• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Charts: Media Create Weekly Sales (November 14 - 20)

cvxfreak

Yup, we can't forget Pokemon Diamond and Pearl which could carry the DS by themselves for like two months. I don't think Nintendo released any GBA titles after Ruby and Sapphire in Japan for 2002.

EDIT: They released a Kuru Kuru game on Dec. 6, but it was all Pokemon from then on out.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
CVXFREAK said:
DS Mario Kart DS 2005-12-08 4800 yen Nintendo
DS Mushiking: Road to the Greatest Champion 2005-12-08 5040 yen Sega

Well that should be an explosive day.

Brilliant idea to sell that on the same day, Sega.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Oblivion said:
Just like it was brillant of them to release Sonic Rush on the same day that Animal Crossing came out. :lol

AniHawk

Oblivion said:

Probably not THAT bad an idea. It's not like Mushiking's going to go completely ignored.

jj984jj said:
Just like it was brillant of them to release Sonic Rush on the same day that Animal Crossing came out. :lol

Sonic's never been really big in Japan. I think the last one that came close to 200,000 was SA2B.

Sonic Rush oughtta be a big hit in America though. I had a kid at the store ask for it and Shadow the Hedgehog, but we were out. Must've sold out on day one.

Oblivion

jj984jj said:

Two for two, eh?

Edit: Wait, Sonic isn't popular in Japan? When did this happen?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
PhoenixDark said:
I still think a Pokemon Brain Training title would really bring Japan down to its knees.
Japan would go to its knees, then flat on its back, then it would bend over forwards

Oblivion

AniHawk said:
Sega Genesis wasn't out in Japan. :)

Silence!

Also, I didn't think Sonic would be immensely popular, but thought people still cared enough to make decent sales. Japan did fairly well with Sonic Heroes didn't it?

AniHawk

Oblivion said:
Silence!

Also, I didn't think Sonic would be immensely popular, but thought people still cared enough to make decent sales. Japan did fairly well with Sonic Heroes didn't it?

Yeah, if you consider 30,000 "fairly well."

AniHawk

Oblivion said:
Wow, that bad? Guess Europe must have bought the rest.

I'll just go off to my corner now. :(

You do that.

This thread reminded me I've neglected Sega Sales threads. Maybe Sunday.

Oblivion

AniHawk said:
You do that.

This thread reminded me I've neglected Sega Sales threads. Maybe Sunday.

Well, then hop to it, boy-o! I'm not paying you to lolligag, you know.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
Yeah, if you consider 30,000 "fairly well."

I thought it was 25K for GC and PS2, and like 10K for Xbox, in their first week?

2003 was a cool year for game sales. I hope this year is like it again. Even years tend to suck for some reason.

cvxfreak

Latest Famitsu figures are in from last week, not this week.

One game that catches my eye on that chart every week is nintendogs. It's at 762K now. I wonder if it'll break a million, because it looks possible as the holidays move in.

Error2k4 said:
Handhelds: 140,450
Consoles: 26,906

whoa, Japan is handheld Land.
This week is unusually tilted towards the handhelds, but... yeah, very much. Year to date:

Handhelds: 4,721,093 (72.1%)
Consoles: 1,825,305 (27.9%)

Tabris

JoshuaJSlone said:
This week is unusually tilted towards the handhelds, but... yeah, very much. Year to date:

Handhelds: 4,721,093 (72.1%)
Consoles: 1,825,305 (27.9%)

Everyone owns a PS2. No one wants an XBox. Zelda hasn't been released yet on Gamecube. That covers lack of console hardware sales.

We're at the end of a generation for console. We're at the beginning of a generation for handhelds.

puck1337

Oblivion said:
I think they'll complement each other more than compete. It's not always zero-sum with software, especially when dealing with massively popular titles.

Tabris said:
I find this funny when a PS2 game is beating the best selling franchise Nintendo has.

You mean "Wow, talk about Nintendo handheld dominance"

Well, it isn't exactly the main series in the franchise, so it is kind of decieving to say that.

iifu

Neo Member
PhoenixDark said:
I still think a Pokemon Brain Training title would really bring Japan down to its knees.
I think it could happen. They should call it Pokémon Juku or Professor Oak's Brain Training Academy starring Pikachu. DS sales x infinitum.
Pokémon Sitter (a.k.a. Pokédogs) and a Gold/Silver remake using the Diamond/Pearl engine are also possible. What else could they come up with? Another Pokémon Pinball? Pokémon Paint maybe? The possibilities are endless!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Tabris said:
I find this funny when a PS2 game is beating the best selling franchise Nintendo has.

You mean "Wow, talk about Nintendo handheld dominance"
*rollseyes*

I dunno if you can arbitrarily mix franchises like that though.

Part of the appeal of Brain Training would seem to be that its more of a cerebral game without "fantasy" elements, something you can just pick up and play like a crossword puzzle or Tetris.

Putting Pokemon characters into the game might turn off some of the older people buying Brain Training.

cvxfreak

soundwave05 said:
Putting Pokemon characters into the game might turn off some of the older people buying Brain Training.

And bring in the younger crowds. Variety rules.

BTW, this is my 10,000th post. :D

Top Bottom