• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan: Final Fantasy XV down ~56% from FF13, lowest singleplayer debut since FF5

kromeo

I blame XIII and XII. Even if they're servicable games, they're still bad Final Fantasies that tarnished the brand. XIV 1.0 did damage too. In general, this is post FFX and PS3 era Square reaping what they sowed. Hopefully they'll steadily recover , as theyre doing promising stuff now.

XII was better than XV though, even if it suffered from some of the same problems

LordKano

You're the minority in this opinion. I really hope you realize that, homie.

He is absolutely not. I think Final Fantasy fans should realise that outside the fan community, the serie lost a lot of its appeal and isn't doing that great critically anymore.

It's no longer one of the most important video game franchise.

ethomaz

Banned
GTAIV exposed the reality of reviewer culture at the time. Eager to please their readers by delivering on expected perception, rushing to deliver impressions without letting anything sink in. It was a perfect storm of a super anticipated blockbuster with a serious downward curve in quality as the game progresses. The first half of GTAIV is easily a 9/10 game. By the end though.... roflmao.
GTAIV is one of the best games ever created.

It is so much fun (I never finished any GTA game but played zillion of hours just messing around due how fun it is).

ethomaz

Banned
He is not.

FFXV has major flaws... it is even more screaming when you compare with previous entries... FF brand weight is really that low today.

Well except for FFXII I don't think I ever played a FF that fells so unfinished.

MilkBeard

My gosh this thread has turned into a "this game's shit, no THAT game's shit" thread of pointing fingers. Welcome to Final Fantasy, I guess.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Honestly right now the things I hate the most of XV is not the story or other elements mentioned but... the terrible, terrible "fast-travel" and loading times. Post-end is a chore because of this. I dream of a game set in a an open world where fast travelling doesn't require these long boring loading times... fuck them

edit. wrong topic sigh!

That score isn't a validation of XIII's "quality." It's a dent and a hit on game reviewer's credibility.

Yep. I've posted before about how FFXIII-2 has lower scores than XIII across the board, despite nearly EVERY reviewer praising the game as being better than XIII in every way fans were asking for.

Fan expectation and anticipated backlash inflated the hell out of the scores for XIII. After fans actually PLAYED that game and the reactions were overwhelmingly negative, scores for the sequels were a lot closer to reality.

duckroll

Gameplay wise I disagree, game was great since release. Loot, yeah, that took time to get fixed but playing the game was a blast day 1 just as it is a blast today.

Nooooooooo way. I was bitching about the core mechanics of Diablo 3 since the beta before it was released. It was fundamentally flawed. The obsession with designing an entire damage system based around a DPS number alone was boring as hell. Was the combat feedback good? Sure. When you clicked, shit blew up. But that's presentation, not mechanics. The presentation was solid but the mechanics and numbers behind the gameplay was not satisfying especially for the long haul. There was no point at all in trying to be creative with class builds or mixing and matching equipment for interesting effects. All that matters was DPS. Boooooooooring.

Kadmac25

So does this mean we aren't getting Final Fantasy 16 now? I read an article a few months ago where the devs talked about future iterations. They said the next FF could revert back to a medieval setting kinda like what happened to FF9.

I would welcome that.

Bring back the turn-based combat, world maps, airship control, and sprite characters.

Koodo

Banned
A collapse in sales, the lowest critical reception in the series and single handedly teetering the franchise from a position of respect to a laughing stock seem to indicate the opposite.

Kanann

They need to do like in PS1/PS2 era, have about 2~3 teams take care mainline titles separately.
EX: If XVI suck we still have XVII in next 1-2 year and XVIII after.

They need to do like in PS1/PS2 era, have about 2~3 teams take care mainline titles separately.

While I would love for this to happen, I don't think SE has the money to do that anymore. Not unless every game is a guaranteed sales hit.

I think we should also be asking not just does FF matter in Japan but also does Japan matter to FF on consoles now? People keep saying what a travesty XV is despite it doing really well outside of Japan.

Unless they make the next mainline FF game on a phone or portable console, I doubt we'll see huger numbers in Japan if their console decline continues.

crAfm8J.png

People really need to stop saying that FF13 was a terrible game or the worst game of all time. Seems like most modern gamers do not know what a truly reprehensible game is nowadays. Sure, it had issues, imperfections and some peculiar decisions like with pretty much any game, but it is nowhere near a horrendous game. Not sure why rabid fans insist on hating it so much. It's perfectly fine that you didn't like the game, but I really think gamers exaggerate it's flaws.
the story is nonsensical and it takes you twenty hours to get to pulse and have the battle system open up. that is bad. that's not an exaggeration.

FStubbs

I think we should also be asking not just does FF matter in Japan but also does Japan matter to FF on consoles now? People keep saying what a travesty XV is despite it doing really well outside of Japan.

Unless they make the next mainline FF game on a phone or portable console, I doubt we'll see huger numbers in Japan if their console decline continues.

If that's the case, FF16 should ditch the fujoshi bait and just go whole hog wRPG.

~Cross~

You dont think SE has game divisions already split working on different titles? They'd have to have 2 other 200+ people divisions to actually have that many FF titles being developed simultaneously and then you'd have a warehouse to ship people to during the pre-production phases of game development where they just twiddle their thumbs till they get their new assignment like Ubisoft does.

If that's the case, FF16 should ditch the fujoshi bait and just go whole hog wRPG.
I doubt it will ever go full wRPG because FF has had it's JRPG roots firmly apart of it's brand. Like they could have easily gotten a second-rate western developer to make a mock hack and slash combat engine (like they almost did with Fortress), but the fact they tried to find a medium between action combat and something similar to past games shows they don't want to completely reinvent themselves.

Kanann

While I would love for this to happen, I don't think SE has the money to do that anymore. Not unless every game is a guaranteed sales hit.

You dont think SE has game divisions already split working on different titles? They'd have to have 2 other 200+ people divisions to actually have that many FF titles being developed simultaneously and then you'd have a warehouse to ship people to during the pre-production phases of game development where they just twiddle their thumbs till they get their new assignment like Ubisoft does.

Now a day, they're just shift more focus on mobile (profits) and smaller titles (low risk). I know we can't go back to '90 and 2000s anymore, but...

FStubbs

I doubt it will ever go full wRPG because FF has had it's JRPG roots firmly apart of it's brand. Like they could have easily gotten a second-rate western developer to make a mock hack and slash combat engine (like they almost did with Fortress), but the fact they tried to find a medium between action combat and something similar to past games shows they don't want to completely reinvent themselves.

Right but if you're talking about a series that tries to be trendy, changes things up with each iteration, and has most of its appeal in the West, then going full wRPG may not be a bad idea.

Also, going full wRPG doesn't necessarily mean 100% action either. I thought Dragon Age had some similarities to FF12 in terms of combat.

StereoVsn

I strong disagree... story was one of the key points in all FFs I played.
I think FF VI - X had pretty good stories (I didn't like X but a lot of people did). Now there are differences in opinion on the quality but all of them were at least understandable and presented well in the game.

Past X it all went down hill.

Right but if you're talking about a series that tries to be trendy, changes things up with each iteration, and has most of its appeal in the West, then going full wRPG may not be a bad idea.

Also, going full wRPG doesn't necessarily mean 100% action either. I thought Dragon Age had some similarities to FF12 in terms of combat.
Yeah, but Dragon Age has been suffering it's own identity issue as it tries to appeal to the classic cRPG genre like the old Baldur's Gate series while also be actiony enough to appeal to newer crowds. I think FFXV has been more successful with it's combat system being a better bridge between classic and action than Dragon Age has.

Toth

A collapse in sales, the lowest critical reception in the series and single handedly teetering the franchise from a position of respect to a laughing stock seem to indicate the opposite.

Laughing stock? That was FFXIV 1.0. Since then, FFXIV ARR was a big hit and the mobile games have been very successful.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
crAfm8J.png

People really need to stop saying that FF13 was a terrible game or the worst game of all time. Seems like most modern gamers do not know what a truly reprehensible game is nowadays. Sure, it had issues, imperfections and some peculiar decisions like with pretty much any game, but it is nowhere near a horrendous game. Not sure why rabid fans insist on hating it so much. It's perfectly fine that you didn't like the game, but I really think gamers exaggerate it's flaws.
Final Fantasy was a series that was guaranteed to rate in the 90s range.

I still think the game is very fun and I've already added on about 20 hours of playtime after finishing the game. But that said, I have no idea how they botched the story so bad. I understand story changes and all that but it was just so unbelievably sparse. Barely any character development or world building at all. If they want to seriously get back on track they're gonna have to put a higher priority on story.

Side note: It's unfortunate that the current gen iterations of 2 of my favorite series, FF and MGS, had poor stories.

LordKasual

Banned
Not really.

Even if you are a big fan of FFXV, you need to realize that its not 1 tenth of what the series is supposed to be.

I am a fan of XIII ,but I fully realize that its heavily flawed & not representative of FF's prime.

Homie

Not even remotely. Lower review scores compared to previous series entries combined with lower sales means it's the overwhelmingly popular opinion. It's okay to accept that the game you love has major flaws. Just got to hope Square starts taking things seriously if you want this franchise to continue.

He is absolutely not. I think Final Fantasy fans should realise that outside the fan community, the serie lost a lot of its appeal and isn't doing that great critically anymore.

It's no longer one of the most important video game franchise.

He is not.

FFXV has major flaws... it is even more screaming when you compare with previous entries... FF brand weight is really that low today.

Well except for FFXII I don't think I ever played a FF that fells so unfinished.

Not really.

He's far from being in the minority.

Nah bruh GAF has spoken Xv is bad the majority told me so

I think he has a point...

He's not, bruh.

You are certainly mixing up your terminology, minority doesn't mean what you think it does.

oh SHIT 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Eeeeeeeleven people who think NeoGAF's ridiculous hatred of this game is the "norm" and that FFXV is totally the death rattle of the series by no merits other than its own

I'm spamming the assist button but Ishida was quite inconveniently banned

so I guess i'll just have to take all of your words for it, no reason to assume bias since we're in a statistics thread

So does this mean we aren't getting Final Fantasy 16 now? I read an article a few months ago where the devs talked about future iterations. They said the next FF could revert back to a medieval setting kinda like what happened to FF9.

CLEARLY not, the series is dead now

Persona 5 is doing quite well though

oh SHIT 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Eeeeeeeleven people who think NeoGAF's ridiculous hatred of this game is the "norm" and that FFXV is totally the death rattle of the series by no merits other than its own

I'm spamming the assist button but Ishida was quite inconveniently banned

so I guess i'll just have to take all of your words for it

That's not what heelpower was saying. Just that XV is a very flawed game and that the series (except for XIV) is very far from it's prime. An idea I fully support.

He wasn't saying that XV is the worst game evar or something like that.

wait does GAF hate FFXV? I haven't been paying attention.

Some people think is the best thing ever.

Some people think is good

Some people think is decent, but very flawed

Some people think is bad

Some people think is the worst thing ever

Basically, the same that happens to most games on GAF. (That aren't Souls games, most GAF love their Souls games, like it should)

LordKasual

Banned
Some people think is the best thing ever.

Some people think is good

Some people think is decent, but very flawed

Some people think is bad

Some people think is the worst thing ever

Basically, the same that happens to most games on GAF. (That aren't Souls games, most GAF love their Souls games, like it should)

I will admit

I thought it was XV exclusive, because the vitriol was so deep seated

But it really is every game around here. You guys hate everything. Dunno what I expected from a gaming forum, but i guess i can't say im disappointed

XV is probably the worst of the recent games though, barring No Man's Sky.

The amount of hyperbole surrounding everything about this game is so severe that i legitimately get confused when people get angry at the word "hyperbole". I can write an essay on how much I hate XIII but even I won't allow myself to go as far as to say some of the crazy shit around here.

I will admit

But it really is every game around here. You guys hate everything. Dunno what I expected from a gaming forum, but i guess i can't say im disappointed

to be fair, I wouldnt hate FFXV if it was a good game

I will admit

Nah, every game suffers through it to an extent. FFXV's flaws are just a little more transparent.

I remember in the UC4 OT, people who disliked the game threw around ideas like how they expected it to sell poorly once word of mouth kicks in (lol), forgotten in a year or so (lol) and even a couple of posters literally comparing people who thought the game was good as to having bad/poor opinions.

It's part of the Internet gaming problem that also exists on GAF, but in a different form due to the insulated nature of the community.

Top Bottom