• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan sales week 2 of 2021: Nintendo Switch domination +44% YoY hardware, and Software +77%.

Bodomism

Banned
Nintendo is king of a declining market. Console sale will be worse and worse. So sad.
Declining?

Japanese market is blooming in 2020.

Top 5 best selling games in UK with physical and digital sales combined = 6.530.929

1.FIFA 21 - 2.182.694 units
2.Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War - 1.420.353
3.Grand Theft Auto V - 1.127.222
4.FIFA 20 - 903.810
5.Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - 897,350

Japan best selling game without digital sales = 6.378.103 with digital it's probably around ~9.5M which is bigger than the entire top 10 best selling games in UK combined.

SirTerry-T

And thank god they don't launch a portable. All those pap and vita games would have been better if made just for the ps3/ps4 instead.

Nintendo do portables and Sony do traditional home consoles. I prefer when both stay in their lane and don't directly compete. Better for everyone.
Stay in their lane.
FFS pal, videogames are videogames, even if they are played on your precious "big boys" hardware. The Japan market simply prefers the hardware and software that is coming from Nintendo and their partners, it's as simple as that.
Any fool could see when those first PS5 images landed that here we had was a console that was designed without really thinking about it's home market and it's particular needs. Bit short sighted on Sony's part, but as others far more clued up than me in this thread have suggested, Japan isnt really where Sony sees their main market happening.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Isn’t the stock problem world wide? If there are no PS5 available to buy, how can the weekly sales numbers look good?

Sony4theWin

Neo Member
Excellent sales for Nintendo Switch. Nintendo Switch maintains a solid hold on Switch sales as it is 44% up over last year for this week. Software sales are absolutely incredible, up 77%. Momotaro Dentetsu continues to sell incredibly well at 87k this week. Animal Crossing continues to sell excellent numbers, selling 45k despite it almost being a year since its release. Congratulations Animal Crossing on such an incredible success!! Ring Fit also continues to sell so strongly as well at 44k. Switch evergreen titles are doing incredibly well. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Clubhouse 51 Incredible Games in One Value Package, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Party, Super Smash Bros,. Ultimate, all see incredible sales numbers. Overall an excellent week for Nintendo Switch.

Bodomism

Banned
Digital sales in japan are bad. That's an estimation from your ass.
Animal Crossing New Horizons physical+digital sales shipment at the end of September according to Nintendo financial report = 8.1 million units in Japan.

Oct-Dec physical sales data from Famitsu - 682K units.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It’s gonna be interesting to see what Switch sells going to be once Monster Hunter Rise releases.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Switch plus Monster Hunter’s popularity in Japan and the West...

Rise =

Make It Rain Reaction GIF

Bodomism

Banned
Monster Hunter Rise and Nintendo Switch is a winning combination. I don't think many people will surprise if MHR end up as the best selling MH game in Japan.

Sony4theWin

Neo Member
Monster Hunter Rise and Nintendo Switch is a winning combination. I don't think many people will surprise if MHR end up as the best selling MH game in Japan.

Capcom will be rewarded handsomely for developing Monster Hunter Rise, and it should solidify Capcom's decision to continue making new Monster Hunter games for Nintendo systems in the future.

Kerotan

Stay in their lane.
FFS pal, videogames are videogames, even if they are played on your precious "big boys" hardware. The Japan market simply prefers the hardware and software that is coming from Nintendo and their partners, it's as simple as that.
Any fool could see when those first PS5 images landed that here we had was a console that was designed without really thinking about it's home market and it's particular needs. Bit short sighted on Sony's part, but as others far more clued up than me in this thread have suggested, Japan isnt really where Sony sees their main market happening.
Video games are video games and PlayStation is global. It has no home market. And it's aimed at the WW market not why single country in particular.

leo-j

Switch is becoming or likely already is established as a cultural object in Japan. It’s transcended from a gaming device to THE gaming device in Japan.

Nintendo Switch is the symbol of how an entire countries culture has changed towards gaming.

It will be interesting to see if this is replicated outside of Japan to the same degree.
This happened with the Wii. Switch is absorbing the DS and Wii base. Which means I am expecting a meteor like drop in sales soon, but it could mean that if Nintendo wanted to they could push well past 150 million sold because DS did 155 and Wii did 100 ish. So going over 150 is not out of the realm of possibility. Especially if switch 4K is just an upgraded dock and the same console.

Last edited:
And thank god they don't launch a portable. All those pap and vita games would have been better if made just for the ps3/ps4 instead.

Nintendo do portables and Sony do traditional home consoles. I prefer when both stay in their lane and don't directly compete. Better for everyone.
“I don’t like something so nobody else should either”

Vita is my favorite handheld of all time, and the Vita had a very dedicated fan base.

Aldric

The constant downplaying of Japanese market was fascinating to me as 6M units of Nintendo Switch were sold in a single year.
Can't wait to see them bend over backwards to rationalize away Switch still outselling PS5 in all markets this year, should be hysterical.

Famitsu reviews

[NSW] Buddy Mission: BOND 9/8/8/9 (34/40)
[NSW/PS4] Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny 9/8/8/8 (33/40)
[NSW/PS4] Fell Seal: Arbiter’s Mark 8/8/8/7 (31/40)

[NSW/PS4] Re:ZERO: Starting Life in Another World: The Prophecy of the Throne 8/8/8/8 (32/40)

Last edited:

noshten

EsKxLXFXMAE5HD6

Olive Town & Bravely Default 2 have entered the Top 50 on Amazon; the Switch version of Disgaea 6 enters the Top 100(the PS4 version is at #124)
- more than a month until Olive Town & Bravely 2 launch
- games like Olive Town usually don't have high pre-orders so being this high up at this point bodes really well for the launch
- for Disgaea 6, I don't anticipate that retailers will order more than 50K copies across the PS4/NSW for launch;

Overall Disgaea 6 will be the first real test about what type of performance we can expect for third parties. Disgaea 5 managed only 40K across the PS4/Switch in Japan, so it's a low bar to clear; the franchise has always been a niche in Japan so if Disgaea 6 manages to surpass 100K, it should be deemed as a huge success. In terms of historical performance, the debut remains the best-selling game in the franchise managing 152K all the way back in 2003. A lot will depend on WoM for this game, as the initial shipment as mentioned won't be very big.

I'm confident in saying that Olive Town will be Marvelous biggest launch when combining physical + digital, the game is trending very well in terms of pre-orders and will benefit massively from the audience New Horizon has brought to the Switch in the past year.
  1. [PSV] Kan Colle Kai (2015) - 137.201
  2. [3DS] Harvest Moon: Linking the New World (2014) - 116.922
  3. [3DS] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns (2016) - 110.597
The reception will be key to its long-term performance, but as I've said before I anticipate it will be their break-out hit for the franchise both in Japan and abroad. After seeing how Momotaro performed surpassing 1 million is certainly possible. Marvelous historically doesn't have any franchise that has surpassed 500K in Japan, so this year Rune Factory 5, Olive Town, and Sakuna have a great chance to occupy the Top 3 best selling games in Japan by them. Overall their position in the market will be greatly elevated by the end of the year, making them one of the top 3rd Party publishers - especially if Sega, Bandai & Square continue to flounder around aimlessly.

Marvelous Top 15
  1. [DS] Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness - 304.660
  2. [3DS] Harvest Moon: A New Beginning - 264.042
  3. [3DS] Harvest Moon: Linking the New World - 259.111
  4. [3DS/NSW] Rune Factory 4 - 245.857
  5. [DS] Harvest Moon: Twin Villages - 212.870
  6. [PSV/PS4/NSW] Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star - 198.804
  7. [3DS] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns - 196.088
  8. [PSV] Kan Colle Kai - 190.568
  9. [PS4/PSV/NSW] Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star Link - 177.279
  10. [PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus - 158.270
  11. [NSW/PS4] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin - 157.900 NEW
  12. [3DS] Harvest Moon: Shining Sun and Friends - 155.065
  13. [PSP] Fate/Extra - 147.911
  14. [PSP] Fate/Extra CCC - 147.911
  15. [NSW] Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town - 146.363
  • 3DS - 5
  • NSW - 5
  • PSV - 4
  • PS4 - 3
  • DS - 2
In terms of Sakuna, physical sales this week will make it the 10th best selling game for Marvelous of all time.

Bravely Default 2 will have a more difficult task as the debut actually managed very decent sales of 382K, considering Square has constantly understocked similar games on the Switch - I'm hopeful that they finally stop making the same mistake over and over again. As this is a JRPG the launch will be key, so selling more than the debut during its launch week will give us a good idea of the lifetime sales we can expect. Bravely Default debuted with 144K sales on the 3DS back in 2012

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
BD2 doesn't have the same wow factor as the previous mainline game on 3ds. I think it will struggle to match the previous entries sales numbers.

They should've ditched the chibi style characters design and doing like MHS2 with much better proportion character for much bigger audience.

Bodomism

Banned
No surprise, it looks like sales.
They should give Nintendo a special treatment for helping them in retails sales boost.

Geo stores for example is trying to lick Sony's ass by giving a positive comment on PS5 hardware sales "PS5 hardware launch has revitalize the market" with non existence playstation 5 software sales.

noshten

BD2 doesn't have the same wow factor as the previous mainline game on 3ds. I think it will struggle to match the previous entries sales numbers.

They should've ditched the chibi style characters design and doing like MHS2 with much better proportion character for much bigger audience.

I wouldn't be so sure, it depends on how it's received. I do agree that MHS2 has a higher ceiling.

noshten

Fairly insane if Software is up 50% YoY considering Yakuza and Kakarot launched in Week 3 last year, overall sales within the Top 30 were around 514K with Yakuza and Kakarot making up around 250K of this total, last week the Top 30 had sales of 442K so this 50% YoY is likely seen outside of the Top 30...

Last edited:
This switch....

Week 1, 2018: 159.636
Week 1, 2019: 225.698
Week 1, 2020: 284.827
Week 1, 2021: 312.121

Weeks 1: 982.282

Week 2, 2018: 31.189
Week 2, 2019: 83.136
Week 2, 2020: 116.301
Week 2, 2021: 167.596

Weeks 2: 398.222