• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Slowdive

Banned
One of Koutei Camera Girl Drei's members has left already, the lineup is now ramy t talata, (not using the name sharapova anymore) catch my heart and sappy halloween.

I somehow missed they announced catch my heart is in Koutei Camera Gal too. So Koutei Camera Gal is just Koutei Camera Girl Drei without sappy halloween.

Larsa

I wouldn't mind honestly, I really like his voice.

same, and I'm not even typically a fan of male japanese singers (at least not ones in "kurita bands"). that said, this is 2/2 EMPiRE songs that I've really enjoyed. looking forward to seeing where they go.

me too. I've still got the first released version of Spark with Watanabe vocals and listen to it somewhat regularly, secretely in shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AhKpTP45wU

As much as I am a fan of Radwimps, and have bought every single one of their albums, there are a few extremes for my likes and dislikes of their songs:

Absolutely perfect for me: おしゃかしゃま, 前前前世, Iron Bible.

KILL IT WITH FIRE!: 五月の蝿

Kurita

As much as I am a fan of Radwimps, and have bought every single one of their albums, there are a few extremes for my likes and dislikes of their songs:

五月の蝿 is like my favorite song lol

--
Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas - LLLD
A weird slow tempo song with screams and an ersatz of rap with Minami finally using his clean voice. What. lol
No idea what to expect from their new album but I'm hyped.

Damn, already 2 millions views in 2 two days for Yonezu Kenshi/Suda Masaki. Will they top Yonezu's collab with Daoko until the end of the year? haha (it's not a tie-up so I doubt it but hey you never know given how fucking popular both dudes are)
https://youtu.be/gJX2iy6nhHc
Such a simple ballad but damn, it works so fucking well.

PillarEN

Melt-Banana was saweeeet. Played like 7 songs from Fetch and that's alright with me. Even got to record a full take My Missing Link. Ears are shot. Good crowd. A little rougher than I'm used to, but good energy.

Melt-Banana was saweeeet. Played like 7 songs from Fetch and that's alright with me. Even got to record a full take My Missing Link. Ears are shot. Good crowd. A little rougher than I'm used to, but good energy.

as someone who has followed them for almost 20 years, I honestly believe Fetch might be their best album. sounds like a good show (not like they're ever bad)

did they play Chain Shot? it might be my favorite song of theirs

e: or Shield for Your Eyes

Ryuukan

disagree, that track is great

you must love 棒人間 too

PillarEN

as someone who has followed them for almost 20 years, I honestly believe Fetch might be their best album. sounds like a good show (not like they're ever bad)

did they play Chain Shot? it might be my favorite song of theirs

e: or Shield for Your Eyes

Chain Shot yes.

I'm pretty sure Shield was played too. It kind of blurs and I've heard that song so many times that I suddenly can't remember. Like they played a Melt Banana'd up version of A Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong) which caught me off guard haha. Some other cover song too, but I could not tell what their rendition was. Then they played a string of like 8 super short songs.

I like the band a whole lot, but I'm not actually all that well versed with their catalog. They played some song where Yasuka was barking. Uh, yeah I don't know what song that is for example.

Looking online, someone posted the first cover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2SH9RA6Nmc
The riff reminds me of Led Zeppelin's Misty Mountain Top, but maybe I'm an idiot. I'll upload my potato version of My Missing Link later tonight.

PillarEN

Here is my upload for Melt-Banana - My Missing Link. Made a throwaway youtube profile. Couldn't figure out how to make the video 1080p since it originally is. But eh, 720p it is. Probably my lack of ever uploading anything ever to youtube. Couldn't even figure out how to change the channel name to something more dull and throwaway. The name I used was just something to get Google off my back since they wanted a first and last name. How do people make channels that are one word or multiple words? Anyways...

https://youtu.be/wTMMyLmd-UY

EDIT: Out of curiosity I uploaded the same vid to my real channel and it did upload to 1080p (i've since removed it as my real channel isn't intended for such videos). Maybe new accounts can't uplaod to higher quality immediately. Who knows.

EDIT 2: OK... I went back to the throwaway video and now I see all the various video qualities. Probably Youtube bugging out there for a sec.
Sorry, sorry, sorry. Don't mean to bother you with such dumb things here.

Wulfric

Avex Trax entering the 21st century with full PVs in 1080p. :O

Koda Kumi - HUSH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g98qY25BaHI

I'm getting a slight Jessie J vibe from this one. The video is pretty decent, since the colors are a bit muted. It's just a video of Kumi dancing, which she does really well if given good choreography. She might put out a new album next year at this rate.

It's hard to tell if she's picking up the pace again.

Kurita

Sweet, we finally have the final member of the band made for the TV show Bazooka!!, and it's actually Kawatani himself. They started the project with him as the producer, but he'll also be the guitarist.
news_header_AAA_7490.jpg
Vocals/guitar - Ikkyu (tricot)
Guitar/producer - Kawatani Enon
Keyboard - Niigaki Takashi (a pretty famous musician actually, he's the one that ghostwrote stuff for the fake-deaf Samuragochi Mamoru)
Drums - Koyabu Kazutoyo (he's a comedian, and actually quite good at drums)
Bass - Kawashima Kunihiro (same)

They'll try to release some music by spring 2018. Doubt they'll ever be a very active band but it's still pretty cool haha

Sharing some of the gems I found recently:

OOPS! PIG PALE ALE INC. - Nijinski (Official Video)
This is from a few months back but I recently discovered this oddly named band (aka O.P.P.A.I.) and have scoured the internet for more, which unfortunately isn't much. They've been around for a few years already and are hard to pin down, as they range from the shoegaze stuff above to epic post-rockey anthems to skronky instrumental jazz fusion and more.

Happy Kuru Kuru - 4 kinds of HKK
Most Happy Kuru Kuru songs are produced by Yunomi but this set from other producers is even better. These sound like songs from capsule's best era (around 2004-6) that have been updated with more current sounds. The one from Tomggg is my favorite.

TVアニメ『宝石の国』OPテーマ「鏡面の波」MV
I don't keep up with anime at all but this one has a theme produced by Terui Yoshimasa (sora tob sakana, haisunonasa) and it looks pretty good too.

小泉花恋「ワンランクウエノガール」MV
Completely obsessed within ten seconds.

エドガー・サリヴァン - Fight at Tokio (Music Video)
EDOGA-SULLIVAN is the sort of pop band that could be a big deal if they got the right push.

上坂すみれ「リバーサイド・ラヴァーズ(奈落の恋)」MUSIC VIDEO
Did anyone post Sumire Uesaka's latest? Pretty good.

THE PINK NEW GINGERS - PINK [Official Music Video]

【MV】Future Cαke - YUC'e

Kus Kus - さよならに願いを (Music Video)

Kansoku

Shiggy Jr. - 僕は雨のなか (Short ver.)
Pretty damn good.

音の鳴る方へ is great; あかつき is nothing to write home about but it's not bad, (dis)communication is pure trash.

TVアニメ『宝石の国』OPテーマ「鏡面の波」MV
I don't keep up with anime at all but this one has a theme produced by Terui Yoshimasa (sora tob sakana, haisunonasa) and it looks pretty good too.

Ah, so that's why it sounded so much like ハイスイノナサ!
It's fantastic, and makes me miss them. I know their vocalist left a while ago, but I don't know if the found a permanent replacement. She could fit right in tho.

YUC'e is one of my favourite random finds from this year (macaron moon is so fun) and I had no idea she was putting out an album!

Will have to go through the other picks, some of it seemed like it could be up my alley.

Maybe this needs some time to sink in for me but I'd forgotten what link I'd clicked on when the video started playing and was like "oh random generic upbeat Japanese band #4712" before I looked at the name. But then again, maybe it's always been this way and I just cut them a lot more slack initially because they sounded less polished (which I like)?

Kansoku

Maybe this needs some time to sink in for me but I'd forgotten what link I'd clicked on when the video started playing and was like "oh random generic upbeat Japanese band #4712" before I looked at the name. But then again, maybe it's always been this way and I just cut them a lot more slack initially because they sounded less polished (which I like)?

IMO they've always been polished and their last album was a step up (groove tonight and keep on raining are sooooo gooood). That being said, they've always been more pop-y, and the guitar wasn't so upfront as this one. Much of what I like about this new song it's that. I didn't expect them to go in that direction, so I'm happy they're experimenting.

IMO they've always been polished and their last album was a step up (groove tonight and keep on raining are sooooo gooood). That being said, they've always been more pop-y, and the guitar wasn't so upfront as this one. Much of what I like about this new song it's that. I didn't expect them to go in that direction, so I'm happy they're experimenting.

Yeah, I'm wondering if it'll just take some time for me to get used to it, especially since you listed two of my favourite tracks off the last album. But there's a part of me that still remembers Saturday Night to Sunday Morning and kind of wishes they were still that band. Still getting the EP!

Jintor

anyone know when polkadot stingray's full album is set to drop? Seems to be just EPs atm.

I think i'm gearing up for another bunch of cd purchases

daydream

Banned
new inshouha doesn't make a good first impression, even though it's too early to say for me

sure would be a huge bummer if this was their first dud (although not too surprising after the singles)

Slowdive

Banned
To celebrate the 3rd anniversary of WACK and SCRAMBLES there's going to be a WACK shuffle unit album out on December 6th.

Tracklist:

01. Spark (Original: BiSH )
02. Orchestra (Original: BiSH)
03. Nerve (Original: BiS )
04. gives (Original: BiS)
05. Plastic 2 Mercy (Original: GANG PARADE )
06. LabaSaw ~ lover soul ~ (Original: Shibasaki Kou )
07. Flying humanoid (Original: Shoko Nakagawa )
08. Roof top sky (Original: Buzz 72 +)
09. WACK is FXXK / SAiNT SEX
10. Title TBD / EMPiRE

あっこゴリラ「GREEN QUEEN × PARKGOLF」

ほのかりん 『東京』MV(フルver.)

Top Bottom