• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan ranks their favorite Nintendo-franchises

Garou

Sources:
http://news.mynavi.jp/c_cobs/enquete/realranking/2012/09/22_1e.html
http://news.mynavi.jp/c_cobs/enquete/realranking/2012/09/22_2e.html

Men:
1. Super Mario
2. Legend of Zelda
3. Pokemon
4. Kirby
5. Donkey Kong
6. Smash Bros.
7. Mother (Earthbound)
8. Fire Emblem
9. Metroid
10. F-ZERO

Women:
1. Super Mario
2. Pokemon
3. Kirby
4. Donkey Kong
5. Animal Forest
6. Legend of Zelda
7. Rhythm Heaven
8. Smash Bros.
9. Pikmin
10. Fire Emblem

---------

My thoughts:
- No one likes Metroid or F-Zero
- Was Donkey Kong Returns THAT good, because I can't remember any other relevant DK-game in the last decade
- Where is my Punch-Out :((

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Donkey Kong for the Gameboy is the greatest handheld game of all time.They're probably thinking of that.

Where is Wario is the real question.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
DKC sold like crazy on Snes, probably all those fond memories...and yes DKCR was on hell of a comeback. Kirby is like the most underrated Nintendo mascot...he is always up there.

TDLink

What this seems to tell me is Nintendo's franchises largely appeal to both genders pretty evenly. F-Zero notably appeals to men and not to women, Animal Crossing vice versa.

TriGen

These lists seem reasonable enough. I am surprised Mario Kart isn't on either list though, considering how much it sells.

GamerSoul

Donkey Kong for the Gameboy is the greatest handheld game of all time.They're probably thinking of that.

Where is Wario is the real question.

Yea where's wario? Those damn wario ware games are messing him up lol. He is getting a consistent stream of games and he still can't rank.

Comandr

It's too bad about F-Zero and Metroid. Pikmin though-- REALLY too bad that no one cares about that, especially since there is that there new game coming out around the corner.

Is Mother really ranked that low? Aren't they still making capsule toys and keychains and cell phone charms and plushies like nobody's business? From everything I have heard, Mother is still huge in Japan.

Whatever. A number of those franchises aren't even worth bringing up because Nintendo is never going to let us see them again anyway. #jaded

GCX

Pikmin though-- REALLY too bad that no one cares about that, especially since there is that there new game coming out around the corner.
It doesn't indicate that no one cares about Pikmin. I'd say it's pretty natural that a series that has been out of the spotlight for almost a decade isn't up there with Mario, Kirby and co.

Animal Forest/Crossing is popular with the ladies outside Japan too in my experience. Several girls I know got/are getting 3DS for Animal Crossing alone.

Awwwwwwww! F-Zero made it! <3

fzerosigproject.gif

Ratrat

It's too bad about F-Zero and Metroid. Pikmin though-- REALLY too bad that no one cares about that, especially since there is that there new game coming out around the corner.

Is Mother really ranked that low? Aren't they still making capsule toys and keychains and cell phone charms and plushies like nobody's business? From everything I have heard, Mother is still huge in Japan.

Whatever. A number of those franchises aren't even worth bringing up because Nintendo is never going to let us see them again anyway. #jaded
When was it ever huge anywhere?

Anustart

I don't blame em for the fzero rankings. Sure X and GX are phenomenal, but I'm (and Japan evidently) still salty about those two absolutely dreadful mode 7 entries in the series. Terrible games.

remz

Pretty surprised about the Zelda positioning on the women's list.

A lot of (western) girls I know IRL love Zelda. Or at least Link, so it's weird that didn't cross the cultural barrier or whatever. Anecdotal evidence I know, but still found it interesting.

When was the last Mother game, and why can't it get a squeal in between the 8th and 9th Fire Emblem game?
Was just about to point this out too. Mother3 was ages ago yet Mother still ranks about FE, which is practically a yearly franchise now. Wow

Madao

well, considering the last F-Zero was released 8 years ago and no major re-releases happened unlike other series which got Wii ports, it is surprising it can still make top 10.

Zelda is high despite the bad sales. maybe that's OoT love since it is the best selling Zelda if you add up the N64 and 3DS numbers (iirc. i might be wrong there)

the others are predictable.

pants

Don't be sad! It's a racing game. I think it's pretty uncommon for that stuff to really resonate with people...
Need for Speed, Gran Turismo, Forza and Burnout seem to do okay :(

At least there is a great kart racer on the horizon! Using this post to preemptively call Samba de Amigo for all neogaf races!

PKrockin

Not surprised to see Kirby so high. People always overlook him around here but he's extremely popular.

Props to men for getting EB ranked. Thought it would be as popular if not more among women, but I guess not.

Comandr

When was it ever huge anywhere?

It's huge enough that it's still getting support in Japan when the last game was released 6 years ago, and the one before that, EIGHTEEN years ago. Many arcades still feature UFO catchers with Mr. Saturn toys, a set of collectable mini-figurines were made available sometime from late 2010 to early 2011. Coca-Cola recently did a promotion where if you buy a coke from a machine, you get a Mother 2 character keychain with it. Mother 1+2 was put on GBA, and the oft-forgotten GBA Micro had a Mother 3 faceplate.

If a company is promoting a franchise five to six years after the latest release, that's because it's still popular. Not because they're trying to make sales on the game.

Dennis

Banned
My list:

1. Legend of Zelda
2. F-Zero
3. Metroid
4. Fire Emblem
5. Pokemon

We can conclude that I am not Japanese.

- Was Donkey Kong Returns THAT good, because I can't remember any other relevant DK-game in the last decade
Jungle Beat was in the last decade though i'm pretty sure that's not why DK ranks up there, shame few people seemed to play it because it was top tier gamecube stuff and the best platformer of the entire generation (come at me!).
Plus DKCR was totally THAT good.
Good on Japan, giving DK that respect, now if only I didn't have to boggle my mind at Kirby being as high as it is, well not that boggling I guess, I always knew Japan had an unhealthy obsession with the pink puff, guess that explains the truck load of varying Kirby games over the DS/Wii.

Comandr

My list:

1. Legend of Zelda
2. F-Zero
3. Metroid
4. Fire Emblem
5. Pokemon

We can conclude that I am not Japanese.

This is a strong list. I shamefully admit I've never played a Fire Emblem game. I really hate SRPGs, and I've always been a little intimidated by FE because of it, but I guess if anyone could nail a fun SRPG, it might be Nintendo. Where would I even start though..?

Fou-Lu

Doesn't really match up with my own thoughts, Zelda will always be number one to me. Followed by Metroid, Mother, Donkey Kong and Pokemon in no specific order.

Anustart

Mine would be:

Mario
Metroid
Donkey Kong
Zelda
Paper Mario
Pikmin
Mario Kart
Punch Our
Mother
Mario and Luigi

Edit: in reply to Comandr

I doubt Fire Emblem would change your tastes I semi enjoy srpgs and I strongly dislike this series I found nothing enjoyable in the games.

I would have thought Zelda would be more popular among Japanese females. IIRC it's been said it's quite popular among American females. (Anecdote alert: All female gamers I know love Zelda a lot.)

My list:

Zelda
WarioWare
Mario
Rhythm Tengoku/Heaven/Paradise
Smash Bros.
Pokémon

Any others I may like some or most of the games, but not like overall enough to be put on the list.

Top Bottom