• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan: pictures of Luigi Mansion Arcade location test

L~A

Edit: new info.

Some new details are in... First of all, released is supposed to take place in Summer 2015.

-Coming Summer 2015.
-1st person perspective. Luigi does appear in some cutscenes.
-Professor E. Gadd gives the tutorial and some in-game advice.
-Based on LM2 - Gloomy Mansion was the only mansion featured in the location test. More stages in the final game.
-Controller shaped like the Poltergust (including rectangular end), two buttons (trigger + strobe). Shake left and right to suck in ghosts.
-The main unit itself had a start button and a bomb button.

Source (translations by StreetsAhead)

Just saw this on Twitter (thanks StreetsAhead for the heads-up):

B1hD_61CYAAnUov.jpg:large

B1hD_2kCYAIlYNy.jpg:large

B1hEAAFCYAArL09.jpg:large

It's pictures of a location test for Luigi Mansion Arcade, which seems to be an arcade version of Luigi's Mansion 2 (made by Capcom). Test ran for 4 days, from Oct. 30 to Nov. 3.

Why haven't we heard about this before?

Source

Piccoro

Must be from the Mario Kart Arcade team.

I wonder what is the control method? A vacuum-like controller, maybe?

Terrible photos. I can't see anything other than people standing outside the machine! This tells me nothing about the actual game.

L~A

Terrible photos. I can't see anything other than people standing outside the machine! This tells me nothing about the actual game.

Unless I'm mistaken there's a sign telling people recording is forbidden (the yellow sign with the camera).

Must be from the Mario Kart Arcade team.

I wonder what is the control method? A vacuum-like controller, maybe?

Can't be from the same team, it's made by Capcom (Mario Kart Arcade is by Bandai-Namco).

Penguin

I need to know more about this game... is it just bits and pieces of the first two games carved up into challenges?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The mission based gameplay of Dark Moon would work pretty well as an arcade game.

Hopefully a Wii U LM game isn't too far away.

Unless I'm mistaken there's a sign telling people recording is forbidden (the yellow sign with the camera).

Ah, I see it now.

I'm really interested in this, didn't know it was even being developed. Hopefully it comes to the big US Arcades like Mario Kart did.

Neifirst

Weren't there rumors of a Luigi's Mansion Wii U game awhile back? That and Kid Icarus Uprising reworked in HD would be most welcome.

Hasney

LM2, but in a higher resolution?!

I'm converting all my paper money to coins in preparation.
but they'd have to tone it down significantly, LM2 is way too big a game for an arcade experience.

It'll probably have some kind of memory card system.

Piccoro

Can't be from the same team, it's made by Capcom (Mario Kart Arcade is by Bandai-Namco).

Capcom? The last time they used Nintendo IP's was in the GBA Zelda's, right?

L~A

I don't remember them working on anything significant since then (maybe some dev. collaboration), so probably, yeah.

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting a Luigi's Mansion arcade game... I wonder why neither Capcom or Nintendo has announced anything.

DryvBy

Nintendo should let collectors buy their cabinets by special pre-order. I'd totally have one of these in my game room.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Woah! interested! is this part of their "IP leverage" tey discussed in the latest Fiscal meetings?
I hope the series will continue on Wii U too.

wrowa

What a weird thing to pop up.

I probably should go back to the 3DS game one of these days. Only played through the first mansion... It's fun, but the controls felt rather awkward to me.

nullset2

Weren't there rumors of a Luigi's Mansion Wii U game awhile back? That and Kid Icarus Uprising reworked in HD would be most welcome.

Holy shit, I'd achieve nirvana with an HD version of Kid Icarus on Wii U with dual analog control.

Please happen.

sörine

Banned
Setup looks more like it's for a lightgun rail shooter. Gimme.

Capcom did a bunch of arcade medal/redeption machines since then using the Super Mario, Mario Party and Donkey Kong brands.

L~A

So is this where the port rumors were coming from?

Interesting, I hope this does well.

No, port rumours come from a bogus listing (along with Kawashima Concentration) on one of BestBuy website (not the main one). That was back in 2012-13 (don't remember the exact date).

Not only this come from Japan, but it's also taking place much later.

That arcade game is probably never getting ported.

Jamix012

So...why would they ask Capcom to work on a simple port of LM2? Why do people think this is a port of LM2 at all?

v1lla21

Mario kart arcade is pretty damn fun, I don't think capcom made that though. Anyways, hope this comes to the states.

sörine

Banned
That arcade game is probably never getting ported.
I think it depends on exactly what the game is. Capcom's previous Nintendo arcade titles were all redemption games so obviously not suited for home releases.

Of Nintendo's other arcade licensed titles possibly suitable for home release, F-Zero AX (Sega) and Pokémon Tretta series (Tomy) saw home conversions, Mario Kart Arcade GP series (Namco) didn't, Star Fox Assault (Namco) and Donkey Konga (Namco) had their arcade variants canceled in favor of consumer only release, Rhythm Heaven (Sega) was itself just a GBA up-port, and Pokkén Tournament (Namco) is undoubtedly getting a console port. That's not too bad a ratio and it's pretty obvious why Namco's Mario Karts never saw console release (they're inferior to what's already available).

L~A

That's not a really good ratio when there's only 2 games that actually got ported (Pokémon Tretta on 3DS isn't a full game, just a companion app).

By the way, some new details are in... First of all, released is supposed to take place in Summer 2015.

Games is indeed based on LM2, only Gloomy Mansion was playable. Controller is actually shaped like the Poltergust, with two buttons (trigger + strobe light); one start button, and a mysterious bomb button on the "console".
To suck in ghosts, you have to shake the controler left and right.
And more importantly : first person view. There's some cutscenes too. So it's not a 1:1 port of LM2, though it seems to be sharing some elements (like locations).

Source (translations by StreetsAhead)

L~A pointed out this article to me: http://gamestalk.net/luigi-mansion-arcade-2/

-Coming Summer 2015.
-1st person perspective. Luigi does appear in some cutscenes.
-Professor E. Gadd gives the tutorial and some in-game advice.
-Based on LM2 - Gloomy Mansion was the only mansion featured in the location test. More stages in the final game.
-Controller shaped like the Poltergust (including rectangular end), two buttons (trigger + strobe). Shake left and right to suck in ghosts.
-The main unit itself had a start button and a bomb button.

Edit: Beaten by the master ninja haha

Top Bottom