• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 30 May - 5 Jun

Jonnyram

1. NDS Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training - Nintendo - 30,000 (121,000)
2. PS2 Berwick Saga - Enterbrain - 25,000 (110,000)
3. PS2 Namco x Capcom - Namco - 23,000 (110,000)
4. PSP Gagharv Trilogy: A Drop of Scarlet - Bandai - 13,000 (NEW)
5. NDS SD Gundam G Generation DS - Bandai - 13,000 (66,000)
6. PS2 Yuyu Hakusho Forever - Banpresto - 12,000 (111,000)
7. NDS nintendogs Shiba & Friends - Nintendo - 11,000 (187,000)
8. PS2 Racing Battle C1 Grand Prix - Genki - 11,000 (50,000)
9. PS2 Hanjuku Hero 4: Seven Hanjuku Heroes - Square Enix - 10,000 (43,000)
10. NDS Jissen Pachislot: Fist of the North Star - Sega - 8,000 (NEW)

Hardware to come tomorrow.

john tv

Hey Jonny, did you ever get Killer 7? And/or post any impressions?

BTW, Gagharv's official English title is "A Tear of Vermilion," if you care.

Good to see Brain Training taking off!

Jonnyram

john tv said:
Yeah I got it but haven't posted impressions yet. I enjoyed the hour or so that I played... I think a lot of people will be surprised how good it is.

BTW, Gagharv's official English title is "A Tear of Vermilion," if you care.
Do you know the official name for the third part too?

Meier

Surprisingly low numbers for Fist of the North Star. I imagine it might have decent legs but who knows really. I guess it's mostly salary men buying it for PS2 and thus it didnt sell as well on the younger-skewing DS. Not that there arent plenty of adult owners as evidenced by the Brain Training sales though.

4. PSP Gagharv Trilogy: A Drop of Scarlet - Bandai - 13,000 (NEW)
5. NDS SD Gundam G Generation DS - Bandai - 13,000 (66,000)

hey hey hey! they got the same sales why did PSP get #4? huh huh?

new game with 13,000

or a week old game with 13,000

who should get the top spot?

/end damage control :D

GDGF

Soothsayer
Smiles and Cries said:
hey hey hey! they got the same sales why did PSP get #4? huh huh?

new game with 13,000

or a week old game with 13,000

who should get the top spot?

/end damage control :D

It was a mercy debut ;)

john tv

Jonnyram said:
Yeah I got it but haven't posted impressions yet. I enjoyed the hour or so that I played... I think a lot of people will be surprised how good it is.

Do you know the official name for the third part too?
Yep yep. It's "A Cagesong of the Ocean."

Bebpo

Banned
john tv said:

Not Jonny but I'll be picking up the GC Killer 7 after work today and putting NamcoxCapcom on hold for a few days while I run through it. I expect to put a good few hours in tonight and write up impressions.

Jonnyram

Some comparisons:
Fire Emblem sold 124k in two weeks, so sold better than Berwick Saga and Namco x Capcom up to this point.
Gagharv Trilogy part 1 sold 21k in its first week. Did sales drop for part 2 because people don't enjoy the game or because of the firmware issue?

Fularu said:
part 3 is Shiroki Majo right?
That was part 1 of this trilogy but part 3 of the whole Eiyuu Densetsu series.

neo2046

Jonnyram said:
Gagharv Trilogy part 1 sold 21k in its first week. Did sales drop for part 2 because people don't enjoy the game or because of the firmware issue?
someone says the loading time in part 1 hurts the sales of part 2

Go! Go! Go! Adulting brain Training :D

heavenly

Since PSP hasn't really improved the tie ratio since launch (DS is improving slightly), I think companies should be realistic with their sales expectations from now on in Japan. At the moment, companies shouldn't expect a million seller, half a mil, or even quarter of a mil unless the hype behind the game is strong amongst casuals. So, they should make sure the budget for the development of the handheld games are reasonable and realistic.

Nintendo appears to be the only developer profiting 'significantly' on the DS platform. Whether 3rd parties gets a 'nice' piece of the pie throughout it's lifecycle remains to be seen. However, I think, Nintendo has the momentum in Japan as far as handhelds is concern. Which is probably shocking major 3rd parties and Sony themselves. I expected the DS to be D.O.P (PSP).A.

I think companies are understanding the lower risk involved in creating games for the DS, and realize that the Japanese audience aren't ignoring the DS platform. And it appears to be a mainstay for the future. Nintendo has done an amazing job in Japan with this piece of outdated technology. I guess they do know handhelds.

mj1108

AniHawk said:
PSP sales will be up this week and next week.

Let's hope so because if it keeps going down, these sales thread will only get funnier.

Smiles and Cries said:
Ah can't wait for hardware I live for this :D

(as long as Nintendo DS is kicking ass that is)

Predictions?

DS: 33k
PSP: 24k

Deku

Banned
heavenly said:
Since PSP hasn't really improved the tie ratio since launch (DS is improving slightly), I think companies should be realistic with their sales epectations from now on in Japan. At the moment, companies shouldn't expect a million seller, half a mil, or even quarter of a mil unless the hype behind the game is strong amongst casuals. So, they should make sure the budget for the development of the console games are reasonable and realistic.

Nintendo appears to be the only developer profiting 'significantly' on the DS platform. Whether 3rd parties gets a 'nice' piece of the pie throughout it's lifecycle remains to be seen. However, I think, Nintendo has the momentum in Japan as far as handhelds is concern. Which is probably shocking major 3rd parties and Sony themselves. I expected the DS to be D.O.P (PSP).A.

I think companies are understanding the lower risk involved in creating games for the DS, and realize that the Japanese audience aren't ignoring the DS platform. And it appears to be a mainstay for the future. Nintendo has done an amazing job in Japan with this piece of outdated technology. I guess they do know handhelds.

The thing with the DS is that developers could probably have a 100k seller and make a fortune.

David Sheff's Game Over mentioned that in the days of the FamiCom, the average Famicom game did about 20k in sales.

The economics and expectations have shifted such that now, people expect 500k-1 mil sales to be considered a success. Those numbers just won't happen for every game. Some games will be more popular/mainstream than others.

The real advantage at the end of the day for the DS is to scale back to the economics to where developers would be comfortable making small, fun titles and be satisfied with 20k, 50k, 100k in sales.

Naturally, you can argue that not all of these small scale titles will be very good. And that's true. But the law of averages tend to break in favour of a giant hit every few titles. The PSone had a lot of bad games as well, but so many games were being made for it, it got its hits anyways, even when Sony didn't have a strong internal team to support the console.

The recent surge of DS successes in terms of software, especially this Brain Training thing, is a testament to that. And to be quite honest, no one here on GAF knew what the heck it was or cared until it started to pull those insane sales numbers week after week.

Its still too early to count out the PSP. None of the big titles are coming out for it and even 30k sales for DS is still low. Its the summer. If by the end of the year, sales aren't good for PSP, then DS fanboys can start pinning 'failed' labels on PSP.

Deku

Banned
No one's counting out the PSP, rather affirming that the DS wasn't dead in the water as many proclaimed last year, or that its business model was bound to fail. Of course, most of the characters who were at the forefront of the doom and gloom probably won't admit to it now or tell half truths and pretend to be only half wrong, but dig up an old thread and all the innuendo against the DS and troll posts that went unchecked becaused we had a couple of DS hating mods would be enough to fill a 10 page thread.

heavenly

Looking at what game sales bring in now for these handhelds compared to the likes of Mario & Wario DS, which I think are bordering 700K, is a major accomplishment. Granted they were launch games and had the help of the holiday season. Still, that's alot of sales for a handheld game. Nintendogs sales impresses me too since it was launch during a non-holiday period, and it's a new IP.

The real advantage at the end of the day for the DS is to scale back to the economics to where developers would be comfortable making small, fun titles and be satisfied with 20k, 50k, 100k in sales.

That's what I think Nintendo is trying to accomplish. Granted those titles were created by a one or two man teams compared to teams of today. I would still like to see 3rd parties (not just the major, but minor too) pull in numbers comparable to what Nintendo brings in on the handheld side. And I know that will be difficult based on past recent platforms stats.

Since the first generation of games for a new system are used to build the fanbase, I think
Nintendo from here on out should space out their releases, especially during the holidays to give 3rd parties a chance to rake in the profit. Nintendo will always get theirs no matter what.

Firest0rm

heavenly said:
That's what I think Nintendo is trying to accomplish. Granted those titles were created by a one or two man teams compared to teams of today. I would still like to see 3rd parties (not just the major, but minor too) pull in numbers comparable to what Nintendo brings in on the handheld side. And I know that will be difficult based on past recent platforms stats.

Since the first generation of games for a new system are used to build the fanbase, I think
Nintendo from here on out should space out their releases, especially during the holidays to give 3rd parties a chance to rake in the profit. Nintendo will always get theirs no matter what.

I was thinking about that today, Nintendo should try and give holidays to 3rd parties. They know their games are gonna sell no matter what.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I just always love how Johnnyram and CVXFREAK post all their data - and in more detail - here than on Game Science. It's fun.

But I like Game Science too, I'm just commenting.

No one's counting out the PSP

I know. I'm just throwing that up before the flood of DS fanboys rush and scream:

PSP IS DEAD
PSP IS DEAD
PSP IS DEAD

PSP is dead to me to right now though. Until another good game comes out (Here's hoping MC3 is tight). PSP might be a big hit in the US but moderate in Japan. Who knows about Pal-land.

cvxfreak

John Harker said:
I just always love how Johnnyram and CVXFREAK post all their data - and in more detail - here than on Game Science. It's fun.

But I like Game Science too, I'm just commenting.

Game-Science really doesn't do editorials. We just post the data and let people do stuff from there.

Speaking of GS... jonnyram, I think we really need to get back on it. News just has been so slow lately.

AniHawk

The Experiment said:
I know. I'm just throwing that up before the flood of DS fanboys rush and scream:

PSP IS DEAD
PSP IS DEAD
PSP IS DEAD

Yeah, that's what I've been trying to-

The Experiment said:
PSP is dead to me to right now though.

Until another good game comes out (Here's hoping MC3 is tight). PSP might be a big hit in the US but moderate in Japan. Who knows about Pal-land.

Europe is SonyLand. Besides NoE has never done anything right in 4 generations of hardware.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
CVXFREAK
"Game-Science really doesn't do editorials. We just post the data and let people do stuff from there.

Speaking of GS... jonnyram, I think we really need to get back on it. News just has been so slow lately."

Actually, I think thats how I found myself here.

Awhile back, I used to always go to GS for my sales data, every week. Several times.
And then once, you had a story there and was linked to here.

And here I've been since.
Wild.

The Experiment said:

PSP IS DEAD
PSP IS DEAD
PSP IS DEAD
Oh just hush it up, this is a kind of post I would have rather seen more of back when the DS was doing these PSP numbers. I don't see a flood of photoshops, bomba jokes, marketshare freakout graphs, and over all ridiculous comments. Yes, a few posters here do seem to celebrate, it's not as bad as what duckroll and company chose to do back then. :lol

If anything the sales threads are pretty boring at the moment, I really only keep checking them to see how software does.

AniHawk

I remember Jonnyram and CVXFREAK before Game-Science.

Before the fame, the fortune, the drugs, the alcohol... the yelling and screaming...

Bebpo

Banned
I say we have seperate threads for weekly software and hardware in Japan. I remember when the weekly charts used to bring discussion and hilarious laughing at games bombing; but now every weekly thread just degrades into PSP/DS.

Maybe we should just take it a step further and seperate all handheld discussion from console discussion so those of us who don't care whose winning the handheld war can maintain threads.

Speevy

Banned
Maybe we should just take it a step further and seperate all handheld discussion from console discussion so those of us who don't care whose winning the handheld war can maintain threads.

Or a whole forum dedicated to sales, financials, specs, and other performance-related measures, and the other one for games.

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
I say we have seperate threads for weekly software and hardware in Japan. I remember when the weekly charts used to bring discussion and hilarious laughing at games bombing; but now every weekly thread just degrades into PSP/DS.
Damage control! :lol
I don't think that would really help matters. I mean we don't have hardware figures yet and it's still PSP vs DS. I just don't think there's much else to talk about when it comes to sales. If there is something else on your mind, like how stupid it was for every company under the sun to release an SRPG at the same time, then talk about it and people will follow. Don't just criticise what we're talking about without offering an alternative :p

Bebpo said:

^ seems to me if the PSP was kicking ass no one would be saying this

now that the DS is hitting it... handhelds don't matter no more :lol

duckroll

Smiles and Cries said:

Hey there're still sad PSP fans like me that believe in the revival of the great empire of Sony one day! I will lie in wait until the day that was prophecized comes! Until then I'll just be sad everytime we have sales discussions. :(

Bebpo

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:

Well to be fair, when the PSP was winning we got hilarious photoshops and jokes. With the DS in the lead it's just boring stastical predictions and stuff no one cares about.

I read threads to be entertained along with gaining factual info, lately the weekly sales threads have been failing in this aspect.

Top Bottom