• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Charts: Media Create 31 Oct - 6 Nov

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Heian-kyo said:
**sigh**

I like how this thread has now conclusively proven that in the 'true business world', revenue means nothing.

CAPITILISM BE DAMNED!!

I give up, I'm taking Wario's route from now on. DS > PSP.

/thread
is not that revenue means nothing, is that you are spinning all this in favor of Sony I'm sure as hell that if the DS would've been getting stomped by the PSP you wouldn't have used the "revenue spin" to explain that.

not only that looking by your post history you rarely say anything positive about the DS so why bother?

Jonnyram

Heian-kyo said:
I like how this thread has now conclusively proven that in the 'true business world', revenue means nothing.
You implied it's more important than profit. Noone said it means nothing.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Heian-kyo said:
The PSP pulls in more revenue than the DS every week as it's almost twice the price, so I'm sure Sony is still happy with its performance. The only worry would be a larger DS install base getting key TP support that Sony relies on.

Stop trying so hard; we know you like the PSP, and we know you don't like the DS. We don't need reassurance on those facts in every one of your posts.

CoolTrick

Banned
The funny thing about him trying to spin that the PSP gets more revenue is that CLEARLY the DS has been more profitable for Nintendo.

CoolTrick said:
The funny thing about him trying to spin that the PSP gets more revenue is that CLEARLY the DS has been more profitable for Nintendo.

Which is why the Giga Pack is here. How in the world would pay $300 for a handheld?

Heian-kyo said:
The PSP pulls in more revenue than the DS every week as it's almost twice the price, so I'm sure Sony is still happy with its performance. The only worry would be a larger DS install base getting key TP support that Sony relies on.

They really just need to throw $20 million Square Enix's way and get them to make a full fledged DQ for the PSP. Japan = owned.

not excalty true considering the psp is still making a lose due to its cost of production. ds is making a killing in profit casue its cheaper to prduce and selling liek hot cakes over there.

ThunderEmperor said:
not excalty true considering the psp is still making a lose due to its cost of production. ds is making a killing in profit casue its cheaper to prduce and selling liek hot cakes over there.

They were going to shift some PSP production to China in order to save some production costs. Has that happened yet? The PSP should start to approach profitability whenever this occurs, along with the usual internal revisions and streamlining of the hardware that occur with continued production (ala the PS2).

Monk

Banned
DCharlie said:
tell that to Ken, the poor bastard has to EAT his way through that revenue every time he has to go out of the building ... i mean, physically EAT...

actually, that might explain where he gets those super muscular cheek jawls of his.

"Oh these? *strokes cheeks* When i work out - i get through about 550 pounds every couple of minutes!"
"Wow - that's amazing Ken... no wonder you have a beefcake and buff face.... 550 lbs? "
"sorry... no ... pounds _sterling_... the 50p bits are a bit sharp on the way down though..."

Don't you mean profit or is this meant to be a joke as in why Sony goes into the RED at times, Ken eats the gross revenue... I think I should shut up now.

gconsole

Price of a DS in Japan: 14,799¥
Price of a PSP in Japan: 24,999¥

DS: 48,520 x 14,799¥ = 718,047,480¥
PSP: 29,395 x 24,999¥ = 734,845,605¥

Amount of more revenue PSP brought in this past week: 16,798,125¥

Do the math next time.

hmm, How much PSP cost each ? compare to DS , I think DS cost a freakin lot cheaper because it use lower technology than PSP even for it's screen or cpu.

Alcibiades said:
This reminds for of a couple of years ago, that for some reason (I forgot), XBots started calculating revenues...

:lol
November 2003, the $99 (and $79 at Wal-Mart Black Friday) GameCube sold about 50% more units than the $149 Xbox.

Beowvlf

Banned
Jonnyram said:
You implied it's more important than profit. Noone said it means nothing.
No I didn't, I never said any such thing. I merely stated that PSP is bringing in more revenue per week for Sony than the DS is per week for Nintendo. I then stated that I'm sure Sony is quite happy with this, because the two companies operate on a completely different business model. Is the DS bringing in more profit than the PSP? I'm sure of it.

But who the fuck is talking about profits? I never was; it was the legion of DS fans who brought it up as a means to counter my revenue statement. I never implied that the PSP was doing better overall than the DS except in the avenue of revenue, which is an unequivocal fact. Can nothing positive be said about the PSP's numbers in Japan, so as to be swamped by rabid DS fans downplaying any such success?

IMHO, the only good thing to use the revenue number for is to demonstrate that there is a decent market for the PSP. I've never liked the straight-up comparison with the DS in sales becuase the DS is a lto cheaper.

(Likewise, I've never liked comparing the DS's abilities with the PSP, becuase the PSP is more expensive.)

However, more sales theoretically means more support, no matter what the cost (or profit, ot revenue).

Software publishers care about *their* revenue, and at $40-$50 a pop, it's probably pretty good.

Sunski

I just made some crap up -

Jim the Farmer grows his own flowers. With the cost of upkeep each flower costs $8 to produce. Jim prices his up on the market at $10.

Barney the Farmer buys his flower stock in. He buys them in at a cost of $15 per flower. Barney wants to keep in touch with Jim, so sells his at $13.

In one week, Jim sells 10,000 flowers and Barney sells 8,000.

REVENUE -
JIM $100,000
BARNEY $104,000

PROFIT -
JIM +$20,000
BARNEY -$16,000

Of course Barney was SOOOOOO happy with his revenue. His revenue was so important it meant that he had to close 2 potato growing divisions that Autumn.

And no I am not drunk.

P90

Alcibiades said:
This reminds for of a couple of years ago, that for some reason (I forgot), XBots started calculating revenues...

Exactly.

PSP is doing well, but still getting stomped by the DS. What could be plainer?

Xellotah

P90 said:
Exactly.

Yes, except the PSP is more expensive ... so in some ways it is not a fair comparision. Now if the PSP and DS were the same price however...

P90 said:
Exactly.

Truth.

Oh, the farmer analogy only works if you figure that Farmer Barney has tons of capital and leverage, is selling better flowers, and is planning on establishing enough of a mrket presence that as his costs drop to $8 per flower, he can still charge $11 or $12 at huge volumes, since his flowers are a household name.

Sony plays this game for the lonh haul. They lost mony on *every* system launch, and yet I'd be personally very excited to have a fraction of their profits over the whole generation. Yes, it's a gamble, but gamble get's up very powerful and exciting new systems.

Kroole

Xellotah said:
Yes, except the PSP is more expensive ... so in some ways it is not a fair comparision. Now if the PSP and DS were the same price however...

Not to be rude but.. So?
Sony chose to have it that way and obviously atm it isn't paying off i Japan.

P90

Xellotah said:

So then a PS2 to GC comparison is not fair because they aren't the same price? You can't have it both ways.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The notes.
Sales of the top 100 titles totaled 591,538 units, 88.19% of last week's total and 78.94% of the weekly average.

Fifteen new releases took spots in the top 100, accounting for 40.31% of sales. Top-ranked "Daito Giken Official Pachinko Slot Simulator: Osu! Bancho" sold approximately 96,000 units. In terms of pachinko slot machine titles launched in 2005, the game's sales performance followed that of "Pachinko Slot! Fist of the North Star Plus" (approximately 165,000 units) and "Pachinko Slot! Onimusha 3" (approximately 106,000 units). Actual pachinko slot machines at pachinko parlors continue to be popular, and as with the company's previous title "Daito Giken Official Pachinko Slot Simulator Yoshimune," this title will likely see strong sales over a long period.

Third-ranked "Beat Down: Fists of Vengeance (PS2 Edition)" had an absorption rate of above 90% despite being a new title, and was a bigger hit than expected. It appears that the combination of a number of factors including the brand strength of Capcom, which is well-established in ACT, and the world view of the game bearing a close resemblance to that of the "Grand Theft Auto" series led to an unexpected public response.

..pakbeka.. said:
Oh, typical gaffer:
"the revenue the company I like gets every week is more important than the games they release"

It really begs the question of why people (including me) are interested in sales whatsoever.

mj1108

Ignatz Mouse said:
It really begs the question of why people (including me) are interested in sales whatsoever.

They're insecure tards (Ntards, Sonytards, Microtards) who feel the need to justify their purchase because they can't afford to own both/all three. Basically it makes them feel as though they've made the right choice in purchasing "Z System" instead of "Y System".

Heian-kyo said:
No I didn't, I never said any such thing. I merely stated that PSP is bringing in more revenue per week for Sony than the DS is per week for Nintendo. I then stated that I'm sure Sony is quite happy with this, because the two companies operate on a completely different business model. Is the DS bringing in more profit than the PSP? I'm sure of it.

But who the fuck is talking about profits? I never was; it was the legion of DS fans who brought it up as a means to counter my revenue statement. I never implied that the PSP was doing better overall than the DS except in the avenue of revenue, which is an unequivocal fact. Can nothing positive be said about the PSP's numbers in Japan, so as to be swamped by rabid DS fans downplaying any such success?
It's just... looking at only the revenue and ignoring the costs seems pretty meaningless. Like Xbox beating out GBASP in terms of cubic meters.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
JoshuaJSlone said:
It's just... looking at only the revenue and ignoring the costs seems pretty meaningless. Like Xbox beating out GBASP in terms of cubic meters.
Well, I think you could've found a better example, but you're right. Profit and market share matter a lot more then revenue, and the DS is giving Nintendo both over the PSP in Japan. Juat trying to find something that the PSP might be doing better for the sake of justifying the way it's peforming doesn't change anything.

Pellham

Banned
Heian-kyo said:

You already got owned on the revenue figures when it was pointed out that the PSP actually sells for 19800 yen, not 24900 yen.

So yes, nothing positive can be said about the PSP's numbers in Japan, unless you compare them to the XBox or Neo Geo Pocket Color or Wonderswan.

Pellham said:
So yes, nothing positive can be said about the PSP's numbers in Japan, unless you compare them to the XBox or Neo Geo Pocket Color or Wonderswan.
Nothing is going a bit far, methinks. Not exactly great for the company hoping to shake up the portable market with its pricier high tech option, but I'm sure Nintendo would've loved it if GameCube had consistently been topping 20K a week.

Beowvlf

Banned
Pellham said:
You already got owned on the revenue figures when it was pointed out that the PSP actually sells for 19800 yen, not 24900 yen.
19,800¥ is the price of the Core pack, which many GAFfer's have confirmed is next to impossible to find, as stores are only carrying the Value packs now. Supposedly the only place to find a Core pack now in Japan is online, but even then it's tough.

Thus, the price of the vast majority of PSP's on store shelves in Japan really is 24,999¥.

jarrod

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Nothing is going a bit far, methinks. Not exactly great for the company hoping to shake up the portable market with its pricier high tech option, but I'm sure Nintendo would've loved it if GameCube had consistently been topping 20K a week.
It was for awhile as well. Let's wait and see what PSP does in year 2. ;)

puck1337

Fuzzy said:
The notes.
Whoa - are they saying that it sold well in Japan because it has a resemblance to GTA? I know that the GTA games have a fan base out there, but it's great that the series might be broadening their market [no, I am not advocating that they go "Western" and start buying every shitty FPS that is released].

Link

The Autumn Wind
Heian-kyo said:

I find it amazing that you're trying to paint yourself as the victim here. You used a completely stupid argument to try to spin things the way you want to see them and got called out on it. Sit down now because you just keep making it worse with every reply.

monkeyrun

Sunski said:
I just made some crap up -

Jim the Farmer grows his own flowers. With the cost of upkeep each flower costs $8 to produce. Jim prices his up on the market at $10.

Barney the Farmer buys his flower stock in. He buys them in at a cost of $15 per flower. Barney wants to keep in touch with Jim, so sells his at $13.

In one week, Jim sells 10,000 flowers and Barney sells 8,000.

REVENUE -
JIM $100,000
BARNEY $104,000

PROFIT -
JIM +$20,000
BARNEY -$16,000

Of course Barney was SOOOOOO happy with his revenue. His revenue was so important it meant that he had to close 2 potato growing divisions that Autumn.

And no I am not drunk.

it's like math when I was 6.

jarrod said:
It was for awhile as well. Let's wait and see what PSP does in year 2. ;)
Nah. In its first few years GameCube was hitting a bit above 1 million each year, which would average to about 20K a week, but that's ignoring the fact that November-January are much higher than the average week. Outside of holidays (Easter wasn't invented yet), it seemed a pretty big deal when a game like RE or Tales would push it to around 30K.

cvxfreak

The GameCube is pretty much on Nintendo's backradar now. With it going open price, Nintendo will never formally drop its price below 14000 Yen - which is a shame because US gamers have been getting a better deal for a long time. I'm wondering just how much it'll do over the holidays.

Top Bottom