• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 25 Apr - 1 May

Jonnyram

software:
1. PS2 Mobile Suit Gundam One Year War - Bandai - 33,906 (268,238)
2. DS Naruto Saikyou Ninja Daikesshu 3 for DS - Tomy - 32,958 (117,153)
3. PS2 Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song - Square Enix - 31,037 (247,941)
4. DS nintendogs Shiba & friends - Nintendo - 30,463 (113,048)
5. PS2 Baseball Live 2005 - Namco - 24,154 (68,006)
6. GC Fire Emblem Souen no Kiseki - Nintendo - 22,221 (124,294)
7. DS nintendogs Dachs & friends - Nintendo - 19,971 (72,234)
8. DS nintendogs Chihuahua & friends - Nintendo - 18,483 (64,309)
9. PS2 Rave Buster Darkness Century - Bandai - 16,581 (NEW)
10. PS2 Spectral Force Chronicles - Idea Factory - 12,285 (NEW)

hardware:
DS 64,247 - 739,557 - LTD 2,236,153
PS2 40,471 - 828,824
PSP 38,778 - 796,654 - LTD 1,268,906
GBASP 14,616 - 280,128
GC 6,125 - 99,574
GBA 448 - 9,594
Xbox 271 - 6,360

Hollywood

Banned
DS 64,247 - 739,557 - LTD 2,236,153
PSP 38,778 - 796,654 - LTD 1,268,906

The DS needs what, another two weeks to catch PSP? Or actually since its May 10, just the rest of this week since last weeks sales aren't out yet? Where the playa hata's at now? "PSP will soon dominate" "PSP will take over now, DS is only ahead because of launch." Uh huh.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"MILLION! MILLION! MILLION! "

:D
I know....
what WERE they thinking???

I think they were using the "Oh, the PS2 has a 40 mill plus Japanese installed userbase - that OBVIOUSLY equals more sales!!!!" logic to ill effect.

There are just TOO MANY games to chose from, was yet another Gundam game gonna shatter a million?

anyways, lets face it, this game is gonna be 980 yen very soon,
then not long after that 580 yen...

I'm waiting! :)

Hollywood

Banned
WTF whenever hte PSP beat the DS by this much Sony idiots were in here making a 10 page thread. Damnit, I demand Nintendo fanboys to strike back.

duckroll

Hollywood said:
WTF whenever hte PSP beat the DS by this much Sony idiots were in here making a 10 page thread. Damnit, I demand Nintendo fanboys to strike back.

That's what I've been seeing! I want the photoshops, the witty retorts, the declaration of victories, etc! :lol

Mrbob

Hollywood said:

It'll be a short lived victory since April NPD numbers are due out Thursday.

Besides, PSP sells 38K with no software out. What do you think it'll do when killer software + pricedrop comes? :D

It's funny, PSP and DS are almost opposites when it comes to NA/Japan

North America PSP releases are better than Japan releases. DS Japan releases are better than NOrth American releases.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Hollywood said:

I would but I suck at teh photoshop. I'll just be content in screaming 'I told you so' at the top of my lungs :)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
nintendo idiots can't raise a wholehearted fuss: there's no dignity in a victory won by puppies. deep down they're pulling for psp too. FOR HANDHELD GAMING. FOR THE GOOD OF THE INDUSTRY. FOR PSP. :(

Jonnyram

Mrbob said:
Yeah it's messed up. I just hope Drinky understands that I still love him even though my DS gets more attention than my PSP ;)

Hollywood

Banned
Mrbob said:
It'll be a short lived victory since April NPD numbers are due out Thursday.

Besides, PSP sells 38K with no software out. What do you think it'll do when killer software + pricedrop comes? :D

North America PSP releases are better than Japan releases. DS Japan releases are better than NOrth American releases.

What will happen when Nintendo makes Pokemon/Mario/Zelda game? DS people were saying the same thing last year 'wait till new stuff comes out'. Now a dog petting game comes out and thats enough to knock down the PSP. :lol

cvxfreak

Hollywood said:
What will happen when Nintendo makes Pokemon/Mario/Zelda game? DS people were saying the same thing last year 'wait till new stuff comes out'. Now a dog petting game comes out and thats enough to knock down the PSP. :lol

Does Super Mario 64 DS count as the Mario game?

Mrbob

Hollywood said:

DS will sell more? I really don't care how the PSP sells in relations to the DS, as long as it sells enough to be supported. PSP sales are fine, especially for a $250 portable.

If the DS was truly stopping the PSP it would be going down in sales. Not staying the same and going up. Look at the week the DS sold 82K. The PSP stayed steady at 30K. It looks like DS sales aren't affecting PSP sales at all (And you could say vice versa i guess).

GDGF

Soothsayer
LowTecky said:
So Sony is losing money on PSP hardware and not gaining it back with software!

Just as I predicted several months ago. I see dark days for Sony ahead. The handheld war is already over.

(better?)

Jonnyram

LowTecky said:
So Sony is losing money on PSP hardware and not gaining it back with software!
At the moment, yes. I wonder how the homebrew scene is going to affect the situation if it starts to pick up speed.

Kolgar

What a sad bunch of losers on both sides of the PSP/DS "war." (Which isn't even an apples-to-apples comparison, but I won't go there now.)

Grow up.

Pimpwerx

Damn...them dogs are kicking some PSP butt. I will admit I was very wrong about them. I thought Nintendo fans were fucking crazy, but looks like them gay dogs worked the trick alright. :lol IMO, the PSP is just plain overpriced. But I don't know if that's what the problem is over there, the DS might just be the bee's knees for all I know. I know the price is what's driving me away here though. If Sony overprices the PS3 in the same way, then I hope they experience embarassing periods like this then too. PEACE.

vitaflo

Jonnyram said:
At the moment, yes. I wonder how the homebrew scene is going to affect the situation if it starts to pick up speed.

Well, it would make me have to go out and buy a PSP of course. ;)

LowTecky

Pimpwerx said:
Damn...them dogs are kicking some PSP butt. I will admit I was very wrong about them. I thought Nintendo fans were fucking crazy, but looks like them gay dogs worked the trick alright. :lol IMO, the PSP is just plain overpriced. But I don't know if that's what the problem is over there, the DS might just be the bee's knees for all I know. I know the price is what's driving me away here though. If Sony overprices the PS3 in the same way, then I hope they experience embarassing periods like this then too. PEACE.

Isn't the PSP like 185 in japan? Thats pretty damn cheap.

PSP's total of 1,268,906 puts it where DS was ~December 26. Considering year-to-date on the other hand, DS's YTD of 740,557 puts it where PSP's YTD was ~April 23.

The 2005 DS/PSP ratio is 48.5% DS, 51.5% PSP. Or tossing in GBAs, 56.7% Nintendo portable, 43.3% Sony portable. Toss in home consoles as well, though, and for the year it's 41.1% Nintendo, 58.7% Sony, 0.2% Microsoft.

Being another week of DS lead, the theoretical meetup date is again negative and useless: August 8, 2004 at -203,783 units apiece. The "DS stops selling" meetup date is October 22, 2005.

The overall DS-PSP difference is back up to 967,247, so if DS gains 32,573 more that would bring it back to 1 million. Even less likely is it gaining 92,606, which would match it up with the peak unit difference of the past.

Not counting the one week where the DS was on the charts and PSP wasn't, DS has been ahead 10 weeks in which it was ahead by a total of 702,700 for an average weekly lead of 70,270. PSP has been ahead 11 weeks for a total of 204,336, and an average 18,576 lead.

Chart o' the day: 2005 YTD.

20050510pspdsytd.gif

For anyone with OpenOffice.org who wants a copy of my spreadsheet, I've put it up here at RapidShare.

Mrbob said:
If the DS was truly stopping the PSP it would be going down in sales. Not staying the same and going up. Look at the week the DS sold 82K. The PSP stayed steady at 30K. It looks like DS sales aren't affecting PSP sales at all (And you could say vice versa i guess).
Ehh, it's hard to say. DS didn't have an 82K week, though it did have a 96K week during which PSP was 33K up from 30K the week before... but those were its absolute lowest two weeks. Certainly the PSP has had its lowest numbers during the DS's few recent booms. Inverse relationship or just an expected slowing down which DS has avoided due to big games/hardware releases? Y'all can decide that. Here's a chart comparing DS and PSP weeklies for this year:

20050510pspdsweeklies.gif

Pimpwerx said:
If Sony overprices the PS3 in the same way, then I hope they experience embarassing periods like this then too. PEACE.
Hell, PS2 has remained the most expensive option and the weaker hardware, and that's worked for them.

Mrbob

duckroll said:
It's 250 like everywhere else. The "normal pack" which is supposedly 190 is mysteriously nowhere to be found. :)

Thus why sales have dropped from 50K a week to 30-35K.

kutaragicry.gif

I love this gif! :lol

DCharlie

"I meant the top 10 anti sony spinner."

... what is _that_ supposed to mean then???

lol - sorry , i'm dense - i get you now.
There was no software out that week!

Although there were some extra Movies... and Derby time right?
and Lupin Dollar slot. and that graphic novel game thing.

I'd agree that they are hardly hardware drivers (well, the UMDs at current prices aren't IMO)

Jonnyram

DCharlie said:
lol - sorry , i'm dense - i get you now.
There was no software out that week!
There were two games out that week. Higanshima and Doraslot. The latter sold about 9k, but Higanshima bombed, like the new DS games Guru Guru Nagetto and Devilish. Hardware sales are not just based on the week's new releases though ;)

DCharlie

"It's 250 like everywhere else. The "normal pack" which is supposedly 190 is mysteriously nowhere to be found. "

actually, next weeks sales will be interesting because i did see it in a lot more places than usual.

duckroll said:
It's 250 like everywhere else. The "normal pack" which is supposedly 190 is mysteriously nowhere to be found. :)

A week and a half ago Sofmap in 有楽町 (Yuurakuchou) had a few new standard packs in stock. Dunno abuot now, or if they will be refilling that stock.

*edit*
stock of normal pack is also replenished on JPN Playstation Store Site

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Pimpwerx said:
IMO, the PSP is just plain overpriced. But I don't know if that's what the problem is over there, the DS might just be the bee's knees for all I know. I know the price is what's driving me away here though. If Sony overprices the PS3 in the same way, then I hope they experience embarassing periods like this then too. PEACE.
For what the PSP is it's not over-priced, just expensive.

Rock_Man

2(3) DS Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 3 (Tomy)
4(4) DS Nintendogs: Shiba and Friends (Nintendo)
7(5) DS Nintendogs: Dachs and Friends (Nintendo)
8(6) DS Nintendogs: Chihuahua and Friends (Nintendo)
12(14) DS Touch! Kirby (Nintendo)
14(11) PSP Derby Time (Sony)
17(10) PSP Shutokou Battle (Genki)
20(NEW) PSP Dora-Slot 2: Suyaku wa Zenigata (Dorart)
30(21) DS Sawaru Made in Wario (Nintendo)
32(24) DS Egg Monster Hero (Square Enix)
34(27) DS Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
40(28) PSP Minna no Golf Portable (Sony)
41(RE) DS Bokujou Monogatari: Colobocle Station (Marvelous)
43(30) PSP Tales of Eternia (Namco)
46(32) PSP Sarugetchu P! (Sony)

I'm quite surprised at the semi-poor sales of Kirby. What happened there? You look at the GBA Kirby games and see phenomenal sales with extremely long legs.. and then you have DS Kirby.. and sure.. it has some legs.. but it's only around 140K or so? That's not horrible.. but it's not typical Kirby numbers either. Personally, I think it's low even though the DS userbase is much smaller than the GBAs.

Top Bottom