• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese games that portray the western medieval DnD setting

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hey GAF. So lately I've been playing Dragons Dogma, and after that Dragon's Crown. Both pretty cool games that portray a mostly western medieval setting with a lot of stuff taken from DnD or the greek mythology.

98.jpg

dragons-crown-playstation-3-ps-vita_83602_pn2.jpg

So I was wondering... any more games with this kind of setting? Goblins, griffins, chimeras, dragons and all that kind of stuff. Aside from Shadows Over Mystara or Golden Axe, I can't think of that many games.
Some would say it's generic as fuck, but I really dig it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Elden Ring, Dark souls, demons souls. Fromsoft is inspired by that setting.
Yeah thought about those, but imo it's much more dark fantasy than the typical DnD fare of the games I posted in the OP.

Man, those Japanese know how to oversexualize girls in gaming. Look at that meaty, tattooed ass. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
That's actually nothing. That game has the fan service levels gone through the roof.

Mermaid.gif

Beatuful art and amazing animation tho.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Man, those Japanese know how to oversexualize girls in gaming. Look at that meaty, tattooed ass. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
One of the reasons we need more japanese devs having creativity freedom "female meaty, tattooed asses".
:messenger_sunglasses:

Back on topic:
9oHtQi0.jpg

One of my favorites beat'em up of all time (next to Dragon's Crown and AvP).
AFAIK the guys that did it, are the ones that made Dragon's Crown.

Great way to gather a crowd in the arcades back in the day when I used to 1CC it.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Eye of the Beholder was ported to the Mega-CD by a Japanese team and Yuzo Koshiro did the music. It might not be to everyone's taste (personally I love it). The port is very capable, compatible with the mouse, great pixel-art as well. One of the best games on the system in my opinion.

61QtADSftnL._SL1076_.jpg

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
One of the reasons we need more japanese devs having creativity freedom "female meaty, tattooed asses".
:messenger_sunglasses:

Back on topic:
9oHtQi0.jpg

One of my favorites beat'em up of all time (next to Dragon's Crown and AvP).
AFAIK the guys that did it, are the ones that made Dragon's Crown.

Great way to gather a crowd in the arcades back in the day when I used to 1CC it.
Was gonna post this.

Remastered editions are on PC/PS3/360/Wii U. Awesome games.

cireza

Banned
Record of Lodoss War is set in a Fantasy setting pretty close to what OP is looking for as well.

The Dreamcast game is a very competent hack'n slash with a huge focus on equipment. The world is very open, a ton of side things to do, very action oriented. One of my favorite games ever, actually. Must play.

Developed by now defunct Neverland.

lodwdc0f.jpg

Lodoss anime is a classic by the way.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Shining Force series is set in a medial setting full of mythological creatures, with warriors, dwarfs, elves, centaurs, chimeras etc...

The series saw many entries, but the one that would probably fit the best what is expected is the second one, where the more "modern elements" are not as present. In the first game, there are instances of advanced civilization. And in the third game, there is a kind of "steam" atmosphere, with rail roads and more modern things.

I personally love Shining Force CD.

shfocd0f.jpg

Wonder Boy series (Monster World subseries) is also a good recommendation I think. There are many ways to play the original games nowadays. My favorite is Monster World III.

Dragon Force and Guardian Heroes on Saturn.

Last edited:

Aion002

Final Fantasy usually has some sci-fi stuff, however Tactics barely has it, so it probably fits what you're looking for. Also, FF 1 to 4 are mostly western medieval fantasy inspired games.

There's also other games like: Vagrant Story, Guardian Heroes, Suikoden series (specially 3, but the series has a lot of other influences too) and the Mana series.

And if you want something more recent, FFXIV has some awesome quests, enemies and locations that are mostly what you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

STARSBarry

Gold Member

A spinoff of the Record of the Lodoss war light novel's & anime (plus a handfull of games), the light novel's were created by basing them on the adventures of the Sword World tabletop sessions the writers had.

Sword World is heavily based on D&D and came about largely because it was difficult to get fully translated versions of D&D rulebooks so the Japanese essentially just made their own. As such the style and mythology is heavily west leaning, with dragons, dwarfs and GrassRunner's (Halflings).

While now a fairly common trope in anime (and warcraft) this series essentially invented the long eared elves we enjoy in Anime today, as prior to this they where the short pointed ears as described by Tolkien.

record-of-lodoss-war.jpg

You can thank Deelit herself for popularising this design style, so take her for a spin in Wonder Labyrinth.

Last edited:
I believe the ol' Dragon Slayer/Xanadu and Hydlide series are like these?

It's kinda strange; these used to be WAY more common now that I think about it. I guess after Dragon Quest solidifed itself other devs just gave up.

Faithless83

Banned

A spinoff of the Record of the Lodoss war light novel's & anime (plus a handfull of games), the light novel's were created by basing them on the adventures of the Sword World tabletop sessions the writers had.

Sword World is heavily based on D&D and came about largely because it was difficult to get fully translated versions of D&D rulebooks so the Japanese essentially just made their own. As such the style and mythology is heavily west leaning, with dragons, dwarfs and GrassRunner's (Halflings).

While now a fairly common trope in anime (and warcraft) this series essentially invented the long eared elves we enjoy in Anime today, as prior to this they where the short pointed ears as described by Tolkien.

record-of-lodoss-war.jpg

You can thank Deelit herself for popularising this design style, so take her for a spin in Wonder Labyrinth.

And a great metroidvania too.

TintoConCasera

Thanks for the recommendations bros! Can't believe I forgot about the Shining Force games, should play one of those.

Also I've already played the latest Deedlit game. Enjoyed it a lot! Kinda short but also challenging and quite a looker. Never played the Dreamcast one tho.

For some reason Japan is still making Wizardry games.

y7kacah5rudfnnsk0sw6.jpg
Pretty curious about this. Are they any good? Only Wizardry game I've ever played is 8, and that one ahd a lot of sci-fy themes which wasn't what I was actually expecting from that game. Game itself was cool tho, but hard as nails.

Was thinking about it these days... there's apparently way less good games in those settings than it should. :(

dog 90s GIF

It's kinda strange; these used to be WAY more common now that I think about it. I guess after Dragon Quest solidifed itself other devs just gave up.
Right? It seems devs have forgotten about this kind of settings. We still have our witchers and elder scrolls, sure, but those games are more about their own thing that the typical DnD fare.

And of course, we have the Dragon Ages and Baldur's Gates, but I find it sad that most of the modern games set in this kind of setting are relegated to a specific genre, the CRPG.

The_hunter

record-of-lodoss-war.jpg

This game has physical copies out now in the west!

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll

Oh yes man Hydlide was my first action RPG :)

Pretty curious about this. Are they any good? Only Wizardry game I've ever played is 8, and that one ahd a lot of sci-fy themes which wasn't what I was actually expecting from that game. Game itself was cool tho, but hard as nails.

Well I bought it on PS3 a long time ago but it felt very low budget and a bit repetitive so I didn't really stick with it. Just read a new one is coming out but on mobile. Never really got into Wizardry series for some reason, I liked Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore a lot tho back in the day.

Ozrimandias

Hey GAF. So lately I've been playing Dragons Dogma, and after that Dragon's Crown. Both pretty cool games that portray a mostly western medieval setting with a lot of stuff taken from DnD or the greek mythology.

98.jpg

dragons-crown-playstation-3-ps-vita_83602_pn2.jpg

So I was wondering... any more games with this kind of setting? Goblins, griffins, chimeras, dragons and all that kind of stuff. Aside from Shadows Over Mystara or Golden Axe, I can't think of that many games.
Some would say it's generic as fuck, but I really dig it.
I'm a huge fan of d&d. I don't remember many games with a very similar setting. Someone mentioned Dark Souls but I think Dark Souls is a bit darker and more twisted compared to D&D, maybe the levels that are in catacombs are inspirations from the Underdark. I tend to think that the Elder Scroll universe (Skyrim is a big Icewind Dale) could be.

Reactions: Isa
Thanks for the recommendations bros! Can't believe I forgot about the Shining Force games, should play one of those.

Also I've already played the latest Deedlit game. Enjoyed it a lot! Kinda short but also challenging and quite a looker. Never played the Dreamcast one tho.

Right? It seems devs have forgotten about this kind of settings. We still have our witchers and elder scrolls, sure, but those games are more about their own thing that the typical DnD fare.

And of course, we have the Dragon Ages and Baldur's Gates, but I find it sad that most of the modern games set in this kind of setting are relegated to a specific genre, the CRPG.
These days the Japanese seem to respect the medieval fantasy setting more than those in the West.

Celine

Crimson Shroud for 3DS, which is a tabletop RPG designed by Matsuno, with music from Hitoshi Sakimoto and published by Level-5 within the Guild series initiative.
Recommended, with Attack of the Friday Monsters!, it's the best game of the Guild series.

crimson-shroud-art-1.jpg

3DSDownloadSoftware_CrimsonShroud_03.jpg

Top Bottom