• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 28 Feb - 6 Mar

Jonnyram

Software

1. PS2 Shin Sangoku Musou 4 / Koei / 129,000 / 699,000
2. PSP Tales of Eternia / Namco / 81,000 / 81,000
3. GBA Rockman EXE 5 Team of Colonel / Capcom / 38,000 / 101,000
4. GC Starfox Assault / Nintendo / 30,000 / 110,000
5. PS2 Dragonball Z / Bandai / 27,000 / 588,000
6. GC Harvest Moon: Song of Happiness / Marvellous / 21,000 / 21,000
7. DS Another Code: Two Memories / Nintendo / 20,000 / 80,000
8. PS2 Devil May Cry 3 / Capcom / 18,000 / 252,000
9. PS2 Jissen Pachislot: Fist of the North Star+ / Sega / 17,000 / 66,000
10. PSP Namco Museum / Namco / 12,000 / 34,000

Hardware (thanks Izzy!)
PSP - 47,633
PS2 - 44,228
DS - 25,759
GBASP - 12,307
GC - 3,635
GBA - 398
Xbox - 177

Dengeki comment states that the 2004 fiscal year (Apr 1 2004 - Mar 31 2005) is the first time in 3 years that the Japan game market has increased in size. Maybe things are looking up.

Rhindle

Jonnyram said:
Dengeki comment states that the 2004 fiscal year (Apr 1 2004 - Mar 31 2005) is the first time in 3 years that the Japan game market has increased in size. Maybe things are looking up.
Probably not. There just happened to be a $80 Dragon Quest title in the mix.

explodet

Rhindle said:
Probably not. There just happened to be a $80 Dragon Quest title in the mix.
There was also the introduction of two new pieces of hardware and all the software that was sold along with it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm surprised nobody posted the hardware numbers yet so here they are.

PSP - 47,633
PS2 - 44,228
DS - 25,759
GBASP - 12,307
GC - 3,635
GBA - 398
Xbox - 177

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Fuzzy said:
I'm surprised nobody posted the hardware numbers yet so here they are.

PSP - 47,633
PS2 - 44,228
DS - 25,759
GBASP - 12,307
GC - 3,635
GBA - 398
Xbox - 177

Well here's something else that's no longer fun to argue about anymore.

saelz8

PSP's still lookin up.

Edit. Was PSP in the Number one spot last time we saw the hardware figures? Slipped my mind.

I'm glad this got bumped, I completely missed the software numbers when they were first posted.

Tales of Eternia is doing very well, and I hope they bring it to the US PSP.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Quellex said:
PSP's still lookin up.

Edit. Was PSP in the Number one spot last time we saw the hardware figures? Slipped my mind.

The last two weeks the PSP was behind the PS2.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
mashoutposse said:
Nearly 2:1...

Been that way for some time. The PSP has never actually sold 2:1 yet, but its been very close, for weeks now.

It seems both systems have levels off, at their current respective levels.

GhaleonEB

Looks like a trend has been firmly established. Of course, at this rate it will take forever for the PSP to catch up...but it will happen.

Link316 said:
wonder what Nintendo's gonna do when the DS starts selling the same amount as the GBA

If that's the case, I would imagine they'd probably want to consider a price drop. The price gap between the DS and PSP in the US is larger than the one in Japan.

Izzy

Banned
Last week's chart:

PS2 44,378
PSP 41,867
DS 26,761
GBASP 11,124
GC 3,351
GBA 341
Xbox 245

This week's chart:

PSP - 47,633
PS2 - 44,228
DS - 25,759
GBASP - 12,307
GC - 3,635
GBA - 398
Xbox - 177

EDIT: Whoops, I put in PS2's numbers rather than PSP's, which changed things all over the place.

New spreadsheet data:
DS:pSP ratio overall is now 1.93:1, or 65.9% DS and 34.1% PSP.
PSP's share of PSP/DS weekly market is 64.9%, its best week yet.
New projected meet date is December 20, 2005 at 2.94 million units.
Projected meet date if DS sells 0 from now on: July 16, 2005.

DS weeks in lead: 6 (including week before PSP released)
PSP weeks in lead: 8
Average DS lead when in lead: 176,642
Average PSP lead when in lead: 19,515

Presuming PSP can muster at least 27,579 units sold next week, it will pass 1 million by Media Create's count.

If put into a monthly rather than weekly format, grouping things by the month that begins each weekly sales period:
Code:
__________________DS         PSP
November     468,883
December   1,026,713     482,252
January      279,474     316,383
February     101,088     173,786

actually, when you compare the DS/PSP monthly sales, the DS far out ways the PSP and so the PSP is STILL selling through to people who wanted one initially, or at least still satisfying early demand.

I really wish the PS2 would stop selling like that. It reminds me of how the 2600 continued to sell well even after the introduction of the Colecovision and the INTV.

Jonnyram

I would guess that ToE created a fair bit of demand for PSP hardware, though the main buyers are word of mouth buyers using it for watching TV while commuting and stuff. A LOT of people are buying it for exactly this purpose and picking up 1 or 2 games with the hardware. It's a repeat performance of the PS2 launch, pretty much, which will be no bad thing if it maintains momentum.

DS sales are steady, and might well gain momentum with the solid software releases over the next couple of months and the new colours. End of April should be a big jump (Nintendogs and the pastel coloured hardware).

With all the advertising in Japan I'm surprised DS sales haven't picked up. Especially with Kirby and several key third party games just around the corner.

ThongyDonk said:
actually, when you compare the DS/PSP monthly sales, the DS far out ways the PSP and so the PSP is STILL selling through to people who wanted one initially, or at least still satisfying early demand.
anything to justify/rationalize, right?

and I think your mean "out weighs"

acklame

yea Namco should really bring ToE over to the US.

what does namco has next for the psp? they certainly have been the most prolific jpn 3rd party publisher on psp.

cvxfreak

evilromero said:
With all the advertising in Japan I'm surprised DS sales haven't picked up. Especially with Kirby and several key third party games just around the corner.

I think the new colors will also make a nice impact. Kirby should also be the strongest seller since Sawaru and Mario 64 DS.

Is it just my imagination or does the SP + DS combo sell less then the SP did when it was alone on the market? Is this decline in sales to attribute to the PSP doing so well or is it because the consumers are insecure seeing 2 machines of the same brand in stores at the same time?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
evilromero said:
Well I think it showed when Pokemon hit GBA that the sale price of it only sky-rocketed when the game actually came out. It might pick up when Nintendogs hits though so who knows.

I Can't create a new thread, these are sales for 10/3

1 PS2 Sangokushi X
2 NDS Meteos
3 NDS Pacpix
4 PS2 Rockman X8
5 PS2 Dynasty Warriors 4
6 GBA 1000 family
7 PS2 Shadow Harts II director's cutting(PlayStation2 the Best)
8 PS2 Of Esunapishutem-(production first time version)
9 PS2 Growlanser IV Return
10 PSP Tales of Eternia
11 PS2 Of Esunapishutem-(limited edition)
12 PS2 Shadow of rome
13 PS2 Dragonball Z 3
14 PS2 Tom Clancy series rainbow six 3
15 GC Starfox assault
16 PS2 Fist of the north star Pachinko +
17 PS2 Devil May Cry3
18 NDS Two another code memory
19 GC Harvest Moon
20 PS2 Rumble rose

jarrod

Banned
Elios83 said:
It's the first week.
It will reach 250k-300k as Ridge Racers did.
Ridge Racers got to ride the launch push though... and it still isn't to 250k even. I think Eternia's going to stall around 180-220k.

Insertia said:
that pent up launch demand for PSP doesn't seem to be slowing down!
Actually, I'd disagree. For most of January it was ranging 62-75K, followed by 5 weeks under 50K. This week was higher than any other in February, though, surely due to Tales. PSP February numbers were basically like DS's January (not counting the first week of January). PSP has now reached where DS was ~December 22.

dspspq1.gif

dspspq2.gif

johnjohnson said:
Is it just my imagination or does the SP + DS combo sell less then the SP did when it was alone on the market? Is this decline in sales to attribute to the PSP doing so well or is it because the consumers are insecure seeing 2 machines of the same brand in stores at the same time?
I'd say more the former. The portable market is growing with the introduction of the new machines, but certainly Nintendo can't continue to pull numbers like when they were the only major game in town.

maharg

idspispopd
So far the PSP's lead is a pretty far cry from the predictions made by several prominent posters here that once production went up, demand would continue to meet or exceed it. I wouldn't be doing any banana dancing just yet.

THE EYE said:
So far the PSP's lead is a pretty far cry from the predictions made by several prominent posters here that once production went up, demand would continue to meet or exceed it. I wouldn't be doing any banana dancing just yet.

I dunno a 20K lead every week now is pretty significant and I would say the "launch honeymoon" is over for the PSP, so it continuing to hold such a lead is impressive.

I would think Sony has to be thrilled with those PSP sales. I mean its outselling the DS + GBA SP week in, week out like the last 15 years of Nintendo handheld monopoly means nothing to it.

soundwave05 said:
I dunno a 20K lead every week now is pretty significant and I would say the "launch honeymoon" is over for the PSP, so it continuing to hold such a lead is impressive.
The numbers are so minor at this time, though. In the eight weeks since PSP started outselling DS in weekly sales, it's outsold DS by a total of 156,116 units. However, during the previous six weeks, DS outsold PSP by 176,642 units... per week.

Kseutron

It'll be interesting to see how the DS sales will grow next week (meteos+pac-pix should help)

but the real significant boost could come from kirby and nintendogs release

Pimpwerx

JoshuaJSlone said:
The numbers are so minor at this time, though. In the eight weeks since PSP started outselling DS in weekly sales, it's outsold DS by a total of 156,116 units. However, during the previous six weeks, DS outsold PSP by 176,642 units... per week.
DS's damage is all front-loaded. The PSP has outsold it by a considerable *proportion* for much longer than that. Basically, if the PSP continues to outsell Nintendo's combined handheld sales like this, then it's not gonna take that long to outsell the DS once sales pick up. These are the slow times. Isn't the end of March a big sales time in Japan? What happens when that 20k unit gap suddenly balloons to 60-100k units for weeks at a time? I wouldn't expect Nintendo to be satisfied with such a tenuous lead. I think they'd want to see sustained sales power, which the DS is not showing right now. Selling 20-30k units per week couldn't have been in their plans. PEACE.

Top Bottom