• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Physical Charts: Week 43, 2022 - PS5 outsells the Switch

Nautilus

Banned
Do we have Bayonetta launch week sales for the previous entries (not only the Switch ones)?
Bayo 2 did 39k. Don't know about the first.

You also need to remember that, unlike when Bayo 2 released, digital represents around 50% of the total sales. So Bayo 3 in japan should be at 80k.

Not to mention that Bayonetta was always a franchise that sold the most in the west.

Graph by Hiska-Kun from InstallBase

2022-11-03-14-05-20.jpg

After week 44

2022:
3.64 million
2021: 4.34 million
2020: 4.40 million
2019: 2.91 million
2018: 1.98 million
2017: 2.11 million

Caio

Great numbers for PS5 in Japan ! I'm also expecting PS5 number one in NA in october and November. We'll see soon.

For people saying " Good job Jim":

It only took 2 years for them to sell only this, and it took Nintendo having an aged Switch(6th year on the market) and a especially bad week to beat it.

So yeah, great job Jim LOL
It's almost like Sony can't sell the units they actually intended due to production issues.

But you knew that already right?

Apparently this is just as big deal as xbox outselling ps in Japan?

OP has highlighted it in thread title like some sort of achievement.

Nautilus

Banned
Oh no it can't be due to chip shortages that the entire worlds been facing?
Including Nintendo?

But anyways, that didn't stop Sony from selling 25 million units worldwide just fine, on pace(or close enough) to the PS4.

And the PS5 software continues to be horrendous.
Chip shortage didn't help, but that ain't why PS5 are selling badly there. Sony stopped carring about the country.

Nautilus

Banned
It's almost like Sony can't sell the units they actually intended due to production issues.

But you knew that already right?
That didn't stop Sony from selling 25 million units worldwide just fine, on pace(or close enough) to the PS4.

And the PS5 software continues to be horrendous, showing that the problem is not just console availability.

Chip shortage didn't help, but that ain't why PS5 are selling badly there. Sony stopped carring about the country.

shiru

Banned
Including Nintendo?

But anyways, that didn't stop Sony from selling 25 million units worldwide just fine, on pace(or close enough) to the PS4.

I think it's strange Sony can produce only 2k PS5s one week, then 20k the next. They need to sort that out.

:messenger_winking:

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
I didn't know digital game sale on Switch achieved 50%, I thought it was way lower.
We know that based on Splatoon 3 sales data provided by Nintendo. At launch week, Nintendo said that Splatoon 3 sold 3.5 million, but physical was ~1.9 million. That means that almost 50% of sales were digital.

So its (somewhat) safe to assume that most first party titles will have a similar ratio.

Nautilus

Banned
Apparently this is just as big deal as xbox outselling ps in Japan?

OP has highlighted it in thread title like some sort of achievement.
First time Sony outsold Nintendo since the PS5 launched, if I'm not mistaken.

It did it in a lame way, but it did.

jm89

Including Nintendo?

If nintendo had any stock shortage through the year it was no where near close to what sony had.

Sony sold 25 million, but could sold more in places like japan.

Yes sony selling as inconsistently is because of stock shortages, they are selling everything they got.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
I think it's strange Sony can produce only 2k PS5s one week, then 20k the next. They need to sort that out.

:messenger_winking:
?

Its not that they only produced 2k one week, and 20k the other. Sony decided to only SHIP 2k one week, and 20k the other. If they wanted, they could ship way more than that.

Its only that they have deemed the US and Europe more important than Japan. A correct decision to be sure if you look at the console's software sales, but it doesn't change the fact that Japan is at the bottom of their priority list.

shiru

Banned
?

Its not that they only produced 2k one week, and 20k the other. Sony decided to only SHIP 2k one week, and 20k the other. If they wanted, they could ship way more than that.

Its only that they have deemed the US and Europe more important than Japan. A correct decision to be sure if you look at the console's software sales, but it doesn't change the fact that Japan is at the bottom of their priority list.
Right. sigh

Nautilus

Banned
If nintendo had any stock shortage through the year it was no where near close to what sony had.

Sony sold 25 million, but could sold more in places like japan.

Yes sony selling as inconstantly is because of stock shortages, they are selling everything they got.
And? Nintendo went through shortages early in its life. But it was nowhere as badly as PS5 shortages are.

What is actually happening is that Sony have deemed the US and Europe more important than Japan. Sony could have easily shipped more to Japan, considering the PS5 total sales, but they didn't. A correct decision to be sure if you look at the console's software sales, but it doesn't change the fact that Japan is at the bottom of their priority list.

For people saying " Good job Jim":

It only took 2 years for them to sell only this, and it took Nintendo having an aged Switch(6th year on the market) and a especially bad week to beat it.

So yeah, great job Jim LOL

Good Job Jim!

Last edited:

yazenov

Bayonetta 2 sold 38,828 launch week in 2014. I's actually an increase, and with the much higher digital ratio a decent increase.
https://gamingbolt.com/media-create...os-crosses-1-million-units-bayonetta-2-debuts

I mean, sure part 3 is an increase over part 2 but both of them bombed hard compared to the 1st title. Going from 199,000 to 38,828 is a disaster for the series no matter how you slice it. And it was released on a failed system, the Wii U with its tiny userbase so the results are not surprising.

What is surprising is the shit sales of Bayonetta 3 and the tiny growth compared to part 2 which bombed hard. Having a slight increase over part 2 which was released for the Wii U (a dud) is not something to be proud of, especially on the Switch which has a huge userbase, much larger than the PS3 and Xbox 360 combined at the time.

It flopped even with the 30% digital ( generous for digital sales in Japan). Let's move on. No need to sugarcoat it. I'm talking numbers, not feelings.

People were too quick to write sony off in Japan, software is still looking weak af but once demand levels out in japan and everyone who wants them doesn’t have to fight Chinese scalpers to get them we’ll see an improvement.

Its obvious demand isn’t slowing down anytime soon and major AAA japanese games are releasing next year on it. By the time Final Fantasy, Kingdom hearts, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, etc. start releasing on it theres no stopping it

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned
All those people saying Japan wasn't interested in PS5, despite every unit shipped there is sold out immediately.

Now that supply is ramping up it's obvious narrative that PlayStation is dead in Japan was just wishful thinking by the usual suspects.
People say loads of shit these days.

Woopah

I am surprised only around 5 million Switch Lites have been sold. Every kid I see here in the U.S has the Lite model.

Also, at 26 million units sold overall, where does this place the Switch compared to the Wii, 3DS, DS and Playstation 2? I dont think Nintendo is losing any sleep after having to merge their console and handheld business. Their sales are 3x that of PS4.
Lite is by far the least popular model, even though it's the cheapest. People like playing their Switch games on the TV.

DS - 33 million
Switch - 26 million
3DS - 25 million
PS2 - 22 million

Cool to see star ocean doing well.
It didn't do horribly but I wouldn't say it did well either. Definitely a franchise in decline.
I didn't know digital game sale on Switch achieved 50%, I thought it was way lower.
I mean, sure part 3 is an increase over part 2 but both of them bombed hard compared to the 1st title. Going from 199,000 to 38,828 is a disaster for the series no matter how you slice it. And it was released on a failed system, the Wii U with its tiny userbase so the results are not surprising.

What is surprising is the shit sales of Bayonetta 3 and the tiny growth compared to part 2 which bombed hard. Having a slight increase over part 2 which was released for the Wii U (a dud) is not something to be proud of, especially on the Switch which has a huge userbase, much larger than the PS3 and Xbox 360 combined at the time.

It flopped even with the 30% digital ( generous for digital sales in Japan). Let's move on. No need to sugarcoat it. I'm talking numbers, not feelings.
We'll find out Bayonetta's digital split next week. It varies game to game, but expensive first party titles tends to have a very high digital split in Japan due to the voucher system.

Astral Chain for example had about a 70% digital split, and I wouldn't be surprised if Bayonetta 3 was similar. Total sales will probably by a decent amount above Bayonetta 2, while still below Bayonetta 1.

Last edited:

Oof85

People were too quick to write sony off in Japan, software is still looking weak af but once demand levels out in japan and everyone who wants them doesn’t have to fight Chinese scalpers to get them we’ll see an improvement.

Its obvious demand isn’t slowing down anytime soon and major AAA japanese games are releasing next year on it. By the time Final Fantasy, Kingdom hearts, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, etc. start releasing on it theres no stopping it
What do you think is gonna happen?

Japan goes back to what it was 20+ years ago and become Sony-land again?

Temper your expectations.

Probably more like ps3, a tepid platform that surges when relevant software lands but otherwise muted.

What do you think is gonna happen?

Japan goes back to what it was 20+ years ago and become Sony-land again?

Temper your expectations.

Probably more like ps3, a tepid platform that surges when relevant software lands but otherwise muted.

We’ll see once there is an ample supply of consoles in japan. It could be better or worse than the ps4, Nintendos next console isn’t a guaranteed success

Top Bottom