• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

ORESAMA / 流星ダンスフロア -MUSIC VIDEO-

Fun fact: apparently Dance for Philosophy's name is supposed to be an homage to Alejandro Jodorowsky's "The Dance of Reality" and "Philosophy of the World" by The Shaggs. I saw this on their wikipedia page the other day and thought it was just about the weirdest and most unexpected bit of trivia imaginable.

Anybody listen to the new 印象派 (Inshow ha) album from this month? I like 球状 a lot.

I love pretty much every song on the album. Not sure yet how I'd compare it to their other stuff but it's better than most of the albums I've heard recently. Maybe a 2017 top ten.

Kansoku

メロウ・イエロー・バナナムーン - 胸の裏

Anybody listen to the new 印象派 (Inshow ha) album from this month? I like 球状 a lot.

I LOVE the first half, but the other half is pretty weak, especially 球状, 僕らは永遠じゃない and Woman"Wの悲劇"より

Kurita

good shit

yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC0cZyjW7Z4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mFrhS3ywEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTkCydC2VF4

Grabbed Mafumafu's new album. The instrumentals are so great. I guess that's normal for a dude that has been a big part of the vocaloid scene, vocaloid producers always go all out lol
I guess when they realized they could use a voice however they please they basically stopped giving a fuck about tempo and everything haha, so it's always impressive when utaites like Mafumafu manage to pull it off with their own voice.
(If you're allergic to high pitched voices tho it's a big no-no lol)
https://youtu.be/vU3oF90WKpw
https://youtu.be/yV0j3-SGaYA

Nor501

I found my next Japanese music obsession, Backdrop Cinderella. Normally I can't stand Ska but they are just too good. My only complaint is they're not on iTunes as far as I can tell.

Someone ranked female idol groups based on the number of hits their wikipedia pages got in the last 60 days and I thought it was interesting.

DMEJvsoUIAA-hzq.jpg

DMEJzccVAAA-hmw.jpg

DMEJ0ZWVAAA9o3q.jpg

DMEJ1PvVAAAbczy.jpg

Slowdive

Banned
Someone ranked female idol groups based on the number of hits their wikipedia pages got in the last 60 days and I thought it was interesting.

I saw this and some people were surprised at how high BiS were, I'm not, the Pour Lui "scandal" surely got them and BiSH some extra hits.

I saw this and some people were surprised at how high BiS were, I'm not, the Pour Lui "scandal" surely got them and BiSH some extra hits.

I think the BiSH ranking is pretty close to their actual popularity but BiS is definitely inflated due to recent controversy.

Weird list. Some obvious ones missing and some weird additions on there

It's notably missing groups like E-girls and others that make it a point to say they're not idols and are therefore not in the idol category on wikipedia.

SifuSeafood

Neo Member
Been on GAF for awhile (and I'm a lurker) but never really ventured beyond the Gaming side...

Any れをる/REOL fans?

REOL's latest album is pretty damn good.

B12's chorus is so dope and catchy. Really fun and energetic song.

Endless Line has some really cool melodies, too.

Larsa

Been on GAF for awhile (and I'm a lurker) but never really ventured beyond the Gaming side...

Any れをる/REOL fans?

Yeah it's pretty nice. It's a bummer that it's their last release though.They didn't last long as an official group. Hope they keep working together occasionally like they did before REOL the group though.I would love another album like No Title-.

SifuSeafood

Neo Member
Yeah it's pretty nice. It's a bummer that it's their last release though.They didn't last long as an official group. Hope they keep working together occasionally like they did before REOL the group though.I would love another album like No Title-.

Yeah, it seemed like Okiku was the one who initiated the separation, iirc. I don't think Giga and Reol would stop making music together unless there were other issues.

Jintor

Think I'm planning a trip over in late April/May next year... any kind of Live calender thingy I can take a look at?

(Already checked for Charisma dot com, they're only showing until Jan atm :T)

Any れをる/REOL fans?

Is it truly the last album for them? I love that they finally recorded Luvoratory, seriously my favorite vocaloid song and it turned out so good!

No title- is amazing. One of my favorite albums ever. I'm a big Giga fan.

Aizo

Banned
Just discovered Ketsumeishi. Wow.
Whatyearisit.img

I really liked them in high school, though. What song were you enjoying most?
Think I'm planning a trip over in late April/May next year... any kind of Live calender thingy I can take a look at?

(Already checked for Charisma dot com, they're only showing until Jan atm :T)
This isn't everything, but it's a good start for sure.
http://skream.jp/live_info/
Good Bye Good Girl is like the only song I ever liked by her. I showed it to my DJ friend a while back, and he actually just released a remix last week. I wish she always sounded like that.

Kurita

Also that new DAOKO song is so catchy...

Yeah I really can't get enough of it. Discretely pulling of some of the moves from the video every time I listen to it.

--
まふまふ - 終点
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAl_QDJfL08
Can't get enough of his new album
Digest version of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGVhC1JzIuA

Also, it's pretty much widely accepted that he's the vocalist for 神様、僕は気づいてしまった, the breakout band of 2017.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzdyH6gmpSo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YShUwrlc2kM
If it's really him I'm not sure what's the point of hiding it anymore lol, especially when he's also part of the unit After the Rain where you can kinda see his face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkISTgA3DZs
(well I guess the other members also want to stay anonymous)

--R

Banned
Hey guys, been lurking for a while. I've been trying to fill a playlist with Japanese Music but I can't find a lot that I like. For now I enjoy Charisma.com, Wednesday Campanella, Gesu Kiwa and Shishamo. What can you recommend based on that? I also like Indigo la End but there are some albums missing in Apple Music.

Thanks!

Not really music but it looks like US Netflix may actually be getting the Hiragana Keyakizaka series Re:Mind. Popped up in a search and, although the page isn't working now, saw this cached:

Cj9xxuE.jpg

Music link: Will be interesting to see what song they pick for the show.

Edit: The more I look at this, I'm thinking the page might just be an auto translate from Netflix Japan, so who knows on a US release. Sorry to get any hopes up; throw me in a dungeon dining room if needed.

Jintor

Hey guys, been lurking for a while. I've been trying to fill a playlist with Japanese Music but I can't find a lot that I like. For now I enjoy Charisma.com, Wednesday Campanella, Gesu Kiwa and Shishamo. What can you recommend based on that? I also like Indigo la End but there are some albums missing in Apple Music.

Thanks!

I like Charisma and Shishamo too, so a few bands I also like... Polkadot Stingray, Radwimps, Kinoko Teikoku, Asian Kung-Fu generation, Supercar

Kurita

Thanks!
In addition to Jintor's recommendation :
yonige
Ivy to Fraudulent Game
Dadaray (the vocalist of Gesu and indigo la End is the one writing the songs)
mol-74

I don't know what will be on your local Apple Music tho, sorry

Ryuukan

Thanks!

moumoon

then the above posts bands

Jintor

Hrmmm, think I want a DAOKO album as well... what's the best get? and maybe a shoegaze one... and I think maybe an album from ミツメ... although maybe I should hold off since I know i'll have to get another shipment at end of Nov when Splatune 2 drops (i'll grab the Polkadot Stingray album around the same time)

any thoughts jmusgaf?

Kurita

Hrmmm, think I want a DAOKO album as well... what's the best get? and maybe a shoegaze one... and I think maybe an album from ミツメ... although maybe I should hold off since I know i'll have to get another shipment at end of Nov when Splatune 2 drops (i'll grab the Polkadot Stingray album around the same time)

any thoughts jmusgaf?
Can't go wrong with her self-titled album.
Depends what kind of Daoko you like. You might want to wait for a new one of you like the more pop-oriented stuff she's been doing lately.

New Negoto album on December 16

Namie Amuro's website updated with album covers that will be beneath the slipccase. They are beautiful of course, and also sample photos of all the store-exclusive posters. I want the poster with her and the blue flowers :(
Also shows the complete tracklisting for Finally. The last unannounced song is "In Two"
Whatever that means.

Namie Amuro - Finally details

any thoughts jmusgaf?

Personally I think her self-titled DAOKO album strikes the best balance between old daoko and new DAOKO: still a whispery rapper, but more pop influence than dimension and Hyper Girl. I'm personally extremely skeptical of nearly everything she's released since then (ShibuyaK and Bang! were good, but boy does it go downhill from there), but if you end up liking the recent collabs she's done, then maybe wait for a new album and avoid everything that came before, they're very different periods in her career.

Jintor

Personally I think her self-titled DAOKO album strikes the best balance between old daoko and new DAOKO: still a whispery rapper, but more pop influence than dimension and Hyper Girl. I'm personally extremely skeptical of nearly everything she's released since then (ShibuyaK and Bang! were good, but boy does it go downhill from there), but if you end up liking the recent collabs she's done, then maybe wait for a new album and avoid everything that came before, they're very different periods in her career.

I'm into both... I think. (Though I fucking love step up love)

Thanks for the thinking ya'll

Top Bottom