• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan sharts: Media Create 6 - 12 Jun

Jonnyram

1. PS2 Metal Saga - Success - 63,000 (NEW)
2. PS2 Kenka Bancho - Spike - 39,000 (NEW)
3. PS2 Soccer Life 2 - Banpresto - 36,000 (NEW)
4. NDS Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training - Nintendo - 33,000 (153,000)
5. GBA Mahou Sensei Negima! - Marvellous - 24,000 (NEW)
6. PS2 Berwick Saga - Enterbrain - 11,000 (121,000)
7. PS2 Namco X Capcom - Namco - 11,000 (121,000)
8. PS2 Killer 7 - Capcom - 11,000 (OUCH)
9. NDS nintendogs Shiba & friends - Nintendo - 10,000 (197,000)
10. PS2 Shojo Gikeiden 2 - Wellmade - 9,000 (NEW)

Hardware:
DS 32,765
PS2 27,741
PSP 21,476
GBASP 8,522
GC 2,558
GBA 623
Xbox 131

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
so killer 7 made less than 20,000

how many are gonna be ebayed/traded in from those 20,000? :p

Odnetnin

Banned
ouch. Killer7 Bombed hard.

That's what you get Capcom. Blame it on Gamecube!

Its amazing that the dogs still hit top 10 (and that's one of 3 titles) of course.

Bebpo

Banned
:lol

Ok, remember Killer 7 PS2 was like 4-5 spots above Killer 7 GC which should put the GC version at maybe 3-5k total.

After VJ2 and this bomb terribly, Capcom is really going to have to rethink their approach to the Japanese market. It's one thing for games to sell less these days, but like 60-70% of Capcom stuff is bombing hard; they gotta be doing something wrong.

Jonnyram

Current sales pattern of Brain Training:
42,000 -> 48,000 -> 30,000 -> 33,000

It still seems to be sold out in a lot of places too.

Odnetnin

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Current sales pattern of Brain Training:
42,000 -> 48,000 -> 30,000 -> 33,000

It still seems to be sold out in a lot of places too.

definitely needs pics of miyamoto + iwata laughing with DS. Maybe I should buy a DS soon. Is Pink too much for a male gamer? :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Odnetnin said:
definitely needs pics of miyamoto + iwata laughing with DS. Maybe I should buy a DS soon. Is Pink too much for a male gamer? :)

pink is the new black brah

Odnetnin

Banned
poorpsp.jpg

cvxfreak

Poor Capcom. Poor Killer7.

It would have sold 1m+ if it were on GC only.

If you think I'm serious about that, you suck.

heidern

Wow, these non games are kicking ass. Looks like DS hardware may stay steady or even go up this week. Also, judging by the dailies the psp launch may not even register this coming week.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
polg said:
what's wrong with the japanese market?
will they only buy Pokemon and Dragon Quest?

GTA sells well here :D

MrDaravon

They should have released Killer 7 at somewhere around 30 USD. I mean, I LIKE the game, but it's just not worth full price. That's just bad, bad sales there.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Japanese people are getting tired of gaming, the DVD function on PS2 really showed japanese gamers something better to do with their time. But it seems Nintendo is determined getting those people back to playing games, let's see if they can do it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Azelover said:
Japanese people are getting tired of gaming, the DVD function on PS2 really showed japanese gamers something better to do with their time. But it seems Nintendo is determined getting those people back to playing games, let's see if they can do it.
I don't think they're merely focused on getting the old gamers back, but getting everyone from your grandma to your 5 year old cousin interested in gaming.

tetsuoxb

That is really rough for Killer 7 but not entirely unexpected.

It is esoteric enough to become a cult classic - but I think I will sell mine back and buy it when it is incredibly discounted in 2 weeks or so.

What is the street price in Aki? Im sure Namco X Capcom is probably going to be heavily discounted as well.

Blackace

Azelover said:

uhhh... umm... ok?

polg

Azelover said:
I guess this could also explain why PSP ain't selling games...
though are UMDs selling well?

Odnetnin

Banned
Meier said:
Nintendogs has to be at over 400k copies sold now. It's legs are incredible.

it hit 400k @ E3. Its well past that.

say 25k per week

A rough guess all up now

450k+

Brofist

Azelover said:

Well I don't know about that reason, but it is obvious that Japanese people are finding alternative sources of entertainment to gaming, and gaming is suffering. I'd have to say a little deservedly so, as gaming is getting a bit stale in some regards.

Blackace

kpop100 said:
Well I don't know about that reason, but it is obvious that Japanese people are finding alternative sources of entertainment to gaming, and gaming is suffering. I'd have to say a little deservedly so, as gaming is getting a bit stale in some regards.

I just think their taste are changing... we are seeing more "western" games doing well in Japan. Japanese devs need to change it up a bit... gamers are still here... Every kid I teach has a GBA at the very least...

Bebpo

Banned
kpop100 said:
Poor Killer 7, it would have sold well if it didn't suck so badly.

Except that it got really high scores in all the Japanese magazines and since there is no rental market people would've had to buy the game first to find that out.

This just goes to show magazine (famitsu) scores don't mean anything to the Japanese either.

If you make a niche game in Japan there is no possible way to sell it. It can be the best game ever made, get straight 10s from every magazine and when it comes out it'll still sell 10k and disappear. The Japanese market is fucked, and there is no saviour coming.

polg

kpop100 said:
so what it is selling is actually stuff oriented to otakus (aka rpgs)...?

Bebpo

Banned
Also a step towards fixing the Japanese market would be to STOP RELEASING SO MANY GAMES.

Every week in the US there's what, 2-5 games released? And that's in a country with a huge gaming population. Yet in Japan there are like 5-20 games released A WEEK and they cost $60-70 each and they're still in an economic slump.

I dunno, to me that seems like a disaster to failure. Imagine if only 1 SRPG/RPG came out a month; add up the sales for all the various ones on the chart and you'd have a good 500k-1million seller each month. There are just too many games released so most people have to choose some and skip others. After Namco x Capcom, Berwick, Gundam DS, Eternal Mana, Metal Saga, Brain DS...who the hell has money left to buy Killer 7?

If companies want to survive they should all cancel 50% of their projects and focus on 1 game every couple of months, rather than 1 or 2 a month.

cvxfreak

Well, the DS is virtually the only system that can help Japan out of the gaming slump. DS Training and nintendogs have proven their worth so far. Nintendo's used up some of its franchises. Anime will have a go on DS. Nintendo needs to pump out more non-games ASAP - more translation dictionaries, more Brain Training, etc. An art studio game would be cool, too.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Has Japan even gotten their own "GTA" or "Halo" for this generation, yet? Yes, DQ, FF, and all the usual suspects have performed to expectations (just as Madden does in the US), but they haven't received a breakthrough new property for this generation yet (Onimusha and Kingdom Hearts are the closest, but they're not really 'close' at all).

Japan software release lists have been painfully boring for the past five years.

Bebpo

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Well, the DS is virtually the only system that can help Japan out of the gaming slump. DS Training and nintendogs have proven their worth so far. Nintendo's used up some of its franchises. Anime will have a go on DS. Nintendo needs to pump out more non-games ASAP - more translation dictionaries, more Brain Training, etc. An art studio game would be cool, too.

I don't think Handhelds doing well as Console sales are dropping is saving anything. If Japan becomes almost solely a handheld market, than most companies will start making 90% handheld games and the console market will become dominated by western companies.

mashoutposse said:
Has Japan even gotten their own "GTA" or "Halo" for this generation, yet? Yes, DQ, FF, and all the usual suspects have performed to expectations (just as Madden does in the US), but they haven't received a breakthrough new property for this generation yet (Onimusha and Kingdom Hearts are the closest, but they're not really 'close' at all).

Japan software release lists have been painfully boring for the past five years.

Onimusha 1 & 2 and Kingdom Hearts both did really well, but Onimusha 3 killed the series in Japan.

Also I think it's very wrong to say Japanese 'release lists' have been boring this generation as there have probably been 5-10x the amount of original exciting unique games this generation developed in the east vs. developed in the west.

The difference is if you said the Japanese 'sales charts' have been boring I would agree with you. Tons of original properties have come out this gen, but they all bomb and the top10-20 list is all just sequels of mainly series that started on PS1 or earlier.

Amir0x

Banned
Bebpo said:
The difference is if you said the Japanese 'sales charts' have been boring I would agree with you. Tons of original properties have come out this gen, but they all bomb and the top10-20 list is all just sequels of mainly series that started on PS1 or earlier.

Bebpo will never forgive the Japanese public for making Killer 7 a bomba.

Brofist

Strange thing is last gen a lot of unique games sold well. Games just need to be cheaper, or a rental service needs to be put in place, there's no way around it. Japanese are seemingly less and less apt to spend 7000 yen on an unproven game.

The problem with games like K7 and the VJs is that these games should have been cube exclusives period. Those idiots at Capcom pretty much killed any long legs K7 and especially VJ2 would have had by releasing it on the PS2 also. People get confuse half of the time with games appearing on the same consoles at the same time.

K7 deserves to sell well and Capcom knows the GC fanbase is very hypersensitive to exclusives which is why VJ did so well in the first place, way to ruin a good thing you idiots

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
norinrad21 said:
The problem with games like K7 and the VJs is that these games should have been cube exclusives period. Those idiots at Capcom pretty much killed any long legs K7 and especially VJ2 would have had by releasing it on the PS2 also. People get confuse half of the time with games appearing on the same consoles at the same time.

no

Amir0x

Banned
norinrad21 said:

K7 deserves to sell well and Capcom knows the GC fanbase is very hypersensitive to exclusives which is why VJ did so well in the first place, way to ruin a good thing you idiots

what

Top Bottom