• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Analysis on PS-5: PS5 could be a terminator of the game industry, ending the long-running console war" "PS5 wil be whole new symbolic tower f

Will the PS-5 Sell more than the PS-2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamerguy84

I don't know but it could potentially sell more than PS2 and beyond. If the plan was to sell 5 million by Xmas and have another 5 million made by March its looking like a good start.

So that means they will have 10 mlion sold by late March, and still won't be sitting on shelves.

If 100 million is the magic number for sales than that is a tenth of that already with high demand in play and people searching for them. I'd love to visit this and find out what the number is when they are sitting at retail where anyone can buy them. Could be 20 million?

If they keep the PS exclusives train rolling then yes this could end up selling more than any before it.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Besides sport games like fifa or Madden isn't the esports scene for 90% PC?

Last edited by a moderator:

Barakov

Every time someone says something crazy like this, I think most people will laugh it off but right now Playstation is the strongest it's ever been since the PS2 era. Honestly, right now it might be even stronger. Whenever Sony releases new info on PS5 the metrics seem to get bigger and bigger. I'm still in the "We'll see camp" but Sony definitely has the momentum to do more than PS2 numbers long term.

Kagey K

Banned
Now it just needs japanese people to buy it

They will when zoning laws change and they can buy them as affordable housing,
BUT IS THERE ENOUGH LIQUID METAL ON EARTH FOR 6+ BILLION UNITS?????? EVERYONE NEEDS ONE!

This shit is fucking embarrassing. I see you and your crew (the “Joined Jan-May 2020” crew) don’t keep the circle jerking in the Next Gen OT anymore. Bummer.

I would have hoped you all at least still attempted to disguise the agenda-posting but apparently it’s just full on Green Light now?

Well. I’ll try again later, probably a few months after consoles drop. Maybe the astroturfing will be curbed by then and things will be back to normal. Hopefully. I miss it.

Disclaimer: this post was not rushed.
Jesus Christ,

Welcome back man. I missed seeing your pudgy face. The community missed you.

Im doing this one for you.

How many melted Terminators does it take to make that many PS5? and is Sonynet willing to sacrifice them?

Last edited:
Console Esports?

They just lost CDL to PC this year.
What is there besides some fighting games? Sony does not even have their own Esports titel.

Some analysts are just bad

Kagey K

Banned
Console Esports?

They just lost CDL to PC this year.
What is there besides some fighting games? Sony does not even have their own Esports titel.

Some analysts are just bad
Obviously StarCraft, Lol, Smite and every other PC oriented esport are jumping on Sony and the only way to watch them will be through the share channel on the PS5 so audience members are buying them as well.

According to him.

700 million units long term
The eSports part still makes no sense. Cost of device has never been a limiting factor in eSports. They use PC as you're always going to have the highest possible graphics and performance as well as the highest degree of skill with M+KB. Controllers are fine for what they are but there just isn't any way around this. Most popular eSports? MOBAs, RTS and FPS/TPS. All will look at worst on-par with consoles graphically and all have a much higher skill ceiling with M+KB, that's an undeniable fact.

Also wtf is up with his maths for the 600-700 mil. Where is he arbitrarily pulling the "400mil spectators" from? Even if that's an accurate representation of how many spectators eSports get per month or year or whatever, he's still just assuming said spectators will magically purchase the console rather than continuing to spectate? It's ludicrous.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
BUT IS THERE ENOUGH LIQUID METAL ON EARTH FOR 6+ BILLION UNITS?????? EVERYONE NEEDS ONE!

This shit is fucking embarrassing. I see you and your crew (the “Joined Jan-May 2020” crew) don’t keep the circle jerking in the Next Gen OT anymore. Bummer.

I would have hoped you all at least still attempted to disguise the agenda-posting but apparently it’s just full on Green Light now?

Well. I’ll try again later, probably a few months after consoles drop. Maybe the astroturfing will be curbed by then and things will be back to normal. Hopefully. I miss it.

Disclaimer: this post was not rushed.
Welcome back. Hope to see you again when you finally decide to come back for real.

Bodomism

Banned
The social media engagement metrics are also all off the freaking charts:
1a7aef7491af5c0b904ad72e2280b73d.png

Everyone. Literally everyone wants one. Brand power is so strong
The social media engagement metrics are also all off the freaking charts:
1a7aef7491af5c0b904ad72e2280b73d.png

Everyone. Literally everyone wants one. Brand power is so strong

Yyp8tEd.png

yRN2f8k.png

Guess which one is selling 22.5 million copies in 3.5 months?

Mr.ODST

It’s funny because I work in esports and Consoles are rarely used for multiple reasons, even CWL is moving to PC lol

CAB_Life

PS5 won’t surpass the PS2 and probably won’t hit PS4 numbers either. How can an analyst ignore market downturns in every single economy worldwide and make these kind of predictions? Covid has effectively stalled our world’s economies. Ain’t no one prioritizing a $500 console when they can barely feed their children.

Despite the pile-on that has already naturally begun here, just look at the metrics....
Look at how fast the pre-orders went, there are many indicators of how this console is in very high demand.

It has massive advantages over the competition in terms of back-catalogs coming forward, including PS-video , high budget exclusives with sequels due in the next 2 years and the brand strength worldwide, as well as a very broad demographic.

Also, in 2013 Sony was very tight on cash and at one of it's lowest points ever. Now it has plenty of cash, low debt and the backing of the Japanese government. If they want to break records, they have the means to do it...they just have to be smart about it.

(Not talking 600 million here.... 150-170 million, maybe 200 if they are aggressive)
I think they will do extremely well, but those numbers would need a whole new market segment to open up that wasn't interested in consoles and Playstation before.

Plus Microsoft brought its A-game this time around which might eat into their sales.

I am going for the same that the PS4 sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom