• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Weekly Sales Chart (May 23 - May 29)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Jonnyram said:
June 23 could be the day Sony get well and truly served.
Mushiking is coming out for the GBA, and Sega have taken some 400,000 orders for the game already. It's huge with kids.
It'll be nice to see a game open with great sales again.

Jonnyram said:
June 23 could be the day Sony get well and truly served.
Mushiking is coming out for the GBA, and Sega have taken some 400,000 orders for the game already. It's huge with kids.

I find it sad that people are more concerned with framing this in context of the DS/GBA vs PSP wars than a Sega game not bombing. People suck.

mj1108

Die Squirrel Die said:
I find it sad that people are more concerned with framing this in context of the DS/GBA vs PSP wars than a Sega game not bombing. People suck.

You have to prioritize and think: What would cause a bigger thread on GAF?

Hell, if the GBA alone that week outsells the PSP we may see a sales thread like no other.

GDGF

Soothsayer
So why is no one praising me with great praise yet? I so predicted the DS win over the PSP long, long ago.

(sorry for the cockiness, but I am oh so drunk)

DenisDuckFat said:
It's not 3D it's first person.

First person killed metroid. Now it's Sucktroid.

Yay, you're back. And sporting your old avatar, I see.

As much as I agree with you on the whole WW vs. OoT debate, I gotta say I'm completely against your stance on Metroid Prime.

El Papa

CVXFREAK said:
How about dogs? :lol
mj1108 said:
In honor of Nintendogs, these should be dogs.
phatnintendoggs.jpg

heidern

Sony had a 30% handheld share to Nintendo's 70% this week. This is also the 4th straight week psp sales have gone down. I could actually see it actually battling it out with the GBA at around 15K within the next couple of weeks, even before the arrival of Mushiking. When that does arrive, it'll be very interesting. Also, if it already has 400,000 orders, that could put it at a challenger for 2nd biggest handheld game behind Pokemon and competing with Megaman EXE.

The only problem is, if the psp gets owned hard by the DS just going along as it is, and the old GBA pushed by an unheard of kids game, it's going to make the Pokemon DS + Gameboy Micro megaton ownage a huge anti-climax.

Sony *really* need to reduce the price of the PSP in Japan by around 25% and introduce a new range of colours immediately to have any hope. As it stands, the PSP looks to have little chance of competing with the DS long-term in Japan. Its software line-up just isn't as compelling and with sales going as they are, developers have increasingly little reason to focus on Sony's system above the cheaper, easier DS.

Elios83

Sony to increase Japanese PSP sales on the short term should sell new models with different colors/covers as those seen at E3 2004.
In the long term they must revitalize their lineup,they need a lot of killer applications appealing to Japanese gamers.Where are Gran Turismo,Winning Eleven,Final Fantasy,Tekken,Onimusha etc?

AniHawk

I hope at TGS, the PSP has a ton of really good looking games that dwarfs the DS's lineup by comparison.

You know, just so this could be the funniest system wars ever.

Oogami

Banned
Woah I thought Namco X Capcom would sell 500k easily. What happened to the Namco and Capcom fans? :\

Granted it's not a good strategy game, way too easy, one of the Chapters I had 12 characters Vs. one boss character, and just any 1 of my 12 characters can singlehandedly beat the boss already. :lol But as a game for hardcore Namco and Capcom fans, it's great to have. Just surprised.

AniHawk said:
I hope at TGS, the PSP has a ton of really good looking games that dwarfs the DS's lineup by comparison.

You know, just so this could be the funniest system wars ever.

Watch TGS become PS3 only and the PSP gets the shaft again

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Is the blue haired hero Ryu fron Breath of Fire playable in Namco X Capcom?

It always pisses me off Capcom ignores that character and that franchies.

jarrod

Banned
Oogami said:
Woah I thought Namco X Capcom would sell 500k easily. What happened to the Namco and Capcom fans? :\

Granted it's not a good strategy game, way too easy, one of the Chapters I had 12 characters Vs. one boss character, and just any 1 of my 12 characters can singlehandedly beat the boss already. :lol But as a game for hardcore Namco and Capcom fans, it's great to have. Just surprised.
It's the Monolith curse!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
GDGF said:
So why is no one praising me with great praise yet? I so predicted the DS win over the PSP long, long ago.

(sorry for the cockiness, but I am oh so drunk)

Isn't it really early to be that drunk?
or, uh... I guess that depends.... what time zone your in... haha

Oogami

Banned
John Harker said:
Is the blue haired hero Ryu fron Breath of Fire playable in Namco X Capcom?

It always pisses me off Capcom ignores that character and that franchies.

Nope he isn't in. A lot of my favorite characters are not in. :(

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
It's crazy that Nintendo still have big hitters like Zelda, Pokemon, Mario Kart and Smash Bros (though that's far from guaranteed) to come.

puck1337

Elios83 said:
Sony to increase Japanese PSP sales on the short term should sell new models with different colors/covers as those seen at E3 2004.
In the long term they must revitalize their lineup,they need a lot of killer applications appealing to Japanese gamers.Where are Gran Turismo,Winning Eleven,Final Fantasy,Tekken,Onimusha etc?
The same place they were near PS2 launch - being developed. You can't expect developers to release copious amounts of quality PSP software. Now that people know what the system is capable of, anything less than PS2 quality is going to disappoint. And writing that level of software takes a lot more effort than transitioning a bunch of already in development GBA games to the DS, or even writing a DS game from scratch.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
puck1337 said:
The same place they were near PS2 launch - being developed. You can't expect developers to release copious amounts of quality PSP software. Now that people know what the system is capable of, anything less than PS2 quality is going to disappoint. And writing that level of software takes a lot more effort than transitioning a bunch of already in development GBA games to the DS, or even writing a DS game from scratch.

Bull. Developers have had PSP kits for well over a year, I believe. More than enough time for them to pump out some heavy hitters (or at least announce them and give some details and media of them)

heidern

puck1337 said:

This is not the same situation as the ps2. With the ps2 developers were learning how to transition from the psone to the new hardware that required much higher budgets and was far harder to develop for. With the psp devs can directly transfer their skills across.

The problem is that portable software has different requirements to home console games. With that being the case, what 3rd parties are good at often doesn't work on handhelds. There's a reason why Kojima has rejected the traditional Metal Gear Solid formula in favour of a card game for the system. In much the same way, stuff like survival horror for example simply won't work on a portable. Actually getting games onto the psp is pretty easy for devs, but really, it's just much more fruitful to put their games onto consoles or dev for the cheaper DS.

There have been 39 titles released for the PSP thus far, eight of which are published by Sony Computer Entertainment. The number of games available for the DS is nearly identical, with 37 titles, 14 of which are from Nintendo.

I would have never known looking at the charts... so the PSP does have software WTF?!!

Top Bottom