• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

The best part of being so late to the scene is finding all the good old stuff. I just learned about ART-SCHOOL thanks to their recent release スカ-トの色は青, and their old stuff is AMAZING. They're like the Japanese Get Up Kids. I especially love Miss World and FADE TO BLACK.

Meanwhile, Spotify just uploaded a new album to their profile today, but I'm pretty sure that is a different ART SCHOOL. The band name also makes them a little hard to google due to all the real art schools. A gentle reminder for all of us when we think of band names in the era of search engine optimization.

Yeah, ART-SCHOOL is an all-time favorites of mine. Their recent stuff is still solid, but all of their early albums up to 2007/2008 are just godlike
Requiem for Innocence, LOVE/HATE, Paradise Lost, Missing (technically a compilation of 2 mini-albums) blew my mind

THE NOVEMBERS always mention them as one of their biggest inspiration, so you might want to check them out too. It's mostly noticeable in their first releases.
You might also enjoy LOSTAGE and PELICAN FANCLUB

Yeah, ART-SCHOOL is an all-time favorites of mine. Their recent stuff is still solid, but all of their early albums up to 2007/2008 are just godlike
Requiem for Innocence, LOVE/HATE, Paradise Lost, Missing (technically a compilation of 2 mini-albums) blew my mind

THE NOVEMBERS always mention them as one of their biggest inspiration, so you might want to check them out too. It's mostly noticeable in their first releases.
You might also enjoy LOSTAGE and PELICAN FANCLUB

Awesome. I've definitely listened to and liked The Novembers before and will be sure to check out the rest.

Kurita

ハルカミライ - predawn

Hi-STANDARD -The Gift

挫・人間「絶望シネマで臨死」
Never really got into them before, but man this song is crazy, I love it. I need to get back to their older stuff now, my tastes have evolved so I might love everything they made. Has a small Dresscodes vibe going on.
EDIT : hell yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdXRCJA72OI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YECBIS-_H0Y

Kurita

New Keyakizaka46 PV is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh4fwVx0Ko8

We're blessed
news_xlarge_3.jpg
news_xlarge_19.jpg
news_xlarge_1.jpg
EDIT : just noticed that Uemura isn't in it, looks like she had some health problems... :(

broz0rs

New Keyakizaka46 PV is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh4fwVx0Ko8

We're blessed

if Sony blocks this vid in your country, change the "tube" part of the URL to "pak" and it'll route it to Pakistan so you can see it lol

As for this single, with every Keya single I have mixed feelings. My main first impression is I'm not really feeling how this image fits with this upbeat song. But I look forward to checking out their msta performance and hopefully it'll grow on me.

===============================

So foreign idol fans are going pretty gaga on Twitter over this rookie idol on this new Akimoto Yasushi produced idol group called 22/7. Her name is Amaki Sally, and is completely fluent in English. She streams on the SHOWROOM app and I find it surreal to see a Japanese idol just flip a switch between being a traditional Japanese idol and all of a sudden be an American girl who's knowledgeable about memes. Here's the Twitter thread that's all you need to know about her.

https://twitter.com/nise_shi/status/914976861041565696

A preview of Namie Amuro's song "Finally". It's so sad and beautiful. I couldn't help but cry. I am going to love it in full, I bet.

Namie Amuro "Finally" Preview

Made me upset too, I will admit I haven't loved any of the previews for the new songs so far but "Finally" is the track I was waiting for – it definitely leaves an impression.

I'm waiting to see which posters are available with which version of Finally. I want this gorgeous picture!

DLGrjENVAAAaa7b

One of Koutei Camera Girl Drei's members has left already, the lineup is now ramy t talata, (not using the name sharapova anymore) catch my heart and sappy halloween.

so she's the only person who's been in all 3 tapestok idol groups (I'm not separating zwei from OG kouteka). song sounds great.

Made me upset too, I will admit I haven't loved any of the previews for the new songs so far but "Finally" is the track I was waiting for – it definitely leaves an impression.

I'm waiting to see which posters are available with which version of Finally. I want this gorgeous picture!

DLGrjENVAAAaa7b

I love that picture too! I want to see more pictures of this photoshoot. I'll probably make a custom cover for my music player and use this picture lol! I also preordered the CD version from Amazon, I am wondering if the posters will be truly different from my CDJapan copy.
Just heard the full version of Finally. It's so beautiful.

In case anyone still cares, Koda Kumi released the short PV for her next single "Hush" on her FC.

I'm not as embarrassed listening to this as I was with "LIT", but she's done better stuff in the past.

She's doing a Disney album thing too, preview inside: https://youtu.be/LX6XUVvKlsU?t=3m11s

HUSH PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F_giPeXDp4

Aaaand she's doing the MS Paint covers again. :(

Ugh I love her Disney stuff and that obscure song from Enchanted is so good!

Kurita

I joke with you plenty but you're absolutely not wrong.
I know! haha
Like, my Japanese friends who only listen to music casually basically all say the same thing "No one knows what AKB is singing these days, Keyakizaka and Nogizaka just seem cooler"
I mean they obviously still have a lot of fans, but the mainstream public stopped caring after that fortune cookie song. Everybody knew Keyakizaka's Silent Majority, Futari Saison and Fukyouwaon though.

Jintor

started out listening to the oral cigarettes today but youtube led me to Hello Sleepwalkers instead and yoooooooooo i dig them a lot

inktober is doing a lot for my band discovery lol

YO frederic also pretty dang cool oh man yeah this is dope. /edit MORE

that said this kana-boon song is definitely speaking to me

So foreign idol fans are going pretty gaga on Twitter over this rookie idol on this new Akimoto Yasushi produced idol group called 22/7. Her name is Amaki Sally, and is completely fluent in English. She streams on the SHOWROOM app and I find it surreal to see a Japanese idol just flip a switch between being a traditional Japanese idol and all of a sudden be an American girl who's knowledgeable about memes. Here's the Twitter thread that's all you need to know about her.

https://twitter.com/nise_shi/status/914976861041565696

i'm super into her tbh and i haven't heard a damn song yet

Kurita

started out listening to the oral cigarettes today but youtube led me to Hello Sleepwalkers instead and yoooooooooo i dig them a lot

inktober is doing a lot for my band discovery lol

YO frederic also pretty dang cool oh man yeah this is dope. /edit MORE

that said this kana-boon song is definitely speaking to me

Better late than never Jintor-kun

Now listen to Gesu no Kiwami Otome, KEYTALK, yonige

much love, xxx

-
Trailer for Yoru no Honki Dance's second full album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaVs_OXA5pU
Sounds pretty great. Still don't care much for SHINE but the rest is very solid.

New Cider Girl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PWc5zBINvU
Very dancey track, I dig it a lot.

感覚ピエロ「ハルカミライ」

Slowdive

Banned
That new Shiina Ringo song sounds like old Bonnie Pink. Weird.

Yet another tie in, it's really bad. Never thought I'd say this but Chiaki Kuriyama's version is better, she wrote it for her years ago. Always wanted Ringo to release her own version but not at this stage where she seemingly doesn't care what she releases.

Yeah it's nice but not the sort of thing I want from them.

ramyeon

wow yonige is good, wish Kurita told me about them sooner

he did
I've been out of the Japanese music scene for ages (Besides listening to Perfume every now and then) but just looked into this group on YouTube after stumbling upon this thread and this is the type of Japanese pop I love. Was really into Chatmonchy way back when too.

Do you guys have any recommendations for recent stuff similar to this?

Ryuukan

btw new moumoon acoustic album is out on itunes now

and its fucking amazing

edit: fffff cinderella and uta wo utaou my ears dont deserve this

I've been out of the Japanese music scene for ages (Besides listening to Perfume every now and then) but just looked into this group on YouTube after stumbling upon this thread and this is the type of Japanese pop I love. Was really into Chatmonchy way back when too.

if you like chatmonchy, you'll love moumoon imo, try listening to "No Night Land" album

you'll probably like Negoto too which Kurita recommended to me

Jintor

more on the sally front

her code switching is so fast holy shit, it's so crazy. i have very high hopes for the first anime to have actually good english in it maybe but i'm sure they'll fuck it up somehow

still haven't heard an actual song from them yet, but they have a single out on itunes which i might grab

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm just letting Google Play Radio play, and a song I kinda like that just came on is called "☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆*****"

What the hell kinda name is that? It looks like there are multiple tracks with similar names too from the album:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tv-anime-yuki-yuna-is-a-hero-original-soundtrack/id953608631

"Oh yeah, I really like the song Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Asterisk Asterisk Asterisk Asterisk Asterisk. Or as I liked to call it, 10 Star 5 Asterisk."

ramyeon

and its fucking amazing

if you like chatmonchy, you'll love moumoon imo, try listening to "No Night Land" album

you'll probably like Negoto too which Kurita recommended to me
Thanks! Checked out a couple of songs from Moumoon and Negoto on my break and enjoyed them, will be checking out the albums after work.

Kurita

You should try Shishamo

New The Mirraz
https://youtu.be/nd8vJps3I2Y
They're releasing a new mini-album in two days. WTF lol
2 full albums and 2 mini-albums in 2017, add to that 4 singles, they've released like 40 songs this year lol

neshcom

Banned

and its fucking amazing

A) holy shit yes Cinderella. That song is so underrated. B) Are these taken from their monthly YouTube acoustic concert streams? Just listening to this version of Cinderella, I feel like I’ve heard it before.

Ryuukan

A) holy shit yes Cinderella. That song is so underrated. B) Are these taken from their monthly YouTube acoustic concert streams? Just listening to this version of Cinderella, I feel like I’ve heard it before.

I dont think so because those streams are done live and I haven't seen anything in the description for the album about it being live recordings

LayLa

there’s a “j-pop” bundle over on Groupees at the moment, seems to be mainly the stuff that Specific has licensed

$1.50 tier has Charisma.com, Necronomidol, Yoshino Yoshikawa, KiWi
$3 tier adds Suiyobi no Campanella, Passepied, DJ Obake, Ullzang Pistol
and there’s LLLL as a bonus unlockable

At least the auto-tune thing seems to be a deliberate stylistic choice for that one song, and not a new musical direction for the band? The other two songs we've heard seem a lot more like their usual stuff.

I'd say I'm not crazy about it either but if I do, Kurita will angry idol gif me

Kurita can angry idol gif me all he wants, ain't gonna make me like the song!

Kansoku

At least the auto-tune thing seems to be a deliberate stylistic choice for that one song, and not a new musical direction for the band? The other two songs we've heard seem a lot more like their usual stuff.

Wait, two? what other song other than 音の鳴る方へ they have "released"?

EDIT: Oh shit, went to their channel, didn't see they posted 正しいままではいられない

Top Bottom