn't as succesful as GAF preddicted

howver I think the Urusei Yatsura game will sell a lot compared to other anime lincense games

VerTiGo

Banned
Those are all pretty strong sales for the top 10. I'm guessing Castlevenia's first week of sales wasn't THAT bad.

Mrbob

Castlevania DS bombed.

Look at that. Non games selling in Japan but the elite games getting owned. Enjoy the DS success when a ton of non games come out for the system instead. :(

Hopefully the game sells much better in NA. It deserves more than 15K the first week.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
How much do you think actual developers care when they see software sales like that?

Are they personally vested, ya know?
Someone right now seeing 15K and jumping up and down?

Do developers are Capcom actually cry when Re4 only selle 200k in their home turf?

Or is it just the suites that get angry?

I always wonderd, is it for the art...... or the money?

cvxfreak

Famitsu

?? ? ? ?????????????????????? ??? GBA 22,224 22,224 2001/03/21 (CIRCLE OF THE MOON)

?? ? ? ???????????????????????? ??? GBA 19,450 19,450 2003/05/08 (ARIA OF SORROW)

? ? ? ????????????????? ??? GBA 12,841 12,841 2002/06/06 (HARMONY OF DISSONANCE)

Jonnyram

John Harker said:
How much do you think actual developers care when they see software sales like that?
Actually, the sales figures themselves don't hold as much weight as much as the Japanese press gives them. What matters are the margins the publishers are making (thanks Cormacaroni!)... So a game like Castlevania may only sell a small number, but because of low dev costs, the profits may be more than Legendia when all's said and done (exaggerated example).

puck1337

nubbe said:
I thought JSS would do a solid 500k+...
It certainly deserves it...
It will hit 500k by the time the New Year's shopping season is over. It's selling very well given the install base.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Igarashi said:
To tell the truth, I don't think it's even that 2D is only possible on handhelds, but more that it's only possible on DS.
CVXFREAK said:
22,224 22,224 2001/03/21 (CIRCLE OF THE MOON)
19,450 19,450 2003/05/08 (ARIA OF SORROW)
12,841 12,841 2002/06/06 (HARMONY OF DISSONANCE)
10. NDS Akumajou Dracula: Sougetsu no Juujika - Konami - 15,000 (new)
Well, it doesn't seem "possible" on the DS either, Iga. What's your next excuse?

dog$ said:
Well, it doesn't seem "possible" on the DS either, Iga. What's your next excuse?

I bet Iga is performing seppuku right now

I don't think it would do any better on the psp

edit: how many copies of the first PS2 castlevania were sold in the first week?

Mau ®

Most DS games in the chart are non-games and the ones that are games are flopping. If this trend continues publishers will just release wacko stuff meanwhile PSP is the portable that gets actual games.

Even so, Japan seemes less and less interested in traditional games and increasingly interested in non-games.

Don't take this the hard way I just find the whole situation amusing and somewhat sad, if Konami would have developed Castlevania for PSP then it probably would have sold much more here and maybe in Japan too.

Andy787

Banned
So stuff like Castlevania, Advance Wars, Lost in Blue, etc bomb, while Brain Training continues to mop up. :/

Shit, even much more Japanese-centric, traditional games like Naruto 2, Bleach, MMBN, and Fullmetal Alchemist have bombed (as far as I know), and from the looks of it, JSS hasn't performed as Earth-shatteringly as expected either.

I'm actually starting to really like the DS, and it's mainly a bunch of quirky off-beat games that I'm looking forward to on it, but goddamnit, if Brain Training and Nintendogs set the precendent (as much as I actually like Nintendogs) as the only things that sell for the DS, I really don't know if I like the direction it's games will likely be taking.. :/

Dalthien

dog$ said:

Just exactly what type of sales numbers were you expecting? The DS has a userbase of 3 million in Japan, which is absolutely amazing considering it has only been out for 9 months, but which is still a fairly small userbase at this point. The game sells on par with the past three Castlevania games on the GBA, and you somehow think that's a failure. Are you insane? Maybe you should stop trying to take any cheapshot you can to swipe at the DS. The game sold what it was expected to. It actually probably sold a bit above expectations considering the small userbase at this early stage in the DS lifecycle.

AniHawk

Andy787 said:
So stuff like Castlevania, Advance Wars, Lost in Blue, etc bomb, while Brain Training continues to mop up. :/

Shit, even much more Japanese-centric, traditional games like Naruto 2, Bleach, MMBN, and Fullmetal Alchemist have bombed (as far as I know), and from the looks of it, JSS hasn't performed as Earth-shatteringly as expected either.

I'm actually starting to really like the DS, and it's mainly a bunch of quirky off-beat games that I'm looking forward to on it, but goddamnit, if Brain Training and Nintendogs set the precendent (as much as I actually like Nintendogs) as the only things that sell for the DS, I really don't know if I like the direction it's games will likely be taking.. :/

You know that Advance Wars 1 & 2 was last charted at 26,637 in Japan, right?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
re: Dalthien

I'm not going to quote-block each point.

If I were Konami, I'd be expecting 22,224 copies sold, at least. I never used the word "failure" in reference to its sales; however, they are factually lower than CotM, so the sales are still poor. I'd be very, very surprised if Konami forecasted the sales of Dracula DS to be this low. Placing Iga's quote in the context of these low sales is important, because it might go to show that he isn't 100% correct in his statement.

And I'll take cheapshots at all worthless handhelds any time I please, thank you.

Dalthien

Andy787 said:

Not to belabour the point here, but everyone must keep context in mind. Naruto 1 DS is just under 200,000 sold, Naruto 2 DS is just about 75,000 sold. Not bad numbers. The new Naruto game for the PS2 is only at 130,000 after 2 weeks, and it has a vastly superior userbase than the DS.

As Anihawk pointed out, Advance Wars is not a popular series in Japan, and Advance Wars DS will keep pretty much on par with the latest Japanese releases in the series.

Full Metal Alchemist 3: Kami o Tsugu Shoujo (Square-Enix) for the PS2 only sold 46,954 total through July 31/05 (Famitsu). Even going back to 2004, Fullmetal Alchemist: Meisou no Rondo (Bandai) for the GBA sold 135,637, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Akaki Elixir no Akuma (Square-Enix) for the PS2 sold 135,361 through all of 2004. So, anyone expecting big sales for a FMA game on the DS was deluding themselves. The series hasn't put up huge numbers on the PS2 or GBA lately, so it wasn't going to happen on the DS either.

As CVXFreak showed a few posts ago, the DS Castlevania also sold on par with the last three GBA Castlevania titles.

Expecting games to magically begin outselling their GBA or PS2 brethen by huge margins are just not being realistic. These series have all sold poorly in their past few iterations, and the DS has sold on par with their past sales numbers. Expecting something different is just silly.

As for Jump Superstars, I fully expect it to keep selling about 20,000 per week, and it will easily top 500,000 by the end of the year. Probably closer to 600,000 or 700,000 with a good XMas. Believe me, the number of games that will sell that many copies in Japan in 2005 will be a small handful of titles. So - trying to say that Jump Superstars is selling poorly is also not really being realistic.

mutsu

Dalthien said:
As for Jump Superstars, I fully expect it to keep selling about 20,000 per week, and it will easily top 500,000 by the end of the year. Probably closer to 600,000 or 700,000 with a good XMas. Believe me, the number of games that will sell that many copies in Japan in 2005 will be a small handful of titles. So - trying to say that Jump Superstars is selling poorly is also not really being realistic.

Well said.

Plus the fact that DS has only a very small user base compare to the other handheld/consoles, it is doing very well.

Tony HoTT

Banned
Why would Japanese developers move their games from DS to PSP because non-games are selling better on DS? PSP games aren't selling at all either.

Jonnyram

mutsu said:
That is considerably worse than the previous installments on the PS2 IIRC.
I think the Tales series has been on a slippery slope for a while now. They need to give it some more oomph somehow.

neo2046

I just hope Castlevania sells well in US and Europe
I really want a Castlevania sequel in handheld again :D

[OT]I just saw last night that
during July and Aug in Japan
GBA has sold around 150k
PSP has sold around 200k
NDS has sold around 500k

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
neo2046 said:
[OT]I just saw last night that
during July and Aug in Japan
GBA has sold around 150k
PSP has sold around 200k
NDS has sold around 500k
I don't know which numbers you saw (probably Famitsu's) but MC numbers put them at the following for the last 7 weeks.

GBA - 96,067
PSP - 150,083
DS - 391,535

Beowvlf

Banned
mutsu said:
That is considerably worse than the previous installments on the PS2 IIRC.
Maybe so, but that is still 1,727,880,000 Yen (~15 million US) in revenue on the first week alone for Namco; I'm sure they're more than pleased with that number.

Zeo

Banned
inthezone said:
Most DS games in the chart are non-games and the ones that are games are flopping. If this trend continues publishers will just release wacko stuff meanwhile PSP is the portable that gets actual games.

Even so, Japan seemes less and less interested in traditional games and increasingly interested in non-games.

Don't take this the hard way I just find the whole situation amusing and somewhat sad, if Konami would have developed Castlevania for PSP then it probably would have sold much more here and maybe in Japan too.

Yeah, Jump Super Stars sure is doing bad.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Nice thread. I especially love the part where the guy deduces that the DS will end up with only non-games because of Brain-Training.

ziran

dengeki

PS2 Tales of Legendia 246,000, 75% shipment sold. it notes Symphonia debut was 257,000 and went on to sell 379,000.

PS2 Gundam Seed Destiny: Generation of C.E. 133,000, 75% of shipment sold. previous Gundam Seed debut was 157,000, went on to sell 240,000.

DS 51,700, 45.8% of total hardware.

AniHawk

ziran said:
dengeki

PS2 Tales of Legendia 246,000, 75% shipment sold. it notes Symphonia debut was 257,000 and went on to sell 379,000.

PS2 Gundam Seed Destiny: Generation of C.E. 133,000, 75% of shipment sold. previous Gundam Seed debut was 157,000, went on to sell 240,000.

?

If MC's are similar, then that's over 3,000,000 systems sold in under 9 months. Absolutely incredible.

mj1108

ziran said:
dengeki

For Dengeki, if the DS had about 51,700 and 45.8%, that means there was about 113,000 HW total sold for the week. So, now to break down the remaining 62k....

Whats with the brickheaded retards in this thread, Castlevania and Advance Wars has never been popular franchies in Japan.. NEVER How many times do people have to repeat that for half of you to fkin understand, Christ, quit saying EVERYTHING bombs cause its not popular in japan but is here in the US and EU.

kIdMuScLe

don't worry, once Pokemon DS arrives for the system, the real handheld gamers will show up and will actually start buyin "true handheld games"

Top Bottom