• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan : Nintendo stopping the production of the standard Premium Pack?

L~A

Just read this on Twitter. Apparently, Nintendo's stopping the production for the original Premium Pack, which will be replaced by the Wii Sports Club bundle.

sanstitre6hspl.png

Here's the Wii Sports Club bundle that was announced last month :

Source

HUELEN10

Makes enough sense. Would imagine they change the pack-in game every so often like they did with GCN.
The Gamepad is still a part of the bundle....The gamepad is sti-.....

317.gif
Why the fuck would the GamePad not be included? After Iwata's last talk on the matter, we are never getting a gamepad-free SKU.

L~A

Ooops... realised I forgot to put Wii U in the title (since Premium Pack = only for Wii U, kinda slipped out of my mind). Can it please be fixed (I doubt people will get confused, but you never know).

By the way, I've just noticed, but isn't the Basic bundle not available anymore, too? Looks like it, based on the screencap I made.

I find it so sad they can't even muster up a new Wii Sports for the U. Instead they repackage an 8 year old game in hopes of reviving their dying console. Yeesh.

I find it so sad they can't even muster up a new Wii Sports for the U. Instead they repackage an 8 year old game in hopes of reviving their dying console. Yeesh.

They don't seem to understand at all that a) the Wii Sports/Fit phenomenon was a flash-in-the-pan and those customers are probably never coming back, and b) when most of these needs are catered for by smartphone games, nobody wants 2 or 3 different kinds of controller or peripheral in order to get the best experience from a game. It honestly confounds me that some Wii U games still need the Wiimote. In which case, what's the point of the fucking Gamepad?!

cacildo

Makes sense

What dosent makes sense is:

Last gen the when you get a Wii you also get a free game: wii sports!

Now (in japan) when you get a WiiU you also get a free game: wii sports!

Will it be available in black too?

What dosent makes sense is:

Last gen the when you get a Wii you also get a free game: wii sports!

Now (in japan) when you get a WiiU you also get a free game: wii sports!

Hey, Wii Sports was not bundled in Japan or Korea

hodgy100

The Gamepad is still a part of the bundle....The gamepad is sti-.....

317.gif

are you daft? not including the pad with the WiiU would be like not including a DS4 with the PS4.

While technically the console can be re-worked to not require it, many games require the WiiU pad (ZombiU, W101 etc.) , its existence and continued inclusion in the SKU is more justified than the inclusion of the kinect in the xbox one.

69wpm

With that headline people will come in here expecting Nintendo to drop the Wii U :/

Anyway. I don't understand why they're releasing these bundles before the other 2 sports games are finished. Will they be offered for free later? It just seems rushed to me.

Ein Bear

If you get rid of the GamePad, you're basically left with a PS3 with fewer features. And half the games on the system no longer work. They're not dropping it.

So if you wanted 32GB black and Japanese you need to get a move on basically...or could there be a black bundle in the future.
Makes enough sense. Would imagine they change the pack-in game every so often like they did with GCN.
I remember when the game boy player was the pack in game.

As long they are no exclusive pack in games this time. In Europe we had two; Pokemon Box and Zelda Collectors edition (the Club Nintendo was terrible then so even if you did get enough points the things were in stock for a nanosecond in the UK). Mario U + Luigi U I guess means it already happened but it is less comparable.

L~A

With that headline people will come in here expecting Nintendo to drop the Wii U :/

Anyway. I don't understand why they're releasing these bundles before the other 2 sports games are finished. Will they be offered for free later? It just seems rushed to me.

Well, err... no? What would you have me write? Nintendo's stopping the production of the standard Premium Pack, hence the title.

If I hadn't mentionned "standard", I'd understand.

As for why they aren't waiting... no idea, actually! But first of all, we need to know when the other 2 sports are coming to begin with :D

Yado

Given the way this game was released and what it offers, I can't imagine why you would think this is what they wanted to revive the Wii U with. Is it available as anything other than a download only title?

Eusis

The last 2 years have taught you guys nothing, aye.
Wasn't sure if that prior post was serious or poking fun at the people who keep complaining.

Seriously, it'll be a mess to go scrapping it from the system at this point, better to just move on to the next system than take it out now. Especially since in another year they might even be in a good position to challenge Sony and Microsoft on an affordable, similarly powered console. But then those coming in two years late usually have no chance at relevancy so they're in a really awkward position period.

Ansatz

?

They added online modes, a cool leaderboard feature (club theme) and wm+ based tennis is a first. By what definition is this a repackaged version of an old game?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They added achievements like those found in Resort.

So the same games then.

Sounds like a desperate attempt at recapturing the casual / nongamer crowd that bought into the Wii hype. A Mariokart bundle would make more sense to me.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So the same games then.

Sounds like a desperate attempt at recapturing the casual / nongamer crowd that bought into the Wii hype. A Mariokart bundle would make more sense to me.

How can they sell a Mario Kart bundle if there is no Mario Kart game to bundle?

RaikuHebi

Banned
Does anyone reckon if they had Wii Sports Club plastered on the boxes like that since the beginning that they'd have done better? The general public already knows about Wii Sports and what not, perhaps something like that would've legitimised the WiiU to them?

So the same games then.

I agree. They might have tweaked and improved the games, but they're still the same games that were launched years ago.

Ansatz

So the same games then.

It's the same game in that it's still Tennis and not bob sled, but in that case Fifa 14 is also repackaged version of Fifa 04 and not a new game.

And why desparate? Wii Sports Club was pitched as an experimental new business model, not as their huge E3 secret.

So many predetermined stances, yikes. Nintendo related discussions are always of low quality here.

lewisgone

I've been replaying some Wii Sports Resort recently and it's so much fun. It's a shame that Wii Sports Club isn't really anything new. I would have loved to see a return to an HD Wuhu island with some new sports maybe involving the Gamepad.

Golf seems to have had the most interesting changes (and also has Resort courses now) but has never been my favourite Wii Sport. It was fun angling the club on the ground when I tried out the demo.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Does anyone reckon if they had Wii Sports Club plastered on the boxes like that since the beginning that they'd have done better? The general public already knows about Wii Sports and what not, perhaps something like that would've legitimised the WiiU to them?

Problem is how does another Wii Sports really convince someone the Wii U does something their current setup doesn't do? But they probably should have had a Wiimote included since technically the packin game of Nintendoland couldn't even be played in full without one.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
How can they sell a Mario Kart bundle if there is no Mario Kart game to bundle?

I guess what I'm saying is if I were them I'd have just held off and did a Mariokart bundle instead. It's a brand new game in what has been a super successful franchise, as opposed to rewarmed been there done that.

Top Bottom