• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan lines up for Youkai Watch 2

Youkai Watch 2 (3DS, Level-5) was just released in Japan and people lined up to buy the game.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201407/10056915.html

OaEkkbO.jpg

98RxS8y.jpg

QB5aqxz.jpg

BLkA3rG.jpg

Around 10 people were lining 30 minutes before the shop's opening in front Bic Camera in Ikebukuro. The shop opens today at 9:00 (usually at 10:00)

8B65465A-EA84-4C04-9552-D32A2923C3F1_zpszvdkofhv.jpg

1698839F-48D7-4C36-A947-909CE11664DF_zps1zn14yjd.jpg

Yodobashi Shinjuku

You can get a copy of the game ONLY if you preordered it.
For Genso version is before June 4th, for Honke is before May 17. If you want to buy today the game you will be put into a waiting list

yw2_g.png

Sofmap (both Shinjuku and Ikebukuro)

The game is available, but only one copy for person (so I presume you cannot buy both versions).

I also visited Bic Camera (Biqlo) but there were any problems about stock, but I think this is not one of the main shops people we'll go to buy YW2.

Some other pictures for people not living in Japan, so you can try to imagine how big has become YW in Japan in the last 9 months:

yw2_b.jpg

Beside the new title, there was a massive promotion for the DVD which will be released in the next autumn (Bic Camera Shinjuku).

yw2_e.jpg

Gadgets are everywhere... (Yodobashi Shinjuku)

yw2_i.png

And don't forget to buy your beloved medals and cards! (Sofmap Ikebukuro)

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201407/10056955.html

- Lots of Mothers lining up in the morning to buy the game for their kids
- Lots of Fathers leaving work early to walk home from school with their kids to pick up the game

ZIYXfE9.jpg
RudkrBg.jpg
WFwSorj.jpg

Released on a Thursday so a lot of people were busy with school and work, most big games are released on Saturdays for that reason.

Also, the Youkai Watch strategy guide sold more than 500k copies, joining the big league of:

1. Animal Crossing New Leaf - 730k
2. Pokémon Black White - 691k
3. Pokémon Black White - 595k
4. Dragon Quest IX - 508k
5. Youkai Watch - 505k

RT and FAV if you want Youkai Watch to be localizated: https://twitter.com/LEVEL5_IA/status/435909756339765248

f2gqy0g.jpg

zeromcd73

For people who don't read Media Create threads. This is what Youkai Watch 2 could possibly do:
These are the only games in Japanese history that have sold over 1milllion first week that aren't Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, or Monster Hunter (no first week data available for Famicom or Super Famicom):

[GB] Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters 4 - 1,228,599 / 2,210,162 (Dec 7, 2000)
[PS1] Biohazard 3 Last Escape - 1,005,020 / 1,383,282 (Sept 22, 1999)
[PS1] Biohazard 2 - 1,389,733 / 2,154,975 (Jan 29, 1998)

Also need someone to photoshop the Youkai Watch logo into this and maybe put in Asano somewhere.

3DS-It-Prints-Money.gif

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
People lined up and yet when I went to one of the big shops in Ikebukuro around 1 pm they still had plenty of copies, so I didn't have any problems with getting mine.
My coworker went to another big store in the area around the same time and bought his without any problems as well, so I'm guessing the shipment was quite big.

Nibel

This could become one of the biggest new franchises in Japan, and I'm glad that it is on a dedicated handheld.

I mean Yokoi Watch 1 still sells more than most new games for fucks sake. The sequel seems to shape up to be the juggernaut many predicted.

tesla246

Will these grand spectacles of ''people in japan lining up for a game release'' soon be a thing of the past? Either way, while nothing is certain in these dark times, lets enjoy this phenomenon while it lasts.

Interested to see numbers next week.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Really hoping that it get localized, the game seem fun and I need a replacement Pokémon type game now that Pokémon started to go downhill in gen 6.

People lined up and yet when I went to one of the big shops in Ikebukuro around 1 pm they still had plenty of copies, so I didn't have any problems with getting mine.
My coworker went to another big store in the area around the same time and bought his without any problems as well, so I'm guessing the shipment was quite big.

10 people lining up isn't very large... I mean I don't even live in a very large city and we had regular line ups for games on release date larger than that.

Foffy

Banned
according to the OP the developer wants you to beg them for localization on social media.

Level-5 America seems incredibly slow with this stuff. I have a feeling if we're going to see more than the anime - just like with Inazuma Eleven - Nintendo will pick it up.

And I think they sincerely might, seeing as at least in Japan this has become a major, major franchise for the 3DS. It would do Nintendo some favors by having more noticeable titles outside of Japan, where it seems to be slimmer pickings.

Chairhome

I wonder if the game would have as much appeal in the west as it does over in Japan. The game has very Japanese specific themes to it, which could be explained, but younger kids might not be able to relate to it as much. I'd love to see it here though.

Dmonzy

It was my favorite game in several years so... Strokes. Folks.

Agreed. It was a really good game, despite what a few haters say.

On topic though I haven't heard too much about these games other than that they are popular, I wish they weren't Japan only.

Lemmy

Banned
I wish Ni No Kuni got this kind of sales.

Tell me about it.

I'll never understand how so many shitty looking games do so well in Japan when others you'd imagine would hold appeal sell like complete ass... but then again, I don't understand why Japan seems to like a lot of the weird shit that they do, so this shouldn't surprise me.

Celegus

Did you think the ai was good?

The AI was mind numbingly bad, sadly even worse than Persona 3. Still a good game though, I enjoyed it a lot.

Didn't realize the second one was coming out already, but Level 5 does tend to crank games out pretty quick. I'd imagine it's pretty similar to the first.

Top Bottom