• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Don't Care: New Pokemon Film Debuts to Franchise Low

Holy shit ash is still the main character of pokemon. I have a feeling he never did catch em all.
Gary was a better trainer and a better man

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I kind of expected this to be honest, how long can you watch until you realize how repetitive the movies get. I want to see PKMN movies go into interesting directions like with YW movie with its live-action adaption and not make it for the sake of promoting *insert legendary Pokemon*

To be fair, the YW movies are also about promoting new Yo-kai. The previews for the latest show a koala (probably Koalanyan) and that giant whale. But like the anime, it differentiates itself by having multiple stories (the latest having everything go live-action, which makes me wonder how it would be dubbed, maybe film all new footage with American Nate instead of Japanese Keita?)
I know the first movie is basically a retelling of YW2, but the sequels are more like that.

I do think Pokemon (the anime at least) is in a severe rut. If the character development thing is true, then it needs a major rehaul. Do what Pokemon Special does and have a new protagonist for every game. With the remakes being the time to revisit them. Get a new character for the Sun & Moon season.
People are building up the Kalos League as the one where Ash finally wins, so that might be the jumping off point. Fans are tired of seeing Ash (Satoshi) lose, especially since the last two were heinously bad (One year, he loses to a cheater, the next he loses to the biggest moron in the world).

Holy shit ash is still the main character of pokemon. I have a feeling he never did catch em all.

HA HA HA HA HA HA
Even in Kalos he still does releasing. Granted, Goodra did come back, but he's NEVER going to catch them all. Especially when there are seasons where his companions get the other Starters. He only got Froakie this time, Serena got Fennekin and Clemont got Chespin.
And yeah, at least Gary knew when to quit and become a Pokemon Professor.

It's not that pokemon is a fad, it's just that the anime and movies are stagnant stank while Pokemon Go is breath of fresh air. They have nothing to do with each other

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
why is it that every Pokemon thread eventually ends to something Pokemon that isn't related to the topic lol

mind you I don't particularly like any of the XY movies, certain scenes aside, they take away too much of the XY anime's time. I'm going to be mad that the opening of the fucking semis and finals will have movie advertisement. So maybe it bombing would mean they'd get over it quicker.

Nah, Ash got the most development and maturation of any point in the series with XY and Japan's response has been negative to that. Replacing him would probably only exacerbate the problem. They're probably just gonna revert him to his original hot-headed idiot persona like they did in BW, which was much more warmly received over there.

err what, were are you pulling that stuff from

hell if anything Ash is big now with a certain periphery, the fujoshi

Stop falling for memes. The purpose of Gary is to show he was a shitty trainer compared to Ash despite all the outward shit he does.

It's not that pokemon is a fad, it's just that the anime and movies are stagnant stank while Pokemon Go is breath of fresh air. They have nothing to do with each other
I kind of expected this to be honest, how long can you watch until you realize how repetitive the movies get. I want to see PKMN movies go into interesting directions like with YW movie with its live-action adaption and not make it for the sake of promoting *insert legendary Pokemon*

Yeah because when I think of XY Ash I think of garbage OS Ash.

Or when I think of crap like the Black and White movies I think of Entei movie.

The later movies might be lackluster, but they're far from repetitive.

Boss Doggie

To be fair, the YW movies are also about promoting new Yo-kai. The previews for the latest show a koala (probably Koalanyan) and that giant whale. But like the anime, it differentiates itself by having multiple stories (the latest having everything go live-action, which makes me wonder how it would be dubbed, maybe film all new footage with American Nate instead of Japanese Keita?)
I know the first movie is basically a retelling of YW2, but the sequels are more like that.

I do think Pokemon (the anime at least) is in a severe rut. If the character development thing is true, then it needs a major rehaul. Do what Pokemon Special does and have a new protagonist for every game. With the remakes being the time to revisit them. Get a new character for the Sun & Moon season.
People are building up the Kalos League as the one where Ash finally wins, so that might be the jumping off point. Fans are tired of seeing Ash (Satoshi) lose, especially since the last two were heinously bad (One year, he loses to a cheater, the next he loses to the biggest moron in the world).

HA HA HA HA HA HA
Even in Kalos he still does releasing. Granted, Goodra did come back, but he's NEVER going to catch them all. Especially when there are seasons where his companions get the other Starters. He only got Froakie this time, Serena got Fennekin and Clemont got Chespin.
And yeah, at least Gary knew when to quit and become a Pokemon Professor.

But PokeSpe is pretty much doing what the anime is as far as character goes, they change the character rather than keeping it Ash, but the context is still the same (like, you wouldn't say OS Ash is the same as XY Ash). And it's still rife with tropes people hate on the anime, so it really wouldn't be much different.

Also why are people still mad about Ash releasing Goodra? lol unlike shit like Butterfree and Primeape, they actually build up as to why he needed to be released to begin with.

Menitta

This thread is sad and funny at the same time.

The quality of Pokemon movies have been decreasing as of late. Like, I thought the last decent one was the Victini movie and even that one wasn't as good as the Time and Space trilogy. Every movie after that one has been not good. I haven't seen the Hoopa movie but my expectations are low to say the least. It sucks because the show is the best it's ever been.

Boss Doggie

Note that while Ash released Goodra but currently is using him, he still is technically "released". He just happens to live nearby and considering the Kalos league and the Flare shit being near his living area, he'd join Ash.

The quality of Pokemon movies have been decreasing as of late. Like, I thought the last decent one was the Victini movie and even that one wasn't as good as the Time and Space trilogy. Every movie after that one has been not good. I haven't seen the Hoopa movie but my expectations are low to say the least.

Hoopa is decent, but you'd like it more if you watched the supplemental OVA and in subbed.

HardRojo

All they need is to work on a movie that focuses on the original 151, more nostalgia and a reasonable plot that justifies focusing only on those Pokémon, and they'll bounce back in business. You know it's true.
Edit: Heck, cut a deal with theaters for a Pokémon Go promotion for spectators, that shit will sell out faster than a Pokémon Go server goes to crap in a yet-to-be-launched-in country.

wmlk

The quality of Pokemon movies have been decreasing as of late. Like, I thought the last decent one was the Victini movie and even that one wasn't as good as the Time and Space trilogy. Every movie after that one has been not good. I haven't seen the Hoopa movie but my expectations are low to say the least. It sucks because the show is the best it's ever been.

Even then, the last Sinnoh movie (the Arceus and the Jewel of Life one) wasn't very good at all.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I can't even pronounce that, so I'll call it "not charizard"

Psst, he's joking.

Volcanion is an event legendary added in the most recent games, X/Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. It's a Fire/Water type. It looks weird and uses steam, hence the typing.

Boss Doggie

All they need is to work on a movie that focuses on the original 151, more nostalgia and a reasonable plot that justifies focusing only on those Pokémon, and they'll bounce back in business. You know it's true.
Edit: Heck, cut a deal with theaters for a Pokémon Go promotion for spectators, that shit will sell out faster than a Pokémon Go server goes to crap in a yet-to-be-launched-in country.

part of the reason of Go's success is it being in mobile, not because "151"

Pokemon 2000 and the Entei movie are still the best?
Yep.

After Entei though Deoxys and Lucario were pretty good while Latios/Latias, Jirachi, and Darkrai were decent. Everything else is meh to bad.

why does garbage like 2000 like to ride around the coattails of the actual movie that started the good stuff - Entei?

Lucario movie was great. Really sad at times :(

Pokemon 2000 is worth watching for tsundere salty Misty telling everyone she doesnt have a crush on Ash every 10 minutes.

Crayolan

part of the reason of Go's success is it being in mobile, not because "151"

why does garbage like 2000 like to ride around the coattails of the actual movie that started the good stuff - Entei?

2000 is the only movie where Team Rocket actually has a meaningful role in the movie, and they're great in it.\

Edit: Boss Doggie without a furry avy... :O

The show is better than the movies.

The biggest flaw the anime series as a whole has is its fixed protagonist.
It was a huge mistake to retain Ash after Kanto ended. The directors should have had the foresight to change the main character in line with the games/manga, while still retaining it's own adaptation.

They dug their own grave now, they can't switch out Ash and keeping him gives the series a "nothing changes or advance" vipe.

It doesn't matter how different Ash is in XY, the anime and movies need a huge shake up if they want to stop the decline. A new cast is pretty much a must at this point.

The show is better than the movies.

The biggest flaw the anime series as a whole has is its fixed protagonist.
It was a huge mistake to retain Ash after Kanto ended. The directors should have had the foresight to change the main character in line with the games/manga, while still retaining it's own adaptation.

They dug their own grave now, they can't switch out Ash and keeping him gives the series a "nothing changes or advance" vipe.

I agree, but Ash and (more importantly) Pikachu were extremely popular, so I get why.

Imagine trying to start over without Pikachu.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I don't recall Pokemon 4Ever or Heroes getting a theatrical release here.
The first 5 got theater releases in the US, then much later on the first BW one did as well. The first three had wide releases but 4/5/BW were much more limited so I had ta go outta my to catch 'em all in theaters!

I thought Destiny Deoxys and Lucario & The Mystery of Mew were pretty good.
Those were both low points imo. Ranger, the DP trilogy, and the first BW were all good watches to me!

Haven't seen 16/17/18 yet, hopefully next year I'll be able to buy 'em! They still releasing these did dvd-only >_>?

Boss Doggie

It doesn't matter how different Ash is in XY, the anime and movies need a huge shake up if they want to stop the decline. A new cast is pretty much a must at this point.
The decline is due to children not viewing tv much at all, not because of "quality".

I agree, but Ash and (more importantly) Pikachu were extremely popular, so I get why.

Imagine trying to start over without Pikachu.

I honestly can see an Ash-less show, as long as Pikachu is around.

With that said, they did try an Ash-less show (those side stories back in Johto and AG), but from what I heard they weren't well-received?

Boss Doggie

When other shows targeting kids pull in double the ratings(or more) as Pokemon this isn't exactly a valid answer. And I didn't say it had to do with quality, the show just needs a reboot.

Those shows are the toyetic types though, and even YW is in the decline usually switching around with Pokemon. I was told Sazae-chan was pulling double digit percentage years ago before now which was barely reaching doubles. And from what I gathered Rider and Sentai barely go up to 4.0 nowadays.

I doubt a reboot could save it, unless it'd be the usual big early peak that slowly goes down.

But really, you should know this by now - shows meant to sell merch don't care about ratings as long as the merch continues to sell. It's why Fiveman nearly killed Sentai but Jetman saved it.

Lol, I still see some people are thinking Yo-Kai Watch has a chance to 'dethrone' Pokemon, even though it's been a mild success at best outside Japan. Guess these threads are tailor made for them.

When Pokemon Go launches in Japan and is a crazy success like it has been everywhere else, can we title that thread Japan Cares Afterall?

Top Bottom