• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF, Anyone won the Playstation 5 reservation lottery?

I enter the lottery to reserve a Playstation 5 in 5 diferent stores.

Yodobashi Camera, Big Camera, Sony Store, Joshin and Geo.

The results from the biggest one, Yodobashi went live yesterday and i lost (my wife too). Other store will be up after Sep 30.
Funny that i asked on my workplace (Game Develop company, around 200 + people) and no one won... (Not about dev kit)

So, anyone got a reservation in Japan?

For those who dont know, in japan we dont reserve the console, we enter a lottery, wait a week and check if you are allowed to reserve or not, you get automatic disqualified if you reserve more than one, or another account with the same address. (Also is not like Xbox Series X/S here in japan, virtually no store had the lottery and not even landpage for reservation, you just click and reserve).

sad :/

y2xXBZg.png

Last edited:

Zannegan

Been in Tokyo for a couple of years but never for a generational launch. I had no idea this was a thing. I was planning to wait on both consoles until they were readily available anyway, but that's good to know. lol.

Good luck. I hope you get one.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I can't even win in a lottery of only 10 people so I tend to avoid these kinds of things.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Sounds like it builds anticipation. Being chosen to have a chance. That makes more sense about Sony’s golden ticket email about preordering. In America we’ll storm out of the store while cursing at the employees and tipping over the displays.

I’d love to see the marketing displays in Japanese stores. I love their marketing for video games. They have a way of showcasing the potential of the video game. It often is a whole lot better than the marketing in America.

1-A32-CE3-D-1-F11-4-B68-8-BF5-833-E7-AF509-E9.jpg

This insert came with my Japanese copy of Final Fantasy XIII. This is smaller, but it’s much more impactful than what comes in NA games.

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
Didn't Nintendo do the same thing when Switch launched? You had to ballot to stand a chance at preordering.

ranmafan

That sound incredibly lame , is that really how playstation treats its Japanese customers?No wonder they are on the decline in that region.

its not just a playstation thing. It’s how pretty much all systems do it these days in japan when the demand is too great. That’s how switch was sold for the first year and recently to make it fair for everyone. Psvr was as well for its first year. Problem is there just isn’t enough supply for the demand. Honestly I like the lottery system more. Better than trying to get one the old fashion way, especially with all the people who just go to buy up all the system to scalp them.

That sound incredibly lame , is that really how playstation treats its Japanese customers?No wonder they are on the decline in that region.
Didn't Nintendo do the same thing when Switch launched? You had to ballot to stand a chance at preordering.

yes, this is normal for all popular/high demand items, Nintendo, Playstation , Balmuda Toaster (lol)...etc.
Normally we would line up for the lottery number, so we can get the product with no issues when it realese.

My playstation 4 i got day one in japan but i was living in a rural area.

Last edited:

ranmafan

yes, this is normal for all popular/high demand items, Nintendo, Playstation , Balmuda Toaster (lol)...etc.
Normally we would line up for the lottery number, so we can get the product with no issues when it realese.

My playstation 4 i got day one in japan but i was living in a rural area.

preordering the PS4 here was so incredibly easy. I also live in a little rural/town area. Not too big but not really small. Didn’t even have to preorder on day one. Went in like four days into the preorder, signed up for one at Geo. No cost. Had it on day one. That was a nice time.

This solution seems a lot more civilized and cultivated than having mobs of jobless nerds camp out before store fronts ahead of time or bots rob real customers.

smbu2000

The Switch has been in high demand a lot for the past few months. I entered in the lotto at my local GEO to get the AC console bundle.
It’s pretty common In Japan.

They were also doing it for Ring Fit Adventure as the demand was so high.

I have no interest in a PS5 so I didn’t bother to try for a pre-order.
(I do have a XSX pre-order though.)

ranmafan

So I was wondering was anyone here living in Japan able to secure a preorder through the lotteries now that they have ended? Unfortunately I did not win one at all. I have a feeling Japan will get less systems then the west for a while so I’ll probably have to wait a long while for a PS5. A bummer for sure but I’ll just catch up on my PS4 and switch games in the meantime.

• Empathy
Reactions: Isa
If you guys bought more PS4s, they would have a larger supply of PS5s.
But the games on release don't seem intended for JP audience.
Maybe FF16 there will be big launch.

Last edited:

ranmafan

If you guys bought more PS4s, they would have a larger supply of PS5s.
But the games on release don't seem intended for JP audience.
Maybe FF16 there will be big launch.

heck we didn’t even get PS4 on the same launch day as the rest of the world. We had to wait four months. I was actually surprised we got PS five on the same day as the US. Will be interesting to see the sales numbers in a couple weeks to see how many units were actually allocated to Japan. I know a lot of people are disappointed Here based on the responses I’ve seen on Japanese Twitter regarding the lotteries.

I didn’t, tried in 5 stores.

btw there’s more pre order/lottery this November 9 until November 15. Console arrive at December 6

ranmafan

I didn’t, tried in 5 stores.

btw there’s more pre order/lottery this November 9 until November 15. Console arrive at December 6
Yeah I’m wondering what to do about the Geo lottery coming up. One thing I’ve noticed online is more people seemed to have won by picking the pickup at store option. I tried the online store option and it was a frustrating week with geo not sending out emails for days and making people mad. And then not many people winning. It’s going to be interesting the next many months trying to get one.

ranmafan

Is there any hype for the system there?

there is hype but it’s still far below the switch of course. There are quite a lot of people that want to buy it and they are quite frustrated by the lack of stock. But in all honestly it’s a weird week in that it doesn’t feel like new systems are launching at all.

It's basically the same thing as here but more controlled though. In the west it's a brutish scramble to get a preorder online, millions of other people ramming f5 at the same time as you. In some ways it's a random chance game, but one that allows you to sway the odds in your favour considerably depending on location and tech you have.

In Japan it's a dignified affair. The lottery system simplifies the process, removes as much variables as possible. Have a ticket? You have a chance at winning a preorder that is determined in some randomized way, but the whole time the organizers are in control. There is very little chaos.

So it sounds lame this way, but in reality you're living it here just in a different form.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I would love to see the marketing for Demon’s Souls in Japan. It always fascinated me how they celebrate certain aspects of gaming. I once saw an ad for ramen with Yakuza on the flier. I always imagined there would be some sorta TV spot or some sorta huge banner for the console and the games. I can’t even picture the Switch stuff. I also wonder if From Software does any sorta store meet and greet even when they didn’t do the remake. Maybe some honor award?

The lottery would infuriate me. I would need to develop even more patience.

Last edited:

Tschumi

i haven't tried, i'll pick mine up next year if ever :) kena is coming out on the epic games store so i'll probably play it on my pc... with ps firmly in my heart :p god knows i've given them thousands of bucks on games over the years~

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
there is hype but it’s still far below the switch of course. There are quite a lot of people that want to buy it and they are quite frustrated by the lack of stock. But in all honestly it’s a weird week in that it doesn’t feel like new systems are launching at all.
How do Japanese gamers feel about the censorship?

Last edited:

ranmafan

How do Japanese gamers feel about the censorship?

Well there has been vocal complaints from developers about it to some Japanese gaming media. As for gamers, of course they aren’t happy with it at all, and it’s a complicated thing cause the censorship comes from three sources. Remember they have to deal with 1. Japanese censorship laws which are beyond ridiculous in this day and age for particularly nudity (it’s funny how tv shows from the us get censored here all the time), 2. CERO’s draconian censorship rules on top of that that makes the Z rating useless (especially considering the vast majority of stores don’t do a good job of following the rules about how they are displayed), and 3.Sony US taking over running playstation and causing more headache for games that did pass cero but are controversial elsewhere. Games are moving to switch uncensored and you’re starting to see even niche games that aren’t censored that would’ve done better on PlayStation in the past, actually selling higher on switch now cause hardcore gamers which Sony has completely switch to marketing to in the Japanese market want their uncensored games. Plus there is more of an import game market here now and many gamers (not a giant amount but more than you would expect) will buy the western releases instead to get those uncensored versions.

however I think a large amount of gamers don’t deal with the censorship too much since most games here are rarely censored. And as with everything in Japan, there’s the attitude of “it can’t be helped” that is huge here so I think most gamers will still back playstation but they are absolutely voting with their wallets regarding the censorship Sony us has added by buying more on switch.

still the hype is there for ps5 in the hardcore gaming community, but go on Japanese twitter and you’ll see a lot of people sad that there is such a small chance to get one anytime soon due to extremely limited stock and the extremely fair but still frustrating lottery system. Heck people were commenting about it when Sony annouced today that PS4 launch units won’t be able to be serviced by support after Christmas this year. They were like “well will there be stock in stores then for us?”

smbu2000

At first I thought the lottery system might be a bit strange as well as I was used to "first come, first serve", but it does make things more hassle-free.
I used it when I bought a Switch AC bundle in the summer and Ring Fit Adventure as well. Just enter and then if you win, they contact you and if not, then you didn't win.
If you don't get it then I'm sure it can be frustrating.

When I pre-ordered my Xbox Series X from the MS Japan store, I was refreshing like crazy until I could pre-order it at midnight when they opened pre-orders. It reminded me of non-lottery pre-orders. Luckily I was able to get in my pre-order for it without any problems and just received my XSX today.

I didn't try for a PS5 pre-order (as I don't really want one), but I'm sure the extremely limited stock for this release can be frustrating even when you have a fair chance at one.

Is there a shipping option with the GEO lottery? When I got my AC Switch bundle from them I just chose the nearest GEO location that I would be able to get it from. I didn't see any shipping option. (I used the GEO phone application.)

Zero7

The Japanese launch was the absolute Staple of a PS console launch in the past. How times have changed and sadly not for the best.

I did not win my biccamera lottery :messenger_weary:

Gonna have to see what the scalping scene looks like post launch.

I did buy a dual sense though. That should arrive soon.

Last edited:

ranmafan

Is there a shipping option with the GEO lottery? When I got my AC Switch bundle from them I just chose the nearest GEO location that I would be able to get it from. I didn't see any shipping option. (I used the GEO phone application.)
yes there is an option to choose either a store pick up or to choose their online store to ship to you for ps5 preorders. I choose the online store in the first round and came up empty. And it seems very few people won via the online store option based on the reactions on twitter. Far more people won via the in store option it seems. So for the second round I chose that. Not expecting to win this time either but I’m hoping I will.

Last edited:

ranmafan

Yodobashi camera will have more playstation5 from this november 24th!!

get Ready for the F5!!

i was excited for that until I saw the requirements. Sadly I won’t be able to do it.

I did however finally “get” a ps5, through Amazon Japan’s Wednesday preorder window. Unfortunately due to a huge error on their part they oversold. However good news is they aren’t canceling any orders. The bad news, mine has a delivery date of “next year” with no certainty when. And I’ve seen rumors online that have said people in the know expect them to need up to summer to fulfill all their orders. Still if I fail the Geo and Yamada lotteries, I at least have one in reserve. Hopefully in comes sooner than later.

Yo JGAF! Biccamera and some other stores have new stock and are taking lottery entires today again!

Submission deadline is today 9pm Nov24!

You need a recent purchase history on your account from the store. So I am only applying at biccamera again.

But there are other stores that could be doing lottery today too. See the retail partner list here:

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Porcile

Fuck. Will we ever be able to just line up for a game console pre-order at launch ever again? I hate this lottery bullshit.

Last edited:

Hal.

I think this happened only after the initial pre orders sold out. I was able to get one from Amazon, and the gf from 7-11 on launch but then they were impossible to find afterwards.

edit - we were both able to pre order before they sold out on the day ore orders opened (Amazon sold out in like 30 seconds)

Last edited:
Top Bottom