• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Don't Care: New Pokemon Film Debuts to Franchise Low

The Mythics not being tied into Gen 6 at all with an in-game event might have something to do with it. They're just... given away.

Pizza

XY are pretty good from what I hear.

I've actually seen a fair bit of it! It's a fine kid's show tbh, and it's much better than other recent Pokemon series.

I'm just done with ash constantly soft rebooting his character and the anime universe in general. Origins was much more what I'd personally like. Tbh it'd be fucking FLAWLESS if we got something between origins and detective pikachu/ash Pokemon. What happens if one Charizard finds a library and gets fascinated with books and learns to speak?

Like, meowth and Sherlockchu can do it, I'd be really down with some weird blend of ideas into a new show

"Japan don't care" is hyperbolic. They have been releasing a Pokemon movie a year since 1999.

Just focusing on release dates disregards the possibility that people may actually dislike the latest film. After all, just because a series of movies is successful thus far, doesn't mean that it will always be continuously successful.

Wait so we got black and white cause Japan doesnt like character development
The fuck, Japan why..dp were so good snd if you jate xyz which is great then im done.
Anyway not really surprised since movie quality has been poor, they need a reboot after sun and moon for the entire anime universe.

Sandfox

Nah, Ash got the most development and maturation of any point in the series with XY and Japan's response has been negative to that. Replacing him would probably only exacerbate the problem. They're probably just gonna revert him to his original hot-headed idiot persona like they did in BW, which was much more warmly received over there.

I think you're reading too much into it. There has been decline every season and XY started off lower than the others coming of BW.

To be fair, that was at a time where YW was declining slightly and had reached its peak.

And the second YW movie still sold way better than this Pokemon film.

I don't see your point other than trying to needlessly argue.
And I never claimed otherwise.

Madao

Lol new Pokemon

You need gen 1 to bring in $$$$$$$$
Why else did they have you pick a gen 1 starter in X/Y ;)

hmmm

XY have been the lowest selling mainline pokemon games in japan.

gen 1 nostalgia is not gonna do shit for the games. the kind of people who get excited for gen 1 stuff don't buy the games or watch the anime. Nintendo has an uphill battle trying to convince that group to actually buy the current stuff.

Ash actually had character development? And they didn't like it? Do they just want part-1-Naruto forever?

Remember that the target demo for this show is not long-time viewers who've been following since the start but 5-10 year olds who maybe watch for a couple of years of the show before moving on to other things. Mature, experienced Ash probably isn't relatable to them...

Madao

Remember that the target demo for this show is not long-time viewers who've been following since the start but 5-10 year olds who maybe watch for a couple of years of the show before moving on to other things. Mature, experienced Ash probably isn't relatable to them...

more reasons to do each gen with the game's protagonist and ditch Ash. conntinuity is being sabotaged to cater to them and it's being crap for both sides since the lil kids lose interest anyway and a lot of the old fans are sick of Ash.

Ash should have become a master several gens ago and should have been put in the role of legendary trainer that the new cast gets to meet at the end of the season to test their own pokes. kind of like how you meet him in the GSC games.

Tagg9

The only thing they can do to revive Pokemon at the box office is to produce a live action, western-based motion picture.

Maxinas

News is that they make Pokemon movies. Haven't they just been videogames since the '90s?

This is the 19th Pokemon movie i believe, tbh this isn't surprising, there is a new pokemon movie every year, so no surprise there would be fatigue.

I kind of expected this to be honest, how long can you watch until you realize how repetitive the movies get. I want to see PKMN movies go into interesting directions like with YW movie with its live-action adaption and not make it for the sake of promoting *insert legendary Pokemon*

I think an actual Pokémon blockbuster is what the series needs now. No Ash, maybe even no Pikachu (at least in the role of the main Pokémon), and possibly something live-action. Imagine if they can make a high-quality film that looks nice that gets released in China.

Ezalc

Nah, Ash got the most development and maturation of any point in the series with XY and Japan's response has been negative to that. Replacing him would probably only exacerbate the problem. They're probably just gonna revert him to his original hot-headed idiot persona like they did in BW, which was much more warmly received over there.

Goddamnit Japan.

Atlas157

I'm just done with ash constantly soft rebooting his character and the anime universe in general. Origins was much more what I'd personally like.

I wouldn't like this. Red was complete shit in Origins. He let his Charizard do all the work while the rest of his team was underleveled trash. Red is the equivalent of an 8 year old playing the games for the first time.

His Jolteon got one shotted by a Rhyhorn using Thunderbolt.

XY Ash > Origins Red

Illucio

Banned
The recent Pokemon Movies have been pretty bland and boring.

When I watch the news movies I expect something amazing like that Pokémon Red Special. But instead I get some "misunderstood" Pokemon meeting Ash and the gang, or the b plot of some super nice but rare Pokémon that some villain is trying to capture meets Ash and the gang.

The movies need to completely break out of their formula. Offer us a movie with Ash battling the Elite Four. That in itself would make an interesting movie.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
BIG mistake not launching this after Pokemon Go launched in Japan.

I'm absolutely certain Japanese interest in Pokemon will be revitalized after today (it only launched a few hours ago there edit: nope, apparently its been further delayed until thursday)

Hell, I think you could open a Pokemon movie internationally right now and it'd do great.

Mory Dunz

They were all too busy watching:
broken-f5-button.jpg

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This new gen stuff gets worse and worse.
Do a movie in Gen 1 and watch the ROI go through the roof!

NeonZ

Best Wishes was declining too though, it just ranks higher than XY due to starting at a higher level. They really should try some big revamp for the next season.

Their current movie formula also is pretty old. The tv show nowadays has much more hyped battles than the movies which is just odd.

MisterHero

Maybe they should have consequences to events in the anime timeline. Maybe Ash can grow up a little bit... please?

I can't believe fucking Wobuffet is like the 2nd longest lasting Pokémon after Pikachu. Poor Arbok and Weezing. :(

Also, bring Misty back for reals.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

And yet in BW, Team Rocket were actually more sinister and serious. I actually MUCH preferred that than their usual "let's get Pikachu for the millionth time!" It was all leading up to a big battle between them and Team Plasma... but the earthquake happened and that whole thing got scrapped. Team Rocket acting more serious also wasn't very positively received in Japan, and when they reconstructed the story to take out that one arc, they went back to normal :/ I really liked their change too...

vanty

Would the Pokémon Adventures manga make sense as a show/movie series? I've never read it but reading about it on Bulbapedia it sure seems much more interesting.

The only thing they can do to revive Pokemon at the box office is to produce a live action, western-based motion picture.

With an exceedingly moronic nonsensical casting preferably, like Jean Claude Van Damme as Ash and Pikachu dubbed by William Shatner. I would watch the fuck out of that movie. Don't do a semi serious stuff like Dragonball Evolution, go the full WTF and it could work.

Wow, they're still theatrical releases in Japan? Either TPC has to slow these down or move them to a TV station like they do Cartoon Network. I feel like a new movie is constantly announced just a few months after last. I bet Japan is feeling a little fatigue with going out to the theater to see these things.

Sandfox

Wow, they're still theatrical releases in Japan? Either TPC has to slow these down or move them to a TV station like they do Cartoon Network. I feel like a new movie is constantly announced just a few months after last. I bet Japan is feeling a little fatigue with going out to the theater to see these things.

They announce the new movies at the end the previous one.

aadiboy

Lucario and the Mystery of Mew was an amazing Pokemon movie, probably my favorite. The DP movies were ok and I haven't watched any BW or XY movies so I don't know how they are.

Maybe they should have consequences to events in the anime timeline. Maybe Ash can grow up a little bit... please?

I can't believe fucking Wobuffet is like the 2nd longest lasting Pokémon after Pikachu. Poor Arbok and Weezing. :(

Also, bring Misty back for reals.

uh meowth? also wanting misty back

giphy.gif

like that's even gonna happen

anyway next years movie should do better just wait

Top Bottom