• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan sales week 51: Total Nintendo domination

Bodomism

Banned
Brutal stock. But then again it was the biggest console launch of all time. Switch, DS, PS2, PS4 nobody matched the mighty power of the PS5. So Sony were too stretched and couldn't provide anymore to Japan.

They didn't need to however as their main rival has sold 8 times less. It's over already the war has been won. 2 gens in a row Sony have taken back japan!
XSX/S is having stock issues too

DS Top 20 2006
  1. Pokémon Diamond / Pearl - 4.302.815
  2. New Super Mario Bros - 3.818.214
  3. Brain Age 2 - 3.748.638
  4. Animal Crossing: Wild World - 2.485.264
  5. Brain Age - 1.991.116
  6. English Training - 1.529.618
  7. Mario Kart DS - 1.115.082
  8. Tetris DS - 985.246
  9. Final Fantasy III - 935.390
  10. Common Sense Training - 916.600
  11. Love and Berry - 778.734
  12. Tamagotchi Connection - 713.237
  13. Kirby Squeak Squad - 698.133
  14. Cooking Navi - 691.007
  15. Pokémon Ranger - 643.776
  16. Dragon Quest Monsters - 633.084
  17. Jump! Ultimate Stars - 548.474
  18. Big Brain Academy - 455.557
  19. Nintendogs - 442.223
  20. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - 417.391
TOTAL: 27.849.599
TOTAL HARDWARE: 8.358.730

DS explode into popularity in 2006, selling 8.35 million hardware and about 40 million software.
Next year will be Switch's peak in terms of Software sales, & I think it would also be the peak of hardware.
Overall Switch is following a very different sales curve compared to past Nintendo Systems in Japan:

DS Hardware Sales
  • 2004 - 1.495.593
  • 2005 - 4.151.356
  • 2006 - 8.358.730
  • 2007 - 7.167.372
  • 2008 - 3.946.585
  • 2009 - 4.159.445
  • 2010 - 2.872.621
  • 2011 - 657.815
Switch Hardware Sales
  • 2017 - 3.407.158
  • 2018 - 3.482.388
  • 2019 - 4.493.885
  • 2020 - 6.000.000?

DS exploded very early in it's life-cycle, while Switch Software and hardware IMO will peak next year.
I have a hard time picturing anything toppling 2006 in terms of hardware but in terms of Software, next year will get very close.

New Horizon & Ring Fit will continue to drive hardware demand aided by Monster Hunter Rise which should match Diamond / Pearl. From a 1st and 2nd party perspective we have Bowser's Fury, two Pokemon games(Snap 2 and mainline) & Breath of the Wild 2.

The main advantage over the DS Switch will have next year is the unknown performance of 3rd Party games, after Momotaro it's possible many other franchises blow up or return to glory.
I don't think anything can surpass peak DS sales. It was a smartphone before smartphones existed and priced like a child's toy. Those Touch! Generations titles listed in the 2006 top 20 sold nearly 11 million copies that year and some of them were being sold at a budget price.

The Switch is expensive and the games are expensive. It has a much more diverse audience than the PS or Xbox, but it's not going to steal away too many Japanese consumers who are already content playing the latest trendy thing on their PC or smartphone.

The positive side in this is that the global audience the Switch is building is much more sustainable for Nintendo. They are buying into core Nintendo franchises that will still be around for generations to come. It's the type of audience that will pick up all the games you mentioned and many more.

noshten

I don't think anything can surpass peak DS sales. It was a smartphone before smartphones existed and priced like a child's toy. Those Touch! Generations titles listed in the 2006 top 20 sold nearly 11 million copies that year and some of them were being sold at a budget price.

The Switch is expensive and the games are expensive. It has a much more diverse audience than the PS or Xbox, but it's not going to steal away too many Japanese consumers who are already content playing the latest trendy thing on their PC or smartphone.

The positive side in this is that the global audience the Switch is building is much more sustainable for Nintendo. They are buying into core Nintendo franchises that will still be around for generations to come. It's the type of audience that will pick up all the games you mentioned and many more.

I wouldn't be so sure about that DS had no eShop, there is plenty of titles by Nintendo that were impacted by their Voucher program, for example New Horizon shipment far exceeds the physical sales. When combining digital and physical sales this year we would be looking at a result close to 30 million without even counting digital only titles on the eShop which have varying price ranges. The only Nintendo game not impacted by digital is Ring Fit Adventure everything else can shift a lot of additional sales with a simple 33% sale during the holidays.
Momotaro recently had topped the eShop for nearly a month, until it was finally outsold by Among Us. It's safe to say that Momotaro likely achieved 200K digitally on top of it's impressive physical sales.

Although the DS's hardware peak is unlikely to ever be topped I'm pretty sure that next year the Switch will end up selling more Software than DS at it's peak in Japan.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Taken back Japan from what? What happened two generations ago?
The last traditional home console from Nintendo released that beat it's Sony counter part. Now admittedly it wasn't a powerful console. The HD battle was practically a tie although the ps3 did shade the 360. Now japan is total domination for Sony. No Nintendo counterpart and Xbox has faded into irrelevance.

GEO ORDERS (new + used) TOP 30 2020 (January 1st - November 30)

business03.jpg

01 - [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons

02 - [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure
03 - [PS4] Final Fantasy VII Remake
04 - [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima
05 - [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban!

06 - [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
07 - [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
08 - [NSW] Minecraft
09 - [PS4] Yakuza: Like a Dragon
10 - [PS4] BIOHAZARD RE:3 Z Version
11 - [NSW] Super Mario 3D Collection

12 - [NSW] Pokemon Sword
13 - [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020
14 - [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
15 - [NSW] Pikmin 3 Deluxe
16 - [PS4] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020
17 - [PS4] The Last of US Part II
18 - [NSW] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX
19 - [PS4] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4
20 - [PS4] Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
21 - [NSW] Paper Mario: The Origami King
22 - [PS4] Nioh 2

23 - [NSW] Splatoon 2
24 - [NSW] Pokemon Shield
25 - [NSW] Super Mario Party
26 - [NSW] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4
27 - [NSW] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
28 - [PS4] Trials of Mana
29 - [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War

30 - [NSW] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch

NSW: 19
(2017: 2 games, 2018: 3 games, 2019: 4 games, 2020: 10 games)
PS4: 11
(2020: 11 games)

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
GEO ORDERS TOP 30 2020 (January 1st - November 30)

business03.jpg

01 - [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons

02 - [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure
03 - [PS4] Final Fantasy VII Remake
04 - [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima
05 - [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban!

06 - [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
07 - [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
08 - [NSW] Minecraft
09 - [PS4] Yakuza: Like a Dragon
10 - [PS4] BIOHAZARD RE:3 Z Version
11 - [NSW] Super Mario 3D Collection

12 - [NSW] Pokemon Sword
13 - [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020
14 - [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
15 - [NSW] Pikmin 3 Deluxe
16 - [PS4] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020
17 - [PS4] The Last of US Part II
18 - [NSW] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX
19 - [PS4] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4
20 - [PS4] Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
21 - [NSW] Paper Mario: The Origami King
22 - [PS4] Nioh 2

23 - [NSW] Splatoon 2
24 - [NSW] Pokemon Shield
25 - [NSW] Super Mario Party
26 - [NSW] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4
27 - [NSW] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
28 - [PS4] Trials of Mana
29 - [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War

30 - [NSW] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch

NSW: 19
(2017: 2 games, 2018: 3 games, 2019: 4 games, 2020: 10 games)
PS4: 11
(2020: 11 games)
Geo stores is very playstation centric.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Lol that advertisement image caused a huge uproar and meltdown on gaming news section but one user summarize the best of that situation with this statement "This is what happened when there's no competition on the market"

I'm curious now, what exactly happened? :O

Brutal stock. But then again it was the biggest console launch of all time. Switch, DS, PS2, PS4 nobody matched the mighty power of the PS5. So Sony were too stretched and couldn't provide anymore to Japan.

They didn't need to however as their main rival has sold 8 times less. It's over already the war has been won. 2 gens in a row Sony have taken back japan!
Da fuq? Are you happy PS won in sales to Xbox in JAPAN? Ok, whatever I guess LMAO

MARIO 3D, Japan by Famitsu

tenor.gif

[NSW] Super Mario Odyssey - 2.166.425
[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land - 2.111.490
[N64] Super Mario 64 - 1.646.558
[NDS] Super Mario 64 DS - 1.231.891
[WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 1.046.696
[WII] Super Mario Galaxy - 1.025.664
[NGC] Super Mario Sunshine - 789.989
[WIU] Super Mario 3D World - 602.234
[NSW] Super Mario 3D Collection - 455.469

MARIO 3D, WORLD by Celine :p (last update: September 30 2020)

zyZPKsl.gif

[NSW] Super Mario Odyssey - 18,99 m
[WII] Super Mario Galaxy - 12,80 m
[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land - 12,77 m
[N64] Super Mario 64 - 11,91 m
[NDS] Super Mario 64 DS - 11,06 m
[WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 7,41 m
[NGC] Super Mario Sunshine - 5,91 m
[WIU] Super Mario 3D World - 5,86 m
[NSW] Super Mario 3D All-Stars - 5,21 m

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm curious to see how a more restricted 3D Mario game with local multiplayer will do on an actual popular console as the Switch. Looking forward to SM3DW sales.

Kerotan

Da fuq? Are you happy PS won in sales to Xbox in JAPAN? Ok, whatever I guess LMAO
If it wasn't for corona I'd fly to Brazil and hit some sexy beach club to celebrate with ethomaz. It's great to see Sony win the home console battle in japan. The only console that isn't underpowered and has good Japanese games. Not since the game cube and n64 has Nintendo ticked those boxes. But ninty know they can't compete here anymore. That's why they stay in their lane with less powerful consoles like the wii or less powerful and portable ones like the switch.

Kataploom

Gold Member
If it wasn't for corona I'd fly to Brazil and hit some sexy beach club to celebrate with ethomaz. It's great to see Sony win the home console battle in japan. The only console that isn't underpowered and has good Japanese games. Not since the game cube and n64 has Nintendo ticked those boxes. But ninty know they can't compete here anymore. That's why they stay in their lane with less powerful consoles like the wii or less powerful and portable ones like the switch.
There are many factors that makes Nintendo no go for the "power" as main feature and all of them reflect just business intelligence, not only to avoid competing in the same field than the other two.

The market for dedicated gaming devices is limited and expands not as fast the industry wish it would, and three competitors using exactly the same formula fighting for the millions of sales can reduce things to a pricing battle.

Also, using existing tech is cheaper, which means that if they fail on delivering a successful product, they can avoid lossing money playing smartly. If Nintendo fails on a console cycle, that means that they'll loose much less than Sony or MS when they do so. Profits margin are bigger too.

Nintendo could make a hit with a very powerful console, but nothing warranties that, as nothing warranties them to make a hit with a less powerfulll console, but if the concept they use sells, they'd have spent a lot less money and profit much more.

Sony and MS are much more reliant on third parties, but the games western third parties make don't appeal to most of Nintendo audiences, so even if they make a powerful console, it's not warranty of receiving AAA third parties support the same way the others two do.

There's literally ZERO incentive for Nintendo to compete with specs, but a lot for competing with original concepts.

carlosrox

Banned
I'm curious to see how a more restricted 3D Mario game with local multiplayer will do on an actual popular console as the Switch. Looking forward to SM3DW sales.

I hope 3D World sells tons so it sends a message that 3D World is very much loved and appreciated.

I want my sequel to 3D World or Galaxy. Still the two best styles for Mario overall.

Bodomism

Banned
Nintendo just flexing their console popularity muscles with that advertisement without needed to use any marketing catchphrase or text in that, just a woman lying on bed playing Nintendo Switch is enough to market itself.

Some warriors on gaming board didn't take that gracefully about the fact Nintendo has the absolute domination on Japanese video game market by throwing tantrum on twitter and blog comment section.

"This is what happened when there's no competition" is the best summary.

Woopah

Nintendo just flexing their console popularity muscles with that advertisement without needed to use any marketing catchphrase or text in that, just a woman lying on bed playing Nintendo Switch is enough to market itself.

Some warriors on gaming board didn't take that gracefully about the fact Nintendo has the absolute domination on Japanese video game market by throwing tantrum on twitter and blog comment section.

I don't understand, what's wrong with an advert of someone playing the system your adverting.

What is their specific complaint?

Kerotan

There are many factors that makes Nintendo no go for the "power" as main feature and all of them reflect just business intelligence, not only to avoid competing in the same field than the other two.

The market for dedicated gaming devices is limited and expands not as fast the industry wish it would, and three competitors using exactly the same formula fighting for the millions of sales can reduce things to a pricing battle.

Also, using existing tech is cheaper, which means that if they fail on delivering a successful product, they can avoid lossing money playing smartly. If Nintendo fails on a console cycle, that means that they'll loose much less than Sony or MS when they do so. Profits margin are bigger too.

Nintendo could make a hit with a very powerful console, but nothing warranties that, as nothing warranties them to make a hit with a less powerfulll console, but if the concept they use sells, they'd have spent a lot less money and profit much more.

Sony and MS are much more reliant on third parties, but the games western third parties make don't appeal to most of Nintendo audiences, so even if they make a powerful console, it's not warranty of receiving AAA third parties support the same way the others two do.

There's literally ZERO incentive for Nintendo to compete with specs, but a lot for competing with original concepts.
Good analysis. Personally I'm happy Sony don't have to face the challenge of Nintendo anymore. Battling Microsoft has been hard enough!

Kataploom

Gold Member

LOL it's not as if Nintendo killed them, they just don't have a product that appeal japanese market, competition has to come from someone not from Nintendo itself

I prefere my nintendo truck gif :p

edit: and don't forget, yui aragaki is famous:

"Yui Aragaki is a Japanese actress, model, singer and occasional radio show host. She was selected as the most desired girlfriend and the most desired female celebrity face on Oricon's yearly survey several times."

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
I don't understand, what's wrong with an advert of someone playing the system your adverting.

What is their specific complaint?
"Nintendo is commercializing Sex again"
"Nintendo Switch isn't attractive and there's no catch phrase for that"
"Nintendo overpaid the actress for commercial"
"Nintendo Switch has no games to promote"
"Lazy ass advertisement"
"Don't sleep with a full make up on your face"

Many people were butthurt by Nintendo Switch monopoly in Japan and the actress in that commercial was hired to promote RingFit adventure. After RFA exploded in Japan thanks to the ads that played part in contributing the sales, Nintendo continues with the same actress to promote Nintendo Switch in 2020 holiday but the advertisement managed to offend some of those people too.

Bodomism

Banned
LOL it's not as if Nintendo killed them, they just don't have a product that appeal japanese market, competition has to come from someone not from Nintendo itself
Nintendo Japan is harsher than what we thought, remember back then during the launch of PSVita where Nintendo announced Monster Hunter franchise was heading to Nintendo 3DS with MH3G and MH4.

The next couple of days reporters and journalists were questioning the head of PS division of Japan about Monster Hunter situation on Vita and this was his reply

"I don't know. You will have to ask Capcom," Hiroshi Kawano, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, told Reuters when asked about the game.

MH3G was released a few weeks before Vita launching in Japan.

MHRise next year smells something similar to what Nintendo had cooked off against Vita in the past.

"Nintendo is commercializing Sex again"
"Nintendo Switch isn't attractive and there's no catch phrase for that"
"Nintendo overpaid the actress for commercial"
"Nintendo Switch has no games to promote"
"Lazy ass advertisement"
"Don't sleep with a full make up on your face"

Many people were butthurt by Nintendo Switch monopoly in Japan and the actress in that commercial was hired to promote RingFit adventure. After RFA exploded in Japan thanks to the ads that played part in contributing the sales, Nintendo continues with the same actress to promote Nintendo Switch in 2020 holiday but the advertisement managed to offend some of those people too.

I think many of these people didn't know yui aragaki and didn't know she's been doing ads for nintendo for a year, they just want to destroy without trying to understand, sad...

photofunky.gif

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nintendo Japan is harsher than what we thought, remember back then during the launch of PSVita where Nintendo announced Monster Hunter franchise was heading to Nintendo 3DS with MH3G and MH4.

The next couple of days reporters and journalists were questioning the head of PS division of Japan about Monster Hunter situation on Vita and this was his reply

"I don't know. You will have to ask Capcom," Hiroshi Kawano, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, told Reuters when asked about the game.

MHRise next year smells something similar to what Nintendo had cooked off against Vita in the past.
TBF Monster Hunter was already on the Wii and it was just a extended port AFAIK. And I don't know what else was supposed to say Sony when it's not their own game lol

Bodomism

Banned
TBF Monster Hunter was already on the Wii and it was just a extended port AFAIK. And I don't know what else was supposed to say Sony when it's not their own game lol
After PSP era many expected Capcom to fully support Vita from the get go with Monster Hunter game but Capcom appeared in Nintendo tgs conference with 2 monster hunter games for 3DS and didn't show anything in PSVita tgs conference.

nordique

fair point but how does MH Rise follow that similarity if MH World is a thing? Seems like Capcom is positioning MH games for both switch and Sony/MS consoles

isn’t there a MH World 2 in development as well?

Bodomism

Banned
fair point but how does MH Rise follow that similarity if MH World is a thing? Seems like Capcom is positioning MH games for both switch and Sony/MS consoles

Their strategy changed after WiiU flopped and MHW commercial success in the west.

Rise for domestic market
World for Rotw

Serious question, is console gaming viewed as strictly a kids hobby over there? Like is that why all these cartoony ass low budget games sell well over there?

Woopah

Serious question, is console gaming viewed as strictly a kids hobby over there? Like is that why all these cartoony ass low budget games sell well over there?
Family-friendly games do well pretty much everywhere, even if the series are different. Where Japan has Momotaro the West has Mario Party. Where Japan has Taiko, the West has Just Dance.

Its not they it's a hobby for kids, it's that there's a big market for games which families can play together.

noshten

For sure, it was risky just expecting World 2 to be able to maintain the same level of sales.
There were two separate teams one focused on World and the other on Rise, overall this year was their most unsuccessful year in Japan in a long time.

Overall so far they saw a huge decline on Nintendo ecosystems due to not really having games lined-up for the Switch after being one of the Top 3rd Party publishers on the 3DS. Only title on the Switch that has surpassed 50K in Japan is Monster Hunter XX

Capcom 3DS Top 10
  1. Monster Hunter 4 - 3.591.334
  2. Monster Hunter Generations - 2.832.833
  3. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 2.617.803
  4. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 1.941.106
  5. Monster Hunter XX - 1.718.052
  6. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies - 370.591
  7. Monster Hunter Stories - 316.470
  8. Resident Evil: Revelations - 302.965
  9. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice - 272.591
  10. Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 201.863
TOTAL: 14.165.608

The other issue they've faced in the past few years is that Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Dragon's Dogma, Devil May Cry & Sengoku Basara all declined. While they cannot launch a game of Monster Hunter World's scope every two years. Also they weren't prepared with Ace Attorney or new IPs for the Switch leading to their worst annual result in Japan in decades.

Capcom Software Top 100 Famitsu(2014-2020):

2014 - 3.098.464
  1. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 2.381.177
  2. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 248.832
  3. [PS3] Sengoku Basara 4 - 234.995
2015 - 3.413.860
  1. [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations - 2.441.977
  2. [PS3/PS4] Resident Evil: Revelations 2 - 258.551
  3. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 191.237
2016 - 1.203.786
  1. [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations - 374.735
  2. [3DS] Monster Hunter Stories - 286.500
  3. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice - 272.591
2017 - 2.606.026
  1. [3DS/NSW] Monster Hunter XX - 1.888.350
  2. [PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard - 335.081
  3. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 - 110.941
2018 - 2.292.077
  1. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World - 1.962.221
  2. [NSW] Monster Hunter XX - 49.834
  3. [PS4] Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1+2 - 44.689
2019 - 1.285.811
  1. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne - 493.831
  2. [PS4] Resident Evil 2 - 403.833
  3. [PS4] Devil May Cry V - 189.121
2020 - 293.683
  1. [PS4] Resident Evil 3 - 258.676
  2. [NSW/PS4] Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy - 21.440
  3. [PS4] Street Fighter V: Champion Edition - 8.705

Next year I would expect them to have their best sales in Japan since 2010 when they achieved 7.19 million sales across the Top 1000 games with 49 Titles across 5 Platforms - PSP, PS3, Wii, DS & 360.
In 2010 Xbox 360 Capcom titles actually sold more than they managed in 2020.

ikbalCO

This proves how right sony was to leave Japan behind in their ps5 marketing.

Japan only care about kawaii ^_^ handheld games (and systems) for a long while now and any attempt to push home consoles in there would be waste of money.

Kerotan

From a capcom perspective you still have world doing fantastic on ps4/ps5 and pc. Icebourne has kept momentum. If world is going to be next gen only they'll want to target 2022 or 2023. Any earlier and they'll lose sales as the ps5 install base will be too small.

Woopah

From a capcom perspective you still have world doing fantastic on ps4/ps5 and pc. Icebourne has kept momentum. If world is going to be next gen only they'll want to target 2022 or 2023. Any earlier and they'll lose sales as the ps5 install base will be too small.
From the leaks that is exactly their plan:

2021 - Rise for Switch/PC
2022 - Rise G for Switch/PC
2023 - World 2 for PS5/XBS/PC

Kerotan

From the leaks that is exactly their plan:

2021 - Rise for Switch/PC
2022 - Rise G for Switch/PC
2023 - World 2 for PS5/XBS/PC
Oooohhhh I like that plan. The switch got it's version at the perfect time despite the cries from their fanboys for not getting one year 1/2 on the switch.

And again I'm happy the next mainline one isn't coming anytime soon for ps5. Same for gta v.

noshten

Rise will be a monster, in Japan alone I anticipate it will be the best selling Monster Hunter game by the end of 2021 with over 6 million. The game is dropping at a perfect time when the audience on the Switch will be higher than the PSP audience in 2010,

Week 49, 2010
PSP Hardware: 327.905
PSP Hardware LTD: 15.813.245
Monster Hunter 3 Launch: 2.146.467
Monster Hunter 3 LTD: 4.840.930

By the time Rise launches in the Spring, Switch hardware will be around 2-3 million higher than PSP hardware was when MH3 launched.

In terms of World Wide sales, I expect the game to do respectively well in the West but will be a huge game everywhere in East Asia - with around 50% of the game's sales coming from the region. With the Switch being so popular in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, China, Singapore and soon to launch officially in Thailand, Capcom will have a huge potential audience that have similar tastes to Japan. If they manage to launch Monster Hunter Rise in China in 2021, it would be huge win for them.
This is some of the reasons I think that Rise will probably become their best selling game for Capcom, especially after the PC version launches. When I see how other IPs are going to break records, I definitely see a similar future for MHR.

Monster Hunter Rise
  1. [PS4/PC/X1] Monster Hunter World + Iceborne - 20M*
  2. [PSP/3DS/WII] Monster Hunter 3 - 9.4M
  3. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 8.3M
Animal Crossing
  1. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 26M*
  2. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 12.82M
  3. [DS] Animal Crossing: Wild World - 11.75M
Mario Kart
  1. [WII] Mario Kart Wii - 37.38M
  2. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 28.99M*
  3. [DS] Mario Kart DS - 23.6M
Smash
  1. [NSW] Smash Ultimate - 21.10M*
  2. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 13.32M
  3. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - 9.61M

Coupled with the other leaked games that haven't been announced and Monster Hunter Stories 2... and Capcom might sell over 40 million software World Wide in 2021. It will be an absolutely massive year for them for sure.

Last edited:

Woopah

Oooohhhh I like that plan. The switch got it's version at the perfect time despite the cries from their fanboys for not getting one year 1/2 on the switch.

And again I'm happy the next mainline one isn't coming anytime soon for ps5. Same for gta v.
Capcom could have supported Switch sooner and better (afterall they did it with 3DS) but they're onboard now at least, which is good. I think they'll be the biggest third party publisher in Japan next year.

Kerotan

How is it dead? Those are some pretty good sales figures in the OP.
I'd expect better from switch tbh. No competition in the mobile console space and it's the successor to the Nintendo portable and non portable lines with the full support of both behind it.

Celine

MARIO 3D, Japan by Famitsu

[NSW] Super Mario Odyssey - 2.166.425

[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land - 2.111.490
[N64] Super Mario 64 - 1.646.558
[NDS] Super Mario 64 DS - 1.231.891
[WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 1.046.696
[WII] Super Mario Galaxy - 1.025.664
[NGC] Super Mario Sunshine - 789.989
[WIU] Super Mario 3D World - 602.234
[NSW] Super Mario 3D Collection - 455.469
Mario 3D sell-in (include digital for the games that had a digital version at release) in Japan:

[NSW] Super Mario Odyssey - 2.53M
[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land - 2.30M
[N64] Super Mario 64 - 1.92M
[NDS] Super Mario 64 DS - 1.30M
[WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 1.08M
[WII] Super Mario Galaxy - 1.03M
[NSW] Super Mario 3D Collection - 0.75M

Last edited:

Woopah

I'd expect better from switch tbh. No competition in the mobile console space and it's the successor to the Nintendo portable and non portable lines with the full support of both behind it.
How much would you expect? It's going to be the 2nd best selling platform in Japan of all time, so it's hard to expect anything more from it really.

Top Bottom