• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

havokex

One of my favorite chains in Tokyo/Kyoto is Katsukura. They make the best fried cutlets that I've tasted so far, and you grind your own sesame seeds at the table while mixing your own sauce to your taste

Japan, 〒600-8216 Kyoto Prefecture, Kyoto, Shimogyo Ward, 烏丸通塩小路下る東塩小路町901 京都駅ビルThe Cube11F

I went to they one in Kyoto station, food was fantastic.

sfedai0

Banned
Does Katsukura offer different cuts of pork? I plan to go to Butagumi and I heard they have different grades of pork like you would have grades of steak. Sounds heavenly.

Akim

Banned
Has anyone ever bought tickets to Rizin? I want to go to the event on new years, but it looks like the only way for me to get tickets stateside is via stubhub. Stubhub doesn't let you choose your seats :(

Zoe

We ate at Katsukura in Yokohama. Apparently the owner is an old colleague/friend of one of the restaurateurs in Austin

Does Katsukura offer different cuts of pork? I plan to go to Butagumi and I heard they have different grades of pork like you would have grades of steak. Sounds heavenly.

That's pretty standard for tonkatsu restaurants.

upandaway

Going to Kyoto today for 8 days but I haven't had much time to do research so far. A little bit intimidating after being in places with like one or two things to see in them for a while. Hmm

Going to Kyoto today for 8 days but I haven't had much time to do research so far. A little bit intimidating after being in places with like one or two things to see in them for a while. Hmm

My favorite place in Kyoto is the Kiyo-Mizu Temple. It's up in the hills, so it commands amazing views of the Kyoto landscape. You can find it heavily referenced in manga (Ken Akamatsu's Love Hina vol. 3 and Negima Kyoto arc, and a few others come to mind), as "to jump from the stage of Kiyo-Mizu" is a common saying which means, "to do something with all your commitment." (You can survive the drop if you place yourself just right and throw yourself entirely into the literal jump). In winter, the Kanji character of the yer is housed there, and one can drink from the three streams that grant luck in health, wealth, and love. Also the way up passes through a winding row of stalls/stores, which are illuminated by lanterns, again making it very picturesque.

I know I sound like a tourism pamphlet, but this place really deserves a visit if you haven't been there already. I mention this place when chatting with Japanese, and they frequently agree with me and view me as well-traveled to mention Kiyo-Mizu.

upandaway

My favorite place in Kyoto is the Kiyo-Mizu Temple. It's up in the hills, so it commands amazing views of the Kyoto landscape. You can find it heavily referenced in manga (Ken Akamatsu's Love Hina vol. 3 and Negima Kyoto arc, and a few others come to mind), as "to jump from the stage of Kiyo-Mizu" is a common saying which means, "to do something with all your commitment." (You can survive the drop if you place yourself just right and throw yourself entirely into the literal jump). In winter, the Kanji character of the yer is housed there, and one can drink from the three streams that grant luck in health, wealth, and love. Also the way up passes through a winding row of stalls/stores, which are illuminated by lanterns, again making it very picturesque.

I know I sound like a tourism pamphlet, but this place really deserves a visit if you haven't been there already. I mention this place when chatting with Japanese, and they frequently agree with me and view me as well-traveled to mention Kiyo-Mizu.
Sounds really nice, thanks. Will do that. I wonder if there will be some fall colors when I go if the view is good

How bad is the rain during early September around Tokyo and Kyoto?

Usually the month before is a bit wetter in terms of rainfall, it should not be rain for weeks straight. For both areas that is. It will still be fairly warm though.

Sounds really nice, thanks. Will do that. I wonder if there will be some fall colors when I go if the view is good

Fall colors are starting to pop up in various places, generally Kyoto is mid November/late November supposedly for peak color change. Might still see some though.

Here we go again

DMCJJpqW0AAWFBw

I might go to the VR Zone in Shinjuku next weekend. Those of you who been there; how are the queues? Am I making a mistake by doing this on a Sunday? I really hate queues, lol.

I might go to the VR Zone in Shinjuku next weekend. Those of you who been there; how are the queues? Am I making a mistake by doing this on a Sunday? I really hate queues, lol.

I went on a Thursday as soon as it opened and naturally it was fine then. Pretty much everyone immediately went to Mario Kart. Shame it seems the Ghost in the Shell attraction isn't open yet. But if you enjoy VR, I'd recommend also the VR thing in Club Sega in Akihabara, which I thought was a lot cooler than any of the Shinjuku stuff since it was all untethered and you were physically walking around a room.

I went on a Thursday as soon as it opened and naturally it was fine then. Pretty much everyone immediately went to Mario Kart. Shame it seems the Ghost in the Shell attraction isn't open yet. But if you enjoy VR, I'd recommend also the VR thing in Club Sega in Akihabara, which I thought was a lot cooler than any of the Shinjuku stuff since it was all untethered and you were physically walking around a room.

Ah yeah, I've heard about that one. The game in Akihabara is for one player at a time, right? Heard a full game at Club SEGA lasts an entire hour, is that about right?

Ah yeah, I've heard about that one. The game in Akihabara is for one player at a time, right? Heard a full game at Club SEGA lasts an entire hour, is that about right?

Definitely not an hour, like 15 minutes at most, but in general I enjoyed it a lot more than the Shinjuku stuff. Its a solo game, but they have like two "rooms" running the game and I think each room can handle two people playing at the same time. The game path kind of keeps you from running into any other players, though I would occasionally see a floating hand or getting a "you're out of the game area" alert that I think was being caused by the system detecting another player.

There's another untethered VR thing that I think is multiplayer at Joypolis in Odaiba, but I didn't get a change to try that out.

http://tokyo-joypolis.com/attraction/1st/zerolatency/index.html

Fisico

I have some friends going next Friday for 2 weeks. They're vegetarian. Any tips/tricks/info I can pass along?

It will be hard.

Even some vegetarian dish in restaurants uses somme meat or fish in their sauces sometimes, it's not impossible to find but it's still the exception rather than the norm

I was flexitarian before coming here but I almost completely gave up, for now vegan lifestyle didn't pick up there and will probably not (at least on the same level than some western countries) before a long time.

Vegetables are a bit expensive as well, minus a few (ninjin, pumpkin, cabbage, potato...)

When I went abroad for four months on a study abroad program back in college, two of my classmates were vegetarian. One got lucky and managed to be placed with one of the few vegetarians hosting in the city, while the other had to bend her habits to fit in. I'd imagine if someone mentioned they were vegan looking for a vegan family, they'd be laughed out of Japan.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for the responses everyone - I'll pass on a few key points (mostly that they're going to have a tough time). The girl is super stubborn and thinks that beef/chicken broth will destroy her...Her husband is much more lenient on it, so he should have a good time.

Stalk

Booked honeymoon in Japan, second trip :D Going 3rd Aug - 27th Aug. Same time I went last time - I was ok with the heat :p

Thinking of booking out an airbnb for the month again to use like a base but somewhere more central than last time. Exciting tho~ We wanna go north this time, we did Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima and need to figure out what the rest of our plans will be. Got a lot of Kyoto we missed since we were only there a day or two last.

Izuna

Banned
Ah shame, I will be leaving a couple days prior. Hope to join one of these meet ups one day, usually fly there twice a year.

Ah, well, things are the way they are.

I land shortly before and I'm only there for just over a week, so it was the only day I could fit in.

lupin23rd

Yeah if you are in Hiroshima, both the okonomiyaki and Itsukushima Shrine are musts.

Has anyone spent a decent amount of time travelling around Shikoku? It's the only area in Japan I've never been to, but whenever I think about it, I feel like I don't have enough time to do what I want to do.

I'd like to check out Marugame, Kochi, and Uwajima castles, among a few others that aren't as "authentic". It feels like running around to see all these would take a good chunk of time, but curious to hear others adventures in Shikoku.

Stalk

Also make a detour to Itsukushima shrine on Miyajima island. It'll be worth the photos for your honeymoon. :)

I missed out on this last time we went to Japan since we didn't know it is a thing. Thinking of staying on the island at a ryokan for my birthday since we're there over that time too. Just trying to figure out if I wanna do Koyasan too hah.

Had Okonomiyaki last time I was there too in both Hiroshima and Osaka. Definitely worth it, yes.

Best suggestions for what to visit in Hokkaido?

Soar

Ah, well, things are the way they are.

I land shortly before and I'm only there for just over a week, so it was the only day I could fit in.

No worries, have fun!

Yeah if you are in Hiroshima, both the okonomiyaki and Itsukushima Shrine are musts.

Has anyone spent a decent amount of time travelling around Shikoku? It's the only area in Japan I've never been to, but whenever I think about it, I feel like I don't have enough time to do what I want to do.

I'd like to check out Marugame, Kochi, and Uwajima castles, among a few others that aren't as "authentic". It feels like running around to see all these would take a good chunk of time, but curious to hear others adventures in Shikoku.

Matsuyama itself is worth hitting the island, if you are a fan of Spirited Away I believe Dogo Onsen is used as an inspiration for the hotbath in the movie. I hope to stay a month just exploring the trails and eating as much Udon as possible there one day to be honest.

When I was last in Tokyo, I visited the Enoshima caves, and did a full walking tour of the island. It is certainly an invigorating hike, with many amazing views. The best part about the island is that you can finish your day off at the island spa and enjoy an open-air onsen while staring out at the sunset over the bay. I was able to catch a silhouette of Mt. Fuji, elegantly illuminated by a salmon pink sky. Great to do alone or with a significant other.

Gacha-pin

I missed out on this last time we went to Japan since we didn't know it is a thing. Thinking of staying on the island at a ryokan for my birthday since we're there over that time too. Just trying to figure out if I wanna do Koyasan too hah.

Had Okonomiyaki last time I was there too in both Hiroshima and Osaka. Definitely worth it, yes.

Best suggestions for what to visit in Hokkaido?

Visit a super expensive crab restaurant and have a full-course crab dinner.

So i want to pick up some recent game releases while im in japan(tokyo), what are some of the shops that are good to go to for that? I want to look for the new Taiko No Tatsujin game that comes with the drum. I have ton of stuff written down for retro games but nothing for new stuff.

Eridani

So i want to pick up some recent game releases while im in japan(tokyo), what are some of the shops that are good to go to for that? I want to look for the new Taiko No Tatsujin game that comes with the drum. I have ton of stuff written down for retro games but nothing for new stuff.

I don't know if they are the best choice, but I enjoyed checking out the big electronic stores (Yodobashi, Sofmap, Bic Camera etc.). They always had a big selection of games and game related stuff - I saw a lot of different rhythm game controllers and managed to pick up a used arcade stick for a pretty good price.

If you're looking for new releases, Bic Camera or Yodobashi will probably be where you want to go. If you want a used copy, there's a million shops in Akihabara that you can probably find it.

Top Bottom