• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan: SUICA cards will finally be useable on the Wii U starting July 22

L~A

If you remember, a couple of months ago, Satoru Iwata mentionned NFC payment with the GamePad (which is equipped with a NFC reader), and he specifically mentionned SUICA. Looks like this service is now available to all Wii U owners in Japan... well, almost!

Nintendo just put out a press release: service will start on July 22, and they mention you will be able to accumulate points like you normally would with the card (200 Yens = 1 point). Also compatible with "PASMO", "Kitaca", "TOICA", "manaca , "ICOCA", "SUGOCA" and "nimoca

main_image.png

There's also a special promotion where you can get a free game, by using a SUICA card (or any other of the compatible cards) on the Nintendo eShop, before the end of August. Basically, every 100 Yen spent on the eShop via a SUICA card (or similar), you'll get 30 coins to use in a game called Buta Medal (Pig Medal). Looks like you can get some money back, but not 100% sure.

Game can only be downloaded until August 31st, and takes 101MB of free space on your console/HDD. It's apparently developped by Nintendo themselves, and it's based on the Nintendo Web Framework (and jQuery).

Interesting...

L~A

can you guys in the know share what is special about these cards?

Why don't you check the Wikipedia link? ;)

Basically, it's a very commonly used card in Japan, since it's mainly used for paying train fares. It's basically another payment option for people who don't like using credit cards online, and such people are quite numerous in Japan (more than in the West).

Don't have to use a credit card?

Yes and no... at least, not online, which is the point of the card.

These cards are available at card vending machines at the train stations that allows Suica. A new card costs 2,000 yen, which includes a 500 yen deposit that will be refunded if the card is returned. The remaining 1,500 yen is immediately available for train rides, and more money can be charged on to the card (in 500 yen, 1,000 yen, 2,000 yen, 3,000 yen, 4,000 yen, 5,000 yen, and 10,000 yen increments), up to a card maximum of 20,000 yen, at similar ticket vending machines or fare adjustment machines displaying the Suica logo inside each station.

GorillaJu

Suica is a type of pre-paid card that you use to pay for train fare, drinks at vending machines, stuff at convenience stores, etc.

You can charge them at any train station.

It's neat that the Wii U can utilize them, but I wonder how they are scanned? The normal scanning device is a touch-scanner.

Jaruru

That will make payment soooooooo much easier.

No more credit card. Most people in jp have this card on hand already. Including kids :)

Everyone in Japan pretty much owns one, including kids. You use this to ride trains and buses. Kind of like a metro fare card except you can use it at convenient stores and some fast food places as well.

also, not all Japan is a cash economy so being able to pay without using credit card online makes it more accessible.

Suica is a type of pre-paid card that you use to pay for train fare, drinks at vending machines, stuff at convenience stores, etc.

It's neat that the Wii U can utilize them, but I wonder how they are scanned? The normal scanning device is a touch-scanner.

i thought the wiiupad had an nfc scanner?

BigK_201

I was just in Japan for 6 weeks, and I'm jealous of all the cool cards Nintendo has made for eShop credit. I buy my games digitally, so I don't get any sort of physical copy, but in Japan, it seems like you can buy a download card for specific games, and it has artwork for the game on the card. They're next to worthless, I know, but they would be fun things to collect.

My guess the other territories won't see this as we don't use cards as much.

Side note - one thing I'm not jealous about are Japanese game prices. Some 3DS games cost ~$50 or ~$60. I will no longer complain about US prices for games.

L~A

This card is a NFC card, so it just uses the NFC reader in the GamePad.

random25

It will be a good option to use, especially when Japan has transitioned to instant paying cards like these on many establishments, including public transport and convenience stores.

L~A

Will this also accept PASMO?

Missed it, but PR says it's compatible with Suica", "PASMO", "Kitaca", "TOICA", "manaca , "ICOCA", "SUGOCA" and "nimoca. I believe they're all compatible with each other, so makes sense they'd work too.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Side note - one thing I'm not jealous about are Japanese game prices. Some 3DS games cost ~$50 or ~$60. I will no longer complain about US prices for games.

You complained about the prices of games in the US? You do realize that games are cheaper in the us than they are in most other countries, right?

L~A

gah... I wish I could use my old suica on my pal wiiu. still got a few thousand yen on that thing

Yeah, that's never gonna work... unless they suddenly decide to let people use whatever eShop they want (which means it's never gonna happen...)

Ginger Whale

Neo Member
As someone living in Japan who uses a Pasmo card everyday, I can't imagine ever using it on my Wii U.

Yeah, I pretty use my Suica exclucively for the train or the occasional vending machine purchase. Though I know people who use their's for literally everything.

KtSlime

Missed it, but PR says it's compatible with Suica", "PASMO", "Kitaca", "TOICA", "manaca , "ICOCA", "SUGOCA" and "nimoca. I believe they're all compatible with each other, so makes sense they'd work too.
Sweet. Wonder if it will eventually get support for Waon, and nanaco. My only problem with PASMO and SUICA is it is inconvenient to check balance and purchase history on them. Wish they were more like ICOCA in that regard.

KtSlime

That's kinda scary from a data security perspective... Too bad most people lack awareness
What are you talking about? What kind of security is needed? Most of the cards, unless you have a teiki on it have no personal information on it what so ever, they are just digital cash.

Ginger Whale

Neo Member
That's kinda scary from a data security perspective... Too bad most people lack awareness

The cards just store money. They don't have any personal info/data on them, so I'd say its scarier to loose your card and potental hundreds of thousands of yen some people keep on them.

EDIT: Beaten......twice.

Sweet. Wonder if it will eventually get support for Waon, and nanaco. My only problem with PASMO and SUICA is it is inconvenient to check balance and purchase history on them. Wish they were more like ICOCA in that regard.

what's the difference? i lived in osaka for years using icoca, now i have a pasmo in tokyo (they weren't interchangeable when i moved here) but i only ever check either in the charge machines or when going through gates.

this is pretty cool news. i think i'll just top up my card with 10,000 yen each time instead of the 1,000 i usually do now — i like the idea of paying for stuff with suica more, just rarely occurs to me to do so. now that i can spend over 5,000 yen with a single purchase, i'll probably end up using the card for more things overall.

KtSlime

what's the difference? i lived in osaka for years using icoca, now i have a pasmo in tokyo (they weren't interchangeable when i moved here) but i only ever check either in the charge machines or when going through gates.

this is pretty cool news. i think i'll just top up my card with 10,000 yen each time instead of the 1,000 i usually do now — i like the idea of paying for stuff with suica more, just rarely occurs to me to do so. now that i can spend over 5,000 yen with a single purchase, i'll probably end up using the card for more things overall.

ICOCA offers a smart version, which can have the balance checked online, I wish I could do that with my PASMO (I have a SUICA too, but it doesn't get used too often because the home station isn't JR).

Ginger Whale

Neo Member
ICOCA offers a smart version, which can have the balance checked online, I wish I could do that with my PASMO (I have a SUICA too, but it doesn't get used too often because the home station isn't JR).

Checking balance online would be nice, especially if I were going to be using my Suica for big stuff like games but as is I don't really think it's must for me.

P.S. You can use your Suica on non-JR trains. Unless PASMO is better for some reason.

KtSlime

Checking balance online would be nice, especially if I were going to be using my Suica for big stuff like games but as is I don't really think it's must for me.

P.S. You can use your Suica on non-JR trains. Unless PASMO is better for some reason.

My local only offers teiki on PASMO, I can use my SUICA if I wanted to pay, but I'd much rather work pay for my train fare. =) I like the look of my designer SUICA much better, but nothing beats free trips to Shinjuku.

ah, cool, didn't know that. as others mentioned above, though, i kind of like that suica cards are dumb cash buckets with no identifying data. and you use your card so much in the course of normal life that i feel like i usually have a better idea of my balance than i do for my actual bank account.

Top Bottom