• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan: Destiny 2 underperforms, 60%+ drop from D1

ShdwDrake

Banned
Can't say I've had that issue. Public events are always packed for me.

It's cool at least I don't have an issue leveling. I guess I just get lucky drops. I'm at 287 and tbh I don't really feel like I grinded hard for it and I hat grinding (which is why I didn't play D1. Gotta grind your gun perks wtf).

Is a reason numbers keep dropping.

They have been out for a decade...and are still the biggest MMo's around, and the only paid ones....of course. Means nothing. To last that long, and still have a paid sub says it all , and it's not what you are saying.

i realize all your posts have something in common

they all point to you being clueless

Pretty much. Entire argument is basically " well those games suck because I say so , so they don;t count" lol.

It's really weird seeing the absolute glee people react with when a game doesn't do as well as (insert success metric here).

In multiple threads it seems like im shitting on Destiny,
honestly I don't remotely hate it and I love much about it...

I just really want Bungie to reevaluate it and be making the changes/additions that would take it to the next level.

How does this short animation back up your statement? :p
Just curious, I'd be interested to see how PUBG does in Japan.

Can't click that link cause at work, but here basically every streamer, youtuber, and casual game player has been on the PUBG train for months. No matter what their other "main" or genre was its a popular title.

Basically the only thing that stopped it for a minute was Dragon Quest XI, and even then people still tossed in some PUBG. Couple of the almost exclusive streamers of Destiny have of course gone back to D2.

Also Rainbow 6 Siege is weirdly popular here too.

How does this short animation back up your statement? :p
Just curious, I'd be interested to see how PUBG does in Japan.

Can't click that link cause at work, but here basically every streamer, youtuber, and casual game player has been on the PUBG train for months. No matter what their other "main" or genre was its a popular title.

Basically the only thing that stopped it for a minute was Dragon Quest XI, and even then people still tossed in some PUBG. Couple of the almost exclusive streamers of Destiny have of course gone back to D2.

Also Rainbow 6 Siege is weirdly popular here too.

It's in an anime opening which will be aired on national TV every week for 12 weeks or so.

Last time I checked, Japan is in the top 10 PUBG owners on Steamspy.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Blizzard games are known for their quality and polish, yes even Diablo 3. Bungie's IP of Destiny hasn't shown me much in being worthy to be published alongside Blizzard's mutliple franchises. It's either a token gesture from Blizzard or Activision pushing heavily for Destiny 2 to be only available through Battle.Net. And right now with prospects of Destiny 2 underperforming where every single other Blizzard title on that list has exceeded expectations, sorry to put a negative light on Bungie's incompetence.

Again, Destiny 2 should have never been on Battle.Net.

I think the reason it's on battle.net is obvious as hell, they don't want to give Valve 30%

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't know you were a Destiny fan

I put a good chunk of time into the first on PS3. It's got a certain appeal!

They've definitely got the tone right this time around. Before it felt like they didn't know which direction to take, but now it seems they've committed to full-on Guardians of the Galaxy silliness, which I can respect.

Haven't picked up 2 yet, but that live action trailer honestly makes me want to join the fun.

People are making memes about the Digital and PC versions, but these seem like pretty large factors in the overall sales with both platforms growing rapidly in recent years. Although I suspect most of the people who are actually concerned about this topic aren't going to change their mind no matter what numbers come up.

Pepboy

Exactly what I was thinking! This trailer tells it how it is.

Maybe Destiny 3 could have consumerable dances... and it all becomes a big grind for who can get the hottest dance moves for big dance competitions. PVP is judged by Twitch viewers

I think there's an interesting discussion to be had about Destiny seemingly launching strong, despite significant drops in certain markets, especially in the context of the first games continued success in terms of DLC and micro transaction sales.

Unfortunately, many posters' masturbatory need to shitpost about Destiny and some fans' reactive need to uncritically defend the game means we aren't likely to have that discussion here

Trup1aya

there was a zero percent chance that i would dive in on week 1 this time around. The game had a serious lack of content, that could only be remedied by spending money on over priced dlc.

I also didn't like how bungie withheld dlc content that xbox users pay for. Straight up disrespectful business practice.

The Wait and see approach was an easy decision this go around, especially since my friends were all doing the same.

I bet many are in the same boat

Pepboy

there was a zero percent chance that i would dive in on week 1 this time around. The game had a serious lack of content, that could only be remedied by spending money on over priced dlc.

I also didn't like how bungie withheld dlc content that xbox users pay for. Straight up disrespectful business practice.

The Wait and see approach was an easy decision this go around, especially since my friends were all doing the same.

I bet many are in the same boat

Yes this is where I'm at. The original seemed to have about $7 of content for me -- 2 hours of medium fun followed by 4-6 hours of tedium (edit: at which point I hit where the game forces you to replay boring levels that were already recycled locations to progress, so I quit). Here the story seems improved a bit, but a lot of enemies are recycled. So I'm holding out for at least $10, probably closer to $5 if I watch a stream ahead of time.

TwiztidElf

I've been saying this for a while now, and in many threads.
For me, it is about the business model. I bought D1 and loved it. Awesome stuff.

Then next time I wanted to jump in for a casual blast, no good, I had some super gimped version, and if I wanted to piss around I had to spend more money.
And that happened again.

D2 came. Nah, I'm good.

Is a reason numbers keep dropping.

So your whole games Destiny and MMOs like WoW are bad because Weekly lockouts.

You're utterly clueless

I think there's an interesting discussion to be had about Destiny seemingly launching strong, despite significant drops in certain markets, especially in the context of the first games continued success in terms of DLC and micro transaction sales.

Unfortunately, many posters' masturbatory need to shitpost about Destiny and some fans' reactive need to uncritically defend the game means we aren't likely to have that discussion here

Us "fans" are willing to entertain critiques of Destiny if many GAF posters can hold their hate boner over Destiny

But until then, we're gonna keep making fun of them

flkraven

So your whole games Destiny and MMOs like WoW are bad because Weekly lockouts.

You're utterly clueless

Us "fans" are willing to entertain critiques of Destiny if many GAF posters can hold their hate boner over Destiny

But until then, we're gonna keep making fun of them

Boners and masturbation. Why is everyone so excited?

Option-

Game already dropped to 50 Bucks here in Germany. Activison screwed up big league with their dlc model, microtransaction and dudebro marketing push on it.
Just let Bungie reincarnate the spiritual Halo successor and get out of the development!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ancidotal but because you had to get half the game digial anyways I know a ton of people who went physical for D1 but digital for D2.

I'm a person that usually buys physical, but my family went digital for this.

Ancidotal but because you had to get half the game digial anyways I know a ton of people who went physical for D1 but digital for D2.

I'm a person that usually buys physical, but my family went digital for this.

Look at just Xbox, Amazon didn't even sell physical copies. So many people I know bought digital just because of that. PS4 sure sold a lot more, but Xbox One still sold well I assume.

A genre that apparently Destiny can't carry itself if the underperformance from Japan and UK are any indicator, both countries also are havens for MMO playerbases.

My point being is that people putting faith in the PC crowd to pull up numbers is silly. Especially when Activision is clearly trying to attract the Blizzard playerbase into purchasing the new title. Blizzard already executes top-tier raiding environments in the industry. Not to mention most of the WoW players wanting to get into Destiny 2 are doing so for free due to the abilitiy to transfer WoW in-game currency to Battle.Net balance which can then be used on Battle.Net itself, which Destiny 2 is being hosted on.

They're not (an indicator). You basically have admitted you don't understand what genre Destiny is (hint it's a shooter). Shooters sell gangbusters digitally in the US. Destiny will too.

Strakt

Game already dropped to 50 Bucks here in Germany. Activison screwed up big league with their dlc model, microtransaction and dudebro marketing push on it.
Just let Bungie reincarnate the spiritual Halo successor and get out of the development!

How did they screw up when there were 1.2 million concurrent players last week?

Not to mention PC isn't even out yet. Everyone seems to be enjoying the game and reviews have been coming out lately and they've all mostly been anywhere from 80 - 100.

Top Bottom