• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Landscape after 6 months. Pictures with differences inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-BLITZ-

I case that it was posted already please lock the thread, although I made a search in all 27 pages.

The pictures represent the differences of 3 months and 6 months after the earthquake. I must say I haven't seen such cleaning from the tragic event of Katrina even so I don't remember how long it took to restore the lands. Even the water in the 5th picture looks so clean. I can say in case if some earthquake will hit us since 77' I can declare myself a wastelander of Fallout in the next 10 years.

Congratulations and respect to them.

earthquake-combo-photos-01.jpg

earthquake-combo-photos-02.jpg

earthquake-combo-photos-03.jpg

earthquake-combo-photos-04.jpg
earthquake-combo-photos-05.jpg
earthquake-combo-photos-06.jpg

earthquake-combo-photos-07.jpg
earthquake-combo-photos-08.jpg
earthquake-combo-photos-09.jpg

earthquake-combo-photos-10.jpg
earthquake-combo-photos-11.jpg
earthquake-combo-photos-12.jpg

earthquake-combo-photos-13.jpg
earthquake-combo-photos-14.jpg
earthquake-combo-photos-15.jpg

Ydahs

It is awesome, especially the cleaning of the polluted bays.

But I think it has been posted before. Whether it was in its own thread or the main one, I can't remember.

Zaptruder

Banned
The debris has been cleared away and basic vegetation has regrown.

There hasn't actually been significant rebuilding yet.

eastmen

Banned
Katriana did damage over a much larger area of land and alot of that land was bellow sea level. Its really not fair to compare the two

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
holy shit at the airport. i thought it was a flooded waterpark at first

question though, ive noticed that theyve left a few ships in their landlocked positions. is there a reason for this?

CiSTM

Banned
It should also be mentioned that many of the destroyed sites have no reconstrucion plans at all and probably won't for a long time. Nontheless amazing work.

-BLITZ-

Yes, this is just the cleaning, putting all things in order. When the rebuilding will start that is what I really want to see in the next year.

sarcastor said:
i was totally waiting for this photo to pop up

vlcsnap-2009-08-18-23h05m10s47.jpg

That was 2 years ago, Japan earthquake was this year.

Still waiting for transformable fighter jets Japan, anytime you guys are ready

DennisK4 said:
[
Love that one.

The absurdity of everything being cleaned, but the boat still being there made me laugh.

Amazing pictures, the devastation still surprises me, even though I watched it happen live here on neogaf.

eastmen

Banned
Dead Man said:
I think you may be getting a bit defensive, man.

Not really , i only stated that it wasn't fair to compare the two events because katrina cause damage over a much larger area of land and that some of th eland was under water.

Someone posted what and i explained

Slavik81

Parallax said:

question though, ive noticed that theyve left a few ships in their landlocked positions. is there a reason for this?
Compare the size of that white, red and blue ship to the buildings in the photo. It's 3 stories tall and as long as a city block. Safely moving something like that is a tremendous effort.

They braced it so it wouldn't fall over and called it a day. The effort required vs the payoff they get from removing it is vastly lower than most other tasks they could work on.

strata8

eastmen said:
Not really , i only stated that it wasn't fair to compare the two events because katrina cause damage over a much larger area of land and that some of th eland was under water.

Uh, no one is comparing anything. You're the one who brought it up.

eastmen

Banned
NotTarts said:
Uh, no one is comparing anything. You're the one who brought it up.

Sure , I guess I just imagined this in the OP

I must say I haven't seen such cleaning from the tragic event of Katrina even so I don't remember how long it took to restore the lands.

Dead Man

eastmen said:

Meh, it is a natural comparison, major storm flooding with tsunami flooding. Amazing pics either way.

dejay

Banned
Earthquakes and tsunami have, in part, shaped the Japanese psyche. I'm not surprised by their resilience.

big_z

the Japanese are incredibly efficient. where i live it would take six months just to fix a blocks worth of sidewalk.

McNei1y

These are simply amazing. Great job by everyone. My favorite one is the coast picture with all the garbage. Then in the 6 month picture the water looks incredibly beautiful.

I have to say I am very impressed by the Japanese. No looting, no violence.

Instead people are coming together and helping one and other and rebuilding the country.

-BLITZ-

eastmen said:
Sure , I guess I just imagined this in the OP

I understand that you post this because I made a comparison between this and Katrina. I don't know if I wrote wrong or incorrect, but I didn't mention or gave any comparison between these two tragic events. The fact that I was viewing the picture of Japan half hour ago, I was wondering 'how such thing manage to happen, I never saw such catastrophic proportions' when I remembered about Katrina event as well. If I was writing 'I never saw such cleaning anywhere in the world' you would come to say how I could possible forgot about Katrina.

I open the topic not to compare things, this all about how people together can manage to do such incredible things after a tragic even in such small time.

Indeed, I don't know why did you bring this up. You see the wrong part here.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Shadow of the BEAST said:

Instead people are coming together and helping one and other and rebuilding the country.
it's a different culture. I've heard that it isn't that uncommon for street vendors to leave their stands unattended and people leave the correct change for flowers (or whatever it is they buy)

dunno how much of that is bullshit though

eastmen

Banned
because you did compare it to katrina and i gave you the reason why the clean up with katrina was as slow as it was (aside from goverment screw ups)

-BLITZ-

I'm still interested to see how the Nuclear Plant and the surroundings near it looks now, though I haven't found any picture.

angelfly

Shadow of the BEAST said:

There was a bit of looting. I also read a story about people getting together to find and beat looters.

strata8

eastmen said:
because you did compare it to katrina and i gave you the reason why the clean up with katrina was as slow as it was (aside from goverment screw ups)
You're misunderstanding what the OP said. The text you quoted was referring to the fact that the OP hadn't actually seen or witnessed the Katrina cleanup and hence had no way to know how it stacked up to Japan. Not really a comparison at all.

Shouta

Parallax said:

Some of the ships that are remaining, I believe they're going to make into museums or some sort of memorial for those places.

Striek

Damn, seems like a lot longer than six months. On the one hand, my first instinct was thats enough time to clear up any debris in this day and age, on the other hand, I have badly misremembered the scale of the destruction looking at the pictures.

Well done to the folks involved, the next step is rebuilding the communities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom