• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Weekly Sales Chart (May 23 - May 29)

neo2046

http://www.gpara.com/ranking/index.htm

01 PS2 NAMCO × CAPCOM 87,000 [87,000]
02 PS2 Tear Ring Saga ~Berwick Saga~ 85,000 [85,000]
03 NDS SD Gundam Generations DS 53,000 [53,000]
04 NDS Brain Training for Adults 48,000 [90,000]
05 PS2 Racing battle -C1 GRAND PRIX- 39,000 [39,000]
06 PS2 Iris Aria Eternal Mana 2 37,000 [37,000]
07 PS2 Semi- ripening hero 4 33,000 [33,000]
08 PS2 Yu Yu Hakusho FOREVER 20,000 [100,000]
09 GC Metroid Prime 2 16,000 [16,000]
10 PS2 Romancing Saga 14,000 [379,000]

no hardware numbers yet

amazing :lol
the sales of Brain Training for Adults this week is more than the 1st week

Raw64life

Wasn't expecting sales for Nintendogs to drop off the charts completely. Nice numbers for Brian Training and Gundam.

Jonnyram

Raw64life said:
Wasn't expecting sales for Nintendogs to drop off the charts completely. Nice numbers for Brian Training and Gundam.
Nintendogs sold about 30k total, but the 3 packages are listed separately on Media Create's charts, so will be just outside the top 10.

Bebpo

Banned
neo2046 said:
http://www.gpara.com/ranking/index.htm
01 PS2 NAMCO × CAPCOM 87,000 [87,000]
02 PS2 Tear Ring Saga ~Berwick Saga~ 85,000 [85,000]
06 PS2 Iris Aria Eternal Mana 2 37,000 [37,000]
07 PS2 Semi- ripening hero 4 33,000 [33,000]
09 GC Metroid Prime 2 16,000 [16,000]

ARGH, the Japanese market is crashing week by week ;_; This is bad...really really bad. First big games weren't topping 200k openings, then they were only hitting around 110-130k openings, and now nobody is even passing 100k first week.

I don't know what they can do at this point. Every game released is going to keep selling less and less. Are the handheld sales pulling away from the hardware sales? Maybe, but I think that's a pretty bad thing if handhelds go up and consoles go down.

And GC is fucked as always. How did Metroid Prime 1 do in Japan?

Raw64life

Jonnyram said:
Nintendogs sold about 30k total, but the 3 packages are listed separately on Media Create's charts, so will be just outside the top 10.

I see. Have total Nintendogs sales passed 400k yet?

And I think MP1 sold around 100k in Japan. Looks like MP2 will do even worse.

jiggle

Bebpo said:
ARGH, the Japanese market is crashing week by week ;_; This is bad...really really bad. First big games weren't topping 200k openings, then they were only hitting around 110-130k openings, and now nobody is even passing 100k first week.

I wonder if those games would've done much better were they not all released at the same time.

At least in my case, it was -1 NamXCap when I chose Atelier2.

REALLY surprised that Minstrel Song is still hanging in there.

Firest0rm

Raw64life said:

Acoording to Nintendo, Nintendogs had already sold over 400k by E3 2005.

Doogdogg

Raw64life said:

more than 400k by now. it was e3 nintendo mentioned 400k dogs served.

Polari

Bebpo said:
I don't know what they can do at this point.

Maybe Iwata is right, and it is time for a/the Revolution. The DS is doing pretty well with its so-called "non-games".

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Woa, the Japense market sure has imploded.

What is everyone doing there?

Playing on their cell phones, or playing pachinko games?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
How popular was Metroid in Japan before Prime?
Makes you wonder if going the first person view was worth it, gaining more in America, but was the lost big enough in japan to offset the gain? Because, uh... yea, people hate it.

cvxfreak

John Harker said:
Makes you wonder if going the first person view was worth it, gaining more in America, but was the lost big enough in japan to offset the gain? Because, uh... yea, people hate it.

Metroid 1 sold over a million on the Famicom Disk System.

2D Metroid is popular evidenced by Fusion and Zero Mission's OK sales there.

John Harker said:

No. Just no.

retrobomb.jpg

In loving memory of DDF who made this perfect diagram of the near future.

jiggle

John Harker said:
What is everyone doing there?
Playing on their cell phones, or playing pachinko games?

Counting the days until Square announce the release dates of KH2/FF12. And then counting down to their release.

Jonnyram

jiggle said:
I wonder if those games would've done much better were they not all released at the same time.
Definitely. Namco X Capcom and Berwick Saga were really at each other's throats, especially since Famitsu marked down the former to benefit their own game, practically.

I finally picked up NxC today so I'll be a statistic in next week's charts - thanks for the pressure ducky :p I'm undoubtedly just gonna stockpile it for a rainy (sick) day, but may as well get it now while I have cash.

The Japanese market is fucked.

DMC3 (considered popular in Japan) debuted with 190,000 for it's "3 day sales." RE4 did about 120,000 in the same period as well. Either Capcom Advertising in Japan sucks donkey balls or this only further proves the Japanese industry is in "WTF" mode right now.

The only game I think that did amazingly well for "3 days of sales" I think was DW5 hitting 400,000.

BTW* It says Japan "weekly" charts but since games usually come out on Thursdays over in Japan, those are only 3 days worth of sales for most of those games. Not a week, but most here knew that.

thorns

Banned
The top selling psp title is #33, and there are only 4 titles in the top 50.. considering the #10 title sold 14,000, it seems possible that PSP software sold combined less than 20k.

Namco X Capcom and Berwick Saga were really at each other's throats, especially since Famitsu marked down the former to benefit their own game, practically

Namco X Capcom got the score it deserved. I don't think it's as good as some have been saying, and the rest of the Japanese press (non Enterbrain included) seems to agree. If it didn't have Namco and Capcom characters, the game would be pretty lame (it does have Namco and Capcom characters, though, which is the only reason I'm still playing it).

Jonnyram

AndriaSang said:
Namco X Capcom got the score it deserved. I don't think it's as good as some have been saying, and the rest of the Japanese press (non Enterbrain included) seems to agree. If it didn't have Namco and Capcom characters, the game would be pretty lame (it does have Namco and Capcom characters, though, which is the only reason I'm still playing it).
Quite... the characters are the only reason I've bought it too, but that should be reflected in review scores... I mean a tennis game with Mario in it certainly scores more than one without :p

Bebpo

Banned
AndriaSang said:

I dunno. It's not really bad. The only negatives are:

--boring to play because the missions are really long (kinda like playing Front Mission 4), this is made worse by the game being incredibly long.
--really easy

That should knock it down a bit, but not to the 28 Famitsu gave. The battle system is pretty good, the characters grow and gain new skills, the story/writing is great and the main pull, and the music and graphics are awesome. It's definitely a flawed game, but I'd still rather be playing it than any other game at the moment. The story and characters are really great.

MoccaJava

Banned
Come on Jonny, you know you were being quite the tease by only giving us the NDS numbers without the PSP. You don't want to bring out the popcorn? :lol

duckroll

AndriaSang said:

NxC is not a game, it's an intense fangasm experience. If Famitsu feels that Nintendogs deserves 40/40 for being a very entertaining and fun non-game, and if they feel that Xenosaga Ep2 was good enough for a 32/40 score, there's no way they can justify a 28/40 for NxC.

argon

Bebpo said:
I don't know what they can do at this point. Every game released is going to keep selling less and less. Are the handheld sales pulling away from the hardware sales? Maybe, but I think that's a pretty bad thing if handhelds go up and consoles go down.

zero console future?

I am going to class knowing somewhere at the other side of the ocean theres a man named Drinky going through hell!

Handhelds are the future, people are far too busy these days to sit down and enjoy a game, you can only doit once in a while as opposed to the early days when were wall are kids with nothing better to with our time. I like Nintendo's idea of games that a fun and quick to play on the go

ziran

Raw64life said:

nintendo inside says nintendo has shipped 500,000 of the little darlings!

40% of the buyers are women.

30% of the buyers bought nintendogs with a ds.

Pellham

Banned

3D has nothing to do with it. Metroid Prime is a shitty seller in Japan because of the console it's on.

AniHawk

Pellham said:
3D has nothing to do with it. Metroid Prime is a shitty seller in Japan because of the console it's on.

Metroid's pretty much a dead series in Japan now. Fusion didn't do much better than Prime back when the GBA was king.

MoccaJava

Banned
Here's what Dengeki Google'd had to say about the DS sales this week:

With the old work, the DS ' - DS training of the adult who forges the brain ' (this week 3.2 ten thousand / sum total 7.1 ten thousand) with ' the nintendogs (the 柴 ・ ダックス ・ chihuahua) ' (2.7 ten thousand /41.2 ten thousand) new axis title has extended the sale result favorably. According to the story of the circulation authorized personnel, aforementioned 2 titles of the DS the former DS user gather high support from woman layer and the adult layer which are different, it seems that becomes also traction part of the substance. By the way, the sale quantity of the DS itself of this week 4.2 ten thousand units of front week ratio 43.0% increase. ' The nintendogs ' after 4/18 weeks which are sold, always top share is acquired in the hard market.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
A lot of japanese gamers claim first person games make them dizzy, I think even free roaming isn't something they appreciate much, but I'm not sure. There's just no reason for Metroid Prime to be popular in Japan at this point, even if it was on DS or GBA.

SantaC

Metroid Prime 1 did like 70-80K in Japan. Metroid Prime 2 will deifnitley do worse, but this isn't a shock since we know how unpopular that franchise is in Japan.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
norinrad21 said:
Handhelds are the future, people are far too busy these days to sit down and enjoy a game, you can only doit once in a while as opposed to the early days when were wall are kids with nothing better to with our time. I like Nintendo's idea of games that a fun and quick to play on the go
depends.. in most places in america the exact opposite is true (sort of). people are busy, but hardly sitting still long enough to be able to play for 5-10 minutes. in japan, london, or even new york it's one thing sitting on a train or subway and having plenty of time. but in the rest of the country we are commuting for most of our "free" time and thus unable to really play handhelds until we get cars that can drive themselves.

don't get me wrong though, I would love for milwaukee to have an adequate mass transit system that I could just hop on and 20 minutes later I would be within a 5-10 minute walk from my work... but like most of the country, I just don't have that option.

BDGAME

berwicksaga.jpg
01 -PS2 - PS2 Tear Ring Saga

namcoxcapcom.jpg
02 - Ps2 - Nanco x Capcom

sdgudamggeneds.jpg
03 - NDS - SD cancer/gun dam G generation DS

c1grandprix.jpg
04 - PS2 - Racing battle -C1 GRAND PRIX-

iris2.jpg
05 - PS2 - Iris Aria Eternal Mana

notre.jpg
06 - NDS - Forges the brain DS training

hanjyuku4.jpg
07 - PS2 - Semi- ripening hero 4 - 7 semi- ripening heros

yuyuhakusyo.jpg
08 - Ps2 - Yu Yu Hakusho forever

romasaga.jpg
09 - PS2 - Romance singing saga

metroidprime2.jpg
10 - NGC - Metroid Prime 2

nintendogs-shiba.jpg
11 - NDS - Nintendogs Shiba and Friends

reddead_ps2.jpg
12 - Ps2 - Read Dead Revolver

nintendogs-dachshund.jpg
13 - NDS - Nintendogs DachsHund and Friends

nintendogs-chihuahua.jpg
14 - NDS - Nintendogs chihuahua and Friends

baseballlive2005.jpg
15 - PS2 - Baseball live 2005

nbav3.jpg
16 - NGC - NBA Street Vol. 3 with Mario

buradonky.jpg
17 - GBA - Wander donkey ( King of Swing)

naruto_ds.jpg
18 - NDS - NARUTO- null To - the strongest ninja large concentration 3

ys4.jpg
19 - Ps2 - Ys Mask of the Sun - A new theory

prospi2.jpg
20 - PS2 - Professional baseball spirits 2

BDGAME

nowprinting.gif
21 - PS2 - NDS - Bomberman

we8live.jpg
22 - PS2 - Winning eleven 8

zipang.jpg