• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 4-10 April

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I think it's obvious why the DS is down to 30K again, everyone is waiting for the pink and blue DS'. :)

Odnetnin

Banned
I'm going to go on a limb and say that PSP sales were probably inflated by importers getting the console. Now that its out in the US, demand = fallen = the real impact of PSP on the handheld scene is being revealed.

Houston. We have a problem.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Bebpo said:
So what happens when the PSP and DS numbers drop below 15-20k? GBA SP isn't going back up and GBA is only surviving at an xbox level. Is the handheld market, which has been one of the largest markets for the past years, just going to die in Japan?

The handheld market is DS+PSP. Not DS OR PSP. There's still a lot of portable hardware being sold weekly. Its just split.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
GDJustin said:
The handheld market is DS+PSP. Not DS OR PSP. There's still a lot of portable hardware being sold weekly. Its just split.
I thought DS was the 3rd pillar though? </nintendo bullshiting everyone>

Speevy

Banned
Odnetnin said:
I'm going to go on a limb and say that PSP sales were probably inflated by importers getting the console. Now that its out in the US, demand = fallen = the real impact of PSP on the handheld scene is being revealed.

Houston. We have a problem.

That's not a limb. It's a twig.

Fuzzy said:
PS2 - 37,870
DS - 30,028
PSP - 28,848
GBASP - 13,693
GC - 3,406
GBA - 347
Xbox - 31543

It appears that contrary to what many people on this board believe DS is doing great in Japan. It's a battle that will go back and forth but both handhelds will be successful.

Odnetnin

Banned
Culex said:
Don't you mean semantics? I don't think pedantics, at least in that form, is a word.

you could be right

but pendantic

Synonyms: pedantic, academic, bookish, donnish, scholastic
These adjectives mean marked by a narrow, often tiresome focus on or display of learning and especially its trivial aspects: a pedantic writing style; an academic insistence on precision; a bookish vocabulary; donnish refinement of speech; scholastic and excessively subtle reasoning

while semantic

se·man·tic Audio pronunciation of "semantic" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (s-mntk) also se·man·ti·cal (-t-kl)
adj.

1. Of or relating to meaning, especially meaning in language.
2. Of, relating to, or according to the science of semantics.

Speevy

Banned
My vocabulary hardly carries any of those characteristics, nor do I care about your mastery of the English language. I'm just saying that there's not a problem with PSP sales. Just a slow week.

Culex

Banned
human5892 said:
What the PSP needs is more colors.

And I say that only half in jest.

A pure cobalt blue PSP, sans the game advertising (like the white GT4 model) would be really hot.

cvxfreak

Things will only get more interesting.

Let's not forget about Naruto 3 DS which should also help out the colored DS systems.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
sales + charts :

Talk about the bomba? well not quite but...

Gundam : 1 year war - 2980 yen in Traders already
3980 yen everywhere else! :)
Down that much after 1 week ? Ouch.

Thanks Namco for pressing too many copies... ;)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
captainbiotch said:
Nintendogs will not be the second coming of pokemon. Nor a DS savior. My thoughts anyway.

Because looking at sales data, we can see that the ds needs a saviour.

nintendogs will sell buckets. not pokemon sized buckets, smaller buckets.

DCharlie

"Nor a DS savior"

yeah, they need something spectacular to get them out of this awful "being in first place in installed userbase" slump.

why aren't people suggesting the PSP needs a saviour? it's getting spanked by a technically weaker machine that apparently no one wants.

GaimeGuy

DCharlie said:
"Nor a DS savior"

yeah, they need something spectacular to get them out of this awful "being in first place in installed userbase" slump.

why aren't people suggesting the PSP needs a saviour? it's getting spanked by a technically weaker machine that apparently no one wants.

Because it is a sin against what is written in the Hiran to speak ill of Sony

Yay for the DS! I wish the lead was a little bit more, but ah.. what can ya do? ;)

The DS savior = Super Mario Bros. sidescroller + Animal Crossing + Mario Kart. BAM!

mj1108

DCharlie said:
"Nor a DS savior"

Don't worry, someone will come along and do damage control for Sony soon enough. Let's see...now that we're done with Easter, what other holidays can we blame it on?

GaimeGuy

mj1108 said:
Don't worry, someone will come along and do damage control for Sony soon enough. Let's see...now that we're done with Easter, what other holidays can we blame it on?
Passover is coming up in a few weeks. :D :lol

DCharlie

the weird thing is - the holiday season is only a boon for Nintendo!
Isn't that weird ?

Did all the PSPs get pulled from the shelf ?
Maybe only Nintendo fans got Easter off ? ;)

Golden week is coming up from the 29th April, so we'll see what happens when we have a proper holiday.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the ds's "lead" this week is probably within the chart's margin of error. well, they don't provide a margin of error. but it's probably within the variance from one publication's chart to another publication's. so it's meaningless and unworthy of discussion. not that this is likely to stop you.

ds sales are still probably reaping some marginal benefit from the new colors. psp sales seem to have fallen off from their steady ~40k/week. is this generally a slow period of the year for sales?

AniHawk

drohne said:
the ds's "lead" this week is probably within the chart's margin of error. well, they don't provide a margin of error. but it's probably within the variance from one publication's chart to another publication's. so it's meaningless and unworthy of discussion. not that this is likely to stop you.

ds sales are still probably reaping some marginal benefit from the new colors. psp sales seem to have fallen off from their steady ~40k/week. is this generally a slow period of the year for sales?

AniHawk said:
It's just hitting the slow part of the year. Bingo the Clowno on GameFAQs used to do weekly Dengeki updates in 2002, and around this time, there'd be fewer and fewer games at 10k or above.

So yeah.

And I think MC is the most accurate system out there.

Spike

DCharlie said:
hold on, what's going on with that Xbox sales figure?

It's one of three possible things:

- a mistake

- Sakaguchi's involvement on the Xbox360 just sold alot of Japanese people on the Xbox brand

- Japanese people finally figured out that Xboxes are far sturdier than PS2's for house building.

heidern

Days like these... said:
+1 for the margin of error damage control angle! :lol

And you think you've seen it all... :lol :lol :lol

You know what would be really Funny? If there was an error of 2000 for the DS, but 2000 undercounted. Then the DS lead would be over 3000. That would be funny.
:lol :lol :lol

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
hold on, what's going on with that Xbox sales figure?
It seems to be self multiplying (the number, not the XBox) it was only 315 on the other page :p

Anyway, so can we now safely proclaim that PS2 in 2005 >>> DS & PSP?
PSP outsold it for a month or two but not enough to catchup, and DS has been behind for the entire 2005 so far.

Odnetnin

Banned
Akia said:
OMG, I didn't even notice that. You sly devil.

the 43 got slipped in somehow. I think its good either way; the sales of both consoles are evening out and on par. I think the stickler here is the fact that according to GAF... PSP should have decimated that POS DS by now.

Such a shame that electroplankton bombed really really hard. Niche as it was.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Odnetnin said:
I think the stickler here is the fact that according to GAF... PSP should have decimated that POS DS by now.
How quickly we forget the portion of GAF who thought the PSP sales would never be higher than DS sales in any given week, some of whom went so far as to bet their forum access on it. :p

Let's not paint this as some unilateral GAF movement. I would have thought cooler heads would start to prevail by now.

heidern

Fafalada said:
Anyway, so can we now safely proclaim that PS2 in 2005 >>> DS & PSP?
PSP outsold it for a month or two but not enough to catchup, and DS has been behind for the entire 2005 so far.

Actually, handheld sales this week are over 60K with consoles only around 40K. Looks like Drinkys dream of a one console future is truly in doubt. The way things are going there will be a no-console future. A no-console No-line Nintendogs run game industry future.

Odnetnin

Banned
kaching said:
How quickly we forget the portion of GAF who thought the PSP sales would never be higher than DS sales in any given week, some of whom went so far as to bet their forum access on it. :p

Let's not paint this as some unilateral GAF movement. I would have thought cooler heads would start to prevail by now.

true. The sexiness of the PSP is undeniable. Anyone wants to bet that smiles and cries = broshnat?

The crazy thing is Nintendo has two more colors coming out this month along with Nintendogs.

I say they planned this little "Easter assualt" pretty well.

Oogami

Banned
Umm everyone in this forum do think that PSP will completely destroy the DS. And it is doing just that.

Look at how far the DS has dropped in sales compared to last week. PSP dropped only about 5k, while da sux has dropped about 13k. So it's for sure this week PSP will be back owning the DS again.

Not to mention DS has already pulled the different color trick already, which PSP hasn't yet. Not to mention PSP is about $100 more expensive than the DS, and yet still outpacing the DS again really soon. That's saying a lot.

And the NPD is showing PSP is destroying the DS already.

To One console and One portable future! :D

Doesn't Nintendo have two new colors and Nintendogs coming out on the 24th?

I'd expect a bigger surge for the DS than we've seen even in the past few weeks.

Speevy

Banned
Oogami said:
Umm everyone in this forum do think that PSP will completely destroy the DS. And it is doing just that.

Look at how far the DS has dropped in sales compared to last week. PSP dropped only about 5k, while da sux has dropped about 13k. So it's for sure this week PSP will be back owning the DS again.

Not to mention DS has already pulled the different color trick already, which PSP hasn't yet. Not to mention PSP is about $100 more expensive than the DS, and yet still outpacing the DS again really soon. That's saying a lot.

thumb_monkey.jpg

heidern

I think they're coming out the 21st. Also Naruto is coming out on that day too. Mainstream Anime license should help widen the appeal of the DS to the mainstream further. Also, the assault isn't just a short surge for Easter. Next month we have Gundam DS. The month after Goemon, Gyukaten Saiban and Advance Wars. Then later in the summer theres DQ Slime Mori Mori and Jump Superstars. After all that you'll have the Christmas quarter and you know Nintendo will own that with Pokemon, as well as Mario Kart and Animal Crossing, as well as Megaman EXE and probably FFIII remake.

cvxfreak

Oogami said:

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Oogami

Banned
Speevy said:

What, is my point invalid? The MUCH bigger dropoff for the DS than the PSP(this week both sales are pretty much equal already), when PSP still has the color trick, plus being $100 more expensive(so it has a bigger pricedrop margin), and word of mouth plus doing more than just games for the PSP, all signs point to a huge easy victory for the PSP, no?

One little surge then big dropoff 2 weeks later and then far behind in a month again isn't going to help the DS much.

cvxfreak

Oogami said:
What, is my point invalid? The MUCH bigger dropoff for the DS than the PSP(this week both sales are pretty much equal already), when PSP still has the color trick, plus being $100 more expensive(so it has a bigger pricedrop margin), and word of mouth plus doing more than just games for the PSP, all signs point to a huge easy victory for the PSP, no?

One little surge then big dropoff 2 weeks later and then far behind in a month again isn't going to help the DS much.

Your miscalculation is not taking Pokemon into account. It's going to happen, PSP will be outsold by a big margin that week and it's going to (re)widen the gap.

Top Bottom