• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan: Destiny 2 underperforms, 60%+ drop from D1

From the MC thread:

01./00. [PS4] Destiny 2 <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.09.06} (¥7.900) - 50.263 / NEW

In comparison:
[PS4] Destiny (SCE, 09/11/14) – 91,277 (New)
[PS3] Destiny (SCE, 09/11/14) – 49,503 (New)

Seems that the UK was not the only market that wasn't enamored with D2 at retail versus the original installment.

Nibel

Are digital numbers included? All my friends prefer to have D2 on their console all the time
smugbidenfuk8w.png

Maybe Japanese players prefer to play on PC instead
smugbidenfuk8w.png

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Expected....that PS360+PS4/XBO window was a magic time for many releases.

Are digital numbers included? All my friends prefer to have D2 on their console all the time
smugbidenfuk8w.png

Maybe Japanese players prefer to play on PC instead
smugbidenfuk8w.png

Hah....damn.

oti

Banned
The fact that Activision haven't issued a "DESTINY 2 HAS BROKEN RECORDS" announcement speaks for itself..

That's a big drop, wonder what the reason is?

I'm guessing that for many players, Destiny 1 ended up being something not worth buying day 1. Lesson learned.

I am in total wait and see mode with this one. I had fun with the first, but see no reason to buy 2 right now. Especially when there are just so damn many good new games to play this year.

I'm guessing that for many players, Destiny 1 ended up being something not worth buying day 1. Lesson learned.

I am in total wait and see mode with this one. I had fun with the first, but see no reason to buy 2 right now. Especially when there are just so damn many good new games to play this year.

I think the beta also had a negative effect. No loot, mostly same enemies from Destiny 1, strike wasn't anything spectacular, very slow charges on all abilities and supers. PVP was much improved in my opinion from D1, but I think it is a fact the majority of Destiny players play for PvE.

El_Cinefilo

I don't see why anybody should be surprised Destinty 2 sold less. There was a massive amount of hype around the first one and a lot of people (especially casuals) were disappointed by the grind and lack of story. They were expecting a Halo successor which it was not. Now people know what it is I think it's got a more niche appeal.

The people who like it love it and it was always going to sell well but I don't think it's ever going to get that mainstream interest that it had before the first one launched again.

Edit: I'm saying that from my perspective in the UK. I've no idea how the original was received in Japan)

The &#3670;&#1756;Bronx;248826647 said:
Yeh, 1.2m concurrent players is bombing. It may be selling less relative to the first but you're either misinformed or just shit posting to bait people when you claim it's bombing.

How much did Destiny 1 sell? Did we ever get numbers?

Destiny 1 to Destiny 2 retail only sales comparison:

JP
all platforms: 64.3% drop
Ps4 only: 45% drop

UK
all platforms: 58% drop
current gen only: 48.8%

How much did Destiny 1 sell? Did we ever get numbers?
$500m day one sold in
$325m first 5 days sold through
100 million hours of online play were logged across 137 million activities in the first 5 days

Auctopus

A lot of people were missold Destiny 1, it really ended up being something that it wasn't marketed to be. Those people know better this time.

Hell, even Destiny 2 was technically mis-marketed - a good chunk of the game is raiding, loot-dropping etc. It's only because veteran fans knew what they were getting that the overly cinematic/story-heavy marketing isn't paid any mind.

A lot of people were missold Destiny 1, it really ended up being something that it wasn't marketed to be. Those people know better this time.

Hell, even Destiny 2 was technically mis-marketed - a good chunk of the game is raiding, loot-dropping etc. It's only because veteran fans knew what they were getting that the overly cinematic/story-heavy marketing isn't paid any mind.

Well, yeah. Did anyone really not expect this?

lyrick

what you on about

If you've ever been in a MC thread, titles like FFXV sat below 1M sales for a long time, but whenever brought up a certain subset of users added a footnote of above 1M with arbitrarily assumed digital sales.

I think the beta also had a negative effect. No loot, mostly same enemies from Destiny 1, strike wasn't anything spectacular, very slow charges on all abilities and supers. PVP was much improved in my opinion from D1, but I think it is a fact the majority of Destiny players play for PvE.

True. The beta was pretty forgettable and I wasn't too hot on the new weapon system. And I also play exclusively for PvE.

Auctopus

But Bungie never sold D2 as "no longer an end-game loot hunting game" as you asserted. I mean the very first trailer has an in game character screaming about SO MUCH LOOT.

No....

But the marketing is very heavily focused on the story and the world rather than the actual activities that take up the majority of the end-game. As I said, veteran fans know this time but people who did not enjoy the way the first game went also know this - hence them not purchasing it.

Also, that Cayde-6 line is about as far as it goes. When I talk about marketing, I'm talking about Youtube/TV spots that the casual gamer who bought the first game will see.

So same as EU, and most likely NA as well.

Is it really surprising though? D1 was hyped up to be the next big thing, turned out it wasn't. After time it became a good game with a strong community, but the people that were not sold at all after playing the first are not gonna dip on the second day 1 either. Not to mention loosing two whole platforms.

Yeah I'm not surprised at this at all. September NPD will be veeeeeeeeery interesting indeed, there's no question Destiny 2 has had a successful launch especially once digital is factored in, which is important but does not significantly change the point of these threads, it just is looking like how the first game was handled has burned people and they didn't trust that their issues would be fixed in the sequel. If there's a similar drop in America well then as has been pointed out I hope you like lootboxes...

Hari Seldon

Count me as one of the people who bought the first one and bailed on this. Maybe I'll pick up a heavily discounted PC version with lots of DLC in a few years. But grinding for diddle-de-doos to max my light level? Aint no one got time for that.

Count me as one of the people who bought the first one and bailed on this. Maybe I'll pick up a heavily discounted PC version with lots of DLC in a few years. But grinding for diddle-de-doos to max my light level? Aint no one got time for that.

Does that mean you don't have time for most RPGs?

I don't see why anybody should be surprised Destinty 2 sold less. There was a massive amount of hype around the first one and a lot of people (especially casuals) were disappointed by the grind and lack of story. They were expecting a Halo successor which it was not. Now people know what it is I think it's got a more niche appeal.

The people who like it love it and it was always going to sell well but I don't think it's ever going to get that mainstream interest that it had before the first one launched again.

Edit: I'm saying that from my perspective in the UK. I've no idea how the original was received in Japan)

This post is on the money.
Game will still make bank but growth prospects maybe stagnating.

I dunno how much word of mouth can counter balance the drop.

Top Bottom