• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Charts, Media Create 9/12-9/18

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Thanks for translating the chart since I had to run out because my brother locked his keys in his car at work.

1 PS2 Shin Sanghoku Musou 4 Moshouden (Koei) - 203,000 (NEW)
2 GBA Famicom Mini: Super Mario Brothers (Nintendo) - 187,000 (NEW)
3 NDS Tamagotchi (Bandai) - 150,000 (150,000)
4 PSP WE9 UE (Konami) - 107,000 (NEW)
5 GBA Super Robot Taisen J (Banpresto) - 95,000 (NEW)
6 NDS Gyakuten Saiban DS (Capcom) - 65,000 (NEW)
7 GBA Dr. Mario + Panel de Pon (Nintendo) - 53,000 (NEW)
8 NDS Brain Training (Nintendo) - 37,000 (552,000)
9 GBA Mario Tennis Advance (Nintendo) - 34,000 (NEW)
10 NDS Yawaraka Atamajuku (Nintendo) - 24,000 (491,000)

Hardware chart tomorrow. :)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Lol Good Results Again this week.... From what I can Tell...

1. Dunno PS2
2. Mario Bros GBA
3. Tamagotchi DS
4. Winning Eleven PSP
5. Dunno GBA
6. Phenoix Wright Ace Attorney DS
7. Dr Mario and Panel De Pon GBA
8. Brain Training DS
9. Mario Tennis Advance GBA
10. Gentle Brain Training DS

Above = Crap, but it'll do for now.

cvxfreak

Shin Sanghoku Musou 4 Moshouden - 203,000
Famicom Mini: Super Mario Brothers - 187,000
Tamagotchi - 150,000
WE9 UE - 107,000
Super Robot Taisen J - 95,000
Gyakuten Saiban DS: 65,000
Dr. Mario + Panel de Pon - 53,000
Brain Training - 37,000 / 552,000
Mario Tennis Advance - 34,000
Yawaraka Atamajuku - 24,000 / 491,000

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
And one of them is a PSP title that does'nt happen very Often.

Jonnyram

Hardware predictions:
GBmicro 175k
DS 60k
PSP 45k
PS2 30k
GBASP 10k

And I'm pretty sure those brain games are going to pass a million each sooner or later.

mutsu

Have to say this once again...

Tamagotchi > WE9UE

Surprised to see Gyakuten Saiban sell so well, considering it's a remake. Maybe a lot of people who hasn't played games before on the GBA is giving the game a try.

Man... how many Super Mario Bros Famicom mini version has been sold by now? 1.5 million or something!?

Akia

I didn't think that the Tamagochi game would sell so much. Its awesome that Phenoix Wright Ace Attorney sold well.

Izzy

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Hardware predictions:
GBmicro 175k
DS 60k
PSP 45k
PS2 30k
GBASP 10k

And I'm pretty sure those brain games are going to pass a million each sooner or later.

Are those your predictions, or semi-official estimates? Looks spot-on.

Speevy

Banned
One of the best selling sports franchises of all time was outsold by a 20 year old rerelease on a 5 year old handheld.

Japan is...so strange.

Jonnyram

mutsu said:
Surprised to see Gyakuten Saiban sell so well, considering it's a remake. Maybe a lot of people who hasn't played games before on the GBA is giving the game a try.
If there is any justice, this game will sell a lot more. Hopefully it can break 100k, at least. It's one of the best written games I've ever played, and the English translation is almost flawless.

argon

Jonnyram said:
If there is any justice, this game will sell a lot more. Hopefully it can break 100k, at least. It's one of the best written games I've ever played, and the English translation is almost flawless.

Does it make good use of the DS touchscreen, or is it more or less a straight port?

KINGMOKU

WTF is it with Super Mario brothers? Why doesn't Nintendo KEEP making 2-d Mario games? With the sales like this of a what, 20 year old game, THATS FUCKING 2-D, It only makes sense.

Holy hell. With the sales of Mario just going dumb-shit insane, they should re-package every single damn Mario game EVER made and re-release them, staggering them over a 6-month time period.

How much of these game sales are PURE profit as well? I mean, only the cost of the cart, and packaging is a factor.

I wonder how much, JUST Super Mario Brothers has made Nintendo in it's various forms. I would LOVE to see that number man.

polg

CVXFREAK said:

1 PS2 Shin Sanghoku Musou 4 Moshouden (???) - 203,000 (NEW)
3 NDS Tamagotchi (???) - 150,000 (150,000)
5 GBA Super Robot Taisen J (???) - 95,000 (NEW)

prettier formatting...

AniHawk

Speevy said:
One of the best selling sports franchises of all time was outsold by a 20 year old rerelease on a 5 year old handheld.

Japan is...so strange.

I would be more puzzled about Tamagotchi outselling WE9 than SMB, though that did come out of left field a bit.

KINGMOKU

CVXFREAK said:
Man, if these high micro figures are true, they'd be higher than PSP launch sales. :lol
You know what? I think I got it. Nintendo should just start releasing games, in the EXACT order that they did for the NES when it was released in Japan.

Japan goes nuts over retro games, so what could be a bigger hit, then repeating history as a whole? I mean, why the fuck not?

mutsu

Jonnyram said:
If there is any justice, this game will sell a lot more. Hopefully it can break 100k, at least. It's one of the best written games I've ever played

Agreed. That's why I've played all 3 in the series, and is dying for Capcom to make a completely new entry.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
150,000 for TAMAGOTCHI?! Where the hell did that come from?!
Hope Gyakuten Saiban DS has some legs, I've officially been convinced by GAF to pick it up once it gets over here. :D

puck1337

Nintendo must be shaking its collective heads at all territories right now. Their handhelds are absolutely ripping it up in Japan, and the DS just can't catch a break anywhere else.

Super Mario Brothers = CASH MONEY

mj1108

CVXFREAK said:
Brain Training - 37,000 / 552,000
Yawaraka Atamajuku - 24,000 / 491,000

Brain training continues.....

and on that chart 8 out of 10 are on Nintendo handhelds. Fuck.

polg said:
1 PS2 Shin Sanghoku Musou 4 Moshouden (???) - 203,000 (NEW)
3 NDS Tamagotchi (???) - 150,000 (150,000)
5 GBA Super Robot Taisen J (???) - 95,000 (NEW)

prettier formatting...
Shin Sanghoku Musou 4 Moshouden (Dynasty Warriors 5 Extreme) = Koei
Tamagotchi = Bandai
Super Robot Taisen J = Banpresto

polg

BorkBork said:
150,000 for TAMAGOTCHI?! Where the hell did that come from?!
Hope Gyakuten Saiban DS has some legs, I've officially been convinced by GAF to pick it up once it gets over here. :D

a friend's daughters had like 3 new generation tamagotchis each... they might be "back" or something.

and I'm considering getting Gyakuten Saiban as well :D

VerTiGo

Banned
LMAO. I guess the appeal of the original Super Mario Bros. WILL NEVER EVER diminish. :lol Hell, I'm also surprised Tamagotchi sold so well. However... this sucks. Crap like Tamagotchi sells when Castlevania bombs.

polg

The_lascar said:
Shin Sanghoku Musou 4 Moshouden (Dynasty Warriors 5 Extreme) = Koei
Tamagotchi = Bandai
Super Robot Taisen J = Banpresto

fixed!

Drakken

What is "Famicom Mini: Super Mario Brother" and how is it different from the NES Classic title of the same name that was released last year?

Calidor

polg said:

fixed!

shocking

Rock_Man

PSP WE9 UE (Konami) - 107,000

Not to bad. This is actually better than everything else on PSP.
First week sales:
Tales of Eternia - 81k
Minna no Golf Portable - 66k
Shin Sangoku Musou - 61k
Ridge Racers - 61k

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"not near as bad, sales wise, as people were predicting"

but still pretty so so given that it's a WE game.
Although, i guess it did sell to a fairly high percentage of the userbase

monkeyrun

PSP VS DS sounds more and more like GC VS PS2 in Japan.

currrently PSP still manages to get some small boost in sales with big releases, but soon enough the sales boost will become less and less.

heidern

Rock_Man said:
Position 9 and 16 are under the brain training that we know sells around 4k a day. Gyakuten Saiban probably sold around 6-8k in its third day. It didn´t bomb, but at least I expected more. On the other hand, I expected much more from WE.
heidern said:
Except that most games sell mostly on their first day. We've had Brain Training overtake games that debut over 100K for the week on the daily charts. The only way to truly judge new releases is on release day. And to be honest Winning Eleven and Gyakuten Saiban could be anywhere between 30-130K, you just can't tell except though guessing by looking at past performance.
Rock_Man said:
Games with sales of over 100k usually ranks higher than brain training for more than one day.
I like being right. :)

But anyway, pretty amazing week. Tamagotchi is now the 3rd fastest selling DS game ever in Japan. Also, it debuted behind Robot Wars but handily outsold it through the weekend. It must have averaged over 20K a day over Friday, Saturday and Sunday. This game is not a flash in the pan and should have the legs to even compete with JSS. Taking that into account as well as Brain Training jumping back up this week DS sales could be pushing 70-80K this week. WE9 did pretty damn good considering how soft the psp software market has been. However the legs are very much in question. Launch games like Mingol and Ridge Racers were guaranteed continued sales, WE9:UE will have a fight on its hands to even get to 200K before it disappears off the charts. Oh well, at least we can finally say the biggest psp game of the year so far isn't a psone port.

KINGMOKU

I know this will sound strange, but hear me out for a second.(All this relates ONLY TO JAPAN)

Could Sony, by releasing a handheld, and getting trounced by Nintendo, be, in a way, setting itself up for a losing effort with the PS3? My thinking goes like this;

Gamecube gets killed by PS2, gamers see Sony as king and keep buying products.

PSP gets killed by DS/Micro, gamers see Nintendo as king, keep buying products.

Couple that with the fact that the Revolution seems to be like a console version of the DS(By that I mean, new, and interesting) could the unthinkable happen, and we see a complete reversal in Japan?

I know this sounds wacky, but public image is a big deal, and the VERY public killing of the PS in Japan may lead the Revoltion/PS3 battle into the same direction. I KNOW this is COMPLETE conjecture, but hey, it's late, and I'm completly dumbfounded at the sales of Mario brothers.

Oh yeah, Mario brothers will be available for download on launch in Japan right?

I mean who would have thought that the DS would be just on cruise controll like this?

cvxfreak

monkeyrun said:
PSP VS DS sounds more and more like GC VS PS2 in Japan.

currrently PSP still manages to get some small boost in sales with big releases, but soon enough the sales boost will become less and less.

But then the DS gets boosts with new releases too. :D

Top Bottom