• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Top 50 best selling games of 2021 YTD(8th August) with platform holders and publishers market share data.

Woopah

Japan hasn't been the second largest gaming market since 2008 or 9.
If we are talking about dedicated platforms like PS4/XB1/Switch then Japan was still the 2nd largest in 2019 and its very unlikely that any country has overtaken it since then, due to the big gap between it and Germany/UK/France

USA:
Hardware - 13.350.000
Software - 93.720.000

Japan:
Hardware - 6.040.000
Software - 26.113.000

UK:
Hardware - 2.200.000
Software - 18.470.000

Germany:
Hardware - 2.170.000
Software - 20.860.000

If we are talking about dedicated platforms like PS4/XB1/Switch then Japan was still the 2nd largest in 2019 and its very unlikely that any country has overtaken it since then, due to the big gap between it and Germany/UK/France

USA:
Hardware - 13.350.000
Software - 93.720.000

Japan:
Hardware - 6.040.000
Software - 26.113.000

UK:
Hardware - 2.200.000
Software - 18.470.000

Germany:
Hardware - 2.170.000
Software - 20.860.000
EU is more than 3 countries.

Also your data isnt accurate regardless, but again EU isn't three countries

Kjtc1979

USA:
Hardware - 13.350.000
Software - 93.720.000

Japan:
Hardware - 6.040.000
Software - 26.113.000

UK:
Hardware - 2.200.000
Software - 18.470.000

Germany:
Hardware - 2.170.000
Software - 20.860.000
Correct. China is a bigger video game market overall, but not for dedicated consoles.

Woopah

EU is more than 3 countries.

Also your data isnt accurate regardless, but again EU isn't three countries
Asia isn't one country ether. But we're talking about countries here not continents. Europe is probably bigger than Asia but no country in Europe is a bigger market than Japan.
Correct. China is a bigger video game market overall, but not for dedicated consoles.
If were to add in mobile and PC gaming things would be different, but Famitsu and Media Create only track dedicated video game devices.

Woopah

EU is literally a registered gaming market in trackers and retail databases. Not Asia. At least for individual markets. Regional is different.

This isn't about individual Euro countries, EU being an individual market has been a thing since the late 90's.
You're still comparing apples to oranges. One is a continent and the other is a country. When people say that Japan is the 2nd largest market they are referring to it on a country level.

You're still comparing apples to oranges. One is a continent and the other is a country. When people say that Japan is the 2nd largest market they are referring to it on a country level.
No I'm not comparing anything, that's how the data is measured by firm's and businesses and you're too stubborn to just let that go.

When official data comes out EU is the second biggest market. Maybe some smaller have different rules but that's how the global firm's do it, and the investor side of the industry as well.

Individual EU countries are and have always been a separate thing. As PART of the EU market.

You may not agree with it that's fine, but that's how it works. I'm just reporting the facts.

Woopah

No I'm not comparing anything, that's how the data is measured by firm's and businesses and you're too stubborn to just let that go.

When official data comes out EU is the second biggest market. Maybe some smaller have different rules but that's how the global firm's do it, and the investor side of the industry as well.

Individual EU countries are and have always been a separate thing. As PART of the EU market.

You may not agree with it that's fine, but that's how it works. I'm just reporting the facts.
We're having a discussion, there's no need for you to get personal.

Marty was specifically talking in the context of country markets. Many companies do talk about Europe as a single market, I agree with that. But that doesn't mean an analysis of market size by country is something that cannot be done. Companies often use "the Americas" as a market but that doesn't mean that the US cannot also be called 'a market'.

In this situation we can just change the sentence to "Japan is the second largest country for video games".

MrFunSocks

Banned
You've read the thread wrong. This data is dedicated from video game devices not phones

It's a non-factor, this is all about the software being released.

But this was in the context of Japan so it's clear they are talking about markets on a country level not a continent level. Otherwise they'd have said Asia.
Japan is a "market" in the video game world, that's how the big tracking companies do it. This isn't new, this is how it has always been.
In this situation we can just change the sentence to "Japan is the second largest country for video games".

Ok so do that, don't try and argue that the word "market" is the same as "country" when "market" has been long defined for video game sales.

Last edited:
There are probably 10 big franchises that keep Japanese gamers interested in PS, which includes FF, DQ, KH, Yakuza, Resi, MoHun, Persona, Tales, Souls games, NieR.

FF16 may not appeal atheistically to Japanese gamers in the same way that 13, 15 and 7R did. There's also been radio silence since the reveal.

DQ12 is a ways away.

KH4 MIA.

Yakuza Like a dragon, available on PS4. Next Yakuza a ways off.

RE8 available on PS4 and next entry a ways away.

Persona 6 MIA.

Tales, available on PS4.

Souls games, available on PS4.

NieR sequel. MIA.

MoHun, moved over to Nintendo.

Feels like Japan has been looking for a reason to move away from Playstation since the PS3 and now they have one. Little or no incentive to buy a PS5 at present. PS4 managed to sell 10mil units and PS5 won't come close to that.
There not even done with the script for FF16

Vagswarm

This is just unbelievable. I mean, Sony is a powerhouse; they aren't some shmuck. And they're a Japanese company! Yet they're getting annihilated over there.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Next year is going to be another strong year for Nintendo Switch with so many big hitters.

splatoon-3-switch-screenshot05-1280x720.jpg

Switch_SequelZeldaBOTW_screen_08.0.jpg

359826008.jpg

MonsterHunterRise.jpeg

YukiOnna

There not even done with the script for FF16

Scripting is done, he's talking about voice acting recording.

Marty-McFly

Banned

carlosrox

Banned
Japan may have given up on Sony, but it still hasn’t stopped them from becoming the greatest selling console in history in terms of software sold. So far the PS4 has sold about a billion (BILLION) more games then the Switch - so somehow I think they’ll be able to sleep at night 🤷‍♂️
https://gamerant.com/ps4-most-sold-games-console-history
Meh.

How many of those games are sports trash and GTA? Most of those games are probably third party as well.

🤭

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
The top game on PS5 will be GTA5 and 6 versions of COD and some sports games.

Sounds like the PS audience.

For the record I do enjoy COD (some past entries have been great and WZ is indeed excellent) and while GTA5 is a pretty good game, I think there's a difference between real gamers enjoying it and casual badasses who buy it to fit in.

And sports games can die in a fire for all I care.

Woopah

Japan is a "market" in the video game world, that's how the big tracking companies do it. This isn't new, this is how it has always been.

Ok so do that, don't try and argue that the word "market" is the same as "country" when "market" has been long defined for video game sales.
A 'market' can be defined as whatever area people want to talk about. Japan is a market, Asia is a market, Germany is a market, Europe is a market. The whole world is a 'global' video game market.

The word market can be used correctly in all these instances.

In this situation we're talking about country markets.

RafterXL

This is just unbelievable. I mean, Sony is a powerhouse; they aren't some shmuck. And they're a Japanese company! Yet they're getting annihilated over there.
Because Sony doesn't cater to the cartoony E rated market that Japan laps up due to their obsession with youth culture.

FStubbs

Bandai Namco decided to drop the support for Nintendo Switch for some reasons after being the top publisher of the Switch in the early years.
SQE, on the other hand, unable to develop an exclusive mainline dragon quest game or the remake version of previous dragon quest games. Unlike Capcom with Monster Hunter Rise, SQE once again failed to take advantage of huge userbase of Nintendo Switch for mainline DQ game.
And then there's Level 5 who more or less abandoned Nintendo at the Switch reveal because they didn't think it would succeed.

I think Bandai Namco's focused on the West, so they aren't interested in games that will run on the Switch - and like Sony, they're okay if the Japanese market doesn't buy their stuff. That's why their most recent games have abandoned the Switch.

That being said, Super robot wars is coming to Switch.

The Dragon Quest and Bravely Default teams at Square-Enix support Nintendo. Bravely Default 2 is still (timed) exclusive to Switch and Triangle Strategy or whatever is coming. It's Final Fantasy that has more or less abandoned Nintendo, though Nintendo did get FF15 Pocket version.

RafterXL

You're right, Ratchet and Clank is rated E10+, not E.
One game. Look at the list in the OP. If you don't understand the markets they cater to are completely different, and that Japanese taste is significantly different than the rest of the world, you haven't been paying attention.

Scripting is done, he's talking about voice acting recording.
The article you linked is from Jul 10, 2021 the one about voice work i linked is from Jul 26, 2021 the reason why i say the script isnt done is because there going to do it in English 1st most of the time English dubs gets rushed through and changed heavily when there in Japanese. Plus he hasnt sat in on a single voice recording yet and thats when changes happen the most prevalent even with MGS 1-5 minus twin snakes kojima sat in on every voice recording section and either said yea keep it or change it.

Kjtc1979

One game. Look at the list in the OP. If you don't understand the markets they cater to are completely different, and that Japanese taste is significantly different than the rest of the world, you haven't been paying attention.
If Japanese tastes were “significantly different in the rest of the world,” those Nintendo evergreens would be overperforming in Japan compared to the rest of the world, as would the Switch itself. Neither is the case.

Mozza

Japan seems like a miserable place to live. Unable to come home from work due to the long hours and then cant have your own place to sit and play a game in your own space.
I imagine the Japanese huddled in a tiny corner of some tiny space clutching a tiny handheld game. If they even find the time to play.
I guess some serious thought and research must have gone into your statement, from your post it's hard to find any though. ;)

Woopah

Me explaining facts isn't personal, stop tone policing
Facts is fine. As I said I agree with many of the facts you've posted. But we can disagree with each other without calling each other stubborn.

Edit: Let me try explaining another way. As you rightly said, global businesses often use 'Europe' as a market when they are reporting to investors. But I can still look at the data we have for dedicated video game platforms and see that the UK market is larger than the Italy market.

Just because firms don't often use 'Italy' or 'UK' as markets in their financial reports, does not mean that a comparison between those two markets is impossible or invalid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom