• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Don't Care: New Pokemon Film Debuts to Franchise Low

Javelin

Neo Member
I would hold off before calling this movie a bomb. The Japanese box office is much more about legs than the US. If fan reaction is relatively positive than it can easily escape grossing a franchise low too.

(Also anyone know if they are doing that shiny Gardevoir promotion outside Japan?)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I would hold off before calling this movie a bomb. The Japanese box office is much more about legs than the US. If fan reaction is relatively positive than it can easily escape grossing a franchise low too.

(Also anyone know if they are doing that shiny Gardevoir promotion outside Japan?)

They eventually made the movie releases overseas, like those shiny XY legendaries

Ew Ash got development in XY? I kinda like idiot Ash.

he still is reckless

Those shows are the toyetic types though, and even YW is in the decline usually switching around with Pokemon. I was told Sazae-chan was pulling double digit percentage years ago before now which was barely reaching doubles. And from what I gathered Rider and Sentai barely go up to 4.0 nowadays.

I doubt a reboot could save it, unless it'd be the usual big early peak that slowly goes down.

Sazae-chan is in double digits pretty much every week. Ratings in general are a lot lower now than they used to be, but other shows targeting similar demographics do a lot better than Pokemon, Pokemon should be pulling numbers closer to 4 to 5 if not numbers more comparable to something like Dragon Ball Super( 6 to 7 range) with how huge the games and merch are. Not even trying to combat the anime and movies' steep decline is not a smart move, they need to try something.

Astral

They eventually made the movie releases overseas, like those shiny XY legendaries

he still is reckless

What I mean is stuff like dressing up as a little girl to get into a gym or not realizing he's talking to obviously Sabrina's dad. Season 1 was legit funny.

harmonize

the anime has been performing like garbage for most of the XY series. the two recent Kalos league episodes didn't rank in the top ten anime the weeks they aired, which is a franchise first league-wise.

Mik2121

If only they had some potentially popular smartphone game to release with the movie to create extra word of mouth. Oh well!

I agree, but Ash and (more importantly) Pikachu were extremely popular, so I get why.

Imagine trying to start over without Pikachu.
While I do believe the anime does help boost Pikachu's status as the mascot big time, I don't see why Ash has to stick around with him.

Pikachu can be utilized in a million ways without Ash.

Bladenic

Sazae-chan is in double digits pretty much every week. Ratings in general are a lot lower now than they used to be, but other shows targeting similar demographics do a lot better than Pokemon, Pokemon should be pulling numbers closer to 4 to 5 if not numbers more comparable to something like Dragon Ball Super( 6 to 7 range) with how huge the games and merch are. Not even trying to combat the anime and movies' steep decline is not a smart move, they need to try something.

I know this is a little OT, but where do you get these ratings from? I'm curious how Sailor Moon Crystal did on TV.

As for the movie, a 16% drop isn't that bad, and jeez, this is like the 25th movie.

MisterHero

While I do believe the anime does help boost Pikachu's status as the mascot big time, I don't see why Ash has to stick around with him.

lolRedlol Ash is the co-mascot of the series.

They need to develop him, not ditch him.

Boss Doggie

XY occasionally goes to 4 and 5 but nowadays the norm is around 3 to 4.

And again, Sentai and KR had the same problem but it seems like as long as their merchandise sells well, they wouldn't really do much.

What I mean is stuff like dressing up as a little girl to get into a gym or not realizing he's talking to obviously Sabrina's dad. Season 1 was legit funny.

XY's plot is a bit more serious so there's that.

Personally while I had some chuckles in OS, I kinda felt cringy about it in most of them when I was watching as a kid, especially after watching it along with something like Lets & Go.

the anime has been performing like garbage for most of the XY series. the two recent Kalos league episodes didn't rank in the top ten anime the weeks they aired, which is a franchise first league-wise.

XY's highest rating episodes tend to focus on little girls I think.

Balb

I'm not saying to kill off the current anime, but I'd like them to make an anime spinoff that caters to, say, 10 year olds instead of 7 year olds.

lupinko

Pokemon still airs in theaters in Japan?

They just use this to give out DLC and free stuff.

If you did prebooking you get this dlc:

Volcanion code XYORAS
1st Place Greninja in life local XYORAS
Mageana qr code SM

I have two and I'll go later this week.

I know this is a little OT, but where do you get these ratings from? I'm curious how Sailor Moon Crystal did on TV.

As for the movie, a 16% drop isn't that bad, and jeez, this is like the 25th movie.

http://www.videor.co.jp/data/ratedata/top10.htm
XY occasionally goes to 4 and 5 but nowadays the norm is around 3 to 4.

And again, Sentai and KR had the same problem but it seems like as long as their merchandise sells well, they wouldn't really do much.

I can't even remember the last time Pokemon made it to the top ten, I'm pretty sure Pokemon is a sub 3 rating most of the time. I bet the fact that the quality of the show got a massive jump with the XY series was specifically to try and stop the falling ratings, so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried something again with the next series. Higher ratings for the anime could help sales for merch and the games and it would also help the movies as well. Higher ratings and larger amounts of money made on the movies is absolutely possible for Pokemon, they just need to shake things up.

Boss Doggie

http://www.videor.co.jp/data/ratedata/top10.htm
I can't even remember the last time Pokemon made it to the top ten, I'm pretty sure Pokemon is a sub 3 rating most of the time. I bet the fact that the quality of the show got a massive jump with the XY series was specifically to try and stop the falling ratings, so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried something again with the next series. Higher ratings for the anime could help sales for merch and the games and it would also help the movies as well. Higher ratings and larger amounts of money made on the movies is absolutely possible for Pokemon, they just need to shake things up.

A few weeks ago, I forgot when.

And honestly BW had higher ratings, so I don't really think that should be the case, it only went down due to the shitfest that was Da!

Busaiku

This is never the case with recent Pokémon movies.
Every single film has seen big declines since Zoroark Master of Illusions (which was actually the 3rd highest grossing in the franchise). Victini and Kyurem/Zekrom was also the 5th highest grossing, but it had a different release.
The franchise still hasn't hit the lows of Johto/Hoenn yet.

DonMigs85

The movies are honestly getting too dull and predictable. Befriend a new legendary or two, deal with the baddie chasing after said legendary, help the legendary achieve its goals and save whatever. Last movie I liked was probably the one with Zoroark.

dity

Not only that but often you can only get the associated event legendaries by preordering tickets

Which is basically the whole point of the movie. They draw you in to their half-arsed movie with an event Pokemon and the movie is just basically an advertisement for said legendary. Japanese Pokemon fans have just finally wisened up to the scam.

Boss Doggie

by the way, Toho is the one distributing Pokemon movies, not Pokemon itself. just a random trivia.

so yes there is a big link of pokemon and tokusatsu

harmonize

Maybe it's time to bring back the classic original pokemons.
charizard is unarguably the most popular original pokemon after pikachu and has made frequent appearances as of late, and it hasn't really stopped the hemorrhaging. i mean the first league episode having the two charizard megas face off for the first time couldn't even move the needle.

bringing back original characters like brock, misty, gary
and tracey lmao
, or doing something dramatic like introducing ash's dad is probably where the money is, if there's any left to be made. i don't think people would be all too interested in a new main character tbh, the alain specials haven't done any better than the main series has, and that's probably what the show would look like with a new main character aimed at a slightly older audience.

Boss Doggie

charizard is unarguably the most popular original pokemon after pikachu and has made frequent appearances as of late, and it hasn't really stopped the hemorrhaging. i mean the first league episode having the two charizard megas face off for the first time couldn't even move the needle.

bringing back original characters like brock, misty, gary
and tracey lmao
, or doing something dramatic like introducing ash's dad is probably where the money is, if there's any left to be made. i don't think people would be all too interested in a new main character tbh, the alain specials haven't done any better than the main series has, and that's probably what the show would look like with a new main character aimed at a slightly older audience.

you can't just make a "charizard is popular but it didn't help!" then immediately follow it up with "let's bring back characters the target audience don't care".

Ash and Pikachu are the same thing. You take out Ash you take out pikachu. Pairing Pikachu with anyone else aint gon feel right..

HardRojo

part of the reason of Go's success is it being in mobile, not because "151"
I'm sure a big chunk of its success comes from the fact that people recognize almost all of the Pokémon they're seeing right now. It's just the way I see it, nothing really wrong with having different opinions in this case, and yeah, being on mobile devices is definitely the main reason it is successful.

Busaiku

It'll be fine.
Ash doesn't even use Pikachu anymore, just sticks with that stupid frog.
And ratings continue to fall.

Boss Doggie

I'm sure a big chunk of its success comes from the fact that people recognize almost all of the Pokémon they're seeing right now. It's just the way I see it, nothing really wrong with having different opinions in this case, and yeah, being on mobile devices is definitely the main reason it is successful.

"recognizability" is a moot point when the game pretty much tells you what it is

like I said, being on mobile with very little need to actually interact with said app is the main cause of its success

Shit legendaries combined with shit MC that have been overused for almost 15 years. No wonder it tanks.

XY Ash is probably better than most of the popular shonen protagonist nowadays.

harmonize

you can't just make a "charizard is popular but it didn't help!" then immediately follow it up with "let's bring back characters the target audience don't care".
charizard could very well be overexposed though. after Da, origins and alain it's possible people are simply tired of seeing it. brock/gary/misty have been gone from a range of three to eleven years, it's probably the only part of Gen 1 that they haven't really touched on for some reason.

and the target audience is irrelevant for what we're talking about. unless Go is some cross-promotional success for the younger audience the likes of which hasn't been seen since red/blue, they're not going to come back anyways as we've seen with BW and XY giving ash entirely new groups and rivals, and the younger audience not caring.

Boss Doggie

charizard could very well be overexposed though. after Da, origins and alain it's possible people are simply tired of seeing it. brock/gary/misty have been gone from a range of three to eleven years, it's probably the only part of Gen 1 that they haven't really touched on for some reason.

and the target audience is irrelevant for what we're talking about. unless Go is some cross-promotional success for the younger audience the likes of which hasn't been seen since red/blue, they're not going to come back anyways as we've seen with BW and XY giving ash entirely new groups and rivals, and the younger audience not caring.

I'd argue that the older audience wouldn't even care about the anime period, even if you try to entice them to return. That did shit when they brought back Ash's Charizard in BW.

This fascination for old, irrelevant characters befuddle me to this day.

harmonize

I'd argue that the older audience wouldn't even care about the anime period, even if you try to entice them to return.
digging goku and friends up has resulted in a show that performs much better than pokemon does on a weekly basis, and nostalgia has been shown to work many of time throughout pokemon's history.

i mean it's either bring back popular characters for possible audience boost versus keeping the current cast that nobody cares about versus introducing new characters that probably even less people would care about. the dice roll is clearly the best option they have here.

Boss Doggie

digging goku and friends up has resulted in a show that performs much better than pokemon does on a weekly basis, and nostalgia has been shown to work many of time throughout pokemon's history.

i mean it's either bring back popular characters for possible audience boost versus keeping the current cast that nobody cares about versus introducing new characters that probably even less people would care about. the dice roll is clearly the best option they have here.

but you imply they "left" Goku's friends

now we'd have a point if say, they bring up several of his DB-era pals

and it's not so much as nostalgia as it is the popular Gen 1s being used frequently, like if that was the case we'd see Bulbasaur line but nope

Vex_

Banned
Ash just isn't relatable anymore. In the East, and especially in the West.

Sorry ash ketchup. Red/blue are cooler than you anyway.

harmonize

but you imply they "left" Goku's friends

now we'd have a point if say, they bring up several of his DB-era pals
they did. they weren't in new material for years until kai, then the new movies started airing, then the new show came along to capitalize on it and here we are with it being a success.

and the DB-era comparison doesn't work because it's not the most popular time in the work's history, especially outside of japan. when talking about the pokemon show, the only human characters most people are going to know of are the ones from gen 1 because the show fell so quickly out of public consciousness afterwards.

Top Bottom