• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Wubby

I asked this question earlier in this thread, but just want some clarification...

So, I want to head down to Mt. Fuji, as I want to take a bunch of photos, but people have said it would be to late in the season to climb it, which was never part of my plan....

So, is it worth taking a train down there, just to take some photos? Are there are things to do around that area? Maybe I can make a day out of it...

Thanks

If you like roller coasters just go to Fuji Q Highland. There's a spot in the park on top of a hill where you can take some good pics of Fuji if the weather is clear. Unless you really want to be on the mountain itself... I'd rather ride coasters.

aparisi2274

If you like roller coasters just go to Fuji Q Highland. There's a spot in the park on top of a hill where you can take some good pics of Fuji if the weather is clear. Unless you really want to be on the mountain itself... I'd rather ride coasters.

I love coasters... so maybe I'll look into this Fuji Q place.

Thanks!!

Hello, first post in OT.

When I got my first degree, I took translation (French-English) because, eventually, I was hoping I could do English-Japanese (I knew very basic Japanese and 1 or 2 kanji at the time). I didn't really have any intentions of coming to Japan until my friend visited. I had bought books and kinda studied several years before my trip but not too seriously. During the ps2 days I started looking into importing Japanese only games and watched some anime. I read blogs about people living in Japan. I applied for a working holiday visa and got it about a month or two later. Basically, I came on a whim. Gave myself 3 months to decide if this was a move or a vacation.

I was in Japan (Nagoya) from February 2007 to summer 2010. I had applied to JET the previous year, was jerked around the whole year and eventually, taking the advice of someone on a message board, just booked a plane and a hotel and started looking for work. I found several people to talk to on Japan guide so I wouldn't be completely isolated when I got there. I decided to go to Nagoya since it's in the middle of Tokyo and the kansai area. I figured Tokyo and Osaka often rank in the top 10 most expensive cities in the world and the third biggest city doesn't so that is where I'd go. I also figured I couldn't get lazy and speak English all the time if I was not in those cities.

So for those thinking of making the plunge, It took me about a month to find a full time job, living in a hotel for about 50 dollars a day (not shared, tatami floor). It may have gone even faster as I did not immediately start looking for work. The February-April time frame is also when most companies are looking for new hires.

Was hoping to do something else than teaching because thats-what-everyone-does and went to a job agency of some sort run by the local government. The staff overestimated my Japanese ability and after an embarrassing phone call, I found a teaching job on Gaijinpot instead. First company wouldn't hire me full time as I had no experience so I worked for them for a bit while continuing my search. They ended up getting screwed by the next 2 people they hired after me and wanted me back but I had already gotten another full time job somewhere else by then. Was looking into getting an apartment by myself using a real estate agent for foreigners so I wouldn't be at the mercy of my employers. Was about to sign when my employer made it awkward for me to refuse their apartment. Was a better deal anyway. When I left that job, I had enough time and more language ability allowing me to get an apartment at a regular real estate company.

I got a girl and went back to Canada to get a teaching degree (k-6) because it turns out I had found something I enjoyed and was good at. I thought this was the only way to get a secure career. After 3 years, I am now I am looking to go back to Japan. I am studying programming (Javascript) in case that helps me get a career position. I am pretty obsessive at stuff like modding and spend more time modifying Skyrim than I do playing it so I figure I would like that kind of work. I am now married to a Japanese citizen so visas are not a concern for me. I didn't stop studying while in Canada and my Japanese is good enough to understand almost everything on Japanese tv and in games like ryu ga gotoku.

If anyone can help me find work (with long term potential) in Japan or offer advice, I'd love to hear it. My wife's family is in Nagoya but I wouldn't mind going somewhere else for a good opportunity.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is only true if your kid is a little bitch. My son steals the show anytime be walks into a room. Adults go crazy over him, kids want to be his friend, we can't even walk down the street without getting approached by a modeling agent (he's already signed to my old agency). Couple more years and he'll be the next Joy. Cha ching.

My son is still not even a year old, but I can already tell he's going to be getting a similar treatment (assuming he doesn't suddenly turn ugly!)

Walking the streets of Osaka when we were last visiting got us a non-stop stream of "kawaii" gasps from passersby.

Now I just need to make sure he has a good personality growing up!

lol at your title OP. I was going to say NOOOOOOOO.

I have nothing to add to this unfortunately. I haven't been in 7 years or so.

Ok maybe something,

DeliciousDoc said:
I got a girl and went back to Canada to get a teaching degree (k-6) because it turns out I had fun something I enjoyed and was good at. I thought this was the only way to get a secure career. After 3 years, I am now I am looking to go back to Japan. I am studying programming (Javascript) in case that helps me get a career position. I am pretty obsessive at stuff like modding and spend more time modifying Skyrim than I do playing it so I figure I would like that kind of work. I am now married to a Japanese citizen so visas are not a concern for me. I didn't stop studying while in Canada and my Japanese is good enough to understand almost everything on Japanese tv and in games like ryu ga gotoku.

If you were great at teaching, I would definitely stick with that as their technology sector in my opinion, in regards to what is paid, was lacking(personal experiences from friends. Grain of salt). Sales might even be better if you are at an acceptable speaking level.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
JOY isn't even that attractive imho

The mothers at my son's yochien all thought my wife (having looked at my son) was married to JOY -_-

Needless to say Japanese people think all half kids look like JOY. It is known.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't been watching much Japanese TV for the last few years, but is JOY really that popular? Definitely a lot better looking half-Japanese dudes out there, but maybe I just can't relate with the current generation's tastes.

matt360

Hey, no one ever says Yamaguchi! It's a nice place, isn't it? That's where my wife is from. Where did you go there?

It really is a beautiful prefecture. Since I live in Hiroshima I actually go quite often. Anytime friends come to visit I make sure to take them to Kintaikyo and Sanzoku. I also run the Kintaikyo Marathon every year. It's by far my favorite course of any marathon I've run. I've also been to Tsunoshima once, Hikari beach a few times, and Oshima a couple times. And of course I hit up the Taco Bell on base during Friendship Day.

My wife's grandparents also live in Kumage near Hikari so we go there a couple times a year.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Doesn't matter what you guys think of Joy, what matters is how much he banks. Wentz is a scrub too but there ya go. If Yuu ever got his hair together he'd be the man.

My son is still not even a year old, but I can already tell he's going to be getting a similar treatment (assuming he doesn't suddenly turn ugly!)

Walking the streets of Osaka when we were last visiting got us a non-stop stream of "kawaii" gasps from passersby.

Now I just need to make sure he has a good personality growing up!

Don't wait on the modeling, jump on it early. Unless he does get ugly..

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't matter what you guys think of Joy, what matters is how much he banks. Wentz is a scrub too but there ya go. If Yuu ever got his hair together he'd be the man.

Wentz had potential, but he's way too much of a goofball and comes across as a "nice guy."

Shirota Yuu, though... yeah for real. That guy only needs to fix his hair. Then again, he may be too white-looking for a lot of Japanese folks. He seemed to be doing really well for himself near the end of the last decade, but I haven't paid much attention since.

In regards to the modeling thing, though, my wife keeps talking about it. A bit harder when you're living in the states, but she plans to take him back to Japan at least twice a year, so maybe she'll find something soon.

Expert, you lived mostly in the Osaka area while in Japan, right?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
My son's in the states with me now too for another ~20 months, but he goes back 2-3 times as well. It's good to sign them young for a portfolio. I'm not saying they'll become a star while you're not there, but the small stuff you get can be nice. I'm honestly hoping when we go back he'll be at the right age to give it a real shot.

I've been all over..

Tokyo - bout 1.5 years
Niigata/Sendai/Maebashi - bout 1 year
Tokushima/Takamatsu/Matsuyama - bout 5 years
Osaka - bout 2 years

Our main home is Osaka but technically all our ko/honseki stuff is on Shikoku.

Fuck Wentz.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Updated list:

Who:

• Ayumi
  • Desmond
  • AllenShrz
  • CHusson91
  • Mercurio
  • AlabastreAizo
  • Geobobfrank
  • m3r4
  • BombStrike
  • OddMorsel + 3
  • ElectricKaibutsu + wife
  • Evilore
  • Gromph
  • Jijidasu picture.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Speaking of modeling... If you're a foreign student on a scholarship here for an extended period of time, get a part time work permit (it takes a week after applying iirc) and join a modelling agency.
If you're lucky, you'll get gigs that pay 100k for a day, if you're less lucky, like me, there's still a chance for 10k yen for a few hours of work.
During my scholarship year I joined one agency with a friend thinking "why the hell not, it's really cheap". Despite being able to work only on weekends because of my classes, I got 2 gigs - one payed 10k for 2 hours of work, the other 10k for about half of a day, but some of the offers that came in, like a short Canon ad, were in the 100k range for a day.
It's also a great way to meet new people and "celebrities" (I met some of the AKB girls and they are really nice in person).
As for the agencies, I used Free Wave and I guess I can recommend it, but I haven't heard anything about the others.

Priz

You should definitely go check out the Capcom store in Odaiba. It's in the AquaCity mall. And the Gundam Front at DiverCity if you're interested in Gunpla.
Where is this Capcom store exactly? I remember many things about the mall, including a Noitamina pop-up store which had Psycho-Pass & Anohana movie stuff in it when I was there, King of the Pirates and such... but no Capcom store...

Oh, I almost forgot:
P1000052.JPG

Mik2121

You guys should include what you're doing here (for work or whatever) as well maybe. More interesting than hotto motto ( ≖‿≖)

I used to work as an Environment Artist at CyberConnect2. Now I work as one at PlatinumGames.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Needless to say Japanese people think all half kids look like JOY. It is known.

I was about to say neither of my kids look like Joy, then i remember that technically they are only 1/4 japanese.

They're in for some fun :
eldest is blonde, blue eyed and built like a rake and looks nothing like a Japanese , though speaks Japanese and English

youngest is dark haired, with brown eyes, gurgles at the moment, but for his age is built like a frigging tank, but looks way more asian than his brother.

No one is going to think they are related. I doubt modeling is in eithers future outside of Tamiya ;)

Desmond

Speaking of modeling... If you're a foreign student on a scholarship here for an extended period of time, get a part time work permit (it takes a week after applying iirc) and join a modelling agency.
If you're lucky, you'll get gigs that pay 100k for a day, if you're less lucky, like me, there's still a chance for 10k yen for a few hours of work.
During my scholarship year I joined one agency with a friend thinking "why the hell not, it's really cheap". Despite being able to work only on weekends because of my classes, I got 2 gigs - one payed 10k for 2 hours of work, the other 10k for about half of a day, but some of the offers that came in, like a short Canon ad, were in the 100k range for a day.
It's also a great way to meet new people and "celebrities" (I met some of the AKB girls and they are really nice in person).
As for the agencies, I used Free Wave and I guess I can recommend it, but I haven't heard anything about the others.
Christ! I might jump on that.

Btw, what scholarship did you get?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I added some questions at the bottom if people want to answer.

Ooooh I love questions :p

What made you interested in Japan?
Naruto, Cowboy Bebop and Capcom games

Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?)?
Because I was getting sick and tired of not being able to order at McDonalds in Tokyo. :X

Are you currently living in Japan?
Yes, in Osaka.

How long have you lived in Japan?
10 years now!

What is your favorite Hotto Motto meal?
Only heathens go to Hotto Motto. I'm an Origin Bento kind of man.

What is your favorite place in Japan?
I'm fond of Arashiyama. Very chill place with nice scenery.

What is your favorite Japanese food & drink?
Gyoza + Nama combo is the best thing ever. I love sake a lot more but obviously beer is something I can drink everyday. Sake is usually with the in-laws.
Other foods I dig; Japanese curry, katsudon, dem onigiris.

What is your favorite season to be in Japan?
Autumn for sure

Where are you from, and which languages do you speak? (conversational and above)
Toronto, English and Japanese

What should we call you if we ever met you IRL?
Ando-kun. :p

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Christ! I might jump on that.

Btw, what scholarship did you get?
MEXT for Japanese Studies Students.
Only heathens go to Hotto Motto. I'm an Origin Bento kind of man.
Bith if them have nothing on Wakana, but I have all 3 near my house so I can choose nased in my mood. :3

Desmond

Ah I see. I'm on a different scholarship.

Christ that thread title is a mess on mobile,
unless it's intentional?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

unless it's intentional?
It doesn't matter. A student visa should allow for part time job (limited to x hours per week) if you get a permit.
Just check with a teacher if your scholarship term don't forbid working or something.

And yeah, title is a mess on mobile.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

unless it's intentional?

Oh wow, true, the thread title on mobile is all messed.

It doesn't matter. A student visa should allow for part time job (limited to x hours per week) if you get a permit.
Just check with a teacher if your scholarship term don't forbid working or something.

And yeah, title is a mess on mobile.

So weid.

And is so random,

よろしくお願いします

MightyKAC

Hey everyone, I had no clue this thread existed until today and it's really awesome to see so many fellow gaffers living here in Japan.

Anyways on to the details...

What made you interested in Japan? For pretty much the same reason as everyone else. Anime, Video games, great food and nice people. What made me wanna stay however was how at home and at peace I've always felt here. A friend of mine put it best when he said "You what happens when people can't have nice things, right? Well Japan is the exact OPPOSITE of that."

Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?)? I don't know the language NEARLY as well as I should. This year however I plan to change that.

Are you currently living in Japan? Yup I'm currently living in Fussa which is about an hour from Tokyo by train

How long have you lived in Japan? Going on 7 years

What is your favorite place in Japan? As of right now tossup between Akihabara and Shibuya

What is your favorite season to be in Japan? Definitely Fall....

Where are you from, and which languages do you speak? From USA (Milwaukee, WI) and I'm only fluent in english (for now)

What should we call you if we ever met you IRL? Call me KJ

Also I'm totally down for a GAF meet up if there are still slots open for it.

SKINNER!

Banned
Oh, I almost forgot:
P1000052.JPG

OMG! :( Why didn't I know about this? :(

Not sure about the Capcom store but I visited that Capcom bar...Food was...ok. Looks great but tasted a bit standard. Entertainment was fun though but I got the sense that I'd have enjoyed it more if I understood Japanese. Hosts were kind enough to translate into English so my friend and I were grateful for that :) Go in with low expectations.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Did the Ghibli museum this morning. Wow they really pack the place.

After that went to Akano Broadway and found more stuff I was looking for there than I did in Akihabara.

Desmond

Spent the whole day in the Akasaka/Skytree vicinity.

Witness something I never hope I see again. Some poor man went into cardiac arrest in a Lawson.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Did the Ghibli museum this morning. Wow they really pack the place.

After that went to Akano Broadway and found more stuff I was looking for there than I did in Akihabara.

Jibri museum is the worst except for that rotoscope or whatever it's called.

Kaworu

I didn't expect so many Spaniards in JGAF! I'm from Spain too and I will answer the questionary latter but I'm gonna be in Tokyo in some weeks.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
What made you interested in Japan?

The culture, language, food, and of course...video games, manga/anime, and all that other nerd goodness.

Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?)?

Was interested in going over there and was a more appealing language to study than Spanish, French, German, etc.

Are you currently living in Japan?

Nope. Moved back to the States at the end of 2008.

How long have you lived in Japan?

Was living there from August 2005-December 2008, on the JET Programme.

Never had it!

What is your favorite place in Japan?

For stuff to do, Tokyo. But I was in Ishikawa-ken and Kanazawa-shi feels like a second home to me now. I also met my wife there, so it's pretty special.

What is your favorite Japanese food & drink?

I'm pretty simple...just give me some good nigiri and I'm happy. Loved kaiten-zushi and ramen places for a quick bite. Don't drink alcohol, but my favorite soda is Fanta Melon, if that counts.

What is your favorite season to be in Japan?

Late spring and fall, pretty much for the same reasons already stated here.

Where are you from, and which languages do you speak? (conversational and above)

Atlanta, GA, USA. I speak English and some Japanese. I need to study more-- my kanji reading skills are horrible.

What should we call you if we ever met you IRL?

Will let you know if we ever meet!

I also wouldn't mind living in Japan again. My wife is Japanese, so getting a visa wouldn't be a problem, but I'm not interested in teaching English again and my language skills aren't anywhere near good enough to work in an environment where people only speak Japanese. Would actually be fine with living in her home town, but there's very little work there. It's a nice place and pretty quiet/relaxed. Haven't been back for a visit in four years. We're likely going to go next year.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Jibri museum is the worst except for that rotoscope or whatever it's called.
Indeed that big diorama animated rotoscope thing was really cool, and I enjoyed the movie, and the mockup of the workshop with all the watercolors and sketches, but overall it was a bust. Too many people, not enough to see, gift shop that was too crowded so you couldn't be exploited even if you wanted to, and strict camera rules made the place pretty weak.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Going to Kyoto this weekend. Still need recommendations for places to find odd and rare anime, gundam, macross, and rpg video game related stuff.

Indeed that big diorama animated rotoscope thing was really cool, and I enjoyed the movie, and the mockup of the workshop with all the watercolors and sketches, but overall it was a bust. Too many people, not enough to see, gift shop that was too crowded so you couldn't be exploited even if you wanted to, and strict camera rules made the place pretty weak.

At what time of the day did you go?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Poking around, this seems like the easiest choice for a prepaid data sim: http://www.so-net.ne.jp/prepaid/en/

Don't need to order in advance. LTE supported and all SIM sizes available. Lots of pickup locations including the airports. Refillable with reasonable rates. Looks a lot better than the options listed in the OP here.

Blablurn

Where is this Capcom store exactly? I remember many things about the mall, including a Noitamina pop-up store which had Psycho-Pass & Anohana movie stuff in it when I was there, King of the Pirates and such... but no Capcom store...

Oh, I almost forgot:
P1000052.JPG

fuck. i need to go back.

Ayumi

Poking around, this seems like the easiest choice for a prepaid data sim: http://www.so-net.ne.jp/prepaid/en/

Don't need to order in advance. LTE supported and all SIM sizes available. Lots of pickup locations including the airports. Refillable with reasonable rates. Looks a lot better than the options listed in the OP here.

This is great, and much more cheap than B-Mobile. People need to be really aware of this though:

The SIM card is provided to you on a loan basis. A fee of 3,000 yen (plus tax) will be charged for lost or damaged SIM cards.

If you have an iPhone 5s or iPhone 5c, you must install the APN profile from the following website beforehand via a wireless LAN or other Internet connection.
http://www.so-net.ne.jp/prepaid/i/
Visit the page using Safari on your iPhone.

Your service will be canceled if you do not refill your account within 14 days of the day after you use up your remaining data.

Top Bottom