• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

Uthred

Hmm this beginner pack is tempting, 19 quid for 100 of the premium currency (which seems to be how much it costs) and then a ticket you can redeem for any Mega. Beelzemon calls to me, though I imagine UforceVeedramon or Alphamon are probably "better"

Dandte

Am i missing something? In my memory i played a lot of digimon linkz. It had 0 zero story and i stopped after the first mega event because it was unbalanced as fuck. The island where you can see your digimon and feed them was cool though. I thought it was out on global for month haha.

MiTYH

Am i missing something? In my memory i played a lot of digimon linkz. It had 0 zero story and i stopped after the first mega even because it was unbalanced as fuck. The island were you can see your digimon and feed was cool though. I thought it was on global for month haha.

I can't speak to the story, but I loved Cyber Sleuth so I'm all over this, at least for a little while.

Am i missing something? In my memory i played a lot of digimon linkz. It had 0 zero story and i stopped after the first mega event because it was unbalanced as fuck. The island were you can see your digimon and feed them was cool though. I thought it was out on global for month haha.
This was basically my experience, though I heard they later toned downed the mega events because of the complaints. Unless they made some major changes besides that to the game from when I was playing it, there's no reason to play it if you've already played Cyber Sleuth. It's literally just a dumbed down version of it using the same assets with no story and even more grinding to get optimal digimon.

Whoah, Tales of the Rays just had a pretty nice update. More premium currency for daily quests, updated and consolidated banners with daily first-pull sales, the option to buy the weapons you want with a different currency, updated text boxes, and a new event.
Good stuff.

Uthred

This was basically my experience, though I heard they later toned downed the mega events because of the complaints. Unless they made some major changes besides that to the game from when I was playing it, there's no reason to play it if you've already played Cyber Sleuth. It's literally just a dumbed down version of it using the same assets with no story and even more grinding to get optimal digimon.

This seems a bit reductionist. I'm not looking nor expecting the same gameplay experience from a mobile gacha game that I am from a full console release. When compared to its peers the game seems solid enough, it is as you said a dumbed down version of CyberSleuth. But having no/minimal story and being grindy makes it more or less the same as all gacha games, which leaves you with the gameplay and the licence as its selling points. If you're a fan of the Digimon franchise this feels like it'll scratch that casual collecting itch on the go. It's no better or worse than other gacha games that rely on their licences and I'd actually say that it's a bit better as it seems so far all the gacha does is save you time, you can earn any unit you want in the game. Which is always an attractive option.

Jeffrey

Dragon project looks and runs not amazing on my OnePlus 5.

Should be 60fps with these visuals. Tons of loading time too.

Shiro neko and bleach are still the kings of mobile action gacha

Whoah, Tales of the Rays just had a pretty nice update. More premium currency for daily quests, updated and consolidated banners with daily first-pull sales, the option to buy the weapons you want with a different currency, updated text boxes, and a new event.
Good stuff.

This reminds me. If I missed the events, have I missed those characters for good?

I also just noticed a video featuring Rita... did I miss her event? Please tell me i didn't o_O (NVMD, her event is next in global... saving for eet)

This reminds me. If I missed the events, have I missed those characters for good?

I also just noticed a video featuring Rita... did I miss her event? Please tell me i didn't o_O (NVMD, her event is next in global... saving for eet)
Yeah, the Rita event will be the next global event. Should be about 4 weeks until we get it.

You can't obtain the event characters after the event unless you pull their mirrage, which is super rare, but it's a new feature that was added. They will also definitely rerun events in the future.

This seems a bit reductionist. I'm not looking nor expecting the same gameplay experience from a mobile gacha game that I am from a full console release. When compared to its peers the game seems solid enough, it is as you said a dumbed down version of CyberSleuth. But having no/minimal story and being grindy makes it more or less the same as all gacha games, which leaves you with the gameplay and the licence as its selling points. If you're a fan of the Digimon franchise this feels like it'll scratch that casual collecting itch on the go. It's no better or worse than other gacha games that rely on their licences and I'd actually say that it's a bit better as it seems so far all the gacha does is save you time, you can earn any unit you want in the game. Which is always an attractive option.
When I say it's dumbed down Cyber Sleuth, I mean literally dumbed down Cyber Sleuth. It wasn't some Record Keeper or FEH type of deal where I'm playing a simpler, but somewhat different take on the games from those franchises or anything; it was just plain worse. They literally just took assets from CS, reduced the digimons' movelist (which also introduced the consequence of having to rely on RNG for some digimon to learn the special move you wanted when they evolved), and reduced the amount of digimon you use in a battle.

Not trying to shit on anyone interested in playing it or anything and I see how someone who isn't interested in a console game like that could find this appealing. Just from my perspective, the few days I was playing Linkz had me thinking "There's no point in me playing this" with that awful WarGreymon event being the last straw.

I mentioned the grind because that was by far the worst part of CS for me, so having to do that again in an even more tedious fashion stood out to me more than it usually does with these games.

Uthred

When I say it's dumbed down Cyber Sleuth, I mean literally dumbed down Cyber Sleuth. It wasn't some Record Keeper or FEH type of deal where I'm playing a simpler, but somewhat different take on the games from those franchises or anything; it was just plain worse. They literally just took assets from CS, reduced the digimons' movelist (which also introduced the consequence of having to rely on RNG for some digimon to learn the special move you wanted when they evolved), and reduced the amount of digimon you use in a battle.

Not trying to shit on anyone interested in playing it or anything and I see how someone who isn't interested in a console game like that could find this appealing. Just from my perspective, the few days I was playing Linkz had me thinking "There's no point in me playing this" with that awful WarGreymon event being the last straw.

I mentioned the grind because that was by far the worst part of CS for me, so having to do that again in an even more tedious fashion stood out to me more than it usually does with these games.

You're missing my point, whether its a dumbed down version of CyberSleuth (which is great) is immaterial because its not in competition with CyberSleuth. It's in competition with other mobile gacha games, to which it seems to compare favourably. If you want a better Digimon game experience then I wholeheatedly agree that you should be playing CyberSleuth. But if you like Digimon and are looking for a mobile game then this seems like a good option.

Ryoukai

Panipani is....good? I think? I mean, it scratches an itch I forgot I had with farming, and gacha is just random drops you open with XP dropped from killing enemies (well, since the battle system is super simple, I guess it's basically just a timer).

I've been playing for awhile and still playing. Game is very grindy as you have to keep farming for capsules and to level up you will need to get multiple dupes of the same character. Gameplay is really fun though and they're doing improvements each day, looking forward to our first event whenever that occurs.

jengo

I've been playing for awhile and still playing. Game is very grindy as you have to keep farming for capsules and to level up you will need to get multiple dupes of the same character. Gameplay is really fun though and they're doing improvements each day, looking forward to our first event whenever that occurs.

It kinda sucks that I can't really choose which characters I want to use, it kinda depends on who I randomly get dupes for instead. But I'm really digging it more and more!

ReaperXL7

Dragon Project seems pretty cool so far. I just don't know if I want to get invested seeing how they treated Rune story, I'll probably just play and see if they actually support this but I'm not getting my hopes up.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
DMM announces Infinite Stratos game
bg-system03.png

http://www.dmm.com/netgame/feature/isab.html

Rixa

Reding Digimon Linkz Reddit site there are few topics that Digimon Links is now downloadable from US store (both iOS & Android). Also did read that there is maintenance going on (Australian apk is working ok).

Caim

So, Digimon has their own Nurse Joy, eh?

Also, no rates listed.

That's a big strike.

They were datamined just now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DigimonLinkz/comments/74hb3j/gacha_rates_datamined/

Gacha Special
Mega : 1%
Ultimate : 12%
Champion : 37%
Rookie : 50%

Gacha Rare Capture
Ultimate : 1.5%
Champion : 10.5%
Rookie : 88%

Gacha Link Capture
Rookie : 17%
In-training : 83%

At least there is a guaranteed Mega per multi banner going on right now.

Ryoukai

It kinda sucks that I can't really choose which characters I want to use, it kinda depends on who I randomly get dupes for instead. But I'm really digging it more and more!
I agree, trying to get the character for the first time is lame since chances of obtaining is low. Keep in mind that characters in your party have a higher chance in appearing S capsules.

ReaperXL7

I want Bancho Leomon.....is it possible to get him by just evolving?

Pretty good week for games though, I'm enjoying both Dragon Project and Digimon so far.

Quonny

Jeffrey

Yeah only redeeming feature is they basically took all the assets from the recent console digimon games.

Everything else looks like a bad mobile game from like 2012.

Uthred

There's not much to the game beyond collecting Digimon, the saving grace being that none of them are behind the gacha (though their shards are behind events). Beyond that its fairly barebones, luckily I find that satisfying so far. Hoping that later levels/events require team building and more selective breeding.

While you might get one pull to start the game you get MetalGreymon (lvl 40 Mega) on literally the third level, thats more than enough to carry you through the early game. It doesnt take much time to get to 200 premium currency. You get 10 jewels for each co-op person met for the first ten people, combined with the beginner mission rewards you should have enough to pull on the guaranteed mega within an hour or so.

The mission rewards also give you all the mats, other than the Advent quest shards, that you need to upgrade the free MetalGreymon to WarGreymon, so that's a second mega fairly soon. Then if you want you could get the MetalGarurumon shards from his Advent quest which is currently running, and the trade in shards from the current login event would let you get Omegamon. Oh, the beginner quests also give you a GrapLeomon and WereGarurumon so dont farm and waste upgrade mats on them like a sucker (which I did ;) )

As I said the game does seem fairly basic and I can certainly see how that can be a turn off, but it feels significantly more generous with piling you down with starting currency and resources than other gacha games I've played.

Quonny

Started playing Hunter’s League. This game just seems okay, but it has some really cool ideas that should be copied ASAP.

The gacha is for weapons. Each piece of gear has a star rating that is given by the community. People rate and review how useful weapons are and it has a star rating based on community reviews, so you can determine whether or not you want to invest in a weapon. There are also little short text blurbs like “cheap to upgrade, best mid range uncommon weapon”. Another thing is once you clear a stage you can leave a short strategy explaining how you got through it or give some hints.

It’s really cool. More games need this kind of community interaction with the game systems itself.

chrono01

I normally play all of the new gacha games (or, at least, give them a try), but I think I'll pass on Digimon Linkz. I don't know, it just doesn't interest me a whole lot, but nice to see the game finally be officially released for those excited for it!

Z3M0G

Holy shit... so I'm a pretty big fan of Eye of Judgement from back in the day... and I recently discovered Fight League. It doesn't have that hot of a rating on the Play store (really wondering why), but damn this game is fun! Setting up attack chains is fun as hell!

187e21a6b0294b0bbd729e14a55d13e1.jpg

Kitoro

Holy shit... so I'm a pretty big fan of Eye of Judgement from back in the day... and I recently discovered Fight League. It doesn't have that hot of a rating on the Play store (really wondering why), but damn this game is fun! Setting up attack chains is fun as hell!

187e21a6b0294b0bbd729e14a55d13e1.jpg

Fight League was soft launched about 4 months back in Canada, and fell flat on it's face. Not sure it's ever going to get a Global release at this point.

I tried it, and the battle animations took too long to run through, team battles were held back due to terrible design choices, and it just wasn't very fun for me, overall.

Z3M0G

Fight League was soft launched about 4 months back in Canada, and fell flat on it's face. Not sure it's ever going to get a Global release at this point.

I tried it, and the battle animations took too long to run through, team battles were held back due to terrible design choices, and it just wasn't very fun for me, overall.

I wonder if the game has evolved a lot since then... it feels fast to me. [shrug]

Kakaroach

I normally play all of the new gacha games (or, at least, give them a try), but I think I'll pass on Digimon Linkz. I don't know, it just doesn't interest me a whole lot, but nice to see the game finally be officially released for those excited for it!
Same here Chrono. I tried one of those villiage building games - the walking dead one - and I just couldn't get into it.

I'm still waiting on any news for the Tokyo Ghoul game. The Chinese beta came out more than 2 months ago and still no news. GameSamba doesn't seem very good at communicating.

Kitoro

I wonder if the game has evolved a lot since then... it feels fast to me. [shrug]

It may have been improved since I played it earlier this year, for sure. I'm wondering if they'll ever release it in the US, especially with how long it's been soft-launched in Canada.

chrono01

In my constant checks on the App Store to see if Gumi released Alchemist Code yet, I noticed that Brave Frontier is doing a Fairy Tail collaboration and, since I love the IP, I re-rolled until I got Natsu. I'm not sure what to do now, since the game is overwhelming and will likely be dead in a few months once BF2 hits. Why do I do these things? I even have a super old account from a couple of years back that I might remember the details to, but no Natsu. Plus with the way things have changed since I last played, I'd rather start fresh. I probably won't bother, though. I just wanted to see if I could get Natsu, haha.

Speaking of Alchemist Code, at least the longer it takes for the Global release the better characters that will be in the pool for re-rolling, so there's that at least.

Dandte

Speaking of Alchemist Code, at least the longer it takes for the Global release the better characters that will be in the pool for re-rolling, so there's that at least.

Instead of giving us a content update gumi decided to extend the "start dash" step up....the current 2 5* in the game are trash (one is just plain bad one will be available for free later) and they implie we wanted this.

chrono01

Instead of giving us a content update gumi decided to extend the "start dash" step up....the current 2 5* in the game are trash (one is just plain bad one will be available for free later) and they implie we wanted this.
Yeah, I had to laugh at that when I read it. I doubt many people wanted that banner to be extended, especially with nothing new being added to the game. I guess it is a soft-launch though which wouldn't be so bad, if it weren't already running for as long as it is. If it takes a month+ for the full game to launch, people are just going to get fed up and probably move on.

I know the Gumi hack might have delayed things a bit, but I do wish they were a bit more clear on the official release date. I guess it could be interpreted as them not even knowing themselves, which could mean it really might be a month or so away.

Jeffrey

In my constant checks on the App Store to see if Gumi released Alchemist Code yet, I noticed that Brave Frontier is doing a Fairy Tail collaboration and, since I love the IP, I re-rolled until I got Natsu. I'm not sure what to do now, since the game is overwhelming and will likely be dead in a few months once BF2 hits. Why do I do these things? I even have a super old account from a couple of years back that I might remember the details to, but no Natsu. Plus with the way things have changed since I last played, I'd rather start fresh. I probably won't bother, though. I just wanted to see if I could get Natsu, haha.

Global bf is weirdly enough all about gvg now lol. The mode is mad buggy and takes place mostly when I sleep or work so I kinda got off that game.

SephLuis

Yeah, the Rita event will be the next global event. Should be about 4 weeks until we get it.

You can't obtain the event characters after the event unless you pull their mirrage, which is super rare, but it's a new feature that was added. They will also definitely rerun events in the future.

Does the game have a calendar for future events ? I'm having a ton of fun with the current one.

Also, did they release the percentages for the gatcha? Really want to know the chances of getting a mirror.

Does the game have a calendar for future events ? I'm having a ton of fun with the current one.
No calendar but it follows a predictable pattern and closely adheres to the Japanese release schedule.
It's a two week event, then a couple days off, then the intro of a new story chapter with about a week to focus on it, then maybe a day or two and a new event starts!
So we'll get Leon next then the Vesperia event.

Hmm is there anything more interesting to digimon later? I guess I was more interested in Persona lite aspects of cybersleuth than core gameplay since it feels boring here.

Uthred

Hmm is there anything more interesting to digimon later? I guess I was more interested in Persona lite aspects of cybersleuth than core gameplay since it feels boring here.

PvP and possibly harder events, but I don't imagine the core gameplay cycle will change significantly. Later on you may need to breed for specific skills/resistances but the, "Battle - level up - evolve - battle" loop probably isnt going to change or get significantly more complex.

Caim

PVP and I guess harder Advent events.

There isn't anything more that just getting more Digimon and eventually awakening your megas to +4 which is the real grind of the game.

I played a bit of the Japanese version at launch and got tired of it.

Uthred

question about digimon linkz. Is it normal that it freezes for multiple minutes at a time when i open the garden? Xperia XA1 here

Seems to happen with some digimon, both in the garden and anywhere else you see the full model, on some devices. I get similar freezes on my S7 but absolutely no freezes on either Nox or my iPad. Similarly my brother gets no freezes on his One Plus 2, so it seems device dependent. Can be pretty annoying.

Rixa

question about digimon linkz. Is it normal that it freezes for multiple minutes at a time when i open the garden? Xperia XA1 here

Seems to happen with some digimon, both in the garden and anywhere else you see the full model, on some devices. I get similar freezes on my S7 but absolutely no freezes on either Nox or my iPad. Similarly my brother gets no freezes on his One Plus 2, so it seems device dependent. Can be pretty annoying.

I get _very_ bad freezes in Garden and in Coop mode, my phone Sony Xperia XA1. Very poor coding from developers.

Top Bottom