• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Top 50 best selling games of 2021 YTD(8th August) with platform holders and publishers market share data.

Bodomism

Banned
Top 50 YTD 2021

1. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise (Capcom) - 2.303.192
  2. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) – 1.067.953
  3. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 836.565
  4. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 647.226
  5. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 500.882
  6. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 466.442
  7. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft) – 398.986
  8. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 354.399
  9. [NSW] Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town (Marvelous) – 281.140
  10. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield + Expansion Pass (Pokemon Co.) - 266.708
  11. [NSW] New Pokemon Snap (Pokemon Co.) - 265.980
  12. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 243.347
  13. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD - 234.224
  14. [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 227.512
  15. [NSW] Super Mario Party - 222.336
  16. [NSW] Miitopia - 217.957
  17. [NSW] Monster Hunter Stories 2 (Capcom) - 205.463
  18. [NSW] Game Builder Garage - 200.100
  19. [PS4] Resident Evil Village (Capcom) - 191.983
  20. [NSW] Mario Golf: Super Rush - 161.785
  21. [NSW] Baseball Spirits 2021 (Konami) - 159.492
  22. [PS4] NieR Replicant (Square Enix) - 158.265
  23. [NSW] Crayon Shin-Chan (Neos) - 156.274
  24. [NSW] Bravely Default II (Square Enix) – 136.091
  25. [NSW] Rune Factory 5 (Marvelous) - 127.968
  26. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 123.975
  27. [NSW] Super Mario 3D All-Stars - 104.782
  28. [NSW] Pikmin 3 Deluxe - 103.273
  29. [NSW] Fitness Boxing 2 (Imagineer) - 91.326
  30. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 89.135
  31. [NSW] Human Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) - 81.457
  32. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 - 81.165
  33. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 80.508
  34. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey - 74.949
  35. [NSW] Little Nightmares II (Bandai Namco) - 72.796
  36. [PS4] Samurai Warriors 5 (Koei Tecmo) - 72.727
  37. [NSW] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous) - 65.620
  38. [NSW] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Koei Tecmo) - 62.119
  39. [NSW] Samurai Warriors 5 (Koei Tecmo) - 61.350
  40. [NSW] Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco) - 60.360
  41. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 59.165
  42. [PS5] Resident Evil Village (Capcom) - 53.953
  43. [NSW] Luigi's Mansion 3 - 45.207
  44. [NSW] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training - 38.944
  45. [NSW] Minecraft Dungeons (Microsoft) - 38.147
  46. [NSW] Kirby Star Allies - 37.954
  47. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (Sega) - 36.105
  48. [NSW] Family Trainer (Bandai Namco) - 35.273
  49. [NSW] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega) - 34.615
  50. [PS4] Scarlet Nexus (Bandai Namco) - 31.665

NSW - 45
PS4 - 4
PS5 - 1

Platforms market share

TOTAL NSW: 11.160.247 (95.7%)
TOTAL PS4: 449.640 (3.9%)
TOTAL PS5: 53.953(0.5)
TOTAL: 11.668.840

ryqBECv.png

Publishers market share

PbQaTEQ.png

Top 10 Publishers
:
  1. Nintendo - 5.003.532 (42.9%)
  2. Capcom - 2.754.591 (23.6%)
  3. Konami - 1.227.445 (10.5%)
  4. Pokemon Co - 532.688 (4.6%)
  5. Marvelous - 474.728 (4.1%)
  6. Microsoft - 437.133 (3.7%)
  7. Square Enix - 383.491 (3.3%)
  8. Bandai Namco - 259.259 (2.2%)
  9. Koei Tecmo - 196.196 (1.7%)
  10. Neos - 156.274 (1.3%)
Thanks to N noshten for the data compilation

Japan seems like a miserable place to live. Unable to come home from work due to the long hours and then cant have your own place to sit and play a game in your own space.
I imagine the Japanese huddled in a tiny corner of some tiny space clutching a tiny handheld game. If they even find the time to play.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Japan seems like a miserable place to live. Unable to come home from work due to the long hours and then cant have your own place to sit and play a game in your own space.
I imagine the Japanese huddled in a tiny corner of some tiny space clutching a tiny handheld game. If they even find the time to play.
That's a little insulting to Japan. It's one of the most thriving, technologically advanced countries in the world.

It's also worth noting the more expensive edition Switch with the TV dock is selling several times better than the handheld only Lite which is $100 cheaper.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To help support PS's decline, here's an old GAF thread and a google article.

YukiOnna

Jeez 95.7% Market share is insane and only 1 PS4 game sits in the top 20. I imagine Publisher market share for Konami is largely carried off of Momotaro Dentetsu?

???? Uh okay.

Last edited:

onesvenus

Top 10 Publishers:
  1. Nintendo - 5.003.532 (42.9%)
  2. Capcom - 2.754.591 (23.6%)
  3. Konami - 1.227.445 (10.5%)
  4. Pokemon Co - 532.688 (4.6%)
  5. Marvelous - 474.728 (4.1%)
  6. Microsoft - 437.133 (3.7%)
  7. Square Enix - 383.491 (3.3%)
  8. Bandai Namco - 259.259 (2.2%)
  9. Koei Tecmo - 196.196 (1.7%)
  10. Neos - 156.274 (1.3%)
Seeing this top ten I can't understand how Square Enix, with all it's jrpg games, and bandai namco, with all it's anime games, dropped the ball so much regarding the switch.

I don't follow release schedules but does it look like they'll finally invest in the switch soon or do Nintendo fans wait until forever for those companies to realize what they have been missing?

Bodomism

Banned
Seeing this top ten I can't understand how Square Enix, with all it's jrpg games, and bandai namco, with all it's anime games, dropped the ball so much regarding the switch.

I don't follow release schedules but does it look like they'll finally invest in the switch soon or do Nintendo fans wait until forever for those companies to realize what they have been missing?
Bandai Namco decided to drop the support for Nintendo Switch for some reasons after being the top publisher of the Switch in the early years.
SQE, on the other hand, unable to develop an exclusive mainline dragon quest game or the remake version of previous dragon quest games. Unlike Capcom with Monster Hunter Rise, SQE once again failed to take advantage of huge userbase of Nintendo Switch for mainline DQ game.

MagnesG

Banned
Bandai Namco decided to drop the support for Nintendo Switch for some reasons after being the top publisher of the Switch in the early years.
SQE, on the other hand, unable to develop an exclusive mainline dragon quest game or the remake version of previous dragon quest games. Unlike Capcom with Monster Hunter Rise, SQE once again failed to take advantage of huge userbase of Nintendo Switch for mainline DQ game.
Neo TWEWY got clipped hard when SE decided that they wanted market the game with Playstation instead of the Switch. I'm beyond sad about this.

noise36

I reckon if the series S was exactly the same but sold by Nintendo or even Sony it would be killing it in Japan.

Fredrik

Is this retail + digital?

Minecraft #7 ad MC Dungeons at #45, at 3.8% and 437k copies. Xbox is probably 0.1% share there against PS, but they've sold more games in Japan than Sony.
Yeah, Microsoft is sitting at #6 on the publisher list because of Minecraft IP alone, it’s kinda wild.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Wow, so MS sell more games in Japan than Sony? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
And Nintendo is simply incredible. They read correctly the Japanese market.
This is absolutely bonkers!

If you told someone in Japan that last gen.

whats-an-xbox.gif

And people were getting mad when that journalist was saying Sony's situation was grave in Japan.

Last edited:

Duchess

Going to be completely honest right now - When I first saw the Switch reveal I figured Nintendo didn't have a clue what gamers wanted any more. They were delivering an underpowered, mobile system, that would be going up against the PS4 / Xbox One, etc. It couldn't stand to match the visual or performance of those machines, and no one would want to drag that thing around with them (and it's got a kickstand! LOL!!!!1)

Yeah, I got that wrong! LOL! :)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
PlayStation is fucked in Japan, such a sad sight to see. Nintendo just own it. I can’t even see how they can pull it back.

Going to be completely honest right now - When I first saw the Switch reveal I figured Nintendo didn't have a clue what gamers wanted any more. They were delivering an underpowered, mobile system, that would be going up against the PS4 / Xbox One, etc. It couldn't stand to match the visual or performance of those machines, and no one would want to drag that thing around with them (and it's got a kickstand! LOL!!!!1)

Yeah, I got that wrong! LOL! :)
Switch is something else, you can’t really compare to Xbox and PS. Sometimes I have the impression that not even Nintendo expected such success and you can clearly tell that they have been super careful now when it comes to talk about new games and an eventual successor to the Switch.

Barrico82

Banned
The ship has sailed for the 3rd parties to start developing games for the switch by the time the games are ready the switch life cycle will be over.

When you look to the past 2 successful consoles world wide the PS4 and the switch and even now the PS5 you see the Japanese 3rd party always late to support, RE7 released 2017, DQ11 the first announced game for the switch released in 2019, also the biggest 3rd party IP monster hunter released in 2018 for PS4 and 2021 for switch

With such support no wonder the market is almost closed for Nintendo as they are the only ones consistent with their releases both in quality and quantity

MrFunSocks

Banned
That is a major statement from the second biggest market in the world.

The console market is alive and well in Japan. It's just all Nintendo.

Almost a complete shut out.

Edit: MS outselling Sony software in Japan? Did I just read that right? What the?
Second biggest market in the world? Japan? Lol no.

Akuji

Pretty insane that Nintendo is that dominant. Good job nintendo. With a market share like that they have it difficult to even lose any momentum, lol.
Sony will probably stop catering to japan completly if they still do it. Even if they continue to do it i dont see them having any impact for quite a while.

Scotty W

I have got a bedroom all to myself. I can play a few hours everyday if I want, and on the train if I am desperate.

Go_Ly_Dow

There are probably 10 big franchises that keep Japanese gamers interested in PS, which includes FF, DQ, KH, Yakuza, Resi, MoHun, Persona, Tales, Souls games, NieR.

FF16 may not appeal atheistically to Japanese gamers in the same way that 13, 15 and 7R did. There's also been radio silence since the reveal.

DQ12 is a ways away.

KH4 MIA.

Yakuza Like a dragon, available on PS4. Next Yakuza a ways off.

RE8 available on PS4 and next entry a ways away.

Persona 6 MIA.

Tales, available on PS4.

Souls games, available on PS4.

NieR sequel. MIA.

MoHun, moved over to Nintendo.

Feels like Japan has been looking for a reason to move away from Playstation since the PS3 and now they have one. Little or no incentive to buy a PS5 at present. PS4 managed to sell 10mil units and PS5 won't come close to that.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Microsoft selling more software compared to Sony doesnt say much.

I mean...its minecraft, its going to sell anyway, and also the only software that sells in Japan.

Amin_Parker

Europe is much bigger.
Why do you guys keep thinking that Europe is a country and not a continent. When talking about countries Japan is the second biggest country for video games. Just like Africa is a continent and not one country Europe is a continent and not one country. You guys need to stop trying to belittle Japan just because your favorite console is suffering there

MrFunSocks

Banned
Why do you guys keep thinking that Europe is a country and not a continent. When talking about countries Japan is the second biggest country for video games. Just like Africa is a continent and not one country Europe is a continent and not one country. You guys need to stop trying to belittle Japan just because your favorite console is suffering there
The word “market” was used, not country. I can say it a third time if you’d like?

wait do you think my favourite console here is PlayStation and I’m upset because it’s “suffering” in Japan? Lol

Last edited:

Woopah

Damn, Sony got destroyed by a bunch of cell phone games.
You've read the thread wrong. This data is dedicated from video game devices not phones

Any chance Sony's turn to censorship would be partially responsible for this?
It's a non-factor, this is all about the software being released.
The word “market” was used, not country. I can say it a third time if you’d like?

wait do you think my favourite console here is PlayStation and I’m upset because it’s “suffering” in Japan? Lol
But this was in the context of Japan so it's clear they are talking about markets on a country level not a continent level. Otherwise they'd have said Asia.

Top Bottom